Time for annual all Ferentz team

tony0051

HR MVP
Mar 29, 2006
Just cuz I am bored

Offense

QB
1) CJ Beathard
2) Nate Stanley (will prolly be 1 by end of career)

RB
1) Shonn Greene
2) Akrum Wadley

TE
1) Dallas Clark
2) Noah Fant (see Stanley comment)

WR
1) Marvin McNutt
2) Ed Hinkel

WR
1) DJK
2) Andy Brodell

LT
1) Robert Gallery
2) Bryan Bulaga

LG
1) Eric Steinbach
2) Sean Welsh

C
1) Bruce Nelson
2) James Daniels

RG
1) Marshall Yanda
2) ????

RT
1) Brandon Scherff
2) Reilly Reiff

FB
1) Aaron Mickens
2) Tom Busch

PK
1) Nate Kaeding
2) Daniel Murray

Defense

DE
1) Matt Roth
2) Howard Hodges

DT
1) John Babinauex
2) Colin Cole

DT
1) Mike Daniels
2) Aaron Kampman

DE
1) Adrian Clayborn
2) Kenny Iwebema

OLB
1) Chad Greenway
2) AJ Edds

MLB
1) Josey Jewell
2) Tie Pat Angerer n Abdul Hodge

OLB
1) Chris Kirksey
2) Anthony Hitchens

SS
1) Bob Sanders**
2) Tyler Sash

FS
1) Sean Considine
2) Marcus Paschal

CB
1) Dez King
2) Amari Spievey

CB
1) Josh Jackson
2) Micah Hyde

P
1) Jason Baker
2) Ryan Donahue

** Denotes best player at any position during Ferentz area

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Donahue over Baker and Solomon over Brodell. Kampman was a DE I believe also Epenesa and Nelson might be in the two deeps for DE after this year.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Agree on Stanzi - in NFL for at least 3 years and one or more in the Canadian league.
Also, Tate seems to have been in the CFL forever!!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
he was the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy. He won the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best Quarterback. He was named AP College Football Player of the Year, Walter Camp Foundation First-team All-America, Second-team All-America by the AP, Second-team All-America by The Sporting News, Second-team All-America by CNNSI.com. He also earned the Chicago TribuneSilver Football Award as the Big Ten Conference's Most Valuable Player. He was named the Big Ten Conference Offensive Player of the Year, one of three finalists for Maxwell Award, one of 10 finalists for Walter Camp Foundation Player of the Year, First-team All-Conference, a permanent team captain on offense, Co-Offensive MVP, Hayden Fry "Extra Heartbeat" Award winner.

I’d go with Koehn at kicker over Murray despite his PAT issues senior year. Guaranteed touchback on kickoffs, and had a boot on field goals as well

LBs should probably reflect their role within Iowa's scheme. In Iowa's D ... the OLB spot is referred to as the LEO spot ... and it is rather different than the WILL spot, which in Iowa's D is considered an ILB spot.

One of the few counters to this claim - Norm Parker always claimed that Greenway could have played the LEO spot as well as the WILL spot. It's just that the WILL spot tends to have more action funnel to it ... so it was more useful to utilize Chad's skill-set making more plays for the D.

Just cuz I am bored

Offense

QB
1) Brad Banks
2) Drew Tate
(If Stanley continues to improve ... he has a legit chance to land at #1)

RB
1) Shonn Greene
2) Jermelle Lewis
(exceedingly tough call - when healthy, I'm not certain that Iowa's had a better back than Jermelle)

TE
1) Dallas Clark
2) Tony Moeaki/George Kittle
(when healthy Tony and George were among our most "balanced" TEs in terms of explosiveness as a pass-catcher and dominating as a blocker .... if Fant can learn to block on the same level as these guys ... he could earn the #1 spot)

WR
1) Marvin McNutt
2) Clinton Solomon

WR
1) Ed Hinkel
2) Maurice Brown/Kevin Kasper
(DJK was the top target in a pretty weak group of WRs in '07 and '08 - his development stagnated and never reached the same heights as any of the guys listed above)

LT
1) Robert Gallery
2) Bryan Bulaga
(Choosing a top LT at Iowa is really hard!)

LG
1) Eric Steinbach
2) Sean Welsh/Adam Gettis

C
1) Bruce Nelson
2) James Daniels

RG
1) Marshall Yanda
2) Austin Blythe/Jordan Walsh
(If it weren't for Daniels - Blythe would make the list at center, Blythe was effective for us at OG too)

RT
1) Brandon Scherff
2) Reilly Reiff
(Filling the RT spot with LTs .... I understand, but we've had some good RTs through the years too)

FB
1) Jeremy Allen (and it's not even close - the most versatile guy we've ever had at the position)
2) Macon Plewa/Adam Cox
(Macon and Adam were a great duo for us in '15 - I cannot imagine one without the other for us)

PK
1) Nate Kaeding
2) Marshall Koehn
(I think Recinos has a good shot to land at #2 for us ... and I think Koehn just missed another extra point)

Defense

DE
1) Matt Roth
2) Aaron Kampman
(Aaron's production was crazy ... but Matt's disruptive ability was almost unparalleled at Iowa)

DT
1) Jonathan Babineaux
2) Mitch King/Mike Daniels

DT
1) Colin Cole
2) Karl Klug/Jaleel Johnson
(Choosing top DTs is tough ... if Christian Ballard liked football more and worked harder to develop as a player, he arguably could have been our best-ever DT)

DE
1) Adrian Clayborn
2) Drew Ott
(I think that both Anthony Nelson and AJ Epenesa have a great chance of making the list at DE ... a great confluence for the Hawks of having such players on the squad at the same time)

LEO
1) Christian Kirksey
2) AJ Edds
(Grant Steen was a pretty darn good LEO for the Hawks ... so when Edds surpassed his productivity ... I though he was the new gold standard. Amazingly, Kirksey completely redefined the position for the Hawks ... and set a whole new standard)

MIKE
1) Josey Jewell/Abdul Hodge
2) Pat Angerer
(Abdul was great against the run ... Pat was great against the pass .... Josey was solid against everything)

WILL
1) Chad Greenway
2) Anthony Hitchens

SS
1) Bob Sanders**
2) Tyler Sash

FS
1) Sean Considine
2) Marcus Paschal
(It's hard to not have Greenwood on the list - but it would perhaps even be more egregious to omit Marcus ... Lomax is also one of my favorites ... it's hard not to have him on the list)

CB
1) Dez King/Amari Spievey
2) Jovon Johnson
(Amari was arguably one of our best-ever Ferentz-era cover-corners ... Dez was a little more exploitable versus the pass, but he was stronger against the run. Also, any omission of Jovon is pretty egregious in my book.)

CB
1) Josh Jackson
2) Micah Hyde

P
1) Jason Baker
2) Ryan Donahue
(Ron Coluzzi maybe makes the list if he had been on the team longer. Also, it really is hard to pick between Jason and Ryan.)

** Denotes best player at any position during Ferentz area
My alterations made in red.

Brodell? wtf? The punt return against ISU was a fantastic moment but hardly worthy of all Ferentz team recognition... Mo Brown or Clinton Solomon had much more production and big plays in my opinion.

Brodell? wtf? The punt return against ISU was a fantastic moment but hardly worthy of all Ferentz team recognition... Mo Brown or Clinton Solomon had much more production and big plays in my opinion.
Solomon had better receiver numbers but brodell was also an excellent punt returner. Debated among the other two but gave nod to Andy because of his return abilities.

Also for those talking about Banks. Dude had the benefit of having by far the most talented roster in KF era on offense.

Just look at the list I put together. Half the offense has guys from the 02 roster.

Plus Jermelle Lewis was arguably the most talented back of KF era. Brad had a great yr but he had a ton of help

Reactions: ICTrojans99
I agree with a lot of the people. And not to be Debbie Downer and state the obvious, but our WR's, not great under Kirk. Actually really poor overall for a team with 5 top 10 finishes under Kirk. Thank God for the OL, TE's, general running game and D and special teams. I mean our best WR's under Kirk are McNutt, DJK, Kasper, Hinkel, and Brodell? Over 19 years. Ouch.

Some really questionable names I've seen listed here. Most are pretty good though. Agreed with most that Allen is clearly the best FB. Brodell though? Murray? Ott? Jermelle Lewis? I hate to add Jermelle there because he was the man, and the injury bug did bite him. However, he benefited from running behind the best line in football and he wasn't as good as Greene, Betts, Wadley, or Coker. Ott was no Hodges, Ballard or even Binns.

On the O-Line it's pretty tough, but I think Dace, Calloway, Bruggerman, and Seth Olsen at least deserve consideration instead of Welsh. Agree with Ghost on adding Walsh/Blythe to the mix to the last two spots since 8 of the 10 line spots should be close to locks.

Haven't seen Pagel's name listed as a backup free safety, he was pretty solid. Think you have to have Spievey on there along with King and Jackson at corner. The 4th corner is tough since it's been so deep. I've seen Hyde and Johnson mentioned, I would add Godfrey and Fletcher to the mix. Fletcher had a really good senior year.

Some really questionable names I've seen listed here. Most are pretty good though. Agreed with most that Allen is clearly the best FB. Brodell though? Murray? Ott? Jermelle Lewis? I hate to add Jermelle there because he was the man, and the injury bug did bite him. However, he benefited from running behind the best line in football and he wasn't as good as Greene, Betts, Wadley, or Coker. Ott was no Hodges, Ballard or even Binns.
Iowa's OL has had more high-water marks than just 2002. Betts was a strong runner ... it wasn't easy to not list him. Wadley was a dynamic runner ... but even he could be bottled up. Of course, to Wadley's credit - his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield elevated him even beyond Albert Young in that category. A healthy Albert Young would have been an amazing RB to behold ... however, we fans only got to enjoy the guy after he had been slowed by multiple surgeries. Coker ran behind a sneaky good Iowa OL in '11 ... no way he was better than Jermelle.

As for Ott ... I urge you to rewatch the '15 game against Wisconsin. Iowa doesn't win that game without Drew Ott. If you check his production ... in the equivalent of 3 games worth of snaps in '15 ... he still managed to have 7.5 TFLs and 5 sacks. On top of that, even injured, he helped Hesse to prep throughout the whole season ... which helped Hesse to play beyond his years that season.

And, mind you, that is with Ott playing teams wielding a diversity of offensive attacks. I love guys like Howard Hodges ... but you have to remember that Os were a little less varied back then. Even Purdue ... which was considered an offensively innovative team back then was still mostly a pro-style O implementing the west-coast offense. Let Ott have a healthy SR season ... even if he doesn't maintain that break-neck pace of production ... he's still the leader of the D and he's still likely getting 15+ TFLs and 10+ sacks ... an that is likely low-balling his production. Even as just a JR, he had 12 TFLs and 8 sacks.

Listing Ott as being among Iowa's best Ferentz era DEs is not a stretch at all ... and his production supports the claim too.

On the O-Line it's pretty tough, but I think Dace, Calloway, Bruggerman, and Seth Olsen at least deserve consideration instead of Welsh. Agree with Ghost on adding Walsh/Blythe to the mix to the last two spots since 8 of the 10 line spots should be close to locks.
Yeah ... given what Dace was able to do on a reconstructed in 2009 was impressive. He's probably a guy who deserves on the list too. Bruggs had one hell of a year at C in '08. Iowa's had some mighty fine centers in Nelson, Daniels, Blythe, and J. Ferentz. As good as Bruggs was ... he maybe nips James ... but I don't think he passes Blythe.

Seth Olsen was a great utility guy for the Hawks ... contributing solidly for the Hawks at both OT and OG. Welsh was similarly versatile ... but also brought a little bit more of an edge to the unit. However, I agree that Seth was a great Hawkeye ... but we're also talking about Iowa's OL ... there are a lot of really good candidates to choose from.

Haven't seen Pagel's name listed as a backup free safety, he was pretty solid. Think you have to have Spievey on there along with King and Jackson at corner. The 4th corner is tough since it's been so deep. I've seen Hyde and Johnson mentioned, I would add Godfrey and Fletcher to the mix. Fletcher had a really good senior year.
Pagel was solid ... but the bar is pretty high at Iowa for safety play ... Phil ensures that that is the case. If we're going for "solid" ... Jordan Bernstine was definitely "solid" in 2011. When healthy, Lomax was really solid in 2015. Godfrey was rough around the edges at cb initially (especially considering that because of need, he helped out at safety first) ... but he definitely put up a fine SR campaign in '07. Similarly, Fletcher was one of the first "proto-typical" long, athletic CBs who Parker had success developing. As much as fans cringed at Shada's play ... Fletcher wasn't any better in those earlier years. However, Fletcher definitely put up a master-piece in '08 ... really put together his whole game and showed terrific improvement. In fact, most of Iowa's early success with CBs ... those guys ended up switching over to safety in the NFL. Fletcher was the first CB we had who was able to "stick" in the NFL at the CB spot.

Again, I think the cool thing about the above observations is that I think that it also goes to show how Phil Parker, himself, has been improving as a coach too. He initially seemed to have the most luck developing safeties ... but now he's had an incredibly impressive run at developing CBs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT