ADVERTISEMENT

VanSumeren

Apr 8, 2003
VanSumeren set to sign with Iowa

pnqfykuvoy9ad45desql

Future Hawkeye Ben VanSumeren made his official visit to Iowa City this past weekend.

Blair Sanderson • HawkeyeReport.com
@BlairRIVALS

Future Hawkeye Ben VanSumeren was back in Iowa City this past weekend for his official visit. Afterwards, we caught up with the 6-foot-3, 232-pound Michigan native to talk about the trip, what he has planned for signing day next week, and much more.

Q: First, can you take us through the official visit and what some of the highlights were for you?

VanSumeren: I enjoyed every second of my official visit. We got fed very well and got to sit in positional meetings. My highlight of my time in Iowa City was probably our photo shoot.

Q: Who was your host?

VanSumeren: Nick Niemann and Nate Stanley.

Q: Talking with the coaches, what did they say about the opportunity and the plan for you coming in?

VanSumeren: The coaches let me know that there isn't much experience at linebacker and I should be given an opportunity very early with all of the tools that I can bring to the position.

Q: When you look back at your decision, what was it about Iowa that made it the right place for you?

VanSumeren: The coaching staff and fan base of Iowa were some of the things that were very intriguing in my decision.

Q: What do you have planned for signing day on December 20th?

VanSumeren: I plan on signing in the weight room at my high school on the bench press.

Q: What will that day mean to you and your family?

VanSumeren: It will be huge for me and my family because it means one of my biggest goals along the way has been accomplished.

A three-star recruit, VanSumeren committed to Iowa in early November, choosing the Hawkeyes over offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Missouri, and Cincinnati.

As a senior, VanSumeren had 85 catches for 1,259 yards and 13 touchdowns on offense to go along with 43 tackles and 4 TFL on defense for Garber High School.

See highlights from VanSumeren's senior year in the video below.

Reactions: Hawkeye3378
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News