ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan Leaving Michigan St before Arriving

wtf? guess that clears some time for Ward. But why Purdue? If he has 1-and-done/2-and-done talent, doesn't seem to make much sense to go to Purdue where they have decent big guy depth.

It is not technically a transfer situation so I doubt ISU is interested.

wtf? guess that clears some time for Ward. But why Purdue? If he has 1-and-done/2-and-done talent, doesn't seem to make much sense to go to Purdue where they have decent big guy depth.
You're right, that is a bit of a head-scratcher as a career move. Perhaps there's some personal reason he wants to stay closer to home?

Swanigan's Dad (adoption) played for Purdue and for four years in the NFL. Rumors the kid is also looking at Cal.

Speculation on one of the MSU boards is that his guardian/parents want him to stay close and go to Purdue, but he himself wants to follow his buddies to Cal. Can't remember who, but they just landed a great class and Swanigan was supposed to be a package deal with a couple of them.

I have no inside information, but I agree with StormHawk42. Purdue was one of Swanigan's final choices, but they are set in the low post. The advantage would be Swanigan's home town of Fort Wayne isn't super far form West Lafayette. The wild card is Swanigan's legal guardian, Roosevelt Barnes, played football at Purdue.

However, let's analyze what has changed in the last week. Three weeks ago, Swanigan was contemplating joining #8 recruit Ivan Rabb at Cal, but chose MSU. Rabb committed to Cal a few days later. In the last few days, #2 recruit Jaylen Brown announced he's going to Cal. Rabb, Brown & Swanigan would give the Bears three top elite recruits. Playing at a place with a marginal legacy (Jason Kidd, Kevin Johnson, 1959 NCAA Title) might be attractive.

The kicker is, Roosevelt Barnes has a longtime friendship with Cal coach Cuonzo Martin, who played at Purdue.

My $ says Swanigan is Berkeley bound. The good news for Iowa fans would be Swanigan is out of the conference.

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
Cuonzo Martin has had an eye catching recruiting year with or without Swanigan. He has also landed an assistant coach from Louisville, Wyking Jones, just hired in April. The Golden Bears are certainly one of those all of a sudden teams...all of a sudden...suddenly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isiah-thomas/black-males-athletes-and-_b_3232989.html

The co-authors of this article are Isiah Thomas and Na'ilah Suad Nasir. Nasir is the sister-in-law of Wyking Jones, Cal's new assistant basketball coach. She is an Associate professor of African American Studies and Education, at the University of California, Berkeley. Jones, by the way, was recruiting Swanigan at Louisville, and was their "big men" coach.

Personally, I think Swanigan is Cal bound...and there are more cards in play than his Dad just being a friend of Cuonzo Martin. Before anyone thinks I'm making accusations, I'm not. Not more than my usual "Always believe the worst could be true" stance which comes from too many times the worst BEING true in college sports. No, no more than usual in this particular instance. But as I read more info regarding Berkley, etc., I believe Swanigan is heading there precisely because they have a program in place which schools like Michigan State can't duplicate.

It's cool, I get it...a good fit for Swanigan, and his high school buddies. And a good lesson here regarding why college basketball recruiting is not comparable to some professional draft...not all programs are equal and some programs actually do have natural advantages and disadvantages.

Worth a mention that of course I could be dead wrong and Swanigan ends up at Purdue. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: KeyWest Tim
If Swanigan goes to Cal, then I bet future odds of 10:1 that IA will meet Cal in the second round of next year's DANCE, lol...

Swanigan wants to play the 4 and Purdue has Hammons and Haas to play the 5, so Swanigan won't have to be a 5 at Purdue. Not sure other teams can offer that and mean it.

I'm broken hearted that one of the "haves" isn't getting a great player. If he goes to a "have not" school more power to him.

Cal was accused of cheating by Duke and North Carolina in the mid 90's when Shareef Abdur Rahim left Atlanta for Berkeley. His stated reason was they were the only school in the country with a Muslim studies major. Rahim turned pro after one year, and was a first round pick by the Vancouver Grizzlies. His decision was very convenient, as during his Freshman year, coach Todd Bozeman was busted for making payments to point guard Jelani Gardener. Rahim got out out of Dodge without anything sticking to him. People wondered, though.

Bozeman was exiled for a decade, but resurfaced at Morgan State, where he's taken the Bears to the NCAA Tourney 3 times.

One of the unmentioned advantages of One and Done is that, since elite players are going to get a big pay day in a year, there is no reason to pay them.

Given the embarrassment the athletic department felt and a legacy the school would like to forget, I sincerely doubt there is anything underhanded currently going on. With the increased role of AAU these days, it has become common recently for players to create their own package deals. If Swanigan ends up at Cal, this would be one of those cases. Ivan Rabb would be to Cal's Three Amigos what Juwan Howard was to Michigan's Fab Five (the head recruiter).

Ironically, Jaylen Brown is graduating from the same Atlanta high school as Abdur Rahim.

Reading more info on Swanigan and it is sounding more and more like Purdue! Cal has no open scholarships.

Reading more info on Swanigan and it is sounding more and more like Purdue! Cal has no open scholarships.

Cuonzo Martin needs to get on the phone and call up Crean. I'm sure after that Cal will have a open scholly for him.

If Swanigan goes to Purdue, they will see almost exclusively zone defense this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT