ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA/USC to B1G?!?!?!

Warren’s gotta be just strutting around his office on the Bluetooth, pantsless, absolutely swingin’ that thang around rn.
Screen-Shot-2022-06-30-at-7.27.01-PM.png

If there are 20 teams spread all over the country from NJ to SoCal what would divisions look like? If every team has to play every other team in their division then 4 divisions of 5 teams? It seems likely that Iowa would match up with tosu or mich once a decade, maybe, in that scenario.
What about the conference championship? That's still going to be a thing because it's all about money and these moves are all about money. With 4 divisions there'd need to be a 4 team playoff for the title.
Basketball scheduling will be nuts. And the minor sports? I get that few care, but they all won't just disappear. There will still be competition schedules to figure out.
Great questions. I would imagine in fb it’s 4 divisions like you mention and a 4 team playoff which adds some pretty cool venues to the mix. The watch out is if you are in the BT playoff, play 12 reg season games, and play 2 playoff games then go to an 8 team national playoff….that’s a hell of a lot of football. Not sure what all this looks like.
At first I thought the same about basketball but with charter flights and playing 2 away games back to back in a tight geographical area I don’t think it’s too bad. I wouldn’t want to be the schedule makers though. That’s a bunch to sort through.

Back to the good old days of zero coverage. Can’t even get our spring game covered now without the extra high profiles.
Maybe thats because we don't actually HAVE a spring game unlike most of the schools? Seriously the amount of "Oh woa is us " on here is silly......Iowa will still get coverage when its warranted like we host OSU or PSU and kick their ass again.

One thing for sure, we’ve seen the last Iowa Classic game replay on Big Ten Network.
Bull. There will be Iowa classics. We just have to beat someone relevant. Beating Illinois isn't going to move the needle, but something like last years thriller against PSU would.....And NO we're never going to get the OSU treatment, so nothings changed. You might see that Iowa ass whooping of USC show up on there now with them coming into the league....

This. This. And this.

The suggestion that ADs are goingbto eschew injections of tens of millions of dollars in their budgets because they are afraid of disappointing football records seems … ummm … off.

There isn’t a single “power” program that doesnt believe that it cannot compete on the highest level.

It’s. A. Giant. Money. Grab.
Something else to consider. So we keep talking about these schools like USC and UCLA bringing the LA market, for the same reason we supposedly added Maryland and Rutgers to get the New York market. First off a lot of people in NY don't give a damn about Rutgers, same as alot of people in LA don't give a hoot about UCLA, just like alot of Chicago doesn't care about Illinois. Them just being in those markets doesn't guarantee viewership. A big part of the viewership will come from all the transported midwesterners on both coasts. Iowa is a good example. Their are lots of former Iowans on both coasts, just like there's a lot in KC. I'm sure there are a lot of Illinois, NW, and Indiana grads on the coasts as well. As you said the population is shifting a lot from the fly over states. Don't you think its a good idea for these networks to hold onto all those transplanted midwest folk many who are dying for more coverage of their teams, and that it would be a mistake to drop those schools and risk losing all those viewers who really DO care about their teams unlike many people on the coast who can't be bothered?
Frankly if this all does go to only the big dogs playing by themselves, it might be the best thing for Iowa because they'll have alot of company, and I think the networks will find that theres a BIG percentage of fans nationally who are not fans of the top half dozen schools.....

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
This is not going to happen. Travel expenses. Lack of butts in seats. Night games on the Pacific clock would start at midnight for Eastern TZ viewers. Poor viewership. Rivalries dissolved. The tailgating would be decimated. Vendors gone. Millions down the drain.

Terrible idea in so many ways.
I reiterate....it won't happen. Now I can be right or wrong twice.

Last edited:
Once again, you respond to a real world possibility with just a stupid insulting piece of snark. The guys above are speculating on a very unknowable future. They don't deserve your 13 y/o sarcasm. They're not "coping" they're engaged in reasonable and respectful discussion of the very strange new world of college professional athletics.

None of us know what the NIL and the realignment of teams into ever larger and top-heavy conferences will bring to every corner of the football table. There is a very realistic scenario in which Iowa, Minnesota, NW, Illinois, and Rutgers could readily be booted from the "Big 32" because the suits have developed a new economic model and institutional configuration that looks better without all or any of those schools. Do you think "league loyalty" would mean anything if the money was better? Such institutional loyalty as might exist would be readily displaced if the TV and streaming services want one or more schools gone.

I don't know how old you are or what you do for a living but if you haven't learned the real Golden Rule of Life, you should probably have a guardian. He who has the gold makes the rules. Just the known realignment possibilities put billions of dollars at play. What do you think would happen if the Big Ten could trade Utah USC, UCLA, Cal and Oregon for Iowa Minnesota, Illinois, Rutgers and Northwestern and makes another billion with a b for the rest of the Big Ten? Our asses would be out the door in a ****ing heartbeat is what would happen because money talks, bullshit walks and in the world of commerce everything but money is bullshit.

Putting Iowa in this group doesn't make any goddamn sense. Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Penn State are peers to Iowa and like Iowa they're going nowhere. Iowa is firmly a top 20 program, chicken little.

Of the schools you mention below, Iowa is a more valuable draw in football than all but USC out of that group.

Huh?

Iowa games are on BTN...they just had the 85 team on last night; why would that change?
It won't. If Iowa beats someone or puts plays an exciting game, (see PSU) last year it will still be on the classics, AND BIG football in 60 just like it is now. Now it may be on as filler at 2:30am or something, so just have the DVR ready and your good to go.......

Something else to consider. So we keep talking about these schools like USC and UCLA bringing the LA market, for the same reason we supposedly added Maryland and Rutgers to get the New York market. First off a lot of people in NY don't give a damn about Rutgers, same as alot of people in LA don't give a hoot about UCLA, just like alot of Chicago doesn't care about Illinois. Them just being in those markets doesn't guarantee viewership. A big part of the viewership will come from all the transported midwesterners on both coasts. Iowa is a good example. Their are lots of former Iowans on both coasts, just like there's a lot in KC. I'm sure there are a lot of Illinois, NW, and Indiana grads on the coasts as well. As you said the population is shifting a lot from the fly over states. Don't you think its a good idea for these networks to hold onto all those transplanted midwest folk many who are dying for more coverage of their teams, and that it would be a mistake to drop those schools and risk losing all those viewers who really DO care about their teams unlike many people on the coast who can't be bothered?
Frankly if this all does go to only the big dogs playing by themselves, it might be the best thing for Iowa because they'll have alot of company, and I think the networks will find that theres a BIG percentage of fans nationally who are not fans of the top half dozen schools.....
I trust someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the logic involved in adding Maryland and Rutgers was that by doing so, it provided leverage to have the cable/satellite providers include the BTN as part of the basic package in that part of the country. If you have (for instance) 4 million subscribers in New York paying a fee, it's irrelevant if the actual viewership is maybe three dozen. A whole bunch of Iowans are paying Direct TV to carry the BTN, for instance, yet never watch it and couldn't tell you what channel it is.

I trust someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the logic involved in adding Maryland and Rutgers was that by doing so, it provided leverage to have the cable/satellite providers include the BTN as part of the basic package in that part of the country. If you have (for instance) 4 million subscribers in New York paying a fee, it's irrelevant if the actual viewership is maybe three dozen. A whole bunch of Iowans are paying Direct TV to carry the BTN, for instance, yet never watch it and couldn't tell you what channel it is.
That sounds pretty accurate. The question then is will the LA hipsters pay to have the BTN or will it be the native midwesterners on the coasts who will gobble it up to get any view of BIG content. The same principle applies in my thoughts anyway....If those middle states were not at the party does that then effect viewership?

This move makes me wonder if Texas will be regretting their decision to go to the SEC. The SEC works great for them for athletics but the academic side of the university must be kicking themselves over a missed opportunity. Imagine if the next move after USC/UCLA was to pull in ND, Texas, Washington, and one more school like UNC/Virginia/Stanford/Oregon. (Oregon is the odd duck in that list as the only Big Ten school that is worse academically is Nebraska)

That would be a super conference that spans most of the country bringing in massive endowments.
ND $18BB
USC $8BB
UCLA $4.6BB
Texas - a large portion of the Texas-wide system’s $42BB
Washington $4BB

Stanford $37.8BB
Virginia $10.5BB
UNC $5BB
Oregon $750MM (like I said, the odd duck in the group)
Leave Oregon and their $750MM in the rain, and insert UC Berkeley $4.8BB

Please tell me you're not that naive. If you don't think those things are as important or more important to the B1G chancellors and presidents than sports, then you should not participate in any further discussion.
Yes which is why they are still part of what they called the CIC. Just not involved in sports. That is my whole point which you clearly can't understand.

Huh?

Iowa games are on BTN...they just had the 85 team on last night; why would that change?
There are only so many hours in the week. Gotta find room for USC games and a few
for UCLA. They ain’t cutting into Michigan’s, Penn State’s, or Ohio State’s air time.

There are only so many hours in the week. Gotta find room for USC games and a few
for UCLA. They ain’t cutting into Michigan’s, Penn State’s, or Ohio State’s air time.
On the plus side, considering the Nebraska precedent, all of a sudden the BiG has a lot more Heisman winners to brag about. You guys can claim OJ now.

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
That sounds pretty accurate. The question then is will the LA hipsters pay to have the BTN or will it be the native midwesterners on the coasts who will gobble it up to get any view of BIG content. The same principle applies in my thoughts anyway....If those middle states were not at the party does that then effect viewership?
They won't have a choice, which is the point....although for all I know, maybe the BTN is already part of the base package in LA.

Also, I don't know what effect the move to streaming has on all this.

To 20 - Oregon, Washington, Florida St, Clemson (Notre Dame will say no again this round)
To 24 - Stanford, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina (Notre Dame ready by this time)

Match that SEC

They won't have a choice, which is the point....although for all I know, maybe the BTN is already part of the base package in LA.
Also, I don't know what effect the move to streaming has on all this.

It’s more about brand now and going forward. With increased streaming, cable subscriptions will become less important.

Putting Iowa in this group doesn't make any goddamn sense. Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Penn State are peers to Iowa and like Iowa they're going nowhere. Iowa is firmly a top 20 program, chicken little.

Of the schools you mention below, Iowa is a more valuable draw in football than all but USC out of that group.
Right off the bat let me say I hope you are absolutely spot on.

The problem with your argument is reliance on the status quo. Unfortunately, the current status is not static. KF's retirement could be like Evy's and we enter two decades of bottom feeding. Even if Iowa is a top 20 program, and I'd say more like top 30, what happens if we become a bottom 30 program in the next ten years? Kirk won't be here in ten years hence. Where do we stand if the next coaching hire is catastrophic and Iowa is a bottom 20 program?

What if market forces significantly increase the cost of players? Iowa's inability to pay enough top flight players could so restrict our recruiting that we become a noncompetitive cellar dweller. Iowa is not a deep pocket program, relatively speaking.

We also don't know if the current evolution in "realignment" is done or anywhere close to being done. Economic history (e.g., various market reactions to exogenous forces) suggests the realignment is not done but that too is uncertain. Another variable and this one is entirely out of Iowa's control.

So your conclusion requires many things to play out in Iowa's favor. They may or may not, we simply do not know at this time.

The one constant is also something out of Iowa's control. The TV/streaming package money is the ultimate decision maker for the Big Ten. That will never change.

Let's drop Utah and add Washington and Stanford. The Big would dominate the Seattle, Portland, San Fran/Oakland/ Berkely market and the LA market. The Big Ten with a much larger media market with those schools that it loses by dropping the Twin Cities, Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois. NW has a small media footprint in Chicago-it's a Bears town. That's millions more possible viewers than are now available, although we'll get LA with USC/UCLA.

I am not saying the sky is falling. I am saying it might.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
Right off the bat let me say I hope you are absolutely spot on.

The problem with your argument is reliance on the status quo. Unfortunately, the current status is not static.
KF's retirement could be like Evy's and we enter two decades of bottom feeding. Even if Iowa is a top 20 program, and I'd say more like top 30, what happens if we become a bottom 30 program in the next ten years? Kirk won't be around in ten years. Kirk won't be here in ten years hence. Where do we stand if the next coaching hire is catastrophic and Iowa is a bottom 20 program?

What if market forces significantly increase the cost of players? Iowa's inability to pay enough top flight players could so restrict our recruiting that we become a noncompetitive cellar dweller. Iowa is not a deep pocket program, relatively speaking.

We also don't know if the current evolution in "realignment" is done or anywhere close to being done. Economic history (e.g., various market reactions to exogenous forces) suggests the realignment is not done but that too is uncertain. Another variable and this one is entirely out of Iowa's control.

So your conclusion requires many things to play out in Iowa's favor. They may or may not, we simply do not know at this time.

The one constant is also something out of Iowa's control. The TV/streaming package money is the ultimate decision maker for the Big Ten. That will never change.

Let's drop Utah and add Washington and Stanford. The Big would dominate the Seattle, Portland, San Fran/Oakland/ Berkely market and the LA market. The Big Ten with a much larger media market with those schools that it loses by dropping the Twin Cities, Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois. NW has a small media footprint in Chicago-it's a Bears town. That's millions more possible viewers than are now available, although we'll get LA with USC/UCLA.

I am not saying the sky is falling. I am saying it might.

Hmmm. Hayden left and we got Kirk. But yeah let’s look at shit all pessimistic worst case scenario like.

Conferences are like countries.
Those with a strong middle class are much more stable.
Iowa is firmly middle class.
In 2012 did we get laid off? In 2015 did we work a ridiculous amount of OT only to find out our year end bonus was disappointing.

Yes which is why they are still part of what they called the CIC. Just not involved in sports. That is my whole point which you clearly can't understand.
Oh, I understand - I understand that you think a school giving up its football program and voluntarily leaving the B1G 80 years ago is equivalent to the B1G booting out NW today, and that you think U of Chicago is still part of the B1G Academic Alliance, both of which are wrong.

They better add some refrigeration units to their indoor practice facilities to get those temps inside down to 25 or so. Prep for those October and November games in the Midwest.

Silly, just like Aurora. The B1G is one of the key players in this thing, and they aren't going to "kick out" Iowa, an AAU university with a $3B+ endowment. GMAFB.
If Iowa's endowment is $3B, that's great news. That means it has more than doubled since 2016 when it was $1.2B. Northwestern is the big dog in the conference with $8B - $11B. Iowa is 3rd from the bottom in the conference endowment rankings being ahead of only Maryland and Rutgers. So, if there was ever a scenario about which team would get kicked out, would Northwestern be valued over Iowa?

Last edited:
If Iowa's endowment is $3B, that's great news. That means it has more than doubled since 2016 when it was $1.2B. Northwestern is the big dog in the conference with $8B - $11B. Iowa is 3rd from the bottom in the conference endowment rankings being ahead of only Maryland and Rutgers.
IA is also ahead of NE (2.3), and slightly behind but essentially equivalent to IN, IL and PU.

MI (17.0) also outpaces NW (14.9).

No, just tired of smart asses that come out here and just attack the other posters with sarcasm or insults and nothing else.

Just don't be such a dick. You must have some ideas about these topics, share your thoughts. If you can't see the Big Ten ever kicking out Iowa then explain the facts and reasons upon which you base that conclusion. If you can only think of personal type attacks or snark then you really don't need to say anything because that shit just hurts the sensitive and angers the aggressive, and I'm the aggressor type. No other poster deserves personal attacks until they attack you first. I didn't attack you, but you got personal right off the bat. Those guys above sure didn't attack you but you felt the need to insult them too.

Leave the personal attacks to the wife beaters and prison guards and the snark to jr high students. Engage in intelligent discourse. You really will feel better about yourself.

Think about what I said. Truce?
I don't think I've attacked or gotten personal with anyone. If you think I did with you, apologies. I know I've been called quite a few names. If you don't like the way I post, the ignore function works pretty slick.

My point about Iowa being booted from the B1G as a coping mechanism was meant about ISU fans who now are falling back onto that as a way to cope with the fact that Iowa has a spot in what will soon be the Power 2, and they don't. Wasn't directed at anyone on here because with the USC/UCLA news there's nothing for an Iowa fan to cope with.

As for why I think that, if we're headed to two 20-24 team super conferences, they're not going to be made up by 40-48 Alabamas and OSUs and Michigans and Georgias. There simply aren't that many of those elite programs, the conferences are going to need lower tier but still strong programs to round the conferences out, and I believe Iowa is one of the top 40-48 programs in the country and will safely have a place at that table.

If Iowa's endowment is $3B, that's great news. That means it has more than doubled since 2016 when it was $1.2B. Northwestern is the big dog in the conference with $8B - $11B. Iowa is 3rd from the bottom in the conference endowment rankings being ahead of only Maryland and Rutgers. So, if there was ever a scenario about which team would get kicked out, would Northwestern be valued over Iowa?
It’s bigger than Nebraska’s as well.
Iowa 3.1B
Nebraska 1.7B

Keep in mind most schools endowments will be taking huge hits due to slow joes economy.
They budget 7% growth but my guess the last 14 months have probably lost $$.

Keep in mind most schools endowments will be taking huge hits due to slow joes economy.
They budget 7% growth but my guess the last 14 months have probably lost $$.
Define "most schools" and "huge hits" and then let's make a bet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT