ADVERTISEMENT

Welp….

Yeah. no.

He knew from the beginning that they would open up the search. He knew that from John, he knew that from the administration. They were VERY clear that his hiring did not make head coach in waiting.

John would not/could not/did not pick his successor. The admin gave Coleman no "discussions" that he was heir apparent.

Also, no one knew John would retire this past year. It was assumed he was going to do another 2-6 years. I didn't think he'd leave for another 10 when he hired Coleman, because he could do less with him in the room.

Coleman BELIEVED he was the guy. And he's believed he's the best guy for the job for a long time. He also thought that leaving UNC would give him a legs up and the pay raise was nice as well. And until DT's last second turnabout - Coleman was going to be the next HC of OSU. He certainly thought so until last monday at about 1930 CST.

Coleman didn't get screwed. Period. OSU did what a top 3 program is supposed to do. Conduct a thorough search for the best candidate.
I know vhsalum from the OSU message board and he has very good takes. He is completely correct. If Coleman and staff would have been our coaches for next 15 years, we would have been elated. It was unfortunate what happened and some lucky teams will get them.

I know vhsalum from the OSU message board and he has very good takes. He is completely correct. If Coleman and staff would have been our coaches for next 15 years, we would have been elated. It was unfortunate what happened and some lucky teams will get them.
Actually I think you guys got lucky with how it all went down. That's not to say that the old staff wouldn't have been good but what you got was better. Don't mourn the loss.

Actually I think you guys got lucky with how it all went down. That's not to say that the old staff wouldn't have been good but what you got was better. Don't mourn the loss.
I do agree. It was a no-brainer. Good for the AD for making it happen. DT was Cael’s most likely replacement. It is nice to have some fresh blood. Kind of like Iowa has been experiencing that I have read on their board. I know exactly how you guys feel, OSU likes to keep all their hires in house as well, from the Smith tree. This definitely took me by surprise.

Last edited:
What I find funny is the Gilman hate at OSU. He is going to be the first coach poached by another school. I’d lock him down with a prohibitive salary.
I know. There are a ton of people that are sore over the Gilman hiring. Lol. I think it’s great. As far as I’m concerned, it’s water under the bridge. Guys can get into a fight and turn around and be best friends.

I do agree. It was a no-brainer. Good for the AD for making it happen. DT was Cael’s most likely replacement. It is nice to have some fresh blood. Kind of like Iowa has been experiencing that I have read on their board. I know exactly how you guys feel, OSU likes to keep all their hires in house as well, from the Smith tree. This definitely took me by surprise.
DT brought the United Nations to OSU. Illinois, Iowa, and PSU. Eventually I think Cornell. New ideas. Great energy.. Cael’s replacement might be on the team today.

DT brought the United Nations to OSU. Illinois, Iowa, and PSU. Eventually I think Cornell. New ideas. Great energy.. Cael’s replacement might be on the team today.
Let’s be clear, here. It’s not like DT traveled the world to find these guys. They were all in the same PSU room with him for a while now. It’s cool that they all wrestled for different schools, but let’s not twist the narrative too far…

Let’s be clear, here. It’s not like DT traveled the world to find these guys. They were all in the same PSU room with him for a while now. It’s cool that they all wrestled for different schools, but let’s not twist the narrative too far…
I guess you missed my point, or are just being argumentative. AGAIN. By coming from different schools, OSUs new staff have been exposed to an array of different coaching styles and techniques. So let's try not to twist the narrative too far from the intent of my post. I think everyone, including you, got my original point. Maybe you're going after the highest total post count on a wrestling board. If so, carry on.

has no filter. Not good when an admin is your boss.
My solution would be to get rid of the admin. Operations (ie coaching) needs people who speak their mind and the rank and file appreciates that as opposed to the prim and proper admin. I've found that the outspoken go-getter can be somewhat trained to control themselves while the suits can not be trained to drop the veil.

Reactions: Nitlion1986
I guess you missed my point, or are just being argumentative. AGAIN. By coming from different schools, OSUs new staff have been exposed to an array of different coaching styles and techniques. So let's try not to twist the narrative too far from the intent of my post. I think everyone, including you, got my original point. Maybe you're going after the highest total post count on a wrestling board. If so, carry on.
Teaching different styles and techniques? Where exactly did they teach these "different" techniques? The literal point is that they had all been indoctrinated at PSU BEFORE leaving. I am not in any way being argumentative. I am simply stating an inarguable FACT.

The narrative that they are all just coming from drastically different places with a completely different set of techniques and teaching skills simply is NOT true. They are all coming from PSU after spending 3 or more seasons there.

If DT had grabbed Kennedy right from Illinois, or even Northwestern, or Gilman straight from Iowa, I would 100% agree. But, that is very far from the case...

Reactions: ikS and T8KUDWN
Teaching different styles and techniques? Where exactly did they teach these "different" techniques? The literal point is that they had all been indoctrinated at PSU BEFORE leaving. I am not in any way being argumentative. I am simply stating an inarguable FACT.

The narrative that they are all just coming from drastically different places with a completely different set of techniques and teaching skills simply is NOT true. They are all coming from PSU after spending 3 or more seasons there.

If DT had grabbed Kennedy right from Illinois, or even Northwestern, or Gilman straight from Iowa, I would 100% agree. But, that is very far from the case...
Where you competed is probably the biggest factor in terms of your thoughts on training modalities.

So while I get your point that they were all at PSU for a bit. It really does matter that they weren't indoctrinated with the same philosophy for their formative years.

Thomas is still as Iowa as it gets. he's a TNT clone, but has learned a bit more in terms of not just going hard in training and actually incorporating scrambling.

Jimmy wrestled for an Illinois squad that actually had a good coach (mark johnson). Spent time training at Michigan when Hrovat had them humming (you wanna talk about a dude with some weird training beliefs) and coached at a program with far less (northwestern).

If/when Dake shows up - that's a dude that's coached himself since he graduated college. Has some very distinct things that he believes in.

So other than DT, your talking about 2 guys that only spent some "professional" years at PSU. For instance, even if we've been in a place our entire adult lives - if it's different from where we grew up/were raised, none of would say we are FROM that place.

Long way of saying - they all trained in different places as collegiate competitors and that matters.

Where you competed is probably the biggest factor in terms of your thoughts on training modalities.

So while I get your point that they were all at PSU for a bit. It really does matter that they weren't indoctrinated with the same philosophy for their formative years.

Thomas is still as Iowa as it gets. he's a TNT clone, but has learned a bit more in terms of not just going hard in training and actually incorporating scrambling.

Jimmy wrestled for an Illinois squad that actually had a good coach (mark johnson). Spent time training at Michigan when Hrovat had them humming (you wanna talk about a dude with some weird training beliefs) and coached at a program with far less (northwestern).

If/when Dake shows up - that's a dude that's coached himself since he graduated college. Has some very distinct things that he believes in.

So other than DT, your talking about 2 guys that only spent some "professional" years at PSU. For instance, even if we've been in a place our entire adult lives - if it's different from where we grew up/were raised, none of would say we are FROM that place.

Long way of saying - they all trained in different places as collegiate competitors and that matters.
I wasn't saying that it doesn't matter at all. But, where you were at last is almost always the most influential. Especially as successful as PSU has been.

But, the real reason this is something I am pushing back against, is because it is being pushed harder here SPECIFICALLY because it IS a dig at Iowa keeping everything in house. It "acts" like DT is being so innovative by grabbing guys from across the country, but they are actually just following him from the same room.

As far as where you competed goes, how you actually learned how to coach can be drastically different. In fact, many of the best coaches should, and often do, learn how to teach much different styles than how they wrestled. Teaching kids to excel and maximize their own skill set vs. trying to clone them into your own.

Finally, the best coaches almost always are students of the sport. Even those that were only at one program have been involved in enough camps, seminars and competitions to learn how to teach a huge variety of techniques. Some may be too stubborn and stick with what they like best for too long, but the narrative that you can't teach a huge variety by only being from one program simply is not accurate....

I don't think this conversation would be happening if ps1985 didn't make the statement "DT brought the United Nations to OSU." The United Nations of Iowa, Illinois and psu, lol.

the narrative that you can't teach a huge variety by only being from one program
Whose narrative is this?

Always with the hyperbole.

Certainly being exposed to diverse approaches, as a student of the game, makes it more likely that one can teach a huge variety.

As such, some may take your hyperbole about other people's narrative as a dig at Iowa's present assistant coaches.

Whose narrative is this?

Always with the hyperbole.

Certainly being exposed to diverse approaches, as a student of the game, makes it more likely that one can teach a huge variety.

As such, some may take your hyperbole about other people's narrative as a dig at Iowa's present assistant coaches.
You definitely have a tendency to be disingenuous, but this may very well be your "masterpiece"...

Thank you for admitting I was right. I was really starting to wonder, but I am now hopeful you can be saved!
People like yourself who are never wrong should never be wondering. You already know you're right. I was simply acknowledging your superiority in every subject matter discussed on the internet. Do you mind sharing a pic of the monument erected in your honor?

People like yourself who are never wrong should never be wondering. You already know you're right. I was simply acknowledging your superiority in every subject matter discussed on the internet. Do you mind sharing a pic of the monument erected in your honor?
Oh, make no mistake, I am wrong plenty. Just not when it comes to your PSU slanted posts on an Iowa message board.

As far as monuments in my honor goes:

<

Project much?
The literal opposite man. Other than sarcasm, which I try to make VERY obvious, I am about as straightforward as it gets. Which is why I truly enjoy trolling you guys so much. Every time you respond or like a dissenting post, it brings pure joy to my day.

In fact, I have to say thank you. Without you, this board would be much less entertaining for me!

Reactions: T8KUDWN
Every time you respond or like a dissenting post, it brings pure joy to my day.
And to bring joy to others is one of my favorite things. So consider our relationship symbiotic.

PS - I have read your above sentiment several times before, which shouldn't surprise anyone, given your penchant to repeat yourself and your professed role for me as your designated stalker.

Last edited:
And bring joy to others is one of my favorite things. So consider our relationship symbiotic.

PS - I have read your above sentiment several times before, which shouldn't surprise anyone, given your penchant to repeat yourself and your professed role for me as your designated stalker.
But you are a designated stalker. He said it and he is never wrong. Just man up and accept the truth.

And bring joy to others is one of my favorite things. So consider our relationship symbiotic.

You often seem a bit lost in our exchanges, so I am sorry if I feel the need to repeat myself to you. I want you to really embrace my sincerity and I want to make sure I HAMMER it home during our correspondence.

But you are a designated stalker. He said it and he is never wrong. Just man up and accept the truth.

IF ((GIA_Poster.Skim_all_GIA_threads == TRUE) AND
(GIA-Poster.Have_@MSU158_on_Ignore == FALSE))
THEN
GIA_Poster.Is_MSU158_Stalker = TRUE;​
ENDIF

I believe that may be part of the algorithm.

Last edited:
I actually think DT did a horrible job, he seems very fake and scripted very actor like with the blinking eyes. Very much like a certain female we see on tv a lot lately, maybe just me.
Go

I actually think DT did a horrible job, he seems very fake and scripted very actor like with the blinking eyes. Very much like a certain female we see on tv a lot lately, maybe just me.
Go Hawks
You really are a special breed

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
ok st griping about Gilman?
Sounds like they don’t know how lucky they got.
I’m sure Coleman would have gotten them top 10 top 5 again but they were never seeing titles again.
Now, it’s game on.
So shut up and eat.
Good Food Reaction GIF by 60 Second Docs

ok st griping about Gilman?
Sounds like they don’t know how lucky they got.
I’m sure Coleman would have gotten them top 10 top 5 again but they were never seeing titles again.
Now, it’s game on.
So shut up and eat.
Good Food Reaction GIF by 60 Second Docs
Gilman told Smith to F off 8 years ago in a heated handshake after a dual meet. Time to move on and most have.

BINGO,
Long arms, big hands and GRIP! If all things are fairly equal I would recruit the athletes with these attributes first.

Take a look at all of the most elite wrestlers, 83% of them have these common denominators. I am dead serious when I say, if I was a recruiter I would have a tape measure and a gripper with me on the recruiting trail and visits!

Last edited:
When did the rumor of this all start and did anyone representing IA reach out to DT or did we just assume he would let us know if he wanted to be a hawk?

Does OSU have more money than us? We had to look just as attractive if not more to DT.
Oil-Money.jpg

BINGO,
Long arms, big hands and GRIP! If all things are fairly equal I would recruit the athletes with these attributes first.

Take a look at all of the most elite wrestlers, 83% of them have these common denominators. I am dead serious when I say, if I was a recruiter I would have a tape measure and a gripper with me on the recruiting trail and visits!
Grip in wrestling is huge and seldom discussed. They used to say that Danny Hodge's grip was like a vise. When he grabbed someone, they couldn't get away unless he allowed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT