ADVERTISEMENT

TWO Quarterbacks?

Saved his redshirt though.

Ron Swanson Dancing GIF
What's the upside if you never use him?

Maybe Kirk knows if his team commits to a qb sneak, the defense would overwhelm a poor offensive line? Lots of success with sneaks came from running behind an all American center...Linderbaum isn't available now.

Reactions: rolfey and ichawk24
He actually wasn't very good at sneaks.
No Nate Stanley. Or Petras
That’s the point; improve the fatass’ ability to run a sneak! Iowas blocking was so bad the sneak should have been our most frequently run play all year!

Maybe Kirk knows if his team commits to a qb sneak, the defense would overwhelm a poor offensive line? Lots of success with sneaks came from running behind an all American center...Linderbaum isn't available now.
Nah, at 250 lbs Hill and an RB shoving him should get 2-3 yards per try just because of momentum and gravity!

If nothing else, I hope our new OC, whomever he may be, considers adding some packages for Lainez as a zone-read or RPO option. He may not be a crisp passer (yet) but his legs are an absolute threat, especially if there’s a simple route tree for him to have the option to pass too. Don’t overcomplicate it - I’m talking one, maybe two receivers in the route max.
Kirk has mute ears to anything that is risky so RPO, Spread is not likely going to happen. As much as we all would like to see the offense evolve he will stick to what he thinks is going to win games which is he will cite as his success over 25 years. He will say it's not what you do it's how you do it. He will take that to the Hereafter!

One of us is looking at a big ole WOB.
Kirk has mute ears to anything that is risky so RPO, Spread is not likely going to happen. As much as we all would like to see the offense evolve he will stick to what he thinks is going to win games which is he will cite as his success over 25 years. He will say it's not what you do it's how you do it. He will take that to the Hereafter!
Iowa doesn't need the spread. We need:
1. to stop playing 8 on 11. We don't have a qb that is a threat to run, that takes a lot of stress off a defense. It is not great surprise, other that to kirk and brian, that Iowa's best season's are generally with a qb that picks up extra first downs with their legs. We also don't use the rb as a receiver. You wonder why the oline can't block, it has nothing to do with talent or the oline coach, there are just too many people to block. No receiver is a deep threat. A defense playing a predictable offense with all those hadicaps is going to win.
2. let the qb run. That alone will change our offense. three step drop, hitch.. hitch, then you either run or throw. No longer.
3. Be like michigan and stanford under harbaugh. Play 6,7,8 olineman and multiple TE's at the same time. Unbalance the line, cover people up, Michigan plays low risk high reward.

Ok. I'll bite. What makes RPO or Spread so risky as opposed to dropping straight back and getting stripped and throwing interceptions?

If nothing else, I hope our new OC, whomever he may be, considers adding some packages for Lainez as a zone-read or RPO option. He may not be a crisp passer (yet) but his legs are an absolute threat, especially if there’s a simple route tree for him to have the option to pass too. Don’t overcomplicate it - I’m talking one, maybe two receivers in the route max.
Come on. Why would you want to adjust what you're doing to the personnel's strengths? The only way to make the offense better is to do more of the same. Square pegs fit in round holes if you hammer them hard enough.

Switching off sarcasm, of course just about any other HC and OC would have made significant adjustments in what they were running. Lainez would have been playing with a simplified playbook and he would have run the ball multiple times a game. But we all knew that was never going to happen. And until I see an OC brought in who gets out from under Kirk's thumb when it comes to offensive dysfunction I'm going to expect more of the same.

Unfortunately one of the things he forgot is how much success we had with Brad Banks. I really hope he stays as far away from the offense as possible. Every time KF walks over in practice to work with the offense I hope he sticks to working with the OL. Use his vast knowledge to make the OL better...he has gotten away from his roots and it has led to his recent lack of effectiveness on O.
He didn't forget. He just didn't want to use him or anything like him again. Why? I don't think anyone could see the field better than Banks could.

Ok. I'll bite. What makes RPO or Spread so risky as opposed to dropping straight back and getting stripped and throwing interceptions?
The clock. Kirk prizes clock management (except at the end of games).
Our defense would not be the defense it is if we had a longer game or a game with more plays. That’s the risk.

KF has forgotten more football than many of us will know, but he lacks any common sense when it comes to coping with offensive inadequacies and making adjustments. There is just zero reason we shouldn’t have either had Lainez coming into games and running read option or considering we have several good backs, using one of them in that role. Makes absolutely no sense.
KF doesn't lack common sense. He's stubborn. You have to admit that prior to BF downtrend, when opponents are Ferentzed, it's a think of beauty. My guess he actually thought Bri Bri was going to take Iowa to nirvana. Hi tide was against OSU, but the tsunami of bri bri took all the water away from the beach the next week....66 yards.

You know what they say....2 Quarterbacks = 2 sexy. But apparently it's ok for a JV team like Michigan to try a little backyard football and try a wrinkle (even though their starting QB is a stud and doing just fine).

I mean if Kirk just quit acting like a rocket scientist and just had some damn fun he could have thrown our running QB in for a few series this season when absolutely nothing else was working.

Like 2001 team 🤔 I heard a member of that staff may be coming back in 2024.

On Iowa 🖤💛

The clock. Kirk prizes clock management (except at the end of games).
Our defense would not be the defense it is if we had a longer game or a game with more plays. That’s the risk.
What does either one of these (RPO or spread) have to do with pace?

What does either one of these (RPO or spread) have to do with pace?
Well, you keep clock management really simple if you run 3 times and punt for most of your series. That would be the ultimate KF clock management and predictable pace offense. Snap the ball with 2-5 seconds on the play clock each time and, barring fumbles, you could have your TOP projection per offensive series down to a few seconds.

Reactions: HawknBadgerLand
Nothing unless you complete 65-70% of passes. Thats not easy all season let alone late in the season. We don’t have the dudes at specialty positions. Could we get there, maybe in 3-5 years.
2 Things:

1) You can run just as often out of either one of these.

2) There is nothing time consuming or complementary about having 40% of your drives go 3 and out.

2 Things:

1) You can run just as often out of either one of these.

2) There is nothing time consuming or complementary about having 40% of your drives go 3 and out.y
I hear what you are saying but Iowas games are typically some of the lowest # of plays out there. More throws equals more plays.
It will come back to the players Iowa can recruit. Iowa can get lineman and te’s.
It doesn’t matter if you are in spread or under center if you aren’t willing to let your qb run and throw balls to your rb’s the offense don’t matter you are playing 8/9 on 11.

Reactions: HawknBadgerLand
Going to need the etymology of the word.
Manilla described the paper made with origins in the Philippines. A yellow brown paper: having color hence not plain. Vanilla generally means white, lacking color, or plain.
Not sure where you see or Manilla =plain vs vanilla.

Those two bastards wtih Manilla Vanilla never should have lip synced. I'll never get the money back that I spent on that cassingle.

We haven't had confidence in the inside 3 to block the sneak since Linderbaum left. Even his last year was suspect with the guards.

We haven't had confidence in the inside 3 to block the sneak since Linderbaum left. Even his last year was suspect with the guards.
Because we’ve gone stone cold stupid.
Don’t go quick/silent
Don’t bring in extra lineman
Don’t go unbalanced
And most importantly don’t throw out of those once in awhile to keep people honest.

I mean the level of incompetence on display by Brian is honestly like a bad 1a high school level of play calling and imagination.
I can’t say enough to explain just how bad he was.

Reactions: ichawk24
Unfortunately one of the things he forgot is how much success we had with Brad Banks.

Brad Banks was an accident, not sure why people don't understand that,.. The Iowa coaching staff didn't create him, didn't like the way he played the game, and was happy to return to normalcy when he left...

Brad Banks was an accident, not sure why people don't understand that,.. The Iowa coaching staff didn't create him, didn't like the way he played the game, and was happy to return to normalcy when he left...
I think most everyone understands the coaching staff didn't prefer a QB like Brad. The difficult part to understand is how can they be so stubborn and not realize success with mobile quarterbacks is not a fad. It seems eerily similar to the people who held out for so long saying the internet was a fad. The difference is most thinking that way eventually came around when they opened their eyes and realized the internet could make certain things easier.

I think most everyone understands the coaching staff didn't prefer a QB like Brad. The difficult part to understand is how can they be so stubborn and not realize success with mobile quarterbacks is not a fad. It seems eerily similar to the people who held out for so long saying the internet was a fad. The difference is most thinking that way eventually came around when they opened their eyes and realized the internet could make certain things easier.
Interestingly enough, we actually didn't have a lot of other options besides Banks in 2002. The other QBs on the roster included Nathan Chandler, who was in his first year after coming in from a Juco, as well as true freshmen Jason Manson, Cy Phillips, and Clinton Solomon, and redshirt freshman Matt Bohnet. We also had David Raih, a junior, but he was injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT