ADVERTISEMENT

**Throwback Thursday: Ohio State 1998**

FlickShagwell

HR Legend
Jun 16, 2003
Omaha, NE
Posted this in the lounge last week on Hayden's birthday. Not one many will want to relive, but I was there in the front row on the northeast goal line with my dad my junior year of high school and that trip was really what sold me on Iowa and Iowa City. The atmosphere for that ass pounding at the tailend of what would be a 3-8 season was still crazy. Way more fun than the past few years of Iowa football. Just edited this so I could go back and watch it occasionally, but if you guys dig it, well then bonus!

In Hayden Fry's last home game as head coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes, his
defense played well enough to keep the game within reach for the first
half before succombing to OSU's star power down the stretch. The
Hawkeyes forced three turnovers, but could get little going offensively.
Kyle McCann came in for injured Scott Mullen and saw success early, but
the Buckeyes solved the Hawkeye offense, blitzing McCann often and
totalling 11 sacks. The tired Iowa defense couldn't get the stops in the
second half against QB Joe Germaine, WR David Boston, and RB Joe
Montgomery. Hayden Fry ended his Hawkeye career with a 3-8 record.

Click here for Hayden's final homegame.

You honestly think that ass pounding was more fun to watch than a close victory now? I somehow have a hard time believing you really mean that. If your unaware of it we run the same thing now that HF run back then.

I was 12 years old, but I remember that game as I was there with my dad in the north end zone. There was definitely some excitement when Iowa got the pick and Scott Mullen ran it in. Did Scott Mullen ever win a game as starter for Iowa?

I was there. North End Zone about 20 rows up. The DJ Johnson pick was being returned right at me. Mullen scores next play. Kinnick was rocking Next play, Joe Montgomery goes 80 yards untouched, LOL

The 1996 game was pretty good too. The final makes it look worse than it was, and Tim Dwight was a beast that day.

Originally posted by Pepperman:
The 1996 game was pretty good too. The final makes it look worse than it was, and Tim Dwight was a beast that day.
That's the game where Plez Atkins made the Outland Trophy winner Orlando Pace's highlight reel.

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:
Posted this in the lounge last week on Hayden's birthday. Not one many will want to relive, but I was there in the front row on the northeast goal line with my dad my junior year of high school and that trip was really what sold me on Iowa and Iowa City. The atmosphere for that ass pounding at the tailend of what would be a 3-8 season was still crazy. Way more fun than the past few years of Iowa football. Just edited this so I could go back and watch it occasionally, but if you guys dig it, well then bonus!

Yeah our fans don't celebrate interception returns like they did back in 1998......................

And our players under Ferentz just don't celebrate big plays like interceptions and touchdowns like they did back in 1998...............

Man I wish we could go back to those days.........................oh wait, according to some fans we're already there.

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:
Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
Yeah our fans don't celebrate interception returns like they did back in 1998......................
And our players under Ferentz just don't celebrate big plays like interceptions and touchdowns like they did back in 1998...............

Man I wish we could go back to those days.........................oh wait, according to some fans we're already there.
Not too much difference between the 98 Ohio State game and the 2014 Minnesota and Tennessee games on the field, is there? And in 1998, you could at least leave, go drink a beer in the parking lot, and come back in to take the sting off.
1998 Ohio State was loaded with draft picks. Eight draftees (three in the first round), and six more the next year. 2014 Minnesota wasn't and 2014 Tennessee had a lot of underclassmen. But your point is well taken.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT