ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible Big Ten has two teams in the Elite 8

RagnarLothbrok

HR All-American
Apr 4, 2023
Overall, the Big Ten was bad this year. So, pretty impressive to have two teams one game away from the FF.

Btw, how many teams did the “best” conference in basketball get to the Elite 8? I’m sure all our Cyclone friends who were here in droves after the Big 12 tournament will be by all weekend to answer. 🙄

Overall, the Big Ten was bad this year. So, pretty impressive to have two teams one game away from the FF.

Btw, how many teams did the “best” conference in basketball get to the Elite 8? I’m sure all our Cyclone friends who were here in droves after the Big 12 tournament will be by all weekend to answer. 🙄
Seemingly all any younger fans care about is tourney performance these days so based on that the best conferences are:
1 ACC
2. BIG
3.Sec
4. Big East
5.mountain West
6.pac 12
7. Big 12

So as a league the BIG was the strongest it has been in a few years.
Nothing that happens before mid-march matters in college BB anymore, at least for some fans.

Now I do not subscribe to that mentality.
I am more of a Phil Jackson " enjoy the journey" type of guy who truly does enjoy a mid- January win over a Wis or MSU and put high value on that in the moment experience.

Now, go out and win Illini and PU!!

Seemingly all any younger fans care about is tourney performance these days so based on that the best conferences are:
1 ACC
2. BIG
3.Sec
4. Big East
5.mountain West
6.pac 12
7. Big 12

Nothing that happens before mid-march matters in college BB anymore, at least for some fans.

I am more of a Phil Jackson " enjoy the journey" type of guy who truly does enjoy a mid- January win over a Wis or MSU and put high value on that in the moment experience.

The tourney just shows what many suspected all along……the Little12 was WAY over rated/seeded.

Iowa State fans:

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

That was the only two teams worth a crap all season. The rest are pretty much vomit on hardwood.

Purdue was top 5 all season. They’re a 1 seed so they honestly should make the Final 4. They’ve got a game changing big man and their guard play is much improved. Can definitely beat UConn. Illinois has the most dynamic player left in the tournament and along with UConn the most efficient offense left in the tournament. Neither of these teams are plucky little underdogs.

That was the only two teams worth a crap all season. The rest are pretty much vomit on hardwood.
See my other thread about comparing Iowa’s rotation to Illinois and Purdue.

I know the Big Ten was shit from top to bottom and stated as much.

We all know the purpose of my thread. Just having a little fun with our ISU friends. 😆

Purdue is a much different, and better, team than they were last year. Their 3 point shooting went from 290th (if I recall) to 1st this year. Their two starting guards have experience now, and they just appear stronger and more explosive and deeper. Have a chance to win it all.

Yep, Big 12 always seems like that conference everyone is always saying is the best from top to bottom, but are normally pretty much out of the dance by the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. A lot of good teams but no great ones, except sometimes maybe for KU, and Baylor the year they won it all.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
All powerful Big 12 maybe wasn't so great after all. ACC has been the biggest surprise in the tourney, after being dissed a little by the committee. In the past, I think the ACC and Big East were over seated. This year seemed different.

Can Illannoy take down UConn, which has looked a little too good? If they play smart, I think they can make it a very competitive game.

1 ACC
2. BIG
3.Sec
4. Big East
5.mountain West
6.pac 12
7. Big 12

I can sort of get behind Purdue......................but f*** Illinois.

• Haha
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
No, it's because we generally loathe them.
I get “loathing” another program (Nebraska for me), but, trashing a team b/c they only got [farther than we have in a REALLY long time] is pretty funny.

And having this much success is now seemingly a trend for them.

Long story short - We suck at basketball. Iowa State is very good at basketball. Don’t know why we can’t shut our mouths until football rolls around.

There is an argument that the big 12 was overrated. They had the most teams in the tournament and the more favorable seeds and have no one in the elite 8. That is not a coincidence.

Reactions: Willin
Iowa State 90
Iowa 65

IIRC
Let’s play that same game on a neutral court later in season. ISU prolly wins by 10 to 15, but not a blowout. I’m looking forward to going to the Iowa vs iswho game in Carver next year. The clowns lose their low post depth next season, it should be a competitive game. Regardless of the outcome, isu is still second fiddle in the Hawkeye State. 😜

No, we are making fun of them for once again inflating every tiny bit of success they experience in sports.
Take it on that you're on the we should fire Fran wagon? Because if the Sweet 16 is such an accomplishment then why hasn't Iowa been there in a long time?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Parity in men's college basketball is great and fun to watch. The big conferences are what generate the money and why they always need to have the most representation. Small conferences always need to be in the underdog role. None of the big conferences were over represented but there were a few that should have had a couple more teams. The Big Ten should have more teams than they did even if that team loses in the first or second round.

That is reality.

Outside of UConn there has been quite a bit of parity this season. It’s not a typical year in a lot of ways. So could be prime for big ten to win it all but UConn has been clobbering folks so doubt it. That’s why it’s kind of sad to see the hawks not make it this season despite having a roster that wasn’t ready to do much.

NIL seems to have created an environment where some booster groups know they can’t compete with big programs in football.

Basketball rosters are so much smaller the NIL can go a lot farther.

Let’s play that same game on a neutral court later in season. ISU prolly wins by 10 to 15, but not a blowout. I’m looking forward to going to the Iowa vs iswho game in Carver next year. The clowns lose their low post depth next season, it should be a competitive game. Regardless of the outcome, isu is still second fiddle in the Hawkeye State. 😜
Parity in men's college basketball is great and fun to watch. The big conferences are what generate the money and why they always need to have the most representation. Small conferences always need to be in the underdog role. None of the big conferences were over represented but there were a few that should have had a couple more teams. The Big Ten should have more teams than they did even if that team loses in the first or second round.

That is reality.
Give me an example of a Big Ten team that should have been in?

Against UConn I will root for Illinois and then Purdue tomorrow. Hurley is obviously a very good coach, but I cannot stand him.
Nah. We don't see UConn enough for me to care about Hurley being a legitimate a**hole.

Illinois winning only helps their cause long term.

F*** Underwood and Illinois.

Reactions: hawkguy77
UConn looks like the clear fave. Still, would love to see 2 B1G schools in the Final Four

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT