ADVERTISEMENT

Welch

bojihawk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 22, 2001
Is Sean Welsh playing this year? A friend of mine said that he and Cooper will not see the field again for Iowa. He said Cooper can barely walk will never be in football shape again. Also said Sean is mentally not in football anymore. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Is Sean Welsh playing this year? A friend of mine said that he and Cooper will not see the field again for Iowa. He said Cooper can barely walk will never be able to no football shape and Sean is mentally not in football anymore. Anyone know?
Steven Patrick approves this message

Reactions: Pepperman and 4IA
Well considering I have seen Cooper walk and it doesn't look like he struggles with it I will take this information with a grain of salt. Not that it doesn't mean he won't play again because his knee might not be good enough but 'barely walk' is an exaggeration.
As for Welsh, considering he rejoined the team I take that as a good sign.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Way too much quiet from the headhawk on this. Cooper will likely not ever play again and I think Coach does not want to spill the beans on no Welch until he has to. Coach does not want to advertise big problems on the O-Line. After all Iowa is O-Line U according to a few.

Someone might have to refresh my memory, but my recollection is that Ferentz doesn't say much after the I-Club circuit unless people are getting arrested (arguably, he doesn't say much on the I-Club circuit either). I'm not expecting Cooper for this season, but I don't think that you can read too much into silence at a time when Coach Ferentz typically isn't saying anything. I imagine that he will get asked about both at B1G media days. Even then, the word on Welsh will probably be that he got a little behind by missing spring practice and they'll know more after camp opens.

Reactions: NomisHawk
Wonder if Daniels will get a shot at center and Blythe moved to guard. Have heard some great things about this young mam.

Wonder if Daniels will get a shot at center and Blythe moved to guard. Have heard some great things about this young mam.

Yeah Daniels looks like a kid who could actually be ready to play OL as a Freshman. I would bet he ends up on the two deeps after fall camp.

Yeah Daniels looks like a kid who could actually be ready to play OL as a Freshman. I would bet he ends up on the two deeps after fall camp.

As much as I would like seeing a younger player get on the field early in his career, I just don't think it will be Daniels this year. As talented as he seems to be and despite the fact that he got on campus early and has good size already, I think that the coaching staff wants him to be center for the next 4 years, starting in 2016. If anything were to happen, like Welsh not returning to the team (personally, I think he will be back to play) Blythe would move over to guard and Simmons would get in at center. Ward and Keppy also saw limited action last year, and Ross Reynolds has been mentioned a couple times during the spring by Brian Ferentz and appeared on the 2 deeps this spring, so I think seeing any of them in the rotation at guard is more likely. Blythe and Simmons are both seniors so I think they will be our centers this year with some younger guys getting a crack at guard. I think that they would see burning Daniel's redshirt as a waste while they have Simmons and Blythe on the roster. That being said, I completely expect to see Daniels at the top of the depth chart next year with very little competition for that role.

As much as I would like seeing a younger player get on the field early in his career, I just don't think it will be Daniels this year. As talented as he seems to be and despite the fact that he got on campus early and has good size already, I think that the coaching staff wants him to be center for the next 4 years, starting in 2016. If anything were to happen, like Welsh not returning to the team (personally, I think he will be back to play) Blythe would move over to guard and Simmons would get in at center. Ward and Keppy also saw limited action last year, and Ross Reynolds has been mentioned a couple times during the spring by Brian Ferentz and appeared on the 2 deeps this spring, so I think seeing any of them in the rotation at guard is more likely. Blythe and Simmons are both seniors so I think they will be our centers this year with some younger guys getting a crack at guard. I think that they would see burning Daniel's redshirt as a waste while they have Simmons and Blythe on the roster. That being said, I completely expect to see Daniels at the top of the depth chart next year with very little competition for that role.

If he is the best player then you play him. Coaches shouldn't be looking down the road 4 years, not when their jobs appear to be on the line this year.

Someone might have to refresh my memory, but my recollection is that Ferentz doesn't say much after the I-Club circuit unless people are getting arrested (arguably, he doesn't say much on the I-Club circuit either). I'm not expecting Cooper for this season, but I don't think that you can read too much into silence at a time when Coach Ferentz typically isn't saying anything. I imagine that he will get asked about both at B1G media days. Even then, the word on Welsh will probably be that he got a little behind by missing spring practice and they'll know more after camp opens.

I agree with your suspicions about Cooper - it doesn't look good at all, and Kirk has never sounded particularly optimistic about that. Besides, even if he got to playing form, I don't know how much he would see the field with the Johnson-Ekaktie-Bazata-(Terlouw) rotation. And I also agree with this period of silence - there usually isn't much to talk about and I think him stating earlier this summer that he was back working out with the team is a good sign. I don't think we would be hearing anything one way or the other. There have been a couple other quiet transitions (Sealby transferring, Kornbrath removing himself from competition) and there has been no indication that is what is going on with Welsh.

I think Cooper would have to miss almost two full seasons to get a medical redshirt/waiver.

That is usual expectation but the committee that decides has been inconsistent. Will depend in part I'd Cooper wants to play again. Sometimes the rehab and risk involved not worth it

Iowa will not give a guy a 6th season who hasn't been healthy for over 2 years. If Cooper isn't ready by Aug 6, Iowa will apply for a medical scholarship which more or less allows 86 student athletes on scholarship. A Croston, Stone, or Snyder would be given a scholarship. In the SEC Kornbrath would have suffered a career ending groin injury and we would have an extra scholarship.

Only thing is, if Daniels RS'S and starts next season, he won't start 4 yrs. He will be gone early

If Welsh doesn't come back this could be a real problem. Say they do go with Simmons at center and move Blythe to guard. That would mean two years in a row we'd have three new starters on the line. Both OT's and center this year. Both guards and center next year...yikes : ( I hope Welsh makes it back !

Why is everyone speculating that he's not back? He's been here all summer.

Being back physically and being back mentally are two different thinks. I've seen a number of people say he's lost his love for the game. Time will tell, lets hope for the best.

There is a lots of talk that Welsh wanted to move to WR but the coaches wouldn't let him so he almost left and now he hates playing football and doesn't even want to practice because of advice from Allen Iverson that he got while away from the program.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I have personally already counted him out after his spring departure. He was already playing as an undersized guard at 6'2"ish 280 lbs last year. If he lost 10-15 lbs from the end of last year by not being in the training program that weight will have to be put back on. If that is not the case, he may also not have reached the necessary 300 lbs that he needed to get to in order to have any chance to truly move his man this year. Lots of leverage issues last season trying to play undersized and it was one of several reasons our running game tanked despite having 2 pro tackles.

Not down on the player just realistic about his chances of contributing at the level that we desperately need given his absence.

I have personally already counted him out after his spring departure. He was already playing as an undersized guard at 6'2"ish 280 lbs last year. If he lost 10-15 lbs from the end of last year by not being in the training program that weight will have to be put back on. If that is not the case, he may also not have reached the necessary 300 lbs that he needed to get to in order to have any chance to truly move his man this year. Lots of leverage issues last season trying to play undersized and it was one of several reasons our running game tanked despite having 2 pro tackles.

Not down on the player just realistic about his chances of contributing at the level that we desperately need given his absence.

First, Welsh is listed as 6ft3 288lbs. That is not undersized, at least not to the extent that you want to portray. 12 more pounds may or may not help him with blocking but strength is not directly related to size and leverage has more to do with skill and technique than body weight.

Second, I agree that Welsh was probably thrown into the fire prematurely as a true freshman. Big jump from high school to starting OL for a B10 team.

Third, the coaches listed Welsh in the just released two-deeps. He must be doing something right. Everyone seems to be writing him off but there he is contending for a starter spot.

Yeah, kf doesn't generally keep someone in the 2 deeps of they have started slacking off. If welsh were under weight and lost his passion and it was translating to the workouts and other areas, KF would have taken him out of the 2 deeps and put a Rudy type in there before putting welsh in there

Way too much quiet from the headhawk on this. Cooper will likely not ever play again and I think Coach does not want to spill the beans on no Welch until he has to. Coach does not want to advertise big problems on the O-Line. After all Iowa is O-Line U according to a few.

Ferentz on B1G media day said Welch is a go for the fall. I willingly eat crow and it tastes great. I just wish Cooper could also be back.

First, Welsh is listed as 6ft3 288lbs. That is not undersized, at least not to the extent that you want to portray. 12 more pounds may or may not help him with blocking but strength is not directly related to size and leverage has more to do with skill and technique than body weight.

Second, I agree that Welsh was probably thrown into the fire prematurely as a true freshman. Big jump from high school to starting OL for a B10 team.

Third, the coaches listed Welsh in the just released two-deeps. He must be doing something right. Everyone seems to be writing him off but there he is contending for a starter spot.

That's why there is a weight and measurement aspect at the NFL combine and they do not go instead off of 'listed' weight and height by programs. It's also funny that those of us who actually attend games and get to see these guys in the offensive huddle notice things about heights. The 5 lineman standing side-by-side is revealing.

Also, 2013 he redshirted so he was not a true freshman last year.

There were rumors that he lost weight after leaving the program this past spring. That is just rumors but if true that has to be put back on in addition of what is needed to get to 300. Yes, newsflash 288 is undersized in today's football where Arkansas and Wisconsin among many top flight programs have starting guards between 315 to 350 lbs.

I hope I am wrong and he is a strong contributor this fall because we need him to be. I just want to see it first. There is a vested interest by this staff at making it appear he has a chance because they invested a lot of time playing him last year instead of Boone Myers, Boetteger or someone else in that spot. They could have used the PT that Welsch got. If he does not contribute this season and it's one more thing that makes the staff look silly.

That's why there is a weight and measurement aspect at the NFL combine and they do not go instead off of 'listed' weight and height by programs. It's also funny that those of us who actually attend games and get to see these guys in the offensive huddle notice things about heights. The 5 lineman standing side-by-side is revealing.

Also, 2013 he redshirted so he was not a true freshman last year.

There were rumors that he lost weight after leaving the program this past spring. That is just rumors but if true that has to be put back on in addition of what is needed to get to 300. Yes, newsflash 288 is undersized in today's football where Arkansas and Wisconsin among many top flight programs have starting guards between 315 to 350 lbs.

I hope I am wrong and he is a strong contributor this fall because we need him to be. I just want to see it first. There is a vested interest by this staff at making it appear he has a chance because they invested a lot of time playing him last year instead of Boone Myers, Boetteger or someone else in that spot. They could have used the PT that Welsch got. If he does not contribute this season and it's one more thing that makes the staff look silly.

Your posts make me laugh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT