ADVERTISEMENT

The night games are a perfect opportunity to....

Cubhawk1

Scout Team
Aug 12, 2014
Have some fun.... Show the fans we DO have a reason to show up and let the country know we are relevant. The "powers that be" should let the fans have some say in what to do. Maybe the team wears all black and they have a Blackout Game...whatever? Put it out there and let people run with it. Let the fans use their imagination, send it to a fan vote, and go with it. just let the fans have a say in what's going on. I think it would help heal up some of the fan angst and create a great environment.

Originally posted by Cubhawk1:
Have some fun.... Show the fans we DO have a reason to show up and let the country know we are relevant. The "powers that be" should let the fans have some say in what to do. Maybe the team wears all black and they have a Blackout Game...whatever? Put it out there and let people run with it. Let the fans use their imagination, send it to a fan vote, and go with it. just let the fans have a say in what's going on. I think it would help heal up some of the fan angst and create a great environment.
The games are on the Big Ten Network, so I don't really know about showing the country anything. But, yeah, night games are awesome. It will be great to expose visiting recruits to night games in Kinnick, along with the new first-class facilities. Iowa really needed this to spice up a rather dismal home schedule.

I hope we can get some high profile recruits to attend the Pitt game, especially if Iowa's 2-0 going in. If Iowa's 2-0 and it's a warm September night, Kinnick will be rocking like we haven't seen in awhile.

How many people do you think are going to show up for a night game on November 14 if Iowa is, say, 5-4 going in?

Kinnick could be a ghost town.

Yeah if we're struggling by then, I'd say Iowa has 55-60,000 there for that game, especially if it's very cold and or snowy like it has been the last couple years around this time. However, there's also been years where the weather has been tolerable by comparison in late November, so it just depends. It honestly could be anywhere from 15-30 degrees outside during the game. 30 is not so bad. BAU really if you think about it. If we're still playing for a decent record and it's around that temp, I could see the stands being pretty full come November 14th.

I know I'll be there (for both night games).

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
. It honestly could be anywhere from 15-30 degrees outside during the game. 30 is not so bad. BAU really if you think about it. If we're still playing for a decent record and it's around that temp, I could see the stands being pretty full come November 14th.
It would be the coldest game in history, currently held by the Michigan game two years ago with a gametime temp of 32 I believe.

They better hope Iowa is in contention for something at that point or there will literally be no one there.

Originally posted by Buck.McCoy:
. It honestly could be anywhere from 15-30 degrees outside during the game. 30 is not so bad. BAU really if you think about it. If we're still playing for a decent record and it's around that temp, I could see the stands being pretty full come November 14th.
It would be the coldest game in history, currently held by the Michigan game two years ago with a gametime temp of 32 I believe.

228px-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

They better hope Iowa is in contention for something at that point or there will literally be no one there.

Nebraska 2012? Purdue 08? Penn State 08? I'm sure there's more, but I'm too lazy to look.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by dawgs_04:

Nebraska 2012? Purdue 08? Penn State 08? I'm sure there's more, but I'm too lazy to look.
Lazy and stupid.

It was well documented that the Michigan and Nebraska games from '12 and '13 were the coldest in Kinnick history since they started keeping records. Both had gametime air temps in the low-30s and wind chills in the 20s. UM had the slightly lower air temp will NU had the slightly lower wind chill. Fact.

This post was edited on 4/14 6:55 AM by Buck.McCoy

ec
Here's the boxscore from 2012 Nebraska showing a gametime temp of 31:

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/iowa12.html

Michigan had a kickoff temp of 18 or 19. But keep b1tching and telling everyone else that they're lazy and stupid.

Originally posted by ichawk24:
Michigan had a kickoff temp of 18 or 19. But keep b1tching and telling everyone else that they're lazy and stupid.
With windchill, moron.
First of all, 31 is colder than 32 sooooo..........
indifferent.r191677.gif

But anyway, for the sake of argument, I went here:

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2013-2014/iowa11.html

Which means only one thing.....................

YOU LIED TO ME!
chris-farley-coffee-o.gif

With windchill, moron.
indifferent.r191677.gif

Which means only one thing.....................

YOU LIED TO ME!
ec
As I said, the coldest game ever.

A night game in mid-November, factoring in windchill, is likely to wind up being within a few degrees of that.

This post was edited on 4/14 8:03 AM by Buck.McCoy

With windchill, moron.
indifferent.r191677.gif

The UM game was 18 degrees. Shocking.

IOWA CITY, Ia. - According to research done by KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids, a record was set Saturday for coldest kickoff-temperature ever for an Iowa home football game.
The kickoff temperature for Iowa vs. Michigan was 18 degrees.
The previous low was 23 degrees at kickoff of a Nov. 20, 1926 game against Northwestern.

The wind chill was minus-13 at kickoff for last season's final home game, against Nebraska, but the temperature at kickoff that day was 31 degrees, with a mind out of the northwest at 26 mph.
Saturday's temperature was the first time it's been under 30 degrees at kickoff for a home game since 1991.

http://archive.hawkcentral.com/2013/11/23/its-offi

God the Michigan game was brutal. Sun didn't help at all that day in the stands. First time I've thought about heading out early as my feet (despite 3 pairs of socks) were numb. Glad I didn't as it was a pretty fun game (especially the 2nd half) and who really needs toes anyway?

Remember going out to the bar when we got back to Des Moines and caught part of the Clones/KU game. Think it was around 0, maybe below. The guys playing couldn't even play correctly it was so cold. Probably the only Cyclone win I've ever enjoyed watching.

I have Buck on ignore, but it was funny watching him look like a moron in this thread.

Hey Da Coach, time for a new handle?

My problem was using the phone app, where the ignore feature doesn't work. I'll have to avoid that.

IOWA CITY, Ia. - According to research done by KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids, a record was set Saturday for coldest kickoff-temperature ever for an Iowa home football game.

The kickoff temperature for Iowa vs. Michigan was 18 degrees.

The previous low was 23 degrees at kickoff of a Nov. 20, 1926 game against Northwestern.

The wind chill was minus-13 at kickoff for last season's final home game, against Nebraska, but the temperature at kickoff that day was 31 degrees, with a mind out of the northwest at 26 mph.

Saturday's temperature was the first time it's been under 30 degrees at kickoff for a home game since 1991.

The Nebby game was the coldest game I have ever attended. Hands down and its not even close. Including the Mich game that set the 'record.' I was also at the Penn State game in 08 that was also mentioned. Don't get me wrong 18 degrees is cold but I'll take 18 degrees and calm over 31 degrees with 25+ mph winds any day.

I've missed two games since 2001. I would agree that Nebraska 2012 was the coldest to sit through, worse than Michigan 2013.

I've missed two games since 2001. I would agree that Nebraska 2012 was the coldest to sit through, worse than Michigan 2013.
Nebraska 2012 caused permanent damage to several of my toes. Not sure how many November night games they can handle before just falling off inside my wool socks.

There was a game in November in the 80's against, I believe, Northwestern that was played in a blizzard and it was freakin cold. I don't see any way that game wasn't considerably colder than the games we are speaking of. We had to pound on each other to stay warm.

that had to be the "snow angel" game vs. Minny...

Originally posted by CaptainBB:
Nebraska 2012: 31 degrees / Wind Chill -13

Nebraska 2014: 28 degrees / Wind Chill ???
Temperature doesn't tell the story of how cold it is. 28 degrees can be very comfortable if it is somewhat calm.

Originally posted by BondHawk:

Nebraska 2012 caused permanent damage to several of my toes. Not sure how many November night games they can handle before just falling off inside my wool socks.
In otherwords...you'll be there.

I didn't know that many meteorologists posted on this site. How did we get from the post of Iowa night games to who has the best thermometer?

Originally posted by N.Legend:

I didn't know that many meteorologists posted on this site. How did we get from the post of Iowa night games to who has the best thermometer?
Because people have this innate primal desire to prove that they are right.

Sorry, but I disagree. You are completely wrong. No one ever feels the desire to prove that they are right.

Originally posted by BigRedFlood:

Sorry, but I disagree. You are completely wrong. No one ever feels the desire to prove that they are right.
You know what...you may have a point there.

Let's be honest, what are we, 11-10 or something like that in Kinnick over the last few years? Kinnick is no longer a real advantage and the atmosphere is about as stale as the product on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT