ADVERTISEMENT

Still think 4 losses wins B1G

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

HR Heisman
Apr 17, 2002
I made this post when conference play started. It still looks like if Iowa goes 6-3 down the stretch they'll finally be champs!

I think so, Maryland is not a good road team and will lose at least 2 more games on the road (barely got by OSU yesterday).

Iowa has some tough games left (@IU, @OSU, @MICH). Have to win at least 1 of those otherwise we will be trouble.

I think so, Maryland is not a good road team and will lose at least 2 more games on the road (barely got by OSU yesterday).

Iowa has some tough games left (@IU, @OSU, @MICH). Have to win at least 1 of those otherwise we will be trouble.
Agree. Especially because there's always a chance we'll drop a game we shouldn't.

Reactions: perryhawk
If Iowa gets to 10-1, as it should, then it has a clear path to 15-3 and an outright title. If they go through the first 11 games, the toughest part of the schedule, and only lose once, it's not a huge stretch to believe they can go 5 and 2 after that, at least.

14-4 probably is Title or share of Title. 15-3 seems likely outright title,

I think we were 13-5 and in 3-way tie last time we shared a B1G title. MSU was the class of B1G that year. Been a long time.

Reactions: hansenhawk
I think 14-4 gets at least a share of the B1G, especially if we at least split with IU. I want a 15-3 record and a number one seed, but that is still a tall order.
I think we're gonna finish 15-3 so I think you'll be very happy. I could see us going 16-2 if we continue to commit at the defensive end the rest of the way. We are the best TEAM in the conference this year.

Reactions: HawkeyeSmitty4
I think we're gonna finish 15-3 so I think you'll be very happy. I could see us going 16-2 if we continue to commit at the defensive end the rest of the way. We are the best TEAM in the conference this year.
I hope you are right, but I think you are underestimating how hard it is to win every game against lesser, but still very talented, teams, especially on the road.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Don't see three more losses on our schedule.

This. Iowa is a better team, even on the road, than anyone they play the rest of the year. That doesn't mean they will go 8-1/9-0 the 2nd half. However, I'd bet they have a better chance of going 8-1/9-0 than they do going 6-3 the rest of the way, barring injuries. If a starter got hurt for significant time, a few games, or a top reserve, that changes things.

I don't get how we can go 8-1 through the first half(tougher half) of the season and people seem to think we can't do better than 7-2 or 6-3 in our easier half of the season....

Sure, nothing is a guarantee......but damn have a little faith :)

Reactions: brokenarrow73
No. Co-champs would be a disappointment right now. It's our race to lose, plain and simple.

I hope you are right, but I think you are underestimating how hard it is to win every game against lesser, but still very talented, teams, especially on the road.

what I don't understand is how we can suck at recruiting & now expectations of 14-4 or 15-3 seem to be the norm...

all of the remaining away games are difficult for the reasons you just gave ...all of them.

agreed. all of the road games are scary to me. but that's my heart talking. that's "Iowa's history" talking. when I look at it logically I can see no way we finish worse than 15-3. this year's team is just too good to logically lose @Illinois or home to Indiana, for example.

will we take care of business? i think so. I think we lose @Indiana and @Michigan (if Lavert returns). I see those as the only logical threat's remaining on the schedule.

agreed. all of the road games are scary to me. but that's my heart talking. that's "Iowa's history" talking. when I look at it logically I can see no way we finish worse than 15-3. this year's team is just too good to logically lose @Illinois or home to Indiana, for example.

will we take care of business? i think so. I think we lose @Indiana and @Michigan (if Lavert returns). I see those as the only logical threat's remaining on the schedule.
what I don't understand is how we can suck at recruiting & now expectations of 14-4 or 15-3 seem to be the norm...

all of the remaining away games are difficult for the reasons you just gave ...all of them.
The expectations of some fans go up and down like a roller coaster. That often leads to criticizing the players and coach, when inflated expectations aren't met. I would love to see the Hawks go 15-3 and win our first outright B1G championship, but that will take some tremendous play and some luck.

Maryland's tough games are 2 vs Purdue and at Indiana. Think it is unlikely they lose all 3 so 4 losses won't do it. Now Indiana...they play @Mich St, home vs Maryland, home vs Purdue and two vs us. We might have to sweep them the way they looked tonight.

The expectations of some fans go up and down like a roller coaster. That often leads to criticizing the players and coach, when inflated expectations aren't met. I would love to see the Hawks go 15-3 and win our first outright B1G championship, but that will take some tremendous play and some luck.

15-3 is not, in any way, an "inflated expectation." This team has the talent, depth, and mental strength to defeat every single opponent that remains on their schedule...without the benefit of luck. Iowa has proven, through their on-court performances, that they are an elite basketball team this season. all the metrics bear that out as being true. we're better than every single team left on our schedule. we're not going to win them all, of course we're not. nor should we expect them to. but for us to expect them to win all the home games and drop a couple on the road is well within the realm of "realistic."

they might go 15-3, they might not. to say that they will, however, is not an inflated expectation.

15-3 is definitely possible. I worry about other posters who are suggesting that the Hawks could do better, and then will wonder who to blame when the Hawks lose a couple of games. I also believe that 15-3 won't be nearly as easy as some believe.

Reactions: HawkeyeSmitty4
I think the Hawks will win out in conference, but if they don't, they don't. There may be some nail biter's, there may be some we overwhelm our opponents. I won't ever blame the coaching or the players if it doesn't happen. One thing I'm certain of is this team will be out there doing everything that they can to win each and every game, and that's good enough for me . I will be enjoying the games. This team isn't made up of professionals but some may be one day, just now they are college kids doing their best. They will most likely exceed my expectations this year as I felt 12-6 is where they would end up in the B1G . It's been great so far, hope they continue on to my new goal 17-1 in the B1G and sweet 16 or better.

I've made the mistake before of counting ahead the victories that SHOULD happen, based on past results. Iowa can lose to anyone in the conference, at least on the road. One can't take for granted that all the players will stay healthy or that the shots will continue to drop. It's been a great ride and I hope and think it will continue, but crazier things have happened.

As this shakes out it looks more and more like15-3 is going to be needed to win or possibly share the title. Maryland has home games with Purdue, Wisky & Michigan. They have not lost at home since joining the B1G. Purdue is probably the best chance for an upset. I think they take all 3 of these. That leaves @Purdue & @Indiana. If they win at home and lose both of those on the road that's 14-4. If they get a road split that's 15-3.

Indiana has 2 with Iowa, @MSU, home with Purdue & Maryland. Hold serve at home and lose at Iowa & MSU and that's 15-3.

Iowa has road games at IL, Indiana, OSU & Michigan. Wisky & Indiana at home. Lots of work to do to get to 15-3. I listed at IL for us because that's tradinituonally a tough one for us.

This assumes beating the Minny, PSU's for these teams.

Don't think it's unrealistic to think the Hawks drop a game they shouldn't. Wiscy lost to Rutgers last year. These are college kids...

Don't think it's unrealistic to think the Hawks drop a game they shouldn't. Wiscy lost to Rutgers last year. These are college kids...

from one perspective I completely agree with your point. they are college kids and (historically) can be prone to mental lapses.

from another angle--when looking at Iowa's roster vs. the rosters of the rest of our schedule--it would be hard to make the argument against us winning every game (except @Indiana and @Michigan w/ Lavert). To whom would we lose? Are there games that worry me? of course. I will always be worried about playing @Illinois or against Wisconsin. I suppose that was my original point: those fears are based on past performances, not present results. my heart tells me that we'll lose 2-4 more games...but my head tells me that we probably only lose once more.

regardless, this team is so much fun. it's just been so unreal to me. love it.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I think the odds are better at winning out than filling the student section at CHA. Pretty pathetic turnout last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT