ADVERTISEMENT

Tavian Banks footage

Sep 3, 2009
I'm revamping the Iowa Power Hour for 2015, and I'm trying to add in some Tavian Banks footage from 1997. Does anyone know of any good videos (game highlights with game audio) on the internet? So far on Youtube I can't really find any good game highlights from the TV broadcast of any games that season.

Could you imagine what Kirk would have done if Danan Hughes' "snow angel" happened under his watch? Danan would not be in good standing and unlikely to see the field again.

I'm revamping the Iowa Power Hour for 2015, and I'm trying to add in some Tavian Banks footage from 1997. Does anyone know of any good videos (game highlights with game audio) on the internet? So far on Youtube I can't really find any good game highlights from the TV broadcast of any games that season.

I think it was because he wasn't big and strong enough. Man the guy had wheels didn't he. He might of played sparingly under kurt, if he was a good practice player. But true, the hair probably would have kept him off the field all together.

Lol at those stats at the beginning of the video claiming some of his record were 2nd or 1st all time in NCAA football.

But man he would've dominated in a Ferentz zone blocking scheme. He was a slightly bigger version of Freddie Russell and a bit faster too. With that '02 line just imagine what he could've done. Those lines he ran behind in the mid 90s had some NFL guys but as units they were only slightly above average, at least compared with some of the other great ones over the past 35 years.

Kirk would sit him. Too flashy with that hair (doesn't represent Iowa well)

Where do people come up with this?

Dreadlocks, mohawks, cornrows, 70's style afros, Jesus beards..... players with just about every kind of hairstyle have played for Ferentz. Beathard went full hippie just last year. Kevin Kasper dyed his hair, etc. etc.

That's why cj took over #1, he finally got a buzz job.

I know you're probably joking but your contention is factualy incorrect. Beathard was named the starter in early January - well before he decided to cut his hair.

Besides, no one would credibly believe that hair style would be a deciding factor in which player has earned the starting QB spot. That would be ridiculous ....but I get it, your post was all in good fun,

It's awesome how every thread turns into a "bash KF" thread. I just never get tired of them!:rolleyes:

Banks was incredible. I'd love to have a receiver with that kind of speed, let alone an RB.

It's awesome how every thread turns into a "bash KF" thread. I just never get tired of them!:rolleyes:

Banks was incredible. I'd love to have a receiver with that kind of speed, let alone an RB.

It's so much fun though, agree banks was incredible, too bad he had sedric shaw in front of him all that time.

Last edited:
Tavian was incredible. I would say he may have had the best speed I've ever seen at Iowa. Surely, in the 40. It wasn't just that he was fast, but he got to his top speed so fast. His acceleration was incredible. Dwight and others may have been faster if you were talking longer distance.

I saw him play in HS against Clinton. Wasn't even fair. They had a hard time touching him. I remember in the newspaper that the Miami coach(Ericksen?) said "we're recruiting who we think is the best back in the country", referring to Banks.

The other poster was right. Sedrick Shaw was a great back, but Tavian sat, too much. On any given play, he could take it to the house. He could cut on a dime, and could make people look foolish. Shaw was the tougher back, and deserved to play, too. I would have played them together, and used Shaw as the fullback when needed. Too many times I saw Banks and Dwight standing next to Fry on the sidelines.

He may not have been the most complete back, but he was sure fun to watch.

Tavian was incredible. I would say he may have had the best speed I've ever seen at Iowa. Surely, in the 40. It wasn't just that he was fast, but he got to his top speed so fast. His acceleration was incredible. Dwight and others may have been faster if you were talking longer distance.

I saw him play in HS against Clinton. Wasn't even fair. They had a hard time touching him. I remember in the newspaper that the Miami coach(Ericksen?) said "we're recruiting who we think is the best back in the country", referring to Banks.

The other poster was right. Sedrick Shaw was a great back, but Tavian sat, too much. On any given play, he could take it to the house. He could cut on a dime, and could make people look foolish. Shaw was the tougher back, and deserved to play, too. I would have played them together, and used Shaw as the fullback when needed. Too many times I saw Banks and Dwight standing next to Fry on the sidelines.

He may not have been the most complete back, but he was sure fun to watch.
I tried to tackle Tavian a couple times. Sadly, the only time I've touched him was when I shook his hand afterward:(

There's a solid 2 minutes of Tavian clips right here:

Yes, I've seen this one, it's not a bad option, but I wish Phil Collins wasn't playing in the background and the game commentary was consistent and the TV booth camera angle was used for every shot. What I would love is to have a recorded version of an entire game during the 1997 season, preferably Tulsa or Iowa St, when tavian went off. Hopefully HawkeyeHistorian will take care of that someday

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT