ADVERTISEMENT

Swarm CEO article

So you expect the Swarm to bring in nothing but All American's at every position? Because that's just a little bit unrealistic.
No but I also don’t expect people to shell out hard earned cash unless we are in position to recruit some 4* and 5* players either.

No but I also don’t expect people to shell out hard earned cash unless we are in position to recruit some 4* and 5* players either.
But they have to fill out a team. I don’t want five Koen Entringers going to Illinois because they’ll pay him 10k, while Iowa’s weakest link is now a DIII player.

Those kids are important too. At Iowa, maybe more important.

Reactions: littlez
So you expect the Swarm to bring in nothing but All American's at every position? Because that's just a little bit unrealistic.

I don't mean to speak for him, but I think the point might be that folks are looking for payment a bit more commensurate with the level of player. I think he's saying that paying mediocre linemen--or perhaps overpaying--isn't what folks have in mind when they donate.

(Edit--for some reason, my page brought me in before BATL responded on his own)

I don't mean to speak for him, but I think the point might be that folks are looking for payment a bit more commensurate with the level of player. I think he's saying that paying mediocre linemen--or perhaps overpaying--isn't what folks have in mind when they donate.

And I think what Littlez is saying, is you’re CEO isn’t worth much, if you’re not paying the maintenance crew to keep the toilets and elevators working.

It’s all important, but don’t forget about the little guy.

That’s exactly what I’m saying. And I’m not even saying that paying the depth players to fill out the team isn’t important, of course it is.

But the average sports fan isn’t going to care about that and be motivated to donate their money. They want splash players that grab headlines and SportsCenter clips.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Maybe the State of Iowa should raise its minimum wage from the level that was set 18 years ago if they want our football teams to be competitive.
Have you heard of the term 'non-sequitur' ? It applies here.

I doubt many people living on minimum wage jobs are contributing to Iowa NIL or the U of I.

My point is that 2900 is embarrassingly low, especially for a Big Ten school that's had the success we've had over the years. I get it, I don't contribute squat, as I hate what's happening. And if people don't want to contribute I have no problem with it either. I have only 1 friend from my days back at Iowa that I know who is contributing and he has a lot of money and he's not giving much. However, if this is here to stay (5 years, 10 years, etc.) and this is what we have to offer it's going to get pretty ugly. and we're going to lose most recruiting battles for bigger name guys.

My point is that 2900 is embarrassingly low, especially for a Big Ten school that's had the success we've had over the years. I get it, I don't contribute squat, as I hate what's happening. And if people don't want to contribute I have no problem with it either. I have only 1 friend from my days back at Iowa that I know who is contributing and he has a lot of money and he's not giving much. However, if this is here to stay (5 years, 10 years, etc.) and this is what we have to offer it's going to get pretty ugly. and we're going to lose most recruiting battles for bigger name guys.
In other words, things will remain the same as they have for last 100 years, but the money will be above board. ;)

I get what you’re saying, and while I agree and hate it too, I don’t care enough to send them any money. Same page as you.
To each his own, absolutely, and I love when Hawkeye sports are competitive/winning but as I’ve aged I think I’ve gotten wiser to the point where I understand there is a long list of things more important.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
I agree; 2900 is embarassingly low. I just cannot fathom the amount of people that are probably similar to me. Donate to the university, season tickets, travel to away games, money spent on tailgating, B1G plus, and on and on. To care about something such as Hawkeye athletics as much as many do and not be willing to spend the less than $20 per month to make Iowa more competitive. I don't love NIL and the direction of college sports. But Iowa athletics and my love for all things Iowa greatly outnumbers any disdain I have for NIL. I have about 8-10 friends and family that have joined Swarm. All it takes is a few more people to buy in and continue to spread the word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT