ADVERTISEMENT

thoughts on who might be the next to commit?

After just reading the TJ Hockinson interview I have to think it is going to be him.

Ok, should I be pissed because we took so long to offer a good Iowa kid or because we offered a good 2-star kid?

Kirk continues to be a MAC killer.

Those coaches just have to HATE him.
How do you think the FCS scools feel when KF poaches/offers a kid their after? Wilson was headed to Western Illinois. Jansen was headed to UNI. Graham was getting interest from Stephen F Austin. Look at the offers for most of the O-line recruits in the past couple of classes- alot of the Northern Colorado's,Illinois State's, Mizzu State's, etc..... of the world. Check out the offer lists for the two most recent prospects the Hawks offered-Schulte and Barnwart. Stealing MAC level recruits is prolly an improvement/step up.

How do you think the FCS scools feel when KF poaches/offers a kid their after? Wilson was headed to Western Illinois. Jansen was headed to UNI. Graham was getting interest from Stephen F Austin. Look at the offers for most of the O-line recruits in the past couple of classes- alot of the Northern Colorado's,Illinois State's, Mizzu State's, etc..... of the world. Check out the offer lists for the two most recent prospects the Hawks offered-Schulte and Barnwart. Stealing MAC level recruits is prolly an improvement/step up.

Well, to be fair, he thinks if he can get enough kids that would have gone to UNI, he might be able to beat ISU eventually.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
Don't we normally wait until December/January before we give up on other prospects and sign the 2-star Iowa kids away from MAC teams?

Don't we normally wait until December/January before we give up on other prospects and sign the 2-star Iowa kids away from MAC teams?

It is becoming a Big concern that we are already offering under the radar kids from Iowa, kids that are normally fall-back recruits. So much for the new recruiting coordinator being in place and having time to get things going and so much for the new staff members having a couple of years to make contacts and establish pipelines.

This staff is either extremely ineffective at recruiting or extremely lazy or some combination of the two.

It is becoming a Big concern that we are already offering under the radar kids from Iowa, kids that are normally fall-back recruits. So much for the new recruiting coordinator being in place and having time to get things going and so much for the new staff members having a couple of years to make contacts and establish pipelines.

This staff is either extremely ineffective at recruiting or extremely lazy or some combination of the two.

Just look at the positions that these recruits fall under: Offensive Linemen, Tight end. These are areas that less-sought-after recruits in Iowa have done better within this program. If you look at the offer list as a whole this year, the spread is much broader and the offers are a lot earlier. What I see in this latest batch of offers is kids that fit the mold we have been successful with - safer options, while trying to get more national in areas we have struggled in: RB, WR, DE, etc. A lot of people are grumbling that recruiting hasn't changed because we are not seeing immediate results of multiple 4 star commitments. However, just looking at the offer list is showing that the groundwork is changing - and personally, I like it. I don't want us to stop recruiting within the state proactively and offering kids who deserve it now just because there 'might' be some 4 star from out of state that has the rating. I think that things are looking much more balanced rather than totally conservative. The groundwork is being laid - I think we will be seeing results that indicate the change over the summer and into the fall with commitments. In fact, I might already argue that the last two commitments are further down the development road than the last couple years, especially at DE.

How do you know they are fall-back recruits? Were you at the camp and did you help evaluate when they were offered? Have you ever even coached before? Just because they are from Iowa, don't have many D1 offers, and haven't been evaluated by Rivals, does not make them fall-back recruits. This happens every year at camp, so this is nothing new. Some are just more well-known than others.

I think the new recruiting coordinator is doing an excellent job, and just because we offer a few Iowa kids after they did well at a camp, you say he's not? New facilities are done, but that will make a bigger impact on the 2017 class, imho. It's hard for kids to visualize the finished product, and with the facility still adding the final touches, we've missed some of the 2016 crop. Also, I think it's pretty lazy on your part to criticize the staff on their recruiting. Have you seen the number of offers that have gone out and to which parts of the country? I'm guessing you've never coached college if you have at all, but recruiting is a difficult task. Not to mention, it is difficult to get kids to Iowa. Not an excuse, but the reality of the situation, and that doesn't mean I accept it, and I dont think the staff does either.

I'm all for criticizing Coach F and staff for there roles as leaders and football coaches, anyone has the right. But, this staff cares and wants to win, and just because we offered a few Iowa Boys, backbone of our teams, does not convince me otherwise. Bottom line, we need to start winning games!!

How do you know they are fall-back recruits? Were you at the camp and did you help evaluate when they were offered? Have you ever even coached before? Just because they are from Iowa, don't have many D1 offers, and haven't been evaluated by Rivals, does not make them fall-back recruits. This happens every year at camp, so this is nothing new. Some are just more well-known than others.

I think the new recruiting coordinator is doing an excellent job, and just because we offer a few Iowa kids after they did well at a camp, you say he's not? New facilities are done, but that will make a bigger impact on the 2017 class, imho. It's hard for kids to visualize the finished product, and with the facility still adding the final touches, we've missed some of the 2016 crop. Also, I think it's pretty lazy on your part to criticize the staff on their recruiting. Have you seen the number of offers that have gone out and to which parts of the country? I'm guessing you've never coached college if you have at all, but recruiting is a difficult task. Not to mention, it is difficult to get kids to Iowa. Not an excuse, but the reality of the situation, and that doesn't mean I accept it, and I dont think the staff does either.

I'm all for criticizing Coach F and staff for there roles as leaders and football coaches, anyone has the right. But, this staff cares and wants to win, and just because we offered a few Iowa Boys, backbone of our teams, does not convince me otherwise. Bottom line, we need to start winning games!!

I like to look at what other Power 5 schools have offered as a basis for evaluation. I think this is probably the best way to determine what other staffs think of recruits and their potential.
Would you care to list the other Power 5 offers this recent group of Iowa offers currently has?

Reactions: Ray1125
I like to look at what other Power 5 schools have offered as a basis for evaluation. I think this is probably the best way to determine what other staffs think of recruits and their potential.
Would you care to list the other Power 5 offers this recent group of Iowa offers currently has?
2 That I see.

Sure, that's one way to go about it, and maybe a good indicator for players who hit the camp circuit, which I'm not sure many of these Iowa kids have. But to play your game and to answer your question, zero. However, I would think evaluating their video or evaluating in-person would be a more effective method, not just what a Rivals profile says. Everything you read on the internet is true and usually tells the entire story, correct?

In addition, given the positions being offered and the track record for success with this coaching staff on coaching these positions, I'm not concerned and I think your evaluation basis is pretty poor. Only time will tell how they turn out, and again, I'm open for criticism, but, criticizing just to criticize gets extremely old.

Reactions: brokenarrow73
Sure, that's one way to go about it, and maybe a good indicator for players who hit the camp circuit, which I'm not sure many of these Iowa kids have. But to play your game and to answer your question, zero. However, I would think evaluating their video or evaluating in-person would be a more effective method, not just what a Rivals profile says. Everything you read on the internet is true and usually tells the entire story, correct?

In addition, given the positions being offered and the track record for success with this coaching staff on coaching these positions, I'm not concerned and I think your evaluation basis is pretty poor. Only time will tell how they turn out, and again, I'm open for criticism, but, criticizing just to criticize gets extremely old.

22, You could be correct. The only thing for sure about this kid, he's smart. I believe 3 Ivy league offers?
So KF is not just poaching the MAC, Ivy league better watch out.

I am trying to figure out why we seem to be recruiting so many undersized O-Line. Most of of our 6'5" plus seem to be walk on's. The Paulsens last year seem to have been an exception.

Looks like it's time for you to watch the Tax Slayer Bowl again...big boy ! That's what it looks like when you have to play a team with 5/4 star talent. Much different then playing Ball St and Nothern Iowa.

Reactions: Paul Cook
Cue the 'Iowa has done a great job of spotting a class A, Iowa high school talent similar to _____ fill in the blank from the early part of Kirks career' followed by the 'why are we offering a class A Iowa high school player this early, the staff is lazy'

I am trying to figure out why we seem to be recruiting so many undersized O-Line. Most of of our 6'5" plus seem to be walk on's. The Paulsens last year seem to have been an exception.

I understand your point but Spencer Williams commit is not a great example. He committed as a Center and that position is generally about his size. And most high school recruits (regardless of state) are smaller because their strength training isnt as good. I would be more concerned about an overweight OLineman coming out of high school. Just being bigger is not the goal, you want them to be athletic and put on good weight

I understand your point but Spencer Williams commit is not a great example. He committed as a Center and that position is generally about his size. And most high school recruits (regardless of state) are smaller because their strength training isnt as good. I would be more concerned about an overweight OLineman coming out of high school. Just being bigger is not the goal, you want them to be athletic and put on good weight
I should have been a bit clearer, I meant height wise we seem to be recruiting more 6'3" players (which we all really know means 6'2"). When I look at O-Lines like Wiskys, they all seem to be 6'5" and up.

I should have been a bit clearer, I meant height wise we seem to be recruiting more 6'3" players (which we all really know means 6'2"). When I look at O-Lines like Wiskys, they all seem to be 6'5" and up.

Yeah that's true. I am excited for the players we are getting but would love to get some higher recruited guys. I feel like the hawks are offering in state guys without many offers earlier this year. Although it appears Spencer Williams was already committed to WMU so it is good to get him before he gets closer to that program. I suppose it is becoming more common for recruits to want to commit earlier, not that I blame them

A LB who shows offers from BC, Maryland, Va Tech, Wisky along with some others. A 5.7 3 star. Looks like a solid pick- up. Nice job Chris White and welcome Kyle!

Yeah, real tough recruiting someone when their brother already plays here.

It has been awhile since I have posted to the football site because of the crap I have been reading, this thread is a good example. It is hard to believe that anyone would question Kirk and staff about OL recruiting. There have been two outland trophy winners while Kirk has been head coach. Both were 2-3 star recruits from Iowa, yet you experts question us offering Williams and Banwert after competing in camp. You Ferentz bashers should give it a rest. I think he at least should have get some credit for being an OL factory to the NFL.

Maybe some of you should tell Gallery and Sherff that they were MAC, UNI material.

Reactions: Antietamhawk
It has been awhile since I have posted to the football site because of the crap I have been reading, this thread is a good example. It is hard to believe that anyone would question Kirk and staff about OL recruiting. There have been two outland trophy winners while Kirk has been head coach. Both were 2-3 star recruits from Iowa, yet you experts question us offering Williams and Banwert after competing in camp. You Ferentz bashers should give it a rest. I think he at least should have get some credit for being an OL factory to the NFL.

Maybe some of you should tell Gallery and Sherff that they were MAC, UNI material.

Iowa has had plenty of bad OLs along with the good ones. Last year's group was pretty awful overall considering it had 2 NFL tackles, and this year is shaping up to be one of the worst lines ever in Kirk's 17 seasons.

But you're right, his OL coaching and recruiting is impeccable.

I'm fine with Kirk offering in-state linemen, no matter where they come from, size of the athlete, size of the school they attend, etc. It's the overall product and the Head Coach that oversees them that bothers me. But it's still the Iowa Hawkeyes and I'll still watch them and hope for the best.

I've completely tuned out anything Kirk Ferentz has to say anymore. As have many I suspect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT