ADVERTISEMENT

Swarm CEO article

Yeah, apathy probably isn't the correct phrase to use in describing Iowa FB ticket sales. People will always buy their tickets unless Iowa FB gets too early to mid 70's bad, which I don't believe will happen, at least not with this staff.

As to only 400 ticket holders donating, how much is required to support the team, monetarily speaking? Tix prices seems to keep rising, and for a while now you have to pay for your seat selection, and then add concession prices, parking, hotels, food outside of Kinnick, gas, etc, etc, etc. Now, SWARM Inc. is asking for support from FB fans and that's fine. But at what point are people saying "enough is enough, I am content with product on the field, SWARM be damned."? I believe that's the point SWARM Inc is at, or having trouble convincing people to give more.

Swarm is between a rock and a hard place, especially when you throw in MBB and WBB.
The university should consider letting season ticket buyers choose to give the seat premium to Swarm instead of to the University AD.

If you go to the article you can click on the conference and see each school.

https://nil-ncaa.com/

NIL Collective Average Funding by Power 5 Conference:​

Based on the projected 2023-24 NIL Market, the following is our estimate of NIL Collective funding by Power 5 Conference. NIL collectives are expected to generate on average almost $10 million annually per Power 5 school in compensation to student athletes. See our disclosure of Methodology as to how these estimates were arrived at:

Power 5 Conference
NIL Collectives

Collective
Funding
Average
Average
Total6970$ 677,250,000$ 9,815,217$ 9,731,184
ACC1518149,058,9179,937,2618,936,535
Big 121416114,805,5068,200,3937,231,404
Big Ten1418149,621,19910,687,2289,725,407
Pac-1212277,669,3706,472,4473,190,207
SEC1416186,095,08813,292,50113,949,067

Yes it was. Because the seating they created, while removing the additional seats, was in much higher demand.

North endzone seats used to be shit. Now they are the cream of the crop.
You literally said they reduced capacity to increase demand.

This a master class in goal post relocation.

Yes, the renovated endzone is nicer.

Reactions: Mister Plow
I think our offense is killing Swarm membership. If we had the 2002 offense on the field right now we would have a lot more small and mid size donors. There just isn’t any reason to donate for most folks because it feels like no matter if we get top recruits or not we will win 8-10 games with a stout defense.

Why donate when you know we won’t push to land a 5* QB and a few 4* and 5* receivers

Yep, those are two different things, but he said apathy.

When the stadium is sold out, you’re gonna have a real hard time convincing me there’s apathy.
I sat in that stadium in the 70’s when they were winning 1 game a year and it was full. Iowa football fans are like cub fans they will always show up. I guess the point I’m trying to make is that a lot of fans have invested a lot of money and time over the last 25 years with Kirk. There has been a lot of enjoyment and disappointment during that time. I think there is a lot of people feel opportunity has been lost over the last years due to the ineptitude of the offense. It’s hard to be satisfied and the end of the season when you have been out scored by good teams by 90 point no matter how many insignificant games you have one. .Terrible Hiring decisions, Brian , Barnett and Budimyr on offense . Terrible offensive line evaluation and play. Terrible QB evaluation and play. This all falls on Kirk and I don’t think all of this motivates fans to donate to NIL until he changes the narrative.

I won't attend another game in any other section. The difference is night and day. Better seating. Better facilities. Better concessions.
Just curious...what about the seating do you find better? Wider? Etc.

I can't say it is the only reason, but I rarely go to games in person because I hate being jammed in.

I sat in that stadium in the 70’s when they were winning 1 game a year and it was full. Iowa football fans are like cub fans they will always show up. I guess the point I’m trying to make is that a lot of fans have invested a lot of money and time over the last 25 years with Kirk. There has been a lot of enjoyment and disappointment during that time. I think there is a lot of people feel opportunity has been lost over the last years due to the ineptitude of the offense. It’s hard to be satisfied and the end of the season when you have been out scored by good teams by 90 point no matter how many insignificant games you have one. .Terrible Hiring decisions, Brian , Barnett and Budimyr on offense . Terrible offensive line evaluation and play. Terrible QB evaluation and play. This all falls on Kirk and I don’t think all of this motivates fans to donate to NIL until he changes the narrative.
Revisionist history.

In 71 when they won one game, they average 46k. 14k empty seats per game. The next year they averaged 44k, so 16k empty seats per game.

That’s pretty good considering how bad they were, but it was definitely not full.

Reactions: littlez
I agree with a lot of this. This conversation seems to related to football, but on the hoops side, nothing is happening with men's basketball to inspire much NIL support, either. Even before NIL, Fran's teams were continually falling flat in the postseason (Big 10 tournament and NCAA), lack of defense, etc. It's not all on Fran - there was Lickliter and Alford before him. No Sweet 16's since the 1900's. Not a single Big 10 title (regular season) since '79. There just isn't a lot of excitement around that program. Women's hoops, different story. But, it sounds like most NIL money is being funneled towards football, anyway.

I love Iowa football, yes, but I'm truly a hoops fan at heart. I grew up on it. I wouldn't say football was an afterthought, but football has historically always been #2 for me, behind basketball. It's tough to want to donate when it seems clear that my donation would not even go to the basketball program(s).

Not that donating money to college sports pay for play ranks very high on my list of priorities, anyway. I'm guessing that a lot of others feel the same, also.

Pull their scholarships. There are plenty of deserving kids who go to colleges and universities, to you know, ACTUALLY STUDY. Let these athletic jerkoffs NIL all day long and be bankrupt by 35.

Pull their scholarships. There are plenty of deserving kids who go to colleges and universities, to you know, ACTUALLY STUDY. Let these athletic jerkoffs NIL all day long and be bankrupt by 35.
While I would choose different language than the post above, I would actually support the idea of eliminating scholarships for college athletes. In addition to athletes paying for their own tuition and room & board, let them also cover the costs for their weight training, injury rehab, academic tutors, and trips to Europe. If you can't get enough NIL to pay for everything, you can take out a student loan, like every other person in the country attending college.

Athletes, sports pundits, and fans alike need to understand the tremendous value colleges have been providing to athletes for years.

I am surprised that there have not been more people contributing to the SWARM. I give, but I understand those that don't want to. I do think that if the offense shows some life that it will perk up interest in the program which will spill over to more people contributing to the SWARM. It's sort of like that marketing pitch that MLB had a few years ago - Chicks dig the long ball. The more casual fan loves offense. It has more instant appeal.

However, I also think that the long term viability of the NIL for most schools is tenuous. How many years are donors going to keep forking over money to an NIL program? I think people are just going to grow weary of having to write checks every year, just to pay guys to play football (or any sport) for their favorite team. And when we see how much revenue the program is getting every year (even though that revenue is not allowed to go to the players), it's hard to convince fans to give more and more every year. Something else will need to happen, or I think college football will more and more drift into the haves and have nots, with the haves being a smaller and smaller circle. And I don't see Iowa in that smaller circle.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I am surprised that there have not been more people contributing to the SWARM. I give, but I understand those that don't want to. I do think that if the offense shows some life that it will perk up interest in the program which will spill over to more people contributing to the SWARM. It's sort of like that marketing pitch that MLB had a few years ago - Chicks dig the long ball. The more casual fan loves offense. It has more instant appeal.

However, I also think that the long term viability of the NIL for most schools is tenuous. How many years are donors going to keep forking over money to an NIL program? I think people are just going to grow weary of having to write checks every year, just to pay guys to play football (or any sport) for their favorite team. And when we see how much revenue the program is getting every year (even though that revenue is not allowed to go to the players), it's hard to convince fans to give more and more every year. Something else will need to happen, or I think college football will more and more drift into the haves and have nots, with the haves being a smaller and smaller circle. And I don't see Iowa in that smaller circle.
I have come to believe that a donation-based collective model is not sustainable. I think fans (including me) are willing to part with their money in support of the team, but there needs to be something tangible in return. Some of the projects the Swarm has going, like Swarm Beer and Swarm Water, are the right idea. It's too bad the university couldn't just put a nickel surcharge on every concession stand item sold at the stadium, with those proceeds benefitting players' NIL. Or any university-licensed apparel could have a $1 surcharge, with proceeds going to players. Or they create a news/fan site similar to Rivals or on3, where all profits generated would go toward the Collective.

The idea of "donating" simply for the betterment of the team just isn't a sales pitch that resonates with enough people. If we are going to "donate," there are far better causes. As I said earlier, they should never have started using the word "donate" in regard to Swarm contributions. Everything should be an exchange of goods, services, or access.

It is a semi serious question. NIL started over a video game, that's not much different than tv revenue.
Video game revenue and tv revenue are very similar and they share the same ‘can’t go to NIL’ status.
Are you aware of that rule?

I think our offense is killing Swarm membership. If we had the 2002 offense on the field right now we would have a lot more small and mid size donors. There just isn’t any reason to donate for most folks because it feels like no matter if we get top recruits or not we will win 8-10 games with a stout defense.

Why donate when you know we won’t push to land a 5* QB and a few 4* and 5* receivers
Chicken or the egg.

Video game revenue and tv revenue are very similar and they share the same ‘can’t go to NIL’ status.
Are you aware of that rule?
I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain the new ncaa football game coming out this summer (allegedly) is strictly happening because players are getting NIL kickbacks. It's not much, $600 and a copy of the game, but it's a start. I know that's not tied to revenue generated but I'm guessing the negotiations going forward will be.

Reactions: ichawk24
This is probably the way. If you want to be grown ups and get paid well then no more opting out and you must fulfill that contract. No transferring out because the freshman RB is beating you out. Think you are going Pro and don't want to risk anything in the bowl game? Too bad, you agreed to a deal.
So, with this plan do scholarships go away or cost deducted from the negotiated amount the union gets for players at a college? Do the head/leaders of the union get paid?

New territory for Iowa fans to have a philosophy to “buy” players - unlike some blue bloods who’ve been buying players for years.

I joined the Swarm - simply because Iowa athletics have been a huge part of my life and my family’s life.

However, now the arms race is simply out of control. Rosters are being destroyed with departures while schools with deep-pocketed donors can now “buy” their way to the top.

For schools like Iowa - who pride themselves for doing things the right way - it’s a hard sell to fans - especially older generations - to “buy” players to compete.

I appreciate the work Brad H does with the Swarm. I think Iowa needs to develop a deeper supporting cast for the Swarm … It has to.

In two years college athletics have turned into a shit show. 100 percent shit show.

I have come to believe that a donation-based collective model is not sustainable. I think fans (including me) are willing to part with their money in support of the team, but there needs to be something tangible in return. Some of the projects the Swarm has going, like Swarm Beer and Swarm Water, are the right idea. It's too bad the university couldn't just put a nickel surcharge on every concession stand item sold at the stadium, with those proceeds benefitting players' NIL. Or any university-licensed apparel could have a $1 surcharge, with proceeds going to players. Or they create a news/fan site similar to Rivals or on3, where all profits generated would go toward the Collective.

The idea of "donating" simply for the betterment of the team just isn't a sales pitch that resonates with enough people. If we are going to "donate," there are far better causes. As I said earlier, they should never have started using the word "donate" in regard to Swarm contributions. Everything should be an exchange of goods, services, or access.
I guess at this point, I don't understand the rationale why the schools cannot be directly involved (refer to the argument that they've been "paying" players for years by giving them scholarships so they're already doing it). If athletes become employees, which some are pushing or saying is inevitable, the schools will be paying the athletes then. (Which I am against as it creates a whole new tier of problems).

Why not just let them do it now, and leave it up to each school how they decide to allocate their resources - paying players, building new infrastructure, paying salaries, expanding the number of sports. Let them figure it out. The ones that do it better will be better. That's where the competition should be, not asking fans to give even more (in addition to buying tickets and merchandise or whatever else).

Reactions: Max_Rebo
NiL has destroyed the scholarship offer as athletes are just going to play for pay "semi Pro" not to get an education. If an athlete wants and education they either need to have to pay for it themselves or deducted from NIL payments.

Reactions: GOHOX69
While I would choose different language than the post above, I would actually support the idea of eliminating scholarships for college athletes. In addition to athletes paying for their own tuition and room & board, let them also cover the costs for their weight training, injury rehab, academic tutors, and trips to Europe. If you can't get enough NIL to pay for everything, you can take out a student loan, like every other person in the country attending college.

Athletes, sports pundits, and fans alike need to understand the tremendous value colleges have been providing to athletes for years.
What I was alluding to in my post. I agree with you.

Just curious...what about the seating do you find better? Wider? Etc.

I can't say it is the only reason, but I rarely go to games in person because I hate being jammed in.
So it depends. If you want to pay a higher price you can grab an actual seat with a back and cup holders. The bleachers also seem to have more legroom as well and I'm 6'2" so that matters to me.

So it depends. If you want to pay a higher price you can grab an actual seat with a back and cup holders. The bleachers also seem to have more legroom as well and I'm 6'2" so that matters to me.
They definitely have more legroom. The tickets that I share with my parents have been in the north endzone for the past 15(?) years and the new version of it is how the south should be as well. Right now the south endzone feels so disjointed and sprawling. Copy the north and kinnick will be an even more imposing beast than it already is.

Well obviously with only 2900 members most agree with you. However, with the landscape changing and we see what just decent bball players are getting let alone star football players were dead in the water with those crazy low numbers of members.
I'm of the impression that these college athletes don't deserve our money (directly, anyway, since I'm sure someone will try to spin it so that "any" revenue can potentially somehow end up in their pocket in some form or fashion..............)

Hope that helps! :D

Understood. My point was more that at some point, you'll have the same very small handful of teams who win every year. Does Richey Rich become tired of no competition and winning? Maybe, maybe not. At some point, does the symbol lose most of it's status?
Yup, 👍

Funny the stadium has been full though. And loud.
I hypothesize that most people including season ticket holders don't really care who is playing but more about the team's connection to the university. ( in short they care more about the name on the front and less of the one on the back) And don't feel compelled to pay for a player but would rather give to the school/athletic department that can't give players money.

The major networks really push the individual like they do with the pros. In the pros people switch teams because of a player (especially basketball). College you don't because of the connection you have to the school (local team, parents went there, self went there)

Go look at how many season tickets are available.

You can go to hawkeyesports.com, and figure out how to pick your seats for season tickets. If you’re correct, there should be plenty of options for you to select your seats in practically every section and row.

You can report back on the rampant apathy.
How many of those seats are scalpers? How many students?

I hypothesize that most people including season ticket holders don't really care who is playing but more about the team's connection to the university. ( in short they care more about the name on the front and less of the one on the back) And don't feel compelled to pay for a player but would rather give to the school/athletic department that can't give players money.

The major networks really push the individual like they do with the pros. In the pros people switch teams because of a player (especially basketball). College you don't because of the connection you have to the school (local team, parents went there, self went there)
A plausible hypothesis.

Reactions: kkhawk
Is their no way that the university can give "perks" to season ticket holders that are active Swarm members?

"If you donate to swarm, you have the season ticket donation requirement waved"

Reactions: DavidHawk324
Is their no way that the university can give "perks" to season ticket holders that are active Swarm members?

This has been the answer since day 1. As others have said, just asking for a donation in exchange for nothing is a hard ask to pay a college football player. Having Swarm donations go toward priority seating doesn’t cost the fan more and just moves the money from the athletic department to the players.

The only reason it isn’t happening is that athletic departments are greedy and just want fans to cover more and more and want to make no sacrifices themselves. The money should be this way and then the ADs can decide if money is better spent on players to have a successful team or if they’d rather stay in nice hotels or fund sports no one cares about.

Like app service where someone will bring you a beer! Or food to your seat.

You can join Swarm for $19.58/mo. It gets you a t-shirt, decal, and membership card. The card does have some discounts to places like 30hop, Iowa Athletic Club, Tin Roost, and Donnelly's last I knew. I know it's not a ton, but I don't think $19.58/mo is a lot either to give. I waste far more than that a month on other things.

Reactions: Jedhawk77 and Birky
As for only having 400 football season ticket holders in the Swarm Collective, Heinrich said: “That’s embarrassingly low….“

I agree.
HOw about the school stop bleeding fans dry to attend games. They get all that frickin TV money. Buy the season tickets with out all the other BS to free up that $$ to go to NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT