ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa women’s bball team is better than the Fever

IowaMuse

Team MVP
Sep 3, 2022
I think this past seasons Iowa team might have been more competitive tonight. Bluder always had 3 shooters on the floor with Clark allowing her to score or create for others. Kinda painful watching this brand of bball. Hoping they play more aggressively going forward. And I’m being over the top. Not suggesting the Fever would lose to Iowa. Just frustrated over the style of lay

I think this past seasons Iowa team might have been more competitive tonight. Bluder always had 3 shooters on the floor with Clark allowing her to score or create for others. Kinda painful watching this brand of bball. Hoping they play more aggressively going forward. And I’m being over the top. Not suggesting the Fever would lose to Iowa. Just frustrated over the style of lay
You greatly underestimate the quality of play in the WNBA. Iowa would have gotten blitzed by Suns or the Fever.

When Iowa played Colorado in the tourney, it was a struggle and the Sun are just like that but taller everywhere and better shooters. They were able to double team Clark off screen action and force her to make tough passes over long arms. Led to a lot of turnovers. Most of Clark's points were negated by turnovers. Her coach will have to work on that with her and come up with a strategy. Someone should be wide open the moment that double comes. We very often see that type of D against Luka in the NBA, and he'll immediately make a nifty pass out of it, usually behind the back.

Last edited:
I underestimated the bogged down style of play that’s for sure.
I would say you underestimated the defensive intensity and overall athletic speed, quickness, strength and skills of these professional athletes. That's why it is so difficult for college players to even make rosters in the WNBA (only 13 of the 36 players drafted made opening night rosters)

Style of lay huh? What is in your dirty mind?

I would say you underestimated the defensive intensity and overall athletic speed, quickness, strength and skills of these professional athletes. That's why it is so difficult for college players to even make rosters in the WNBA (only 13 of the 36 players drafted made opening night rosters)

Well that's just awesome. With so much talent and athleticism, why was it so boring to watch? I'd rather watch Hawkeye WBB × 100. Maybe x 1000

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Boston has shown me nothing. She's tall and wide, and that's her game, yet she was WNBA Rookie of the Year last season. What?!

She can't run. She's not quick. She has bad hands. She can't jump even a little bit. And her footwork is horrible. Other than that, she's damn good. Stuelke's game is FAR beyond Boston's right now. The only advantage Boston has is size.

And now you see why nobody has watched the WNBA. That game last night was the most boring basketball game I've seen in decades. Men's and women's college basketball . . . especially Iowa's women . . . is highly entertaining almost all the time. I was prepared for a letdown last night, but wow . . . that was just ugly. And the Fever were in the game most of the way until it finally got out of hand at the end.

You keep telling me these are elite female athletes. OK. But I don't think either team showed me much in the way of quality basketball last night. It was just one game, but even with CC playing, I'm not going to keep wasting a couple of hours a night to watch whatever that was. The WNBA may soon find out that not even CC can save it long term. It's just not an entertaining product, if last night was any indication.

Indiana appeared poorly coached, even with its lack of talent. And CC needs to have the ball in her hands most of the time, and she needs to shoot and shoot often. If Indiana expects to be successful, they have to do what Lisa did and let her play her way. Trying to make her conform to the boring style of play we saw last night is a formula for disaster, for CC and her team. Shoot the logo threes. Run the floor. Get into transition. Setting up a halfcourt offense so CC can be mauled all over the floor and denied the ball seems pretty stupid. And having CC pass the ball to players who can't score, including Boston, doesn't seem like a great concept. Damn, CC is doubled and tripled, and her teammates just stand there. No wonder CC had so many TOs. She got almost no help whatsoever. I've seen hundreds of pickup games at the rec center where teams of strangers know how to cut, set screens, and move without the ball better than I saw last night.

Iowa's team last two years would get eaten alive by either of those teams last night. Its like saying any college men's team is better then a pro team. Zero chance, Iowa women would lose by the 100 point rule if there was one.
Somebody on X said Clark was bothered by the speed of play in the W. Yeah it was slow compared to what she was use to at Iowa.

Boston would have been done in about 3-4 minutes and need a break. I watched her especially and she was one of the last ones down the court.

Clark and Boston are exact opposites on how they need to play.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Boston has shown me nothing. She's tall and wide, and that's her game, yet she was WNBA Rookie of the Year last season. What?!

She can't run. She's not quick. She has bad hands. She can't jump even a little bit. And her footwork is horrible. Other than that, she's damn good. Stuelke's game is FAR beyond Boston's right now. The only advantage Boston has is size.
Truer words have never been spoken than this. She's 40 lbs bigger than the other bigs that played last night. She will never be a recipient of a Clark pass on a break. Clark did hit a couple for layups. Boston would be trade bait for me.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
You greatly underestimate the quality of play in the WNBA. Iowa would have gotten blitzed by Suns or the Fever.
Perhaps what the OP was alluding to was the Iowa WBB team played better as a team than the Fever did last night. I'd agree. The Fever look like a team that doesn't know who they are yet, which isn't surprising considering they've only been together for about three weeks.

Indiana appeared poorly coached, even with its lack of talent. And CC needs to have the ball in her hands most of the time, and she needs to shoot and shoot often. If Indiana expects to be successful, they have to do what Lisa did and let her play her way. Trying to make her conform to the boring style of play we saw last night is a formula for disaster, for CC and her team. Shoot the logo threes. Run the floor. Get into transition. Setting up a halfcourt offense so CC can be mauled all over the floor and denied the ball seems pretty stupid. And having CC pass the ball to players who can't score, including Boston, doesn't seem like a great concept. Damn, CC is doubled and tripled, and her teammates just stand there. No wonder CC had so many TOs. She got almost no help whatsoever. I've seen hundreds of pickup games at the rec center where teams of strangers know how to cut, set screens, and move without the ball better than I saw last night.
She needs to do some off season training with Jan Jensen.

Reactions: amahawk and Im4Iowa
Truer words have never been spoken than this. She's 40 lbs bigger than the other bigs that played last night. She will never be a recipient of a Clark pass on a break. Clark did hit a couple for layups. Boston would be trade bait for me.
Boston=Angel Reese

Some success because they are big but really plodding.

The talent level in W is way better than NCAA WBB. Iowa's team would get drilled and run off the court playing any of the pro teams.
Caitlin will handle the pressure and speed of the game with more time. But some of the passes she made in college will not go thru in the pro game. WNBA players are too smart and way faster. Most of them have played for years and all over the world. CC will always be able to score from 3 point line and getting open on her own. So averaging 20 points likely not a problem. It will be the turnovers, assists and driving to rim that will need work. Going into the paint, she is going to get blocked and pounded on. Her whining for fouls just not going to work in this league.
10 TOs in first game in WNBA is record (previous most was 8 in 1997). The defensive players are faster and more experienced. Caitlin needs to stay focus 100% on ball security. And she needs to get ready to get pushed, grabbed and hammered. But she can handle it. But she is not the MVP of the league. Give her some grace and some time.

Perhaps what the OP was alluding to was the Iowa WBB team played better as a team than the Fever did last night. I'd agree. The Fever look like a team that doesn't know who they are yet, which isn't surprising considering they've only been together for about three weeks.

The Iowa women's team played a very particular type of game that was designed to capitalize on the talents of Caitlin Clark,.. The Fever are not currently playing that game,.. It will be interesting to see if they attempt to try to play that game...

Lemme guess. You’re one of the people that said CC should be drafted into the NBA because she’s better than so many of them.

I think it’s actually progress when we’re to the point of scrutinizing things like coaching, preparation, and individual play in the womens game. To me the Fever looked either poorly coached/prepared or poorly constructed from a talent perspective. And Clark took the brunt of criticism (she warranted some) when the reigning rookie of the year and top 10-15 player in the league had 4 points and 6 boards in 29 mins.

It’s not about underestimating the Sun who have really good players but more about scrutinizing the product the Fever put on the floor.

Having said that it’s one game. I think they will adjust to one another and to Clark’s style of play. Just not sure the Fever have nearly enough talent

I missed the game, but a lot of posters were saying Boston was out of shape too…😬

Reactions: intrepodor
I think it’s actually progress when we’re to the point of scrutinizing things like coaching, preparation, and individual play in the womens game. To me the Fever looked either poorly coached/prepared or poorly constructed from a talent perspective. And Clark took the brunt of criticism (she warranted some) when the reigning rookie of the year and top 10-15 player in the league had 4 points and 6 boards in 29 mins.

It’s not about underestimating the Sun who have really good players but more about scrutinizing the product the Fever put on the floor.

Having said that it’s one game. I think they will adjust to one another and to Clark’s style of play. Just not sure the Fever have nearly enough talent
So if they continue to struggle, what changes? Do they shift the whole team style to suit Clark? Do they have the players and or the coach to do so? Are the fever owners cashing it as much as possible now with the intent on trading her in a year or two as some suggested?

There’s a reason they had the #1 pick. Theyre a bad team. Fans aren’t going to continue to overpay for tickets to see her score 20 points a game and turn the ball over. The phenom is going to fade pretty fast.

So if they continue to struggle, what changes? Would they shift the whole team style to suit Clark? Do they have the players and or the coach to do so? Are the fever owners cashing it as much as possible now with the intent on trading her in a year or two as some suggested?
Fans aren’t going to continue to overpay for tickets to see her score 20 points a game and turn the ball over. The phenom is going to fade pretty fast.
She’s too good to turn the ball over that much. I think she settles in and actually does really well and becomes more consistent. But to your point how appealing is watching Clark score 25 points and be exciting if the team is record is 3-10 or whatever.

The Iowa women's team played a very particular type of game that was designed to capitalize on the talents of Caitlin Clark,.. The Fever are not currently playing that game,.. It will be interesting to see if they attempt to try to play that game...
What they did last year and so far this year doesn't show much imagination by their coach.

What they did last year and so far this year doesn't show much imagination by their coach.
True. But to play that game you need a big like Stuelke who can run the floor and finish at the basket and 2-3 shooters on the perimeter to take advantage of Clark’s passing and vision. It was hard to double Clark not just because of her skill but because of the pieces around her who could be the beneficiary of open looks.

She’s too good to turn the ball over that much. I think she settles in and actually does really well and becomes more consistent. But to your point how appealing is watching Clark score 25 points and be exciting if the team is record is 3-10 or whatever.
Bluder let her play wide open to maximize her game. The turnovers came with that. I’m not sure you can separate the two. You either get wide open or you get a lesser CC. The game that made her so famous and dynamic may not translate in a different scheme. (As others have said previously)

CC and Iowa captivated a large portion of the sports world. They created a exciting brand of women's basketball not seen before. It seemed a no-brainer that Indiana was going to bring that excitement to the struggling WNBA. But no, Caitlin now finds herself trying to diplomatically fit in with a garbage team. Apparently Indiana believes they have something to build on. Something so significant that Caitlin has to adapt to it. The WNBA as a whole can't survive without being subsidized and Indiana is the sh!ttiest team in the failing league. They got nothing. The tail is wagging the dog in Indianapolis. Bluder showed the world how it's done and Sides is too brain dead to see it. I pray this stops soon.

Yeah they might lose but this is an all time stupid comment...
Clark had 10 turnovers. How many do you think the rest of the Iowa team would have?

Who would score for Iowa if Clark is doubled non stop?

I can’t even imagine the group pants crapping in here about the officiating if Iowa played a WNBA team.

Reactions: littlez
True. But to play that game you need a big like Stuelke who can run the floor and finish at the basket and 2-3 shooters on the perimeter to take advantage of Clark’s passing and vision. It was hard to double Clark not just because of her skill but because of the pieces around her who could be the beneficiary of open looks.

So trade Boston for a big that can run the floor. Reigning rookie of the year should get you good trade value. Either that or you call Jan Jenson for training ideas to get Boston running the floor.

There are a lot of Cailin Clark fans that can't understand the difference between playing college ball and pro ball, and many of them are leaving these ridiculous comments all over the internet. Not a great look Hawkeye fans.
CC drew in a lot of “what’s hot now” fans that weren’t so much into basketball as the phenom aspect of her. She’s Taylor Swift with a ball. As had been said, they’ll slowly fade out as she becomes just another player in the WNBA (even if she’s an All Star). Sure some of the bump will remain, but there will be a significant correction. You’re already seeing people talk about how the games aren’t as exciting as watching her at Iowa. They want the Caitlin Clark show.

Last edited:

Agreed they do need a big who can run the floor. How about trading for Megan. She and CC would be a nice combination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT