ADVERTISEMENT

The Forgers: The Forgotten Story Of The Holocaust's Most Audacious Rescue Operation

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Solid book by Roger Moorhouse that I just finished. After Poland fell there were diplomats in exile in Switzerland who decided to do what they could to aide Jewish citizens out of Nazi occupied Europe. Always operating under nebulous circumstances they created identity papers and passports to nations mostly in Central and South America. From 1940-43 they were able to get thousands of Jews out of Europe, and thousands more preferential treatment in holding camps on the promise that they would be freed eventually. The Nazis were not fooled by the documents, but at the highest levels a blind eye was turned because an exchange program was set up. The Nazis in their quest for purity wanted Aryans around the world to be returned to Germany, and allowing some Jews to go out was the price they would pay. Originally set up by the Poles in exile to help Eastern European Jews, it expanded and in the end helped Jews from the Western nations like the Netherlands to escape. The Nazis did not want Eastern Jews who had seen the full effects of the death camps to survive and testify.
Eventually the program fell apart due to pressure from Swiss diplomats, and from indignant Western diplomats who chaffed at the forged documents. Anti-semitism clearly fueled some of the indignation. At the end of the book there is a telling passage that helps explain the antipathy modern day Poles feel against Russia. As Germany collapsed and was defeated, and as the Iron Curtain was raised Poles felt betrayed many times as treaties and boundaries were ignored, and Poles disappeared into Soviet camps. Some of those who disappeared were the engineers of the exchange program who thought they would return to a free Poland and rebuild after the war.

Love WWII history. We need the greatest generation to invade the RNC and destroy it. They battled and destroyed fascism in Europe in the 1940s and in 2024 it's the Republican cult.

This sounds like an interesting book and I may give it a read this summer.

But I have to wonder - was it really an ‘audacious’ operation if the Nazis were well aware of it, weren’t fooled by the documents, and decided to allow it to happen in a quid pro quo arrangement? Based on your synopsis of the book, it sounds like most of the resistance they encountered came from the countries tasked with taking in Jewish immigrants.

This sounds like an interesting book and I may give it a read this summer.

But I have to wonder - was it really an ‘audacious’ operation if the Nazis were well aware of it, weren’t fooled by the documents, and decided to allow it to happen in a quid pro quo arrangement? Based on your synopsis of the book, it sounds like most of the resistance they encountered came from the countries tasked with taking in Jewish immigrants.
Well, I guess sometimes they generate a little buzz with the title? It was a little audacious, and let's leave it at that.
It gets banal, like any book covering the Holocaust. The degradation of life and the mechanization of death weighs on you, but occasionally you are heartened by individual acts of defiance and bravery, and the human spirit.

Reactions: TJ8869
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT