ADVERTISEMENT

UConn

markfromj

HR Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Despite 5 natties and a 6th on the way, it never feels to me that UConn is regarded as a “blue blood” like Duke, NC, Kansas, KY. Maybe not even AZ, Gonzaga, UCLA.

Do others see it this way?

The problem was that they had a lull for a few years where they were fairly mid, they were degraded to the American for a while, and before last year, their two most recent national titles were basically hot teams with NBA level guards who got hot at the right time, despite their teams never being truly dominant throughout the season.

Indiana is basically Nebraska football at this point. Some still quantify them as a blue blood, but they aren't returning to consistent national revelance (i.e. success/winning) anytime soon.

That is the reservation with UConn as a blue blood. The consistent winning is what makes a team a blue blood. They've had way more roller coaster seasons than say UNC, Duke, Kansas or Kentucky despite having won so many national titles since the '90s.

All that to say, I would qualify them as a blue blood at this point.

I would vote yes as a blue blood, but when Gino retires, all bets are off! That’ll be the true test imo. Lasting blue bloods can sustain success through coaches. Not sure UConn will be able to, but who knows.

Despite 5 natties and a 6th on the way, it never feels to me that UConn is regarded as a “blue blood” like Duke, NC, Kansas, KY. Maybe not even AZ, Gonzaga, UCLA.

Do others see it this way?

They do schedule a hell of a non-conference game schedule but don't play in a Power 5 conference.

So, they roll up win totals and load up for non conf games. Their NCAA tourney record speaks for itself, however.

They do schedule a hell of a non-conference game schedule but don't play in a Power 5 conference.

So, they roll up win totals and load up for non conf games. Their NCAA tourney record speaks for itself, however.
Big East is considered a power conference. Had the 2nd highest rating this year. And still has 3 teams left.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

They have not really recruited at the BLUE level consistently.
Analysts put a lot of importance on recruiting when labeling programs.
Of course that whole aspect of college sports has shifted overnite as NIL has become a huge factor in creating mature teams that are flourishing in the tourney.

Hadn't thought about this, but I think you nailed it, mark. Look at the past couple of decades and their resumé holds up really well. Love the Indiana/Nebraska FB comparison as well.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
They have not really recruited at the BLUE level consistently.
Analysts put a lot of importance on recruiting when labeling programs.
Of course that whole aspect of college sports has shifted overnite as NIL has become a huge factor in creating mature teams that are flourishing in the tourney.
Actually UConn recruits very well.

Reactions: CL82 and Mohawkeye
I mean. Yes, in the last 30 years they have been extraordinary. But before 1990 Iowa had a better program by far. So it’s very subjective. I think I’d put them a step below Duke, NC, KY, UCLA and MSU. But it’s certainly debatable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT