ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Lester, my thoughts, FWIW

Well yeah QB experience is a good deal. Heaven knows we suck at that part. Maybe he works out

QB experience as a starter is good. I thing Budamyr was career backup QB? Whoever gets the job, they need final say on things like when its time to replace a QB.

I’m sorry but the only ones reporting that Lester was calling plays at WMU is the Iowa media.

From the Western Herald when WMU’s OC left for the NFL...

“Moreland has been at WMU since 2017, when he was hired as the offensive line coach and co-offensive coordinator before taking over the offense on his own in 2018. In 2020 he shifted his positional focus from offensive line to tight ends. Moreland earlier served as WMU’s tight ends coach from 2005-’11.

During his time as offensive coordinator, the Broncos had LeVante Bellamy win MAC Offensive Player of the Year in 2019 and have produced 11 first-team All-MAC players on the offensive side of the football. In his three years in charge of the offensive line, WMU had four first-team All-MAC offensive lineman and eight total All-MAC honorees.”

The article made no mention that Lester was the actual play caller at all, just talked about who Moreland’s replacements would be.

So this false narrative that the Iowa media is pushing appears to be nothing more than damage control.
Unless Lester was lying, Lester himself was calling plays. That is according to Lester. If the Iowa media is pushing a false narrative, I’m afraid it is because our new OC is lying about who was calling plays for the Broncos after 2017.

You are correct, Moreland became the sole OC, 2018. That is also when Lester started calling plays again.

Edit: I see Max_Rebo linked an article.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Yeah, Alvarez was better, but he is no longer coaching. If you want to look historically there are quite a few coaches better than KF, like Bill Snyder. I’m not even saying KF is great by any means, I’m just saying he’s above his peers in the current landscape. That counts for something.
point taken

That would be an improvement by at least 50 spots. You'd be stupid not to sign up for that at this point with this defense.
I'm all for improvement, but I also am not going to be "thrilled" with an offense in the 80s. Just because we had a historically bad offense doesn't mean we should lower our expectations.

For the record, I think people are overblowing this guys "poor" results. The efficiency rankings the other poster listed don't look accurate to me. I'm seeing much better results. Having said that, we could have hired the best OC in the world and I'm not sure much would change as long as KF is still here. Hope he proves me wrong because I'm tired of watching elite defense go to waste.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Both Doc and Kakert were alluding to Lester as well Friday and yesterday. No one wanted to believe it.

And he did not have “solid” offensive numbers at WMU.

Offensive efficiency rankings WMU

2022 118
2021 76
2020 31
2019 78
2018 99
2017 83

So the only time he cracked the 55th percentile was the COVID year.

I can appreciate your optimism and hope it works out but this is a grossly underwhelming hire on paper.
Where you pulling those numbers from? They don't look accurate from what I'm seeing.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Kirk could of had a pool of candidates from across the entire country to select from and this is the guy, huh? Clearly sticking it to the A.D. and his critics, there's no other way around it.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
More likely, Lester was the guy. Johns interviwed but Lester checked more box

checked more boxes???as if you peeps were in the room. I’ve heard some say Johns was the better candidate, Christ said no etc etc… yall so damn dmb chasing a bunch of stuff you have 0 facts about. If you weren’t involved in the hiring process you have no clue on who interviewed, who was offered, who turned what down and who the best candidate was/is…. Jfc.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
Kirk could of had a pool of candidates from across the entire country to select from and this is the guy, huh? Clearly sticking it to the A.D. and his critics, there's no other way around it.
Yeah I’m sure the winningest coach in Iowa history handles an OC hire like you presume… how do you peeps get dressed in the mornings alone? Jfc. Just keeps getting more dmb on here daily.

• Haha
Reactions: TRHawkeye145
"Christ" never said no because KF never offered, amirite? Keep coping. Also way to go off on somebody who was agreeing with you.

Kirk could have had a pool of candidates from across the entire country to select from and this is the guy, huh? Clearly sticking it to the A.D. and his critics, there's no other way around it.
Why do people say shit like this?

Yes, Kirk is intentionally sabotaging his entire legacy to stick it to the AD. Think about it for at least 5 seconds.

We can all disagree with the hire, but this is simply the guy that Kirk thinks is best for the job, or at least the best guy considering his options. That does not mean he is the best guy for the job, but Kirk thinks he is, and he might be?

It’s not like the guy isn’t qualified. Of all the OCs Kirk has had, he is at least the second most qualified guy to take the job.

"Christ" never said no because KF never offered, amirite? Keep coping. Also way to go off on somebody who was agreeing with you.
I wasn’t going off on him, commenting on his comments about you nut jobs who think you know something about something you know nothing about.

I just hope as the OC that TL has a say in who will be our QB. As I mentioned earlier if D Hill is the QB then it’s obvious he has no power.
Hill is not going to be the starting QB. It’s similar to crying that Budmayr was going to be the OC. It was not going to happen.

Now, if he is #2 on the depth chart in September, that is a concern. I suppose that’s not unimaginable, but I doubt even that will be the case.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
As were the Norm Parker and Joe Philbin hires by Kirk initially. I really think this decision is grossly over played by many here. Kirk’s offensive problems have been in the making for 3 years now....recruits that haven’t worked out on the o-line and really bad QB recruiting.
One thing I have changed my mind on over the years is that most of these coaches and assistants know a helluva lot more about football than I....and honestly, all things being equal, execution is more important than strategy. Football is about “fits” as much as anything. I wish the Hawks good luck this season.
You have to be able to recruit players who can execute. Recruiting players for your scheme is on the OC. If they can't, they won't be successful.

I hate the idea on this board that we can't be critical of hires or coaches because they know more than we do about football. College coaches are not perfect and can be prone to tunnel vision and emotions just as much as we are.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
So confirmation, the hire was not based on finances. The Syracuse situation was much rougher than confirmed, the cadence situation was certainly part of it, but injuries to the OL and taking over mid-season in October doesn't tell the whole story. If Iowa comes out in spring running the pistol, I will be on board. If the majority of players are under center running the power I, then we all know how this is going down.

Reactions: Birky
He hates your ass. He texted me to let me know.

"I always go with sticking it to my dumbass critics over winning "

I'm OK with you re-tweeting this for the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT