ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Ryan

According to the crash report, Ryan swerved into the right shoulder of Highway 270, west of Interstate 71 at 5:53 Tuesday morning. Ryan struck the rear of a parked semi-trailer truck, and his vehicle pushed the trailer back into the right lane. Both Ryan's front airbags deployed. He was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the accident, which closed the roadway for 90 minutes.

Ryan was cited for failure to control, a minor misdemeanor.

Reactions: TarpHawk
So sorry to hear this, praying for family, and for the strength to carry-on. Many on this board will recall the Ryan family losing their son Teague to a tragic cardiovascular accident while Tom was the Head Coach of the Hofstra University wrestling team.

The thoughts of the University of Iowa family are with former hawkeye Tom Ryan and his wonderful family. And prayers for the OSU community.

Can Iowa put in a couple skylights in their new facility? That would be cool!!
They could add skylights, but the room also has exposed vertical walls on south and east sides where traditional windows could have been added extremely easily. They could add them in anytime but would have to restructure the new openings and remove cladding and modify/replace to accommodate the windows.

If windows were incorporated in the design at the beginning, they would have been extremely easy to accommodate (and standard practice) and not required inflating the budget at all.

I would honestly like to hear the reason why windows were omitted when they could have been so easily made a part of the design. This seems like one of those opportunities missed where decision makers made a call and either didn’t bother to gather input from all interested parties or stubbornly thought they knew best when I would think the vast majority would view natural daylight as a net positive and seen as standard in other teams’ newer facilities. With window coatings and coverings available, there would have been absolutely zero negatives in my opinion and would have alleviated the disappointment of many and gone a long way to capitalize and leverage this incredible opportunity to the max.

They could add skylights, but the room also has exposed vertical walls on south and east sides where traditional windows could have been added extremely easily. They could add them in anytime but would have to restructure the new openings and remove cladding and modify/replace to accommodate the windows.

If windows were incorporated in the design at the beginning, they would have been extremely easy to accommodate (and standard practice) and not required inflating the budget at all.

I would honestly like to hear the reason why windows were omitted when they could have been so easily made a part of the design. This seems like one of those opportunities missed where decision makers made a call and either didn’t bother to gather input from all interested parties or stubbornly thought they knew best when I would think the vast majority would view natural daylight as a net positive and seen as standard in other teams’ newer facilities. With window coatings and coverings available, there would have been absolutely zero negatives in my opinion and would have alleviated the disappointment of many and gone a long way to capitalize and leverage this incredible opportunity to the max.
Window Oops GIF by MOODMAN

I believe I read somewhere that the chief architect took exception to the inclusion of windows, because they would not be in keeping with the overall dungeon esthetic of his design concept.
Knowing the architecture firm on the project, they traditionally love glass and windows and natural daylight so I am guessing they at least proposed or advocated for their inclusion. That said, I don't believe there are any staff at the firm that wrestled and spent substantial time grinding away and cutting weight in such an environment or spent time in other facilities that had natural daylight to live firsthand the vast difference in quality of space and feel between different rooms.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a little machismo and reluctance to incorporate these types of design elements in the space that are more for the “softies” or athletes not from the “our type who want to be here” mold that are fine practicing in any space. That mentality may have been acceptable in the past, but today it is clear there is an arms race in facilities and as many boxes need to be checked to appeal to a wide range of athletes who may have a better experience and impression of a school that takes human experience and documented and proven benefits of natural daylight into account.

The new facility otherwise looks great, and not to belabor over one element, but just getting a little frustrated with the trend of almost getting things right but a few obvious missteps or lack of planning being difference between champs and back with the pack.

If we are to regain position at the top of the mountain, these obvious omissions can’t happen. Penn State is getting about everything right at this point and has so many inherent advantages that it places even more importance that Iowa has to maximize and leverage every single thing they can.

I believe I read somewhere that the chief architect took exception to the inclusion of windows, because they would not be in keeping with the overall dungeon esthetic of his design concept.
Isn’t the wrestling room below ground level? I’ve seen the request for windows thing as more of a joke due to that fact….

Knowing the architecture firm on the project, they traditionally love glass and windows and natural daylight so I am guessing they at least proposed or advocated for their inclusion. That said, I don't believe there are any staff at the firm that wrestled and spent substantial time grinding away and cutting weight in such an environment or spent time in other facilities that had natural daylight to live firsthand the vast difference in quality of space and feel between different rooms.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a little machismo and reluctance to incorporate these types of design elements in the space that are more for the “softies” or athletes not from the “our type who want to be here” mold that are fine practicing in any space. That mentality may have been acceptable in the past, but today it is clear there is an arms race in facilities and as many boxes need to be checked to appeal to a wide range of athletes who may have a better experience and impression of a school that takes human experience and documented and proven benefits of natural daylight into account.

The new facility otherwise looks great, and not to belabor over one element, but just getting a little frustrated with the trend of almost getting things right but a few obvious missteps or lack of planning being difference between champs and back with the pack.

If we are to regain position at the top of the mountain, these obvious omissions can’t happen. Penn State is getting about everything right at this point and has so many inherent advantages that it places even more importance that Iowa has to maximize and leverage every single thing they can.
Most of Carver is underground, so I guess they wanted to stay with this theme. Also, the bare concrete walls/floors has been an interior design thing in many campus buildings for decades

Reactions: el dub
According to the crash report, Ryan swerved into the right shoulder of Highway 270, west of Interstate 71 at 5:53 Tuesday morning. Ryan struck the rear of a parked semi-trailer truck, and his vehicle pushed the trailer back into the right lane. Both Ryan's front airbags deployed. He was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the accident, which closed the roadway for 90 minutes.

Ryan was cited for failure to control, a minor misdemeanor.

He's lucky to be alive.

I lost a friend of mine 6 months ago in a similar accident.

He rear-ended a disabled semi trailer on an off ramp. Him and 3 of his children were killed. Horrible.

Glad to hear Tom is expected to make a full recovery.

Isn’t the wrestling room below ground level? I’ve seen the request for windows thing as more of a joke due to that fact….
Finish floor elevation of the wrestling room is below grade but the walls on the East and South extend up above grade where windows could have been incorporated.

Reactions: el dub
“i’m not here to belabor the windows, but here is a 10,000 word essay on the subject.”

we can’t even have a thread about tom ryan recovering from a serious car accident without this nonsense
I was simply replying to another poster who even in a simple photo of Tom Ryan and team mentioned the very obvious and noticeable inclusion of natural daylight in the Ohio State room which differs greatly from the look and feel of the new Iowa room.

That team also happens to be one we are competing against for top recruits and losing head to head battles to (Sasso, Mendez, Gallagher, Bouzakis, etc) and with the intention of the new facility being one measure to make Iowa more competitive, this one particular area seems like a missed opportunity with the new Iowa facility and in stark contrast to our competition who has a natural light filled space that people do notice and does matter to some.

My response was 287 words, not 10,000 but point noted, and you are correct, probably not the best thread for this particular discourse. With that, I do wish Coach Ryan the very best in his recovery and am glad to hear he is alive and doing well and meant no disrespect.

Judas priest are we doing this again? Those that care about no windows need to find something else to be petty about, like why Spencer again failed to score many points in the second period this past weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT