ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Why Caitlin Clark should take a heel-turn and embrace the hate

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by:Tory Brecht

I have thus far refrained from writing about Caitlin Clark not because I dislike women’s college basketball – on the contrary, I am among the thousands (millions?) that view any Iowa game featuring the super-senior as appointment television.

Rather, it is a writer’s fear of repetition and cliché. Every superlative adjective has already been heaped upon the star: amazing, outstanding, tremendous, fantastic, unbelievable,phenomenal generational, GOAT. My lexicon is devoid of any fresh or new praise. Frankly, writing about how great Clark is at this point feels derivative.

Something new and interesting is happening now, however: the inevitable backlash and pushback against a superstar that until now has received near-universal praise. Similar to the emotionally fragile and hilarious dislike of Taylor Swift by the neckbeard portion of the NFL fanbase, criticism of Clark is heating up.

Whether it’s rhinestone cowgirl Kim Mulkey’s passive aggressive dig about shot volume, fragile Dawn Staley’s whining about officiating after a clear Clark game winner or the Runza-addled denizens of Lincoln complaining about a post-game flop in a crowd rush event their team wasn’t involved in, the nattering nabobs of negativity have their sights set on the Hawkeye hoops prodigy.

Iowa fans have reacted to these provocations with fierce defense and unfeigned outrage. How dare they!? Don’t they realize Clark is expanding the exposure of the women’s game unlike any other? Do they not see the thousands of little boys and girls lining up for autographs, which she unfailingly and cheerfully accommodates? Do they not appreciate their typically moribund arenas selling out when the Caitlin show comes to town?

Iowa fans are right, of course. Clark is great box office and fantastic for the sport. She should be celebrated.

That said, I kind of want to see her embrace the hate and take a full heel-turn.

She already has the patented MJ shrug. She is not shy about letting officials know when they screw up. I say ramp up the bad guy antics! Not in a Bill Laimbeer oafish and obnoxious way, but more of an Allen Iverson zero-effs given, “it ain’t braggin’ if you back it up” way.

The women’s game feels like it’s entering a bit of a Golden Age and I think that has lots to do with big personalities and the fact those big personalities stick around for four or more years. Whereas modern men’s college basketball is more mercenary, familiar (and vexing) faces stick around longer in the women’s game, making for compelling match-ups.

Who doesn’t want to see Caitlin versus Angel Reese Part II? Will Iowa and Clark get a shot at Paige Bueckers and UCONN, pitting the alleged two best players in the sport head-to-head? Could freshman phenom Hannah Hidalgo from Notre Dame upstage the Iowa star if they face off? All of these are juicy storylines more interesting than whether Kentucky’s latest crop of one-and-doners or Kansas’ assemblage of well-paid recruits will prevail in the men’s tournament.

Clark has a big personality and has proven well-equipped at handling the giant target fixed on her back every time she steps on the court. Sure, universal praise feels good – but I have to think the hyper-competitive part of her also relishes squashing dreams and shutting the haters up in their seats.

For decades, Iowa’s wrestling team was feared and loathed for its aggressive edge and relentlessness. They leaned into the black hat role and played it to perfection (and multiple national titles.) I would love to see Clark bring that Gable-inspired attitude back to Carver.

To be loved is nice. To be feared is the highest praise possible.

Iowa fans have reacted to these provocations with fierce defense and unfeigned outrage. How dare they!? Don’t they realize Clark is expanding the exposure of the women’s game unlike any other? Do they not see the thousands of little boys and girls lining up for autographs, which she unfailingly and cheerfully accommodates? Do they not appreciate their typically moribund arenas selling out when the Caitlin show comes to town?

That's because Iowans want something to be proud of. They yearn for those good old polite, helpful, good old days.

To a lesser extent see AJ Ferrari. Let me preface by saying he's a huge piece of shit. People were ready to give him a chance, but the second he flipped off the crowd and did his heel turn, the whole state hated him. Iowans want a role model. They want to look back on CC like they do Garza or Chris Street. They don't want to look back and be like "yeah, she was good, but she was an asshole."

I don't know, I like how she just keeps showing up her critics on the floor. There's no need for her to do it in other ways and given the amount of money she stands to make through endorsements, embracing the villain role is extremely risky. I say let them whine and let them continue to be embarrassed by her every time she takes the floor. One thing she doesn't do is show mercy out on the court and I think that is the most effective approach.

I don't know, I like how she just keeps showing up her critics on the floor. There's no need for her to do it in other ways and given the amount of money she stands to make through endorsements, embracing the villain role is extremely risky. I say let them whine and let them continue to be embarrassed by her every time she takes the floor. One thing she doesn't do is show mercy out on the court and I think that is the most effective approach.
Exactly. CC can be fierce and unapologetic without being a heel.

That's because Iowans want something to be proud of. They yearn for those good old polite, helpful, good old days.

To a lesser extent see AJ Ferrari. Let me preface by saying he's a huge piece of shit. People were ready to give him a chance, but the second he flipped off the crowd and did his heel turn, the whole state hated him. Iowans want a role model. They want to look back on CC like they do Garza or Chris Street. They don't want to look back and be like "yeah, she was good, but she was an asshole."
Agree, and that's why I specified she should lean in only to a certain extent and not go full-baddie.

I do like the idea of embracing the Dan Gable-era wrestling approach - cocky and nasty, but within the bounds of the rules and decorum.

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
X6Wg7d.gif

Agree, and that's why I specified she should lean in only to a certain extent and not go full-baddie.

I do like the idea of embracing the Dan Gable-era wrestling approach - cocky and nasty, but within the bounds of the rules and decorum.
tbh, she kind of does though. deep ass 3s, gestures after scoring, hard pushoffs. She plays pretty fast and aggressive.

This makes more sense. People respect being ruthless on the floor, but then not overstating it off the floor.

What impresses me about Caitlin Clark is that she is a super
class act. On the basketball court her scoring as well as her
rebounding and assists make Clark a triple threat every game.
She is doing a wonderful job as the greatest woman Hawkeye.
I would not change a thing about her. Enjoy Clark as she is.

I see sweet young girls and their mothers traveling four hours to see Caitlin in the flesh.

Fans, young and old, of opposing teams wearing the Black and Gold emblazoned with "22."

Adoring grandmothers glowing for Catlin while wistfully reminiscing of days past and a different era.

Unprecedented.

Caitlin is an Iowa original. I think I'm just gonna embrace that.

As my 83 year old mom in AZ says at least once a week on one of our calls, "As far as I know, Caitlin hasn't raped anyone, isn't getting arrested for being drunk, isn't getting caught with drugs, isn't robbing anyone. At least I haven't ever heard anything bad, if she is I hope I don't find out."

Tuesdays with Torbee​

I have thus far refrained from writing about Caitlin Clark not because I dislike women’s college basketball – on the contrary, I am among the thousands (millions?) that view any Iowa game featuring the super-senior as appointment television.

Rather, it is a writer’s fear of repetition and cliché. Every superlative adjective has already been heaped upon the star: amazing, outstanding, tremendous, fantastic, unbelievable,phenomenal generational, GOAT. My lexicon is devoid of any fresh or new praise. Frankly, writing about how great Clark is at this point feels derivative.

Something new and interesting is happening now, however: the inevitable backlash and pushback against a superstar that until now has received near-universal praise. Similar to the emotionally fragile and hilarious dislike of Taylor Swift by the neckbeard portion of the NFL fanbase, criticism of Clark is heating up.

Whether it’s rhinestone cowgirl Kim Mulkey’s passive aggressive dig about shot volume, fragile Dawn Staley’s whining about officiating after a clear Clark game winner or the Runza-addled denizens of Lincoln complaining about a post-game flop in a crowd rush event their team wasn’t involved in, the nattering nabobs of negativity have their sights set on the Hawkeye hoops prodigy.

Iowa fans are right, of course. Clark is great box office and fantastic for the sport. She should be celebrated.

That said, I kind of want to see her embrace the hate and take a full heel-turn.

She already has the patented MJ shrug. She is not shy about letting officials know when they screw up. I say ramp up the bad guy antics! Not in a Bill Laimbeer oafish and obnoxious way, but more of an Allen Iverson zero-effs given, “it ain’t braggin’ if you back it up” way.

The women’s game feels like it’s entering a bit of a Golden Age and I think that has lots to do with big personalities and the fact those big personalities stick around for four or more years. Whereas modern men’s college basketball is more mercenary, familiar (and vexing) faces stick around longer in the women’s game, making for compelling match-ups.

Who doesn’t want to see Caitlin versus Angel Reese Part II? Will Iowa and Clark get a shot at Paige Bueckers and UCONN, pitting the alleged two best players in the sport head-to-head? Could freshman phenom Hannah Hidalgo from Notre Dame upstage the Iowa star if they face off? All of these are juicy storylines more interesting than whether Kentucky’s latest crop of one-and-doners or Kansas’ assemblage of well-paid recruits will prevail in the men’s tournament.

Clark has a big personality and has proven well-equipped at handling the giant target fixed on her back every time she steps on the court. Sure, universal praise feels good – but I have to think the hyper-competitive part of her also relishes squashing dreams and shutting the haters up in their seats.

For decades, Iowa’s wrestling team was feared and loathed for its aggressive edge and relentlessness. They leaned into the black hat role and played it to perfection (and multiple national titles.) I would love to see Clark bring that Gable-inspired attitude back to Carver.

l'm blasting this out on facebook.

Great article Torbee. You are a very talented writer.

Sure... But Iowa is also desperate for national attention and to be the best in anything.

Easy to see why the have gone team red in recent years

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Good point about the Women's game. There could be no Caitlin Clark anymore in men's college basketball. How much more exciting would the men's game be if all the talent that's funneling into the NBA has to stay in college for 4 years?

When CC hits a 3-pointer, can we call it a "Threesome"?

"Another Threesome by Caitlin Clark!! Assist, Stulke!!!"
🤔

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Being the best shooter the sport has ever seen doesn't mean she don't have some pretty impressive flops.

It took some adjusting to see an Iowa baskethooper get the calls. Minus that disaster of a reffing group in the title game.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT