ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting

cyberhawk

HR MVP
Jun 30, 2009
DON'T SELL TANIA DAVIS SHORT

Davis has scholarship offers from Iowa, Kansas, West Virginia, Kansas State, DePaul, Houston and Texas-El Paso, among others. She also has gotten interest of late from Rutgers and Minnesota.

If I read that article right, Davis intends to make a decision some time this September and, in advance of her decision, she has official visits lined-up at Depaul in August followed by West Virginia, then Iowa, in September. If Iowa is her last visit before announcing I like Bluder's chances, especially since she was hoping for a Michigan or MSU offer but both schools have backed-off.. She may want to stay in the B10 and prove those schools wrong.

5ft 4 is small but my guess is that would not be necessarily be big liability at the PG spot for WBB. It works both ways -speedy shorter players can give taller defenders fits. As expected, she is a good passer and shows a wicked cross-over. She must be doing something right being named Michigan POY for her class. Also, she wants to study to be a cardiologist -Univ of Iowa would be a good fit for her academically as well.

This post was edited on 6/29 1:35 PM by nu2u

I wonder if we really want 2 players on the team that are under 5'5 ???? I would think you could only have one at a time playing or we would be in trouble due to size.

Thanks to Nu2u and Twindman for their comments.

Normally I hesitate to post any speculative recruiting information, but in this case, as Nu2u writes, Iowa may indeed have a good chance to get her since her academic goal is to study Cardiology. Also, she may want to stay in the B1G to play against her home state schools because they did not recruit her [because she is so short] and as was indicated in the article, she may [for that reason] have a bit of a chip on her shoulder.

While it is true that Iowa has Whitney Jennings (5'5") as a freshman this year, I don't think that should matter. Perhaps it would be ideal if they could be two years apart, but as far as having two such short players on a team is not a bad thing. It's probably not likely they will be starting together or even playing much together, but for practice purposes, it would be a good thing. Also, one of them can back-up the other in short stretches or in case of foul trouble and will be insurance if one gets injured. The article says she is only 5'3" but she is one of the top rated players (regardless of position) and perhaps the highest rated guard in the state and is in the ESPN top 60 of the nation. (Her HS coach also is quoted saying that she gets most excited when her teammates score so she is apparently very team oriented.) If she wants to come to Iowa, I think it is a no-brainer offer.

Also, while we are on the subject of WBB recruiting, I believe the Iowa women have two or three more scholarships to give (depending on whether or not Hailey Schneden is given a full scholarship). With Samantha and Melissa both graduating next year, I would think that Iowa would try to bring in at least one if not two guards to replace them. I have read [a rumor] that Iowa is recruiting a highly rated (possibly the top rated) guard from Illinois (there are three top-ten rated in the state still uncommitted) and have [reportedly] been in contact with another [top-ten] guard (AAU teammate of Megan Gustafson) from Wisconsin.

This post was edited on 7/1 8:35 PM by cyberhawk

I believe Schneden was on scholarship last year, but maybe it was just a 1 year deal.

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

I believe Schneden was on scholarship last year, but maybe it was just a 1 year deal.
I believe you are correct for last year and I also don't know if it is good for her remaining eligibility. I doubt that Coach Bluder will would use that scholarship this year even if it were available. Two guards in addition to the two verbals commits (6'2" F Tagyn Larson and 6'4" F/C Megan Gustafson) that they already have for 2015, I think would be enough. Of course, Iowa might only take one (or even none) if they can't get the players they want, but in that case they do already have Mason City guard Mackenzie Meyer committed for 2016.

Thanks for the info. I did not know of the other '15 or the '16 recruit and I have followed women's basketball for years now. Info is much harder to come by so thanks!!

For 2015 the players that might be referenced from Wisconsin and Illinois are
Hoopgurlz #6 Teniya Page a 5-7 guard from Chicago Heights
Hoopgurlz #24 Arike Ogunbowale a 5-9 guard from Milwaukee
Not sure of Iowa's chances with either. I think Ogunbowale might be looking in another direction.

I remember reading that Ogunbowale cut her list of schools down several months ago, Iowa didn't make the cut. I had recently heard they are keeping a close eye on the shooting guard out of WDM Valley - Grace Vander-Wiede.

It has been reported that Arike O. has a short list and Iowa is not on it. It has been my impression that she was really never interested in Iowa. However, there are two uncommitted guards in Wisconsin's 2015 top-ten. One of them, Jasmin Samz, is an AAU teammate of Megan Gustafson. I think she may be a late bloomer. Here is the story I found about her.

GIRLS BASKETBALL: WAUSAU WEST JUNIOR SAMZ A HOT COMMODITY ON RECRUITING TRAIL

Iowa, Iowa State, Dartmouth, Davidson, Evansville, North Dakota and Illinois State have all been in contact with Samz. The 5-foot-9 guard holds scholarship offers from Marquette, UWM, South Dakota State, Florida Atlantic and Youngstown State.[/I]

As for Teniya Page (5'8' PG), she is [arguably] the best player in Illinois and perhaps a top ten caliber player in the nation. I did read in another forum that Iowa was recruiting her but of course there was no mention of an offer or mutual interest so she should be considered a highly speculative prospect at this time.

Originally posted by jockos:
I remember reading that Ogunbowale cut her list of schools down several months ago, Iowa didn't make the cut. I had recently heard they are keeping a close eye on the shooting guard out of WDM Valley - Grace Vander-Wiede.
Grace VanderWiede committed to Missouri State last week.

Also BTW, FYI, and FWIW, Tania Davis is scheduled to visit Iowa this month.

Davis said she wants to decide by the end of September and has trips lined up to DePaul in August and West Virginia and Iowa the following month.[/URL]

This post was edited on 9/10 8:53 PM by cyberhawk

Goodrich basketball star Tania Davis...

Tania Davis is the #37 rated prospect by ESPN Hoopgurlz. Doesn't appear her height is holding her back at all.

For 2016 Iowa has the #30 prospect (ESPN Super 60) right in their backyard at CF Jefferson - Amanda Ollinger 6'1 F. She has had an Iowa offer for some time and is deciding between Volleyball or Basketball last I heard. Would be an good get for the lady hawks.

This post was edited on 9/11 4:55 PM by jockos

This post was edited on 9/11 5:00 PM by jockos

I just found this recent update from Lady Ballers Insiders...

5'5" Tania Davis 2015 Goodrich picked up offers from Michigan State & Illinois. She has taken official visits to West Virginia & DePaul, still has visits scheduled with Big Ten schools Iowa & Minnesota.

Notice that she is listed here at 5'5" so maybe she has grown an inch. ;-) Also, if this is accurate, she now has an offer from MSU. Anyway, stay tuned because we shall learn in a few short weeks what her decision is.

BTW Jockos, thank you for your comment. Amanda Ollinger has been on my 'radar' as well. I would compare her to Carly Mohns. Like Carly, she is also a standout volleyball player as well. I hope she chooses Iowa.

This post was edited on 9/11 5:33 PM by cyberhawk

I read that Iowa has agreed that Ollinger can play 4 years of basketball and a year of Volleyball on scholarship. Earlier this summer she plans on deciding by end of summer, hope she picks Iowa.
Based on the tweets from Iowa coaches, sounds like some good news is coming very soon regarding one of their recruits.
This post was edited on 9/11 11:45 PM by jockos

Oakhawk, help us out here on any potential women commits in the near future.

Alexis Sevillian, 5-6, point guard, Goodrich High School/Michigan Crossover 15U (Goodrich, Michigan)

With medium-solid build, Sevillian showed strong skills at both ends
of the court. On offense she showed three-point range and a mid-range
jumper. She played aggressive on ball defense but also read the passing
lanes well.
This was Alexis' noteworthy mention from Nike Nationals. 2016 PG. Teammate of Tania Davis.

Alexis Sevillian '16 of Goodrich HS verbals to Iowa, plays AAU w/Mich Crossover

Originally posted by oakhawk:
Thanks for the info oak. I sure could use that good news today.

Alexis Sevillian, 5-6, point guard, Goodrich High School/Michigan Crossover 15U (Goodrich, Michigan)

With medium-solid build, Sevillian showed strong skills at both ends
of the court. On offense she showed three-point range and a mid-range
jumper. She played aggressive on ball defense but also read the passing
lanes well.
This was Alexis' noteworthy mention from here[/I][/B]. They will be classmates.

Makenzie Meyer, 5-9, guard, Mason City High School/All Iowa Attack - Mauro (Mason City, Iowa)[/B]
Meyer can play either guard slot. She handles the ball well but also can go over to the off-guard slot and shoot threes. She runs the court well and understands the game.

This post was edited on 9/15 8:28 PM by cyberhawk

Bluder lands guard Sevilian for 2016 class
A junior at Goodrich High School in Goodrich (MI), Sevillian has been interested in Iowa since attending an elite summer camp in Iowa City where she fell in love with the campus as a high school freshman. Sevillian remained on the Hawkeyes' radar before unofficially visiting earlier this month where she was able to interact with current players. The connection with the players and coaches at Iowa made her decision an easy one.

"The connection that I had with the coaches and the players at Iowa was a connection that I haven't had with any other schools that I've been talking to or been recruited by," Sevillian said. "I just felt very comfortable."

Sevillian, who's father Clarence played football at Vanderbilt, averaged 12.6 points, 2.1 assists and 3.0 steals per game last year as a sophomore. The 5-foot-6 guard shot 76 percent from the free throw line a year ago while helping her team to a 22-3 record and spot in the regional final.

"I'm a really good shooter," Sevillian said. "I attack the basketball very well and I'm strong, I'm not afraid of contact."

Hawk Central

Thought I read in this thread or a different thread that Davis would decide by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

What about Tania Davis? While Sevillian has made up
her mind, her teammate Tania Davis, the Associated Press' Class B Player
of the Year and a Top 40 recruit according to ESPN, expects to make her
announcement any day now.
Davis, a 5-foot-4 spark plug at point
guard, has scholarship offers from Iowa, Kansas, West Virginia, Kansas
State, DePaul, Houston and Texas-El Paso. She averaged 19 points, four
assists and three steals per game while shooting 78 percent from the
free-throw line for Goodrich and earned Flint Journal Player of the Year
honors.
"I think a lot of people doubt me because of my height, but I don't let that get to me," Davis told espn.com over the summer.
"Sometimes I wonder if I would have gotten more offers if I were
taller, but I use that as motivation to step up my game and prove the
doubters wrong."

I googled her and that's what I also read. I see Iowa is the only Big Ten school in her final few along with Kansas and Kansas State, Houston and a couple of others. I would think playing in the B1G would give Iowa an advantage, but you never know.

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

I googled her and that's what I also read.  I see Iowa is the only Big Ten school in her final few along with Kansas and Kansas State, Houston and a couple of others.  I would think playing in the B1G would give Iowa an advantage, but you never know.
Big 12 has had much more tournament success in recent years.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: WBB recruiting - good news

BREAKING NEWS: Goodrich PG Tania Davis just committed to the University of Iowa! Her teammate @alexis_laniece committed last week. @_1LilT

She's a senior so next year the two point guards will be under 5' 6". Last time that happened at Iowa it actually worked out well. Hope this does.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

And those two guards will be a Parade All-American and an ESPN top 40 player. Both are very quick, good passers, and good ball handlers. Pesky defenders. Whit is probably better offensively, Tania maybe better defensively.
Both are great at dribble penetration and really see the court welj.

Lex Kastanek can also play the point, and Ally Disterhoft can too. Christina Buttenham is another big guard option.

Don't forget about Kathryn Reynolds. She redshirted two years ago due to injury. She has two years of eligibility left and will be a senior when Tania is a freshman. She had some complications with her recovery but if healthy she could be an impact player at the PG position. The three of them together should make for a very good rotation for Coach Bluder in scrimmages.

This post was edited on 9/22 6:33 PM by cyberhawk

Goodrich's Alexis Sevillian commits to Iowa, joins big sister in the Big Ten conference
AlexisSevillian.jpg

Goodrich sophomore Alexis Sevillian (10) dribbles the ball up court

Last season [...] Goodrich finished 22-3 and lost to Flint Powers Catholic in the regional final. Davis averaged 21 points and 4 assists. She also eclipsed 1,000 career points and is nearing the school record of 1,492. Davis [...] has a 3.5 GPA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT