ADVERTISEMENT

Some GOP rivals offer more measured criticism of latest Trump indictment

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Many Republicans, including Donald Trump’s 2024 rivals for the White House, reacted with fury in April when the former president was indicted by a New York prosecutor. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis called the move “un-American.” Republican chairwoman Ronna McDaniel described it as a “blatant abuse of power” that “endangers us all.” Former vice president Mike Pence called it “an outrage.”

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

But those same people initially offered more tempered reactions on Tuesday, when Trump faced his second major indictment by a federal prosecutor, this time for his role in efforts to disrupt the transfer of power after the 2020 election.
DeSantis’s first response railed against the “weaponization of the federal government” but withheld judgment on the indictment itself, which the governor said he had not read.

McDaniel did not release a statement.

ADVERTISING

And Pence, who testified before the grand jury that issued the latest indictment, appeared minutes after the announcement at a virtual town hall for Principles First, a bipartisan group made up largely of Republicans who have condemned Trump’s actions after the 2020 election. Pence was praised by the moderator for “standing in the breach” on Jan. 6, 2021, and “doing what the Constitution requires.”
“The former president is entitled to the presumption of innocence but with this indictment, his candidacy means more talk about January 6th and more distractions,” Pence said in a statement Tuesday.
The shifts reflect both the differing substance of Trump’s legal troubles and the growing combativeness of the Republican primary field, most of whom will meet later this month for their first debate. While the first indictment concerned allegedly falsified business records and personal hush money payments, the subsequent, federal indictments since have accused Trump of mishandling classified records and conspiring to undermine the fundamental integrity of the nation’s electoral system.
The four-count, 45-page indictment Tuesday accused Trump of three distinct conspiracies, charging that he conspired to defraud the United States, conspired to obstruct an official proceeding and conspired against people’s rights in the aftermath of the 2020 election.

Other candidates for president reacted to the news by directly criticizing the party’s most recent leader. Former Arkansas governor Asa Hutchinson reiterated his calls for Trump to pause his campaign until he resolved the indictments against him.

“Let me be crystal clear: Trump’s presidential bid is driven by an attempt to stay out of prison and scam his supporters into footing his legal bills,” said former congressman Will Hurd of Texas, who is running for president with little support in public polls.
After Trump announced on his Truth Social page his expectation of an indictment, allies began circulating a fundraising solicitation on social media. His campaign sent out an email asking for money that would be split between his campaign and his leadership PAC, which has been funding much of his legal defense.
“As you know, I did nothing wrong. It’s well-documented that I told Americans to act ‘PEACEFULLY’ and discouraged the use of any violence,” the email read. “This is nothing but an egregious act of Election Interference and a final act of desperation from Crooked Joe as he crashes in the polls.”

Trump’s legal troubles have so far presented short-term boosts to his political fortunes, as measured both in polling and small-dollar fundraising, with Republican voters rallying to his defense. Rival campaigns have complained about the resulting boost in free media coverage he has received that often shuts out their messages. Both metrics showed increases after the FBI raided his Mar-a-Lago estate last year, after his indictment by New York prosecutors for alleged hush money payments and after his indictment by federal prosecutors for his alleged mishandling of classified documents.
Leaders of Never Back Down, an outside group supporting DeSantis, took out millions in advertising this spring, around the time of Trump’s first indictment by New York prosecutors, in an effort to blunt the rise in polling they expected in early nominating states. They say their data subsequently showed DeSantis’s polling held up better in states where their ads ran, despite overall declines through the summer months. Rival campaigns say they also believe the boosts from the indictments have been wearing off, a fact that has been reflected in recent filings to Trump’s joint fundraising committee and national polling averages.
DeSantis — who, though weakened, remains Trump’s most formidable rival — has since stepped up his attacks on the former president, arguing that Trump will face an electability problem in a general election. He has also said that Trump should have “come out more forcefully” to stop the riots at the Capitol after they began. But DeSantis has been careful not to tie that argument directly to the federal investigations of Trump, which DeSantis has argued result from an overzealous and politicized Justice Department.

“There are too many voters who are just not going to vote for him going forward,” DeSantis said of Trump in a Monday interview with Fox News.
DeSantis has said that, if elected president, he would pardon Trump of any federal convictions, following the model of President Gerald Ford’s pardon of his predecessor, Richard M. Nixon. Other candidates, including Pence and South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, have avoided giving definitive answers on the question of a pardon, saying that it was premature to make such a determination before a trial.
Vivek Ramaswamy remained consistent with his previous condemnations of the Trump prosecutions. “This is un-American & I commit to pardoning Trump for this indictment. Donald Trump isn’t the cause of what happened on Jan. 6,” he said in a statement.

Hutchinson, a former federal prosecutor who has struggled to get polling traction, has said he would not support a pardon. He has predicted that the short-term boost the prosecutions have provided Trump will wear off in the coming months.

“Over the long term, you have to believe that people are going to understand the seriousness of it,” Hutchinson said about Trump’s legal jeopardy, in an interview before the latest indictment. “People are going to understand the challenge of being the president, or even being a candidate, with multiple indictments against you, and that it is going to jeopardize us winning in 2024.”
Trump’s fiercest critic on the campaign trail, Chris Christie, has said he “can’t imagine” pardoning Trump if he has a fair trial. After charges were added to Trump’s federal case over classified documents, Christie, in an appearance on CNN, described Trump’s team as clumsy mobsters.

“These guys were acting like the Corleones with no experience,” he said, a reference to the mob family in the Godfather movie series.

Pence’s comments Tuesday marked a subtle shift from his recent rhetoric on the trail.
“I hope that with the possibility of another indictment coming against the president, I hope it doesn’t come to that,” he said on July 20, when asked about a possible charge over Trump’s actions after the 2020 elections. “The truth is that the Department of Justice has lost credibility.”

I’ve been watching FOX News summary of todays events….Baier and guests…..Their position is that really none of this stuff ever happened and it’s just fabrication of Democrats. Their denial of what I watched on TV post election ‘20 to today is total and complete. All these guys tell half truths, disparage facts and evidence turned up by the SP and short-sheet all the indictments (“they will never be able to prove that in a Court of Law”)…..What pix of FOX does Trump have?
I know what I have seen on TV…..and Trump may not ever go to jail…but it wont be because he is “not guilty” but more for the position he held and does America really want to send an ex-POTUS to prison?

I’ve been watching FOX News summary of todays events….Baier and guests…..Their position is that really none of this stuff ever happened and it’s just fabrication of Democrats. Their denial of what I watched on TV post election ‘20 to today is total and complete. All these guys tell half truths, disparage facts and evidence turned up by the SP and short-sheet all the indictments (“they will never be able to prove that in a Court of Law”)…..What pix of FOX does Trump have?
I know what I have seen on TV…..and Trump may not ever go to jail…but it wont be because he is “not guilty” but more for the position he held and does America really want to send an ex-POTUS to prison?
This one absolutely. The damage that he has done and is continuing to do to our nation it may never fully recover from.

If "this indictment is an outrage", then we need clear legislation that you CAN indict and convict (and by default then remove) a sitting President.

Because that was their argument back then: Impeachment and Removal is the remedy, yet they would not fulfill their Constitutional obligations to remove an unfit man and criminal from the WH.

So, here we are. THEIR actions led us to this.

You cannot have it both ways, and preserve the Constitution and democracy as a whole.

Either choose your fascist party, or choose the Constitution and democratic ideals.
You cannot do both here.

This is the last chance for GOP candidates to reveal their essence:

Patriot or Partisan?

Only one choice can be made and any continued pandering to Trump voters makes that candidate unfit for the Oval Office.

How many “last chances” do they get? I mean seriously, they have had SO MANY opportunities to politically divorce themselves from Trump.

But their fear of his MAGA base has led to pandering instead. Which I don’t get because those supporters have nowhere else to go.

“"Let me be crystal clear: Trump’s presidential bid is driven by an attempt to stay out of prison and scam his supporters into footing his legal bills,” said former congressman Will Hurd of Texas"

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

If they actually have something he did that was illegal, fine, string him up. But if they steamroll 'not wanting to lose' into a conviction, our democracy is dead.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkMD
The one charge that wasn't included is Inciting a Riot. That should have been a slam dunk.

If they actually have something he did that was illegal, fine, string him up. But if they steamroll 'not wanting to lose' into a conviction, our democracy is dead.
So, you're saying you did not read the indictment, and do not understand that what he did was, indeed, illegal.

Reactions: cigaretteman
So, you're saying you did not read the indictment, and do not understand that what he did was, indeed, illegal.

The Right doesn't accept anything. Anything. The facts provided during the Jan. 6 Committee hearing was compelling, "factual", included in Jack's discovery, and obvious to everyone watching or willing to follow legitimate news reporting.

Since, indictments have indicated charges that substantiate and cross reference criminality, including conspiracy. It takes trial to determine guilt, but direct testimony (to the Committee) so far leaves no doubt. Attorneys had recommended the attorneys representing parties involved in the conspiracy needed to immediately "attorney-up".

The Georgia case is the Orange Turd's nemesis. Their legislature is trying to shut the AG down. How would history judge this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT