ADVERTISEMENT

US Open Finals

amalone

HR Heisman
Oct 12, 2005
Tony Ramos with a late exposure of Andrew Hochstrasser with :04 seconds left wins the title for Tony. Awesome guts and he kept coming to get the deciding pts. Awesome win for Tony.

It's unreal how good some of these young guys are.
It was a typical heavier wrestler pushing match with no one shooting. Looking to win squeekers will get you beat. That was not a remotely good performance from Jake. Didn't shoot once.

Last edited:
Nick Marable over Dustin Schlatter 4-2
I don't think Marable took a shot after he scored the 4 point move on Schlatter's shot in the 1st minute of the match. Before that he took maybe 1 shot. I would bet on Schlatter in a rematch.

Can Kyle Snyder red shirt next year and try for the Olympic team or did he already use up his "shirts?"

Reese Humphrey over Kendric Maple in a barn burner... 7-6

Brent Metcalf is up against Jordan Oliver.

Last edited:
Brent Metcalf over Jordan Oliver 2-1. Oliver tweeked his knee in the 1st. Never took a legitimate shot after that. Brent's defense is some of the best in the world. His stance is rock solid. Gives up nothing cheap.

Anybody wish we'd gotten Snyder or Valencia?

Of course...Wished that about both before they ever committed. We don't seem to get elite level 165 and up. Really, since Brands has taken over, Metcalf was the only guy in their league at any weight in terms of Super Stud status. After watching Mark Hall toy with Nolf, which is no disrespect to Nolf because I think he is a right out of the chute contender next year, I would give Hall's Dad the note to my house if I were Brands.

I'm surprised by how little discussion there's been about two HWC guys winning the U.S. Open and every HWC guy qualifying for the WTT's. That's a pretty big deal. Probably has to do with the limited TV coverage and few Iowa fans getting to see it. Still, a little surprising. Maybe it's Mother's Day -- doubt it.

I'm surprised by how little discussion there's been about two HWC guys winning the U.S. Open and every HWC guy qualifying for the WTT's. That's a pretty big deal. Probably has to do with the limited TV coverage and few Iowa fans getting to see it. Still, a little surprising. Maybe it's Mother's Day -- doubt it.

I had a 14+ hour day yesterday and was almost asleep on the couch when I saw the results on Twitter, at which point I shouted, "Yes!", scared the dog, and dozed off shortly afterwards. :)

Reactions: dmlawdad
[QUOTth ="WWDMHawkeye, post: 270306, member: 14330"]I'm surprised by how little discussion there's been about two HWC guys winning the U.S. Open and every HWC guy qualifying for the WTT's. That's a pretty big deal. Probably has to do with the limited TV coverage and few Iowa fans getting to see it. Still, a little surprising. Maybe it's Mother's Day -- doubt it.[/QUOTE]
They are too busy bitching about recruiting, poor coaching, poor strength training, needing new coaches, and about anything else under the sun. It doesn't fit their negative agenda when guys do well. They contribute nothing to the program. They didn't even have anything to say about the great HWC fundraiser a couple of weeks ago.

I watched the U.S. Open all Day (11:00am to about 4:30pm and 9:00pm to 11:30pm-CDT) Friday and Saturday on my IPad. Flo had a camera on every mat, but I didn't know who was wrestling on which mats, so I just had to surf from mat to mat. I quickly figured out the mats they used for men's freestyle, so that helped reduce the number of mats to watch. I luckily caught each one of Metcalf's matches, most of McD's matches and just 3 (quarters, semis, and Finals) of Ramos, about 4 of DSJ's matches and only 2 of DD's matches. The only 2 matches of DD's that I saw were the ones he lost. I guess I was bad luck for him!
I will be in Madison to watch these guys at the WTT.
Happy Mother's Day!

Ridicous that Flo posts no upcoming mat assignments Track wrestling always has the mat assignments on the event dashboard.
Use the two sites together and it will save a lot of headach.

Reactions: Ryno95
Caught a lot of the wrestling, toggling back and forth between Flo and Trackwrestling to find the right match. Ended up missing Schlatter/Marable and watching a Greco match b/c I could keep the mat assignments straight.

A lot of great wrestling. Valencia was a major eye opener. Howe's strategy against Taylor came within a hair's breadth of succeeding. Howe worked on Taylor's head so much I was feeling back pain myself. Had Taylor's leg six feet in the air with 30 seconds left but couldn't finish. And Tony's win over Hochstrasser was tremendous. Tony was the better wrestler, in my very biased opinion, and I'm relieved the final score reflected that.

One down note. The size of the crowd, especially for the early rounds, was less than you see at my son's JV basketball games. Not good. Either LV is a bad venue or the promotion was not up to snuff or the sport is still trying to catch fire outside in the southwestern US. In a town of a million people, where there must be dozens of high schools with wrestling teams, it looked like there were fewer than 1000 people in attendance at times. Maybe the event should start Friday night to allow students and workers to get to the event.

Caught a lot of the wrestling, toggling back and forth between Flo and Trackwrestling to find the right match. Ended up missing Schlatter/Marable and watching a Greco match b/c I could keep the mat assignments straight.

A lot of great wrestling. Valencia was a major eye opener. Howe's strategy against Taylor came within a hair's breadth of succeeding. Howe worked on Taylor's head so much I was feeling back pain myself. Had Taylor's leg six feet in the air with 30 seconds left but couldn't finish. And Tony's win over Hochstrasser was tremendous. Tony was the better wrestler, in my very biased opinion, and I'm relieved the final score reflected that.

One down note. The size of the crowd, especially for the early rounds, was less than you see at my son's JV basketball games. Not good. Either LV is a bad venue or the promotion was not up to snuff or the sport is still trying to catch fire outside in the southwestern US. In a town of a million people, where there must be dozens of high schools with wrestling teams, it looked like there were fewer than 1000 people in attendance at times. Maybe the event should start Friday night to allow students and workers to get to the event.

I replied to a similar criticism of the crowd size on Facebook earlier today. I've never understood the love affair wrestling seems to have for Las Vegas. Sure, it's fun for the wrestlers and "powers that be", but American wrestling fans just don't go there. Next spring the National Duals, Big Tens, NCAA Division III Championships and Olympic Trials will all be in Eastern Iowa. There will be attendance records broken.

By the way - be forewarned - Wrestling for Life has set the goal of giving 1,000 kids tickets to the NCAA Division III Championships.

Reactions: Jaybird319 and Huck
I can understand that USA Wrestling wants to move events around, but it's a little frustrating to know that those guys could have been wrestling in front of about 15,000 fans in Carver.

One approach might be to just have the US Open and WTT/OTT in Iowa City until other regions step up and show that they can draw strong crowds. That might be hard to determine, but I suspect certain types of polling, population analysis, etc., could be used to show evidence that certain regions have the capacity to deliver crowds that would resemble what we get in IC.

These wrestlers dedicate their time and energy to reaching the pinnacle of their sport. I think it's a disservice to have them competing in nearly empty venues. I suspect they'd love to come to IC if they knew fans would pack the place and provide an electric atmosphere.

Reactions: Huck
Ridicous that Flo posts no upcoming mat assignments Track wrestling always has the mat assignments on the event dashboard.

Open trackwrestling in one window and have flo in another window, then you can switch back and forth with ease. I even reduce the "zoom" on the trackwrestling window so I can have them both up on the screen at the same time. Sure it's a hassle but until flo can add an "upcoming match" feature to the site it's about the best you can do I think.

I'm assuming Vegas has been a long-term venue of choice because it's cheap and relatively easy to get direct flights to. When I was at Iowa they experimented with having Sr Nationals in Reno (88) and Kansas City (89), but decided to stick with Vegas thereafter. Is this the first time the event was held at the new venue south of town? It was always held at the convention center in the past, although I haven't paid close attention in the past few years.

It's hard to grow the popularity of the sport with a half empty arena. Man that was terrible and SAD. My youngest son made a comment about it right away and made a comment about wrestling not being very popular. My older son was like "I thought you said this was going to be one of the greatest US events of the year?" Not easy trying to explain to my boys why there was nobody there. Those guys and girls out there last night deserved to wrestle in front of 10k+ wrestling fans.

Reactions: 86_90 and Huck
It's hard to grow the popularity of the sport with a half empty arena. Man that was terrible and SAD. My youngest son made a comment about it right away and made a comment about wrestling not being very popular. My older son was like "I thought you said this was going to be one of the greatest US events of the year?" Not easy trying to explain to my boys why there was nobody there. Those guys and girls out there last night deserved to wrestle in front of 10k+ wrestling fans.

On the flip side it is also hard to grow the sport when every event is held in the same place. Especially in a low population state.

I don't have an answer but I think that's a consideration.

Reactions: Jaybird319
I don't remember the years (2years, I think) but they had the event at Disney World in Orlando and the attendance was probably below the LV attendance.

I watched the U.S. Open all Day (11:00am to about 4:30pm and 9:00pm to 11:30pm-CDT) Friday and Saturday on my IPad. Flo had a camera on every mat, but I didn't know who was wrestling on which mats, so I just had to surf from mat to mat. I quickly figured out the mats they used for men's freestyle, so that helped reduce the number of mats to watch. I luckily caught each one of Metcalf's matches, most of McD's matches and just 3 (quarters, semis, and Finals) of Ramos, about 4 of DSJ's matches and only 2 of DD's matches. The only 2 matches of DD's that I saw were the ones he lost. I guess I was bad luck for him!
I will be in Madison to watch these guys at the WTT.
Happy Mother's Day!

Open trackwrestling in one window and have flo in another window, then you can switch back and forth with ease. I even reduce the "zoom" on the trackwrestling window so I can have them both up on the screen at the same time. Sure it's a hassle but until flo can add an "upcoming match" feature to the site it's about the best you can do I think.
Just like any other wrestling tournament being shown on the internet, the upcoming match option is not provided by the video stream service unless the tournament is being run on that service's software. Same was true for NCAAs and B1Gs. Its not that difficult to have both trackwrestling and flo running at the same time. Also trackwrestling had the option of clicking a video icon by the display of current matches that automatically opened up a window showing that mat on flo.
A lot of things in the world to complain about. Not knowing how to use the simple tools in place to watch wrestling like we couldn't do a few short years ago is not one of em.

Bunch of problems with this one...This is a busy time of year for most folks. Graduations, weddings, schools ending, family vacations. To hold it in a state where interest in wrestling is virtually zero is a good place to start. Somebody must be making some $$$ because they continue to do it each year...too bad because there was some great talent at that tourney.

Not following, chief. Are you being facetious about Vegas being a "good place to start"?

I suspect they'd draw a good crowd in State College and possibly Columbus, too. Probably not as good as Iowa City, but at least that would move the tournament around a little. I'd like to see the US Open (and the WTT/OTT, for that matter) in Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, for selfish reasons. I think they'd draw very well there, too. Probably tough to get that arena, though, and probably cheaper to use Carver. Anyway, rotating between Iowa City, State College, and maybe Columbus would be an idea, although I seem to recall that National Duals drew poorly in Columbus, so that may not be a great option. Maybe once Zeke gets ASU cranking, Tempe would be an option out west. Probably better than Vegas, at least.

Anyway, whatever the solution, Vegas sure seems like a poor choice to me from a fan support perspective.

Reactions: Huck

----

Valencia is a beast. Took down Howe within a few seconds and turned him. Howe took his time and eventually came back and won, but far closer than I would've predicted. Howe wrestled Taylor in the best manner he could.... just tying him up and hanging on the head and shoulders. Too bad he couldn't finish the single at the end. Seems like he had Taylor bouncing on one leg forever, and just couldn't finish. There ended up being a great scramble once they both fell to the mat, and eventual stalemate.

Agree regarding the crowd Gusaford, pretty small. What was even more pathetic was the coverage in the Las Vegas Sunday paper sports section..... *ZERO* No picture, small article or even a few millimeters of print listing the winners.

It did seem like amateur hour in the early rounds. Those were held in a room with about 7 rows of bleacher seats. There were no printed brackets, and not great visibility except for the 3 closest mats.

Not following, chief. Are you being facetious about Vegas being a "good place to start"?

I suspect they'd draw a good crowd in State College and possibly Columbus, too. Probably not as good as Iowa City, but at least that would move the tournament around a little. I'd like to see the US Open (and the WTT/OTT, for that matter) in Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, for selfish reasons. I think they'd draw very well there, too. Probably tough to get that arena, though, and probably cheaper to use Carver. Anyway, rotating between Iowa City, State College, and maybe Columbus would be an idea, although I seem to recall that National Duals drew poorly in Columbus, so that may not be a great option. Maybe once Zeke gets ASU cranking, Tempe would be an option out west. Probably better than Vegas, at least.

Anyway, whatever the solution, Vegas sure seems like a poor choice to me from a fan support perspective.

No...I think the root of the problem is holding the nation's premier non college tourney in both a literal and figurative desert.

Reactions: Huck and Wendy79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT