ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to see the strategy with KJ

Feb 25, 2008
Kaleb came into this season the clear #1, but injuries and, let's be honest, the improved play of both Williams and Patterson saw changes in how Iowa had to delegate the carries.

Then in these last handful of games, we started seeing Williams and even Patterson start to get the bulk of the carries, especially in the 1st half.

However, it started to dawn on me last game and then became clear today.

Their plan, given the injuries to a degree, but also wanting to keep guys fresh, is to pound on teams with Williams and Patterson, and then let the home run threat in KJ take over later in the game with fresh legs.

And it has worked almost to perfection these last few games, including tonight with the game-clinching TD run.

Am I on to something or is it just how things have been working out these past few games for the Hawks?

So you don’t play your best running back with home run threat until the last couple of series of the game? I mean it is the iowa offense so nothing makes sense but that seems to be very foolish if that is indeed the case.
What exactly is your criteria for "best"? Have you thought that each of the 3 backs are the "best" at something and they all are different?

KJ is our biggest back and best home run threat, yes. I think Jaz runs really hard and is the quickest to the hole, great for short yardage. I think Leshon is better between the tackles with the tough yards than KJ. They have all shown the ability to catch.

I like the plan of Leshon early, KJ late and sprinkling Jaz in between.

I really don’t understand jazz as a third down/short yardage guy. How many passes has he caught? Can’t push a pile on a sneak. Doesn’t do well with contact.

I'm just glad we're fortunate enough to have 3 RBs that have all been successful and won us games. Swapping them out every so often to keep them fresh, along with each have their own running style, helps against a tired defense.

I really don’t understand jazz as a third down/short yardage guy. How many passes has he caught? Can’t push a pile on a sneak. Doesn’t do well with contact.
Because he has shown he can catch out of the backfield and he is not afraid to pick up the blitz. He also steals some possessions to keep the other 2 fresh.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Be nice if we threw to them a bit more like actual pro offenses.........
Yes, it would, but the way these defenses are playing us by keeping all those defenders in the box they are taking away the screen game and daring us to beat them downfield. It looks way easier against our defense because we stay with 2 safeties all the time and rarely man up on the edge.

It is why a team like Illinois can be so effective against the run, rush the passer and seem to cover everything tight but yet give up like 50 against a team like Indiana. With their dline talent it is a tough match up for us.

Kaleb came into this season the clear #1, but injuries and, let's be honest, the improved play of both Williams and Patterson saw changes in how Iowa had to delegate the carries.

Then in these last handful of games, we started seeing Williams and even Patterson start to get the bulk of the carries, especially in the 1st half.

However, it started to dawn on me last game and then became clear today.

Their plan, given the injuries to a degree, but also wanting to keep guys fresh, is to pound on teams with Williams and Patterson, and then let the home run threat in KJ take over later in the game with fresh legs.

And it has worked almost to perfection these last few games, including tonight with the game-clinching TD run.

Am I on to something or is it just how things have been working out these past few games for the Hawks?
Serious question- Is this the first year you have been watching Iowa football under Kirk Ferentz?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT