ADVERTISEMENT

The Right to Die In a Dignified Manner

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Sure, anyone can off themselves anytime they want. But, the option to die in a dignified manner is often hotly debated.

Personally, I don’t understand why this isn’t available to everyone, everywhere.

LIMA, April 22 (Reuters) - A Peruvian woman suffering from a degenerative illness has died by euthanasia after a lengthy court battle ended in a landmark ruling allowing her to end her life with medical assistance, her lawyer said on Monday.

Ana Estrada, 47, had lived with a rare incurable condition called polymyositis, which causes muscle weakness, for the past three decades. She was bed-ridden and required a ventilator to breathe.

She died on Sunday, her lawyer Josefina Miro Quesada said on X.

Estrada, a psychologist, went to court in 2016 to fight for access to euthanasia, illegal in Peru. In 2022, the Latin American nation's Supreme Court confirmed a ruling that gave Estrada an exemption to end her life.

Ana Estrada, a euthanasia advocate who suffers from an incurable condition, lies in bed at her home in Lima

Ana Estrada, a euthanasia advocate who suffers from an incurable condition that atrophies her muscles and has left her breathing through a ventilator, lies in bed at her home in Lima, Peru... Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab Read more

"Ana has left us grateful to all the people who helped give her a voice, who were with her through this fight and who supported her decision unconditionally, with love," Miro Quesada said.

Euthanasia is illegal in most countries including Peru, a majority Roman Catholic nation. In Latin America, Colombia, Ecuador and Cuba have allowed the practice under certain conditions
In an interview with Reuters after her court win, Estrada said she hoped her case would set legal precedent for the right to assisted suicide. Under Peruvian law, assisting someone's suicide and killing a terminally ill patient are punishable with prison time.

While the Supreme Court ruling did not legalize assisted dying, it exempted the doctor who supplied the drug to end Estrada's life from any punishment.

"There will come a time when I will no longer be able to write, or express myself," Estrada said at the time. "My body fails, but my mind and spirit are happy. I want the last moments of my life to be just like this

I initially supported it but I changed my mind when they decided it was ok to euthanize a young woman who was physically perfectly healthy but had depression. And it's only gotten worse since than. It is slowly creating a utilitarian culture around life which I reject entirely.

So I reject the idea entirely. Everywhere it's been tried it's been opened up far too much.

Sure, anyone can off themselves anytime they want. But, the option to die in a dignified manner is often hotly debated.

Personally, I don’t understand why this isn’t available to everyone, everywhere.

LIMA, April 22 (Reuters) - A Peruvian woman suffering from a degenerative illness has died by euthanasia after a lengthy court battle ended in a landmark ruling allowing her to end her life with medical assistance, her lawyer said on Monday.

Ana Estrada, 47, had lived with a rare incurable condition called polymyositis, which causes muscle weakness, for the past three decades. She was bed-ridden and required a ventilator to breathe.

She died on Sunday, her lawyer Josefina Miro Quesada said on X.

Estrada, a psychologist, went to court in 2016 to fight for access to euthanasia, illegal in Peru. In 2022, the Latin American nation's Supreme Court confirmed a ruling that gave Estrada an exemption to end her life.

Ana Estrada, a euthanasia advocate who suffers from an incurable condition, lies in bed at her home in Lima

Ana Estrada, a euthanasia advocate who suffers from an incurable condition that atrophies her muscles and has left her breathing through a ventilator, lies in bed at her home in Lima, Peru... Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab Read more

"Ana has left us grateful to all the people who helped give her a voice, who were with her through this fight and who supported her decision unconditionally, with love," Miro Quesada said.

Euthanasia is illegal in most countries including Peru, a majority Roman Catholic nation. In Latin America, Colombia, Ecuador and Cuba have allowed the practice under certain conditions
In an interview with Reuters after her court win, Estrada said she hoped her case would set legal precedent for the right to assisted suicide. Under Peruvian law, assisting someone's suicide and killing a terminally ill patient are punishable with prison time.

While the Supreme Court ruling did not legalize assisted dying, it exempted the doctor who supplied the drug to end Estrada's life from any punishment.

"There will come a time when I will no longer be able to write, or express myself," Estrada said at the time. "My body fails, but my mind and spirit are happy. I want the last moments of my life to be just like this
Maybe people need to try biting the sh!t out of someone’s hand and see if that works.

• Wow
Reactions: blhawk
I initially supported it but I changed my mind when they decided it was ok to euthanize a young woman who was physically perfectly healthy but had depression. And it's only gotten worse since than. It is slowly creating a utilitarian culture around life which I reject entirely.

So I reject the idea entirely. Everywhere it's been tried it's been opened up far too much.

You realize anyone can blow their brains out at any time they want, correct? Death is merely a trip to Walmart away - problem is your family is left cleaning up the splatter.

You realize anyone can blow their brains out at any time they want, correct?

Yes but when you put the seal of approval of the state and medical profession upon it, it starts to change the culture around it. It's clearly happening.

I would advocate that if someone is in pain and dying that we should leave them with as much pain medication as they want to take. But they have to do it themselves.

Yes but when you put the seal of approval of the state and medical profession upon it, it starts to change the culture around it. It's clearly happening.

I would advocate that if someone is in pain and dying that we should leave them with as much pain medication as they want to take. But they have to do it themselves.

How pleasant for the friends and family that are left to deal with the aftermath. I hope they’ve seen Weekend at Bernie’s so they don’t sprain their back dragging out the corpse and they can get the stain out of the carpet where the person shit and pissed themselves.

How pleasant for the friends and family that are left to deal with the aftermath. I hope they’ve seen Weekend at Bernie’s so they don’t sprain their back dragging out the corpse and they can get the stain out of the carpet where the person shit and pissed themselves.

Most people want to die at home anyways what's the difference? Do you think a euthanasia injection eliminates the problem of a body evacuating the bowels?

No. People must be alone and scared in their final minutes. The clean up is just too much to bear.

If someone is going to call their friends and family over and OD themselves I'm not going to take issue with that. They can just call hospice in to confirm death after it's done.

if people are permitted to schedule their deaths, they'll all make solid arrangements to pass on their assets thereby depriving the state of free $$.

How many people have enough assets/money that they have to worry about an inheritance tax?

Those at the top of society don't want lower class individuals to have an opportunity to escape a lifetime of servitude to their economy. They need more ditch diggers not less

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Physician assisted suicide should be available everywhere. We treat animals better than we treat humans.
This X 1000

A family friend of mine recently had his father pass away from cancer (not sure what kind). In the final days he couldn't move at all, couldn't talk, and was puking up his own feces.

If an animal had been in that position, it would have been put to sleep immediately. But since he was a human, he just had to suffer through it until his body totally gave out.

Currently reading (*listening to*) Shogun., set in feudal Japan, circa 1600 and they were Buddhists, but committing "dignified" suicide or "Seppuku" was one of the most honored and treasured things in their culture.....being allowed to do this on their own terms seemed almost as important as the actual content of their life.

Now I am by no means saying it was 100% correct or that we should revert back to the ways of feudal Japan, but I guess how they accept death, in any form, as a part of life and being able to have control over that part of your life is somewhat refreshing.

I realize there is the religious aspect of suicide to some, but I think there should 100% be options for some people in certain scenarios. I have a couple instances a little too close to home that could probably apply unfortunately.

They could just stop treatment instead.

Yeah, that sounds totally pain free.

Life isn't as precious as your god makes it out to be bro - especially when it's just endless, excruciating pain.

I know, I know...churchy, churchy something or other. god and scripture blah, blah, blah. you were once an aetheist derpa, derp, derp. There, we can save the back and forth.

This X 1000

A family friend of mine recently had his father pass away from cancer (not sure what kind). In the final days he couldn't move at all, couldn't talk, and was puking up his own feces.

If an animal had been in that position, it would have been put to sleep immediately. But since he was a human, he just had to suffer through it until his body totally gave out.

We "value" life in the weirdest way. I could have this same conversation about extending life for as long as we do with medication, procedures, etc. Existing is not living.

They do. And then suffer until the end.

Your opinion is one of some religious zealot who's never had to watch someone die a bad death.

I've seen lots of people die.

Most people only get to old ages because they take vaccines, blood pressure meds, etc. for decades.

No?

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
Yeah, that sounds totally pain free.

Life isn't as precious as your god makes it out to be bro - especially when it's just endless, excruciating pain.

I know, I know...churchy, churchy something or other. god and scripture blah, blah, blah. you were once an aetheist derpa, derp, derp. There, we can save the back and forth.

Well, it is interesting how only a small percentage of patients offered euthanasia take the option and most are NOT in chronic pain.

Very liberal Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel has written alot on this.

@JWolf74

Last edited:
Well, it is interesting how only a small percentage of patients offered euthanasia take the option and most are NOT in chronic pain.

Great. Regardless, I don't think it's any of my or anyone else's business why people choose to do what they do in that situation. But I know the desire to "save" is strong in many (and misguided).

Great. Regardless, I don't think it's any of my or anyone else's business why people choose to do what they do in that situation. But I know the desire to "save" is strong in many (and misguided).

There's not much I can do about it.

This woman from The Netherlands?

I’m not fond of it either, but I hold a similar view to one of the doctors from said article:

"I've treated patients that I knew were going to commit suicide," she says. "I knew. They told me, I felt it, and I thought, 'I can't help you.' So to have euthanasia as an alternative makes me very grateful we have a law. The ones I know will commit suicide are terminal in my opinion. And I don't want to abandon my patients who are not able to go on with their lives. That makes me willing to perform euthanasia."

@JWolf74

I work exclusively in the inpatient setting. While this is not a common conversation, anecdotally 100% of the hospitalists I've spoken to favor physician assisted suicide. We've seen far too many bad deaths. As @Hawki97 Said, existing is not living. We're really good at keeping people alive. But they're not "living".

What's your point? If those medications are allowing you to live a good life they're worth it. That's not even in the same universe as what we're talking about.

My point is that many of the people that die badly are continuing routine care that they could just stop and pass away naturally without euthanasia.

I see lots of older adults 85+ with dementia that only get there because they're getting vaccinated, colonoscopies, etc.

Reactions: littlez
It is not a space where the government should be involved. It's government imposing Christian dogma (mortal sins) under the guise of protecting people who are not terminal from overaggressive doctors. Watched my mom wither away from pancreatic cancer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT