ADVERTISEMENT

Stupid BIG, the 9 game conf games DON’T F’N MATTER! UGA has played 3 non-con cupcakes + Vandy and jump OSU who has played one more conf game + ND.

OP is spot on. Absent any consistent scheduling across all power conferences, it’s dumb on the BIGs part. At least in terms of college football playoff rankings. I guess an argument could be made that is maximizes the value of the league more (tix sales and Tv deal). But I’m skeptical of that.

I also hate the SEC echo chamber as much as the next guy, but I do have to give them credit. 8 conference games, patsy out of conference schedules, AND they schedule one of those OOC games near the end of the year which gives them another bye week.

It’s going the other direction when it comes to conference games. The SEC actually proposed to ESPN to add a 9th conference game but ESPN didn’t have the money at the time and the SEC isn’t going to do it without some financial reward. Give it a few years and both the SEC and BigTen will be playing 10 games. Eventually it will get to 12 if you really think about it.

Georgia’s only other non-conf game is against Georgia Tech. That is why we need to go back to 8 conf games. Ole Miss was also only rated high because of their non-conf cupcakes and one less conf game.

I give SEC leadership high marks for not making stupid decisions.
Their league is tough enough. Look at Michigan's schedule for Christ's sake

• Haha
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Two divisions of nine equals as balanced of an eight game B1G schedule as you’re gonna get. Just saying!

To be fair, the BIG West is a bunch of cupcakes this year, so it’s basically free wins for the Big 3 in the East.

Reactions: preshlock
Georgia’s only other non-conf game is against Georgia Tech. That is why we need to go back to 8 conf games. Ole Miss was also only rated high because of their non-conf cupcakes and one less conf game.

Look at this weekends schedule across the SEC; lots of top teams playing their 4th non-conference cupcake ahead of rivalry games to end the RS. Pathetic padding of W-L records.

I really prefer the idea of adding two more teams and doing 4 pods of 5. You play everyone in your division, and then have cross over with another pod for a 9 game schedule. Everyone in your pod plays the same teams.

Also if the playoff expands to 12 it doesn't really matter.

Without divisions,I think its stupid to have a BIG championship game. The only teams that will play in it will be OSU,Michigan,Oregon,PSU,possibly USC.

Look at this weekends schedule across the SEC; lots of top teams playing their 4th non-conference cupcake ahead of rivalry games to end the RS. Pathetic padding of W-L records.
And stats for end of year awards, etc.

Reactions: INXS83
The CFP ranking is a TV show (until the last one when it's only partially a TV show). ESPN is a Disney TV network. Disney has exclusive SEC rights going forward. So the shilling for the SEC is a surprise..... how?

OK OP here is your 4th non-conf games for Big teams if we go back to 8 conf games

Osu vs Akron
Mich vs East Mich, West Mich, Cent Mich to keep the dollars in state
Mich St vs (see above for Mich)
Iowa vs Miami of Oh
Wisky vs U of Ohio
Purdue vs Toledo
Penn st vs UConn
etc etc etc

All the fans would get is mostly lopsided wins against lesser competition and a worse overall game day experience in the stands and on tv. Big 10 games are great in the fall, Iowa vs Mid Tenn St not much at all

I say the Big goes to 10 game conf sched and prove who the top 2 to 4 teams are and then have them play a semifinals and a Big 10 Champ game

The Big 10 plays 9 conference games for ratings for BTN/TV partners, not because they think it will improve their BCS standings. In fact I'm pretty sure they acknowledge it actually makes it harder. But the money they get from the extra conference game makes it worth it.

There are lots of problems with college football.

The Big Ten playing 9 conference games is the least of them.

If Ohio St wins out, they will have by far the most difficult schedule of any remaining undefeated teams and will be #1. Let the season play out.

14 spots alleviates most of the complaint IMO. No one will feel particularly sorry for a 2/3 loss B10 team that isn’t selected.

More important to force Notre Dame to join a conference and earn it rather than stealing a spot every year.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT