ADVERTISEMENT

U23s

How bout also on his 2 failed trips at the NCAA tournament? Is that enough?

A true freshman making R12 is a failure. Ok.

People really have their panties in a wad over freestyle. I like freestyle but stop pretending it's the same thing as folk. The best part of off-season events is the training and simply participation. Winning the tournament is nice but it takes a back seat, IMHO.

Lugu lost by TF. I'm sure crablegs will be back to talk some shit

Well if you can't beat Berger who has AA 2X at 157, how in the hell do you expect to AA at 149? That match, more so than most exposed some of Lugo's weaknesses. Longer guys have to wrestle him arms posted out, keeping him outside...than take low, outside shots. Same thing guys do to Bannister. Lugo is going to have to be more dynamic, hand fighting and getting inside those arms.

You still here FF?
Have no idea who FF is. But sir, no, sir
four-midgets-work-at-a-gas-station-on-december-21-2006-in-zhengzhou-picture-id72868155

People really have their panties in a wad over freestyle. I like freestyle but stop pretending it's the same thing as folk. The best part of off-season events is the training and simply participation. Winning the tournament is nice but it takes a back seat, IMHO.

It's a somewhat good gauge but if being elite at freestyle was the rule, Mitch McKee would be a two time AA/national champ. Spooner is correct...Joe Smith lost to Kimball Bastian and there were a few other head scratchers as well. I guess I am betting on Lugo being in the room for a year and a half once the season starts. He made some nice adjustments with Bannister and won 5th.

How was sophomore year?

I pick Lugo to AA next year, but lots of people on this board have him being a very high AA/title contender. I’m not there yet.

How was sophomore year?

I pick Lugo to AA next year, but lots of people on this board have him being a very high AA/title contender. I’m not there yet.

We are at the same place? I don't know if anybody (except a few) has him as a surefire finalist but like the odds for him to do well because an already weak 149 has cleared out. You reposted me calling him slick as if to say he is meh...I will be happy if he AAs and ecstatic if he finishes top 4. Better?

Deakin put a beating on Hidlay. That's got to put a smile on wrestlecat's face.
He's the real deal. Between injuries and drawing Sorensen in the R12 he ended up being one of the better kids to not AA last year. Wouldn't be surprised if he was in the finals against Nolf this year at 157.

It's a somewhat good gauge but if being elite at freestyle was the rule, Mitch McKee would be a two time AA/national champ. Spooner is correct...Joe Smith lost to Kimball Bastian and there were a few other head scratchers as well. I guess I am betting on Lugo being in the room for a year and a half once the season starts. He made some nice adjustments with Bannister and won 5th.
You would be just as well off posting results of how these guys fared against each other playing ping-pong. The results translate to Folkstyle about the same.

Glad the boys keep busy doing some sort of wrestling, but if they all finished last it wouldn't mean jack come November.

We are at the same place? I don't know if anybody (except a few) has him as a surefire finalist but like the odds for him to do well because an already weak 149 has cleared out. You reposted me calling him slick as if to say he is meh...I will be happy if he AAs and ecstatic if he finishes top 4. Better?

It seems I’m higher on Lugo than most. I look at some of his wins and think ( Sorensen and fall over Kolodzik) his ceiling is very high. He’s not going to regress in the Iowa room. A loss to Tyler Berger ( who finished 3rd at NCAAs at 157) doesn’t make me doubt his likelihood to land high on the podium at 149 next season. He’s a stud and we’re lucky to have him.

You would be just as well off posting results of how these guys fared against each other playing ping-pong. The results translate to Folkstyle about the same.

Glad the boys keep busy doing some sort of wrestling, but if they all finished last it wouldn't mean jack come November.[/QUOTE

Case in point Kolin Moore just annihilated Kyle Conel in the finals. Conel hammered Moore 2Xs at NCAAs last season

Glad the boys keep busy doing some sort of wrestling, but if they all finished last it wouldn't mean jack come November.

I like you bro and I know you don't like freestyle much but this is venturing into crazyland...Scoring is different and par terre but neutral is pretty much the same. Marinelli never wrestled freestyle until last year at Junior World trials...He got to the best 2 of 3 against Hall. Turns out, if you are good at taking guys down in folk, you probably will do well in free. if your last statement is true, why wrestle at all and risk injury?

When he had a good win against a solid opponent you posted “that’s why people are so high on him.” He lost to another solid opponent, and I thought I’d mention why some people are still unsure where he will end up. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far
Young got impatient with Monday doing nothing but blocking off and got tossed, but came back and dominated him! That's what I'm freaking talking about! Guys like Monday can't hang when he stays on his offense. Good Tournament for Young.

Did Young throw Monday as well? I missed that one.

It seems I’m higher on Lugo than most. I look at some of his wins and think ( Sorensen and fall over Kolodzik) his ceiling is very high. He’s not going to regress in the Iowa room. A loss to Tyler Berger ( who finished 3rd at NCAAs at 157) doesn’t make me doubt his likelihood to land high on the podium at 149 next season. He’s a stud and we’re lucky to have him.
I’m with you on Lugo. I look at the returning guys at 149 (assuming Deakin moves up) and think he’s right there at the top of the list. Not sure if some 141 will move up? But who’s out there that is heavily favored over him?

How was sophomore year?

So is a true freshman getting to the round of 12 a failure. Yes or no. Simple question.

I like you bro and I know you don't like freestyle much but this is venturing into crazyland...Scoring is different and par terre but neutral is pretty much the same. Marinelli never wrestled freestyle until last year at Junior World trials...He got to the best 2 of 3 against Hall. Turns out, if you are good at taking guys down in folk, you probably will do well in free. if your last statement is true, why wrestle at all and risk injury?

His ping pong comment was an exaggeration but it was spot on from the standpoint of balance from those who appear to take FS results as being basically equal to folk. Freestyle results are an indicator. No more. No less.

Agreed, and the loss to Berger is basically irrelevant, considering that he'll almost certainly never wrestle him in NCAA competition.

Reactions: 24 so far
No, I think he will too. I’d peg him as 5-8, but he’s one of those guys with the talent to be a finalist and the inconsistency to get knocked out in R12.

Sure covering your bases with that prediction aren't you. So you have him placing anywhere from 1st to not AAing. Quite the limb you've gone out on. You'd make a good sports analyst. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
His ping pong comment was an exaggeration but it was spot on from the standpoint of balance from those who appear to take FS results as being basically equal to folk. Freestyle results are an indicator. No more. No less.

It’s a hell of an indicator. I don’t put much salt in a 10-0 TD to lace tech but if one guy is clearly better in neutral...than yes, it relates big time. For example, RBY was a 4 timer in Ariz. most of us would not have heard of him if he didn’t wrestle freestyle. TnT and Cael would beg to differ since they are recruiting high level freestyle guys.

One tourney in June doesn’t make or break my opinion of a guy but if Lugo had went 0-2, I would have definitely have some questions.

don't know why all the arguing iowa has 10 aa, 6 finalist, 4 champs and dam me for thinking it. crabs = dumb a.....

Reactions: Dagboi
It’s a hell of an indicator. I don’t put much salt in a 10-0 TD to lace tech but if one guy is clearly better in neutral...than yes, it relates big time. For example, RBY was a 4 timer in Ariz. most of us would not have heard of him if he didn’t wrestle freestyle. TnT and Cael would beg to differ since they are recruiting high level freestyle guys.

One tourney in June doesn’t make or break my opinion of a guy but if Lugo had went 0-2, I would have definitely have some questions.

What are they begging to differ about?

And after the loss to Bannister you can see why some people are reluctant to pen him in as a sure fire high AA. Has the talent for sure, but the jury is still out if he can get it done.

Bannister is good. He had Sorensen on the ropes in a match last year.

What are they begging to differ about?

That elite wrestlers are largely recruited because of their freestyle results...you might not but coaches put great value on them. Beating guys in your own state is good but beating the best guys from other states at UWW or Fargo is even better. If off season folkstyle tournaments were the measuring stick, than they would be loaded with talent...which they're not.

That elite wrestlers are largely recruited because of their freestyle results...you might not but coaches put great value on them. Beating guys in your own state is good but beating the best guys from other states at UWW or Fargo is even better. If off season folkstyle tournaments were the measuring stick, than they would be loaded with talent...which they're not.

Boy, I beg to differ. Being a good freestyler and a good folk styler generally goes hand in hand and vice versa. No doubt--thats why the results have some correlation. But I don't think great freestylers are specifically targeted for collegiate programs. Not if they aren't great folkstylers as well. If it were so, a kid like Hunter Dejong wouldn't basically be walking on at ISU.

Am I the only guy that’s not happy with these results? I can’t wait until Spencer is back because I’m not into “placing.”

Reactions: FLhawkFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT