ADVERTISEMENT

Updated season ticket numbers - July 28

So, as of today a drop of ~3,300 general season tickets.

Still no numbers on students, they probably wait until students are there for that first week.

Obviously not good, but not as dire as some had hoped.

Just out of curiosity I looked up tickets for the Minny game, looks like:

124: quite a bit row 65+
125: 70+
126: Full

This seems mirrored in 127, 128, 129.130
131: quite a few
East stands look similar.

Endzone/Corners have a lot available.

I am guessing that the student section will fill up. I know most college freshman will purchase tickets just to do it. I know several students who bought tickets last year (mommy and daddy purchase them when they register) and the students ended up not going. I always kept seeing on Facebook kids trying to sell their student tickets. If they didn't sell they went unused for that week.

Good to hear. Overall tickets sold will likely get close to last year, but revenue will drop.

It may be worth noting that many people continue to buy season tickets simply to keep their priority for the post-KF era. It makes sense for young and middle-aged fans to do that and hope for the best. My guess is that the majority of the decline in season ticket sales are the result of older fans who have given up on KF and can't wait it out.

I am confident that the major reason season ticket sales have not plummeted is simply the nature of the way the tickets are sold. In other words, I believe the disenchantment with KF runs far deeper than the 3,300 season ticket decline might appear.

Winning and weather will be the final determining factors on how many season ticket holders actually show up and on how many single game tickets are sold.

Reactions: frydaze
"It may be worth noting that many people continue to buy season tickets simply to keep their priority for the post-KF era"

This seems to be the early fallback position to replace and explain the dire predictions concerning season ticket sales from earlier this summer.

Last edited:
Lol, none of the people on this board have said that's what they are doing and if they did, then they were muffled by the other 99% running around whining about KF, GD, and GB and calling everyone bad fans and "part of the problem" if they didn't cancel their tickets.

But those 99% are probably trolls, too, so this is moot.

AD is expecting a $3million shortfall from ticket sales this year. For OP (or anyone) a question - As of the middle of June there were only 32K +/- tickets sold. Why the sudden surge to 36k+/- in a month?

AD is expecting a $3million shortfall from ticket sales this year. For OP (or anyone) a question - As of the middle of June there were only 32K +/- tickets sold. Why the sudden surge to 36k+/- in a month?

Tickets will continue to sell as the anticipation of a new season approaches. Not everyone needs the expectation of a double digit win total to get them excited for Hawkeye Football. Its the nature of the beast.

Reactions: ichawk24
Also I believe they started group packages this year again. So that could factor into it, maybe had a bunch of groups apply and so those are eating up some of the seats.

We only renewed because my brother in law wanted them. He is paying for them and outside of 1 game he is using them. I do not have a desire to go to kinnick anymore. Nothing to do with the team or the coach. The atmosphere doesn't do it for me anymore and when I can watch on my big screen and drink beer is fine for me. Plus our tailgating spot got removed (university bought it) and now we have to park either at Finkbine or somewhere else.

Hopefully maybe in the future I will miss it and want to come back, but the past 2 years have been tough to go to games. All the restrictions on tailgating and the re-seating issue is just too much to overcome. Best of luck to everyone that attends games, it is a special place to watch football. maybe I'm getting to old.

Reactions: Chuck C
Tickets will continue to sell as the anticipation of a new season approaches. Not everyone needs the expectation of a double digit win total to get them excited for Hawkeye Football. Its the nature of the beast.

Mostly I am curious if the AD sees a spike in sales from year to year as the season nears. I think it is interesting to see a surge or spike like this one and would like to know the reasoning. I'm guessing all of those that replied probably hit on a bit of it.

Also, when did "new" ticket sales start?

All the restrictions on tailgating and the re-seating issue is just too much to overcome.

Dport:

What did you, yourself, specifically encounter in tailgating rules that turned you off? Also, what negative, to you, was there in reseating?

Curious.

Mostly I am curious if the AD sees a spike in sales from year to year as the season nears. I think it is interesting to see a surge or spike like this one and would like to know the reasoning.

Every year they sell a lot of tickets in the last month or two, and Barta is generally quoted as saying as much. Single game sales didn't even start until some point in June.

A couple things:

1) How are the 3-game ticket packages (which actually cost for less per game than those buying the 7-game season tickets) being counted for? Are they in the 36,000 season tickets sold?

2) Even though the current reduction in season tickets for 2015 is 8-9% less than the 2014 season tickets, it's much more significant if there was not a drop from 2013 to 2014, and before that, 2012 to 2013.

Anyone have the specific total; season ticket sales in 2012 or even 2011?

Those 3 game packages are not season tickets, so I can't imagine they would be counted.

"It may be worth noting that many people continue to buy season tickets simply to keep their priority for the post-KF era"

This seems to be the early fallback position to replace and explain the dire predictions concerning season ticket sales from earlier this summer.
Exactly! Anything they can come up with other than the obvious "we were wrong" scenario. That couldn't be possible. They aren't wrong, people are just buying tickets because KF will get fired and then we will start winning again. That plan is evil in it's simplicity.

Exactly! Anything they can come up with other than the obvious "we were wrong" scenario. That couldn't be possible. They aren't wrong, people are just buying tickets because KF will get fired and then we will start winning again. That plan is evil in it's simplicity.
or we are all Hawk fans--thru thick and thin--good with the bad, etc.....

Thanks clickhereo1 for this Dochterman tweet on the season ticket numbers, but something makes it seem this is not an apples to apples comparison of 2014 vs. 2015.

Looks to me like the 2015 numbers likely do not yet include student sales added in while the 2014 numbers DO include all tickets sold (public, faculty, staff).

The 2014 numbers we have been reading all along were 39,000-something on season ticket sales; not the 45,000-something mentioned in Dochterman's tweet.

Either way, I'll be there. Hope to see some of you there, I'll be in 124 with plenty of funjuice.

I don't think it's time to circle the wagons.

Considering the disappointment of last season and the horrible home schedule, it doesn't seem like a 15% dropoff in season tickets is all that surprising.

I don't think it's time to circle the wagons.

Considering the disappointment of last season and the horrible home schedule, it doesn't seem like a 15% dropoff in season tickets is all that surprising.

You are missing the point entirely.

It doesn't matter if it was surprising or not--in fact, the Iowa Athletic Dept. came out last winter already and predicted there would be a drop.

Where it does matter significantly is that a big drop in season tickets puts enormous pressure on the University in its funding of all other sports since football funds them. The U of I can not continue to see football revenues through dropping season ticket sales continue.

On top of this, in a small state where there will only be so many season ticket holders, once you lose them, regardless of the reason, it's not easy to get them back.

Even since 2010 the drop in season tickets has been very large--scarey in fact. In 2010 season tickets sales overall were almost 55,000, and this year we will be in the very low 40,0000. You mentioned in your first sentence you don;t think it is time to circle the wagons. If it isn't yet, it's pretty damn close to time with the numbers I quoted because, in the end, it's $$$$$$ that talk and ticket sales are the biggest contributor to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: And1Hawk
Thanks clickhereo1 for this Dochterman tweet on the season ticket numbers, but something makes it seem this is not an apples to apples comparison of 2014 vs. 2015.

Looks to me like the 2015 numbers likely do not yet include student sales added in while the 2014 numbers DO include all tickets sold (public, faculty, staff).

The 2014 numbers we have been reading all along were 39,000-something on season ticket sales; not the 45,000-something mentioned in Dochterman's tweet.
That makes sense...

The way I am reading this is apples to apples. I think the 39,000 for 2014 we had been reading was only general public. The 45,000 includes faculty and staff, but not students. I think the 2015 figure of 38,000 is comparable to the 45,000.

Reactions: cocoem
Although ticket sales are important for sure, getting $36 million in TV revenue is what is driving the athletic department. Season ticket sales are not as critical as they once were 10 years ago. TV revenue is only going to go up next year and so on. TV exposure is a much bigger factor in declining ticket sales at Iowa and all over the nation than the teams record the previous year. The fringe fan that is a take it or leave it fan will stay home....too many options on the tube now.

What was the loss after 2013. A 16% decrees might bot be horrible but if you add in decrees year after year then it really starts to make an impact. That is after adding in the extra food voucher perks. Now they are going to add selling student tickets to Kirkwood students. I guess you can't blame them for getting creative to try to close the gap a little bit and the student ticket sales have been stronger this year.

Some of this falls on not winning and the home schedule. Some of it falls on the changing importance of season tickets purchases due to generational changes. Truth is that a generation of people that found buying season tickets to be an important re-purchase. The next generation finds the game experience to be less important, affordable and ticket purchases are made easier near gameday due to new technology.

Thousands of people are keeping seats because they know new blood will be roaming the sidelines soon. That is the only reason I have kept my 4.

Reactions: And1Hawk
The way I am reading this is apples to apples. I think the 39,000 for 2014 we had been reading was only general public. The 45,000 includes faculty and staff, but not students. I think the 2015 figure of 38,000 is comparable to the 45,000.

They are still 7,000+ behind last year even when you account for the student factor. They are actually 2,000 student tickets behind last year as well, but most of those get sold this month after the students get back.

Last year they sold 45K public/staff plus 6,400 students for about 52K total.

This year they've sold 37K public plus about 4,000 students for about 41K.

They just announced that they are going to offer UI student tickets to full-time Kirkwood students in order to goose sales AGAIN.

Last edited:
They are still 7,000+ behind last year even when you account for the student factor. They are actually 2,000 student tickets behind last year as well, but most of those get sold this month after the students get back.

Last year they sold 45K public/staff plus 6,400 students for about 52K total.

This year they've sold 37K public plus about 4,000 students for about 41K.

They just announced that they are going to offer UI student tickets to full-time Kirkwood students in order to goose sales AGAIN.

Interesting idea, certainly a lot of Kwood students in IC...many of whom are there wanting to be Hawkeyes.

Just get those tickets in hands of those who show up, that is what is needed right now.

TaN7bUk.png

These were numbers released back in February.

Interesting idea, certainly a lot of Kwood students in IC...many of whom are there wanting to be Hawkeyes.

Just get those tickets in hands of those who show up, that is what is needed right now.
I agree it is a great move to offer these to Kirkwood students. I also think it is great your agenda in this thread got owned.

I agree it is a great move to offer these to Kirkwood students. I also think it is great your agenda in this thread got owned.

Which agenda is that? That it isn't as dire as many hoped?

That is still true. Hell, LC, known basher of all things Hawkeye even admitted it ain't that bad.

What were the quotes 6 months ago? 50k in the stands? 60?

We shall see soon.

Seeing big discounted corporate offers for single games floating around as well. UICCU offering discounted tix. One of the largest employers in CR. I think this is all through Bravo or whatever it's called.

Not to mention the wrestling/football double header. Cool concept.

They're working real hard and giving up a lot to get butts in the seats. I commend the effort but I think it's too late due to the product. If we see a different mindset from the sidelines, I might consider going. Does the offense look functional? Do we step on the throats of weaker opponents? Meaningful mid to late B1G games will also put butts in the seats.

Which agenda is that? That it isn't as dire as many hoped?

That is still true. Hell, LC, known basher of all things Hawkeye even admitted it ain't that bad.

What were the quotes 6 months ago? 50k in the stands? 60?

We shall see soon.

If total public/staff/student sales end up around 45,000 or so (that would seem to be the high end at this point), exactly how many games do you think the paid attendance will crack 60,000? Maybe for the first night game (assuming we don't crap the bed against ISU the week before), but that's about it.

You're certainly not going to find a significant amount of people that want to see any of the other games (Illinois State? Purdue? Maryland?) that don't already have season tickets that are going to purchase singles to this awful schedule.

Reactions: clickhere 01
If ticket sales disappoint one clear way to cut back on expenses is to eliminate KF's $2,000 personal recruiting travel budget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT