ADVERTISEMENT

Talking heads love them some Davidson

Originally posted by wyohawk:
Even if Iowa gets past Davidson (big if), Zaga will be a strong order. It's not just luck that has them at a #2 after all.

And THEN, they'd face a Larry Brown-coached SMU squad with talent to spare and who wasn't really tested in round 2 vs. UAB.

Just not many easy roads in the bracket this year.
Certainly because the alternative is a nightmare for hok nation!!

onlyonenow posted on 3/16/2015...

4th & 9 is a clone fan so ignore his drivel.

*Was sitting in the lower level for both Orange Bowls and 2 Outback Bowls-where were you?

Funny how some people say Davidson will win because they have better guard play but on the flip side when talking about Gonzaga being a potential final 4 they talk about their front line. It's just a matter of opinion. Key will be which team can dictate their style and pace of play for the game.

As for Dakich and Fran T comment if anyone watched the Big 10 title game you could have give Izzo or Ryan a T about 5 different times for their behavior.

Originally posted by DodgerHawki:
Agreed. The majority of the pundits picking Davidson is not surprising, nor is it a huge slight toward Iowa. Vegas has this as a very close game, and people tend to remember what a team just did. Iowa was losing to a mediocre PSU team and Davidson was playing in the semifinals of the A-10 against another NCAA team.

The big questions is whether Iowa can step up and handle the moment against a quality opponent on a neutral floor. 4 times this year, Iowa hasn't been able to do that (Texas, Syracuse, UNI, Penn State). If Iowa can just not turn the ball over and make a few shots, Iowa could live at the FT line and dominate inside against Davidson. Will be fun to see what happens.
You can spin things to sound how ever you want. Davidson was playing in the semi-finals of the A-10 against another NCAA team? How about this: Davidson was getting jack-stomped by 20 points in the Semi-finals in a conference who's best teams are Dayton, Rhode Island and VCU.

media types are just like us when making picks, they are looking to make a statement and be bold when they can justify it. Davidson shoots the $hit out of the 3 ball, IMO that is why they are a popular pick. I think it is very telling that they shoot 10 % lower on the road however.

You can pick your cliche' as well........strong guard play carries you in the tournament? How about defense wins championships.....or defense travels? Davidson plays no D.

Go Hawks Baby!!!

Just heard Lunardi's pick......Davidson by double digits. Said they are a bad match-up for us with motion offense and Davidson always getting a good look.

Love it. Iowa seems to excel against low expectations. Hope the guys enter Friday night with a chip on their shoulder and ready to introduce Davidson to some good, old-fashioned Big Ten toughness.

Every time I see Bilas, which is a lot these past two days, he crawls further and further onto the Davidson bandwagon. Guards are both great and they have a high scoring offense which is difficult to guard. I guess frontcourt play and defense aren't issues.

Originally posted by Packer54:
Just heard Lunardi's pick......Davidson by double digits. Said they are a bad match-up for us with motion offense and Davidson always getting a good look.
Iowa needs to extend out and defend the three point line. White and Uthoff should have 5 blocks a piece. Let them try to drive into our big men underneath. I like our matchup better than theirs. They have seen no size like Iowa's all year, especially someone like Uthoff than can block 3's left and rigth. Make them shoot 30 foot 3 pointers.

Originally posted by jhawkinaz:

Agreed. The majority of the pundits picking Davidson is not surprising, nor is it a huge slight toward Iowa. Vegas has this as a very close game, and people tend to remember what a team just did. Iowa was losing to a mediocre PSU team and Davidson was playing in the semifinals of the A-10 against another NCAA team.

The big questions is whether Iowa can step up and handle the moment against a quality opponent on a neutral floor. 4 times this year, Iowa hasn't been able to do that (Texas, Syracuse, UNI, Penn State). If Iowa can just not turn the ball over and make a few shots, Iowa could live at the FT line and dominate inside against Davidson. Will be fun to see what happens.
You can spin things to sound how ever you want. Davidson was playing in the semi-finals of the A-10 against another NCAA team? How about this: Davidson was getting jack-stomped by 20 points in the Semi-finals in a conference who's best teams are Dayton, Rhode Island and VCU.

media types are just like us when making picks, they are looking to make a statement and be bold when they can justify it. Davidson shoots the $hit out of the 3 ball, IMO that is why they are a popular pick. I think it is very telling that they shoot 10 % lower on the road however.

You can pick your cliche' as well........strong guard play carries you in the tournament? How about defense wins championships.....or defense travels? Davidson plays no D.

Go Hawks Baby!!!
Shooting does not always travel, but neither does our defense, particularly from the first half to the second. Bottom line, when you throw in our inconsistently, and mix it with the unpredictible nature of a mid-major team's ability to shoot at a neutral, cavernous venue, you simply have the recipe for a game where no one can possibly predict what we're going to get. Iowa could win by 20 or lose by 20 and I really don't think either is more likely than the other

If this board were a prison it is so easy to tell who the B*&$^ES would be.

That's the thing about internet message boards. Other than moderation and getting kicked out, there is no threat to any specie.

Not one.

So the weakest, most annoying drivel that would find itself crushed into extinction in the real world is allowed to flourish in this community.

That said and in the same spirit......to the Angst Filled Amoebas:

Amazingly, the very nature of the NCAA Tournament should be obvious, understood, accepted, AWAITED with delight, by all on this board. We wanted it, we got it. We're IN THE Tournament where the best teams in the country are gathered to play each other until only one remains the winner.

The very dimmest of light bulbs on this board understand how this works.

Only the worst doom and gloomer could possibly feel the need to repeatedly express THAT Iowa might lose. (Important distinction...talking the sport, or cowardly whining, easy to tell the difference and I'm talking cowardly whining.) You dolt. We know that. If it causes you so much pain you should find another interest, because the whole POINT to having an Iowa basketball program that wins games is to reach this SCARY, LOSABLE, DAUNTING TASK of a tournament every year.

That's right, every year. And if you can't shut up and enjoy the challenge without pooping your diapers? You shouldn't be following sports.
This post was edited on 3/16 10:58 AM by DanL53

I'm sick of the Davidson talk already, and I hope our players are too.

Iowa is a Power 5 conference team....they finished tied for third, and beat some good teams. They need to swat this fly (Davidson) and put them in their place. The Hawks better not play "scared"....they need to play with attitude and swagger.

Davidson has little chance of winning this game. Iowa is in a premier league, is a nationally known product that does well every year. Sweet 16 battle with SMU looms.

Originally posted by soybean:
Originally posted by Scott559:
I think Iowa as a program is in need of a prove it run. Bilas on Espn said he thinks Iowa is the better team, But he picked Davidson. I think as far as the national media goes, Just when perhaps they are ready to actually buy into Iowa, Something like the Penn State game happens. While each year is a new year, The general media remembers Davidson going on a run fairly recently in the NCAA's, What do they remember about Iowa?
Northwestern St.
fify

I'm certainly not "overconfident".. This is the 7/10 game, and a 10 beating a 7 is not a major upset by any stretch.. In fact, I'd say there are no easy games in the NCAA Tournament. Period.

Now - Yeah, Davidson has good guards and can shoot the 3, but they have no size, so Iowa should be able to dominate on the glass and in the paint. Each team's strength is a weakness in other areas.. It's a total contrast and should be an interesting match up.

If they're picking Davidson because of what they did several years ago.. Meh, whatever. I don't care much about history. I'd prefer to compare the two teams THIS YEAR.

Odds makers have this as pretty much a 50/50 game. I hope the odds are in our favor.

The tourney is full of good basketball teams. That's why it's fun.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

to say guard play rules the tournament is to be polite a great exageration. It is more important during the tournament but if your front line dominates and gets the best of the other team then all your guards have to be is semi competent to win. That is what should happen vs Davidson.

Originally posted by chicago73:
Davidson has little chance of winning this game. Iowa is in a premier league, is a nationally known product that does well every year. Sweet 16 battle with SMU looms.
I am certainly willing to wager your net worth that match up never materializes.

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:

Go Hawks Baby!!!
Shooting does not always travel, but neither does our defense, particularly from the first half to the second. Bottom line, when you throw in our inconsistently, and mix it with the unpredictible nature of a mid-major team's ability to shoot at a neutral, cavernous venue, you simply have the recipe for a game where no one can possibly predict what we're going to get. Iowa could win by 20 or lose by 20 and I really don't think either is more likely than the other
I won't say that our defense doesn't frustrate me at times.......but we were 7-3 on the road, and in those games gave up an average of 62 ppg. (using regulation totals from NW and PSU).

What would qualify as "defense travels" to you, if that does not?

Your point that I bolded intrigues me quite a bit. Anyone know what Davidson's gym looks like?

45% at home in a cozy environment.....could be a big issue in a big arena. Especially since they are already at 35% in road games in general.

Iowa has no shot at this game. Every team drains 3s on us and not sure if you haven't noticed, but we are one of the lousiest teams in America and posting up and holding our position. Size mean nothing when it comes to this team. Its Aaron White and Jarod Uthoff and occasionally Peter Jok. The rest our mediocre MVC athletes if that.

Originally posted by iahawkfan22:
Iowa has no shot at this game. Every team drains 3s on us and not sure if you haven't noticed, but we are one of the lousiest teams in America and posting up and holding our position. Size mean nothing when it comes to this team. Its Aaron White and Jarod Uthoff and occasionally Peter Jok. The rest our mediocre MVC athletes if that.
Solid 19th post.

Originally posted by iahawkfan22:
Tell us what you really think.

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:

Go Hawks Baby!!!
I won't say that our defense doesn't frustrate me at times.......but we were 7-3 on the road, and in those games gave up an average of 62 ppg. (using regulation totals from NW and PSU).

What would qualify as "defense travels" to you, if that does not?

Your point that I bolded intrigues me quite a bit. Anyone know what Davidson's gym looks like?

45% at home in a cozy environment.....could be a big issue in a big arena. Especially since they are already at 35% in road games in general.
That's just it. We certainly have a very solid defense but it's not one like UNI, Wisconsin or MSU where they damn near just about bring it every game. We've had numerous games this season where the defense plays great in the first half and then disappears for long stretches or the entire second half. A couple of games we even managed to escape late and were fortunate to do so (@PSU, Nebraska, @Minn) If everyone has a guy that goes nuts in the second half, it's not just them, it's us. In the games where we have seen a complete 40 minute defensive effort, the results have been very convincing (@Michigan, Maryland, @Indiana, @UNC)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT