ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts from the spring game

do bear in mind at least that the weather in iowa city was crappy. low 50s, decent chance of rain all day, windy...these conditions would have hampered spring game attendance anywhere. iowa does not, and never has, have a tradition of great turnout at this event. honestly, what's the most that have ever shown up? i'm not intending this to be a defense of ferentz, as i think he has at most 2, maybe 3 years left. i do think that he goes past this coming year, but mostly b/c of the uncertainty surrounding the iowa presidency. a new university president is not expected until 2016, and unless things go completely in the tank (4-8 or so), i'm not sure barta makes a move without knowing he has steady support behind him.

in better weather, i absolutely believe turnout would have been better. how much, i have no idea, but for the increasingly rabid anti-ferentz, choosing this to harp on seems like a waste. bad weather, coming off average season and embarrassing bowl game, as well as drake relays, etc..., there wasnt going to be great turnout. comparing this to nebraska, which has no one else to compete with in the state, had much better weather, or with ohio state, which just won the national championship, come on. no way iowa ever comes off well in that comparison. how much did northwestern draw back in march when they had theirs? or minnesota, or others in that range. so many things play a factor in this. of all the things to criticize ferentz for, and there are quite a few, this is not the best choice imo.

i have great respect for ferentz. what he has done with iowa over the length of his tenure here, has been wonderful. he has represented iowa well, on and off the field, which matters a great deal to me. the last few years have not been great, as he has not adjusted well to the changes in the college game. i hope like heck that he can end it on a high note, and ride off into the sunset so to speak, leaving behind a foundation that his successor can build on. and there is talent there, it's not the bare cupboard it was when he arrived. what is hurting the team now is not enough of it, especially in the skill positions.

The U of M had 11,000 at their Spring Game

Reactions: ichawk24
We better improve the punting game and we may need to add a few more punters to the scholly roles because this unit will be getting the most reps when the actual season rolls around.

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
My point wasn't necessarily the low attendance but rather the U of I athletic department's overly optimistic/dishonest estimation. The football program has been trending downward since 2010; rather than doing what it takes to change that the AD and his lackeys try to spin the truth.

Reactions: Senor Martinez
BTW, it's official, the baseball team gets bigger crowds than the football team.

And they should.

Personally, I think the great fans of the Hawkeyes should stay away in droves this year (should things start as bad as most fear), FORCE the change.

Keep putting 60K in the stands, and Barta will just continue to spin his bullshat and extend tailgate hours.

Reactions: Senor Martinez
More than likely Iowa will go 12-0 this year and lose in the Big Ten championship game to miss the playoffs.

That would almost be as BAU as BAU goes if it weren't for the fact that Iowa winning 12 games in a season is not allowed by the NCAA let alone the Big Ten.

BTW, it's official, the baseball team gets bigger crowds than the football team.

And they should.

Personally, I think the great fans of the Hawkeyes should stay away in droves this year (should things start as bad as most fear), FORCE the change.

Keep putting 60K in the stands, and Barta will just continue to spin his bullshat and extend tailgate hours.
Given who will likely be the starting qb at Ill. State, and the teams' finish last fall... there's a VERY real possibility Iowa loses that first home game. Can you imagine what we will hear from the apologists if Iowa loses, or if they have a Ball State-like game? The stadium will be 2/3 full by the time the conference season rolls around.

This thread should be awarded for insight and expert opinions.
troll-award_o_330925.jpg

It's really tough to gauge anything from a single spring practice. IMHO, the defense looked cohesive, disciplined, and occasionally salty ... but that was against an offense they were familiar with and that doesn't appear, at least so far, to be very good. It SEEMS like the defense will be good enough to keep Iowa in most games, meaning we could see some close games against comparable mediocre teams. To call the offense a work in progress, however, would be putting it kindly. They simply couldn't make the big pass play or display the kind of consistency needed to help beat better foes. There were flashes of good play and a couple of notable individuals--Mitchell looks the part of a very nice all around BIG running back, for instance, and we really need Canzeri to stay healthy because he has the potential to have a very good senior year--but the inability of our wide receivers to gain separation or make the big catch was glaring. An athletic youngster like Jay Scheel could evolve to help things out but this continuing concern, combined with below average offensive line play, at least so far, will make Beathard's job all the more difficult. He's got to stay healthy and play smart (choosing when to throw the short, safe route versus rising the home run). While the running game should be improved (how could it not be?), it looks to me like the lack of a serious passing game means the defense will have to carry an undue portion of the the load for this team to be anything beyond mediocre or worse. Having said that, I was really impressed with player attitude--they're working very hard and seem very attentive to the coaches, certainly to Ferentz--so it's hard to know how things might play out in the fall. Should be interesting ... I for one will be in the stands, cheering for these young student athletes to surprise the naysayers and critics. You never know.

Spring Game: I seen 1800-2000 fans at most. Weather wasn't that bad. Game play was bad except for a few. WR's look average at best. QB play was way off. OL left gaps that our D missed repeatedly.Punting will crush any hopes of winning more then 4. Speed well routed receivers will blow past these LB's. Their simply is no QB backup.RB's look good, but this was a practice game.

I think it is possible we lose all 12 games, 4-8 at best. If even one of six key players are injured, 2-10.

Positives: the bathrooms were less busy.

This is KF last season. ! Lame duck season and his last.

Spring Game: I seen 1800-2000 fans at most. Weather wasn't that bad. Game play was bad except for a few. WR's look average at best. QB play was way off. OL left gaps that our D missed repeatedly.Punting will crush any hopes of winning more then 4. Speed well routed receivers will blow past these LB's. Their simply is no QB backup.RB's look good, but this was a practice game.

I think it is possible we lose all 12 games, 4-8 at best. If even one of six key players are injured, 2-10.

Seriously of all your negative comments about the team being bad next year and not winning 4 the blame is placed on Punting. Yes the punt game is why we won't win more than 4. Got it. Granted our punters aren't very good but come on.

Reactions: ichawk24

Spot on !

Are you even a hawk fan or just a husker with nothing better to do than troll the Iowa boards? I could see u as that Matt foley guy too

I agree. The team's attitude seems tougher than last year. The defense is playing with an attitude; Brandon Snyder reminds me of Bob Sanders. He made several big hits and intercepted a pass. Our linebacker play is much improved. I think our RBs look better as well, with Mitchell a welcome addition to the roster.

My three areas of concern for this coming season are: 1) o-line play; 2) punting (punting, punt coverage, punt return); 3) receiver play. Our receivers are still dropping too many passes. I'll give KF the benefit of the doubt on #1, since that's his area of expertise. Kidd looked good yesterday, averaging approx 46y/punt going into/with the wind, and if Koehn could figure out how to harness his raw power, he could be a real weapon for punting. His form is extremely inconsistent at the moment, but even with his punts going end over end, he still averaged approx 40y/punt.
I'm not saying he doesn't cause I've never seen Brandon Snyder play but Bob Sanders "really" that's a mighty tall hill you're trying to climb.

The best running back on the team is Wadley. It isn't even close. Daniels has never looked that good to me and it appears he didn't do much in the spring game. Mitchell seems to be already better than him and he just moved to RB. But the oline needs to really work hard in the offseason and fall camp in order for next year's team to do anything. Hopefully Welsh comes back to school.

per marcmorehouse of the gazette. he says andre harris he appears lost in the depth chart. .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT