ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to the Brands FLO documentary?

slowdeath

Rookie
Jan 27, 2006
Several months ago there was a trailer released by FLO focused on the Brands Bros where Royce talked about recruiting them and the "homicide scene" at their house from the brothers battling it out. The trailer has been pulled and nothing has surfaced since. Anyone know?

I did and Willie is still a douche.
Let's not get back to the bashing of Willie Saylor because he doesn't always have a lot of love for Iowa. The bottom line is, if your boycotting Flo your really just missing out on a ton of great content.

Let's not get back to the bashing of Willie Saylor because he doesn't always have a lot of love for Iowa. The bottom line is, if your boycotting Flo your really just missing out on a ton of great content.

. . . and Flo is missing out on about $150 per Iowa fan who chooses not to subscribe, annually.

Avid wrestling fans can get by just fine without Flo, if they choose not to subscribe. I'm not saying Iowa fans should or shouldn't subscribe -- that's up to each of us -- just noting that Flo misses out on revenue when we don't, and that Flo is far from a necessity for the avid fan.

. . . and Flo is missing out on about $150 per Iowa fan who chooses not to subscribe, annually.

Avid wrestling fans can get by just fine without Flo, if they choose not to subscribe. I'm not saying Iowa fans should or shouldn't subscribe -- that's up to each of us -- just noting that Flo misses out on revenue when we don't, and that Flo is far from a necessity for the avid fan.

I never said anyone should or shouldn't subscribe either, obviously you can get by with out them. They can obviously get by with out you/us too. I for one enjoy watching the different live events they carry. I can also not get all bent out of shape when Willie gets down on the Hawks, who cares what he thinks?

Reactions: edquinn06
I never said anyone should or shouldn't subscribe either, obviously you can get by with out them. They can obviously get by with out you/us too. I for one enjoy watching the different live events they carry. I can also not get all bent out of shape when Willie gets down on the Hawks, who cares what he thinks?

Fine, but you commented that Iowa fans deciding not so subscribe to Flo are just missing out on their content. That's only half of the story. Iowa fans aren't going to put Flo out of business by not subscribing, but Flo still takes a financial hit when they decide not to do so, and if a good number of them make that decision, it could end up costing Flo a pretty good chunk of change. That's all I was saying.

Furthermore, Iowa fans don't have to be "bent out of shape" about unprofessional conduct by the Flo staff to decide they don't want to subscribe. They can just decide not to support that kind of conduct with their dollars. It doesn't have to be an emotional decision -- just one based on principle.

Fine, but you commented that Iowa fans deciding not so subscribe to Flo are just missing out on their content. That's only half of the story. Iowa fans aren't going to put Flo out of business by not subscribing, but Flo still takes a financial hit when they decide not to do so, and if a good number of them make that decision, it could end up costing Flo a pretty good chunk of change. That's all I was saying.

Furthermore, Iowa fans don't have to be "bent out of shape" about unprofessional conduct by the Flo staff to decide they don't want to subscribe. They can just decide not to support that kind of conduct with their dollars. It doesn't have to be an emotional decision -- just one based on principle.
My decision is based on wanting to watch more wrestling matches than are available anywhere else. That is all.

Yea...I watch Flo, and dammit, I will not be shamed!!! ;) Seriously though, the sometimes shenanigans of one guy is not going to keep me from some good wrestling matches. But to each their own.

Reactions: Huck and Krupnyakov
I've really gotten into watching Iowa wrestling the last couple years. Grew up knowing Gable's teams were dominant, but didn't watch.

One thing I have learned is wrestling is pretty dang exciting AND suspenseful. Man, these guys have you on the edge of your seat, sometimes, when the match comes down to the wire.

A couple questions if it's okay. I still have a lot to learn.

1. Why is Iowa not as dominant anymore? No Gable? More parity?

2. Do we have what most people want in the entire staff?

3. How is recruiting. And what's the deal with this Apple Valley, MN kid.

Thanks, guys. I'm still pretty much a dummy with regards to this.

I've really gotten into watching Iowa wrestling the last couple years. Grew up knowing Gable's teams were dominant, but didn't watch.

One thing I have learned is wrestling is pretty dang exciting AND suspenseful. Man, these guys have you on the edge of your seat, sometimes, when the match comes down to the wire.

A couple questions if it's okay. I still have a lot to learn.

1. Why is Iowa not as dominant anymore? No Gable? More parity?

2. Do we have what most people want in the entire staff?

3. How is recruiting. And what's the deal with this Apple Valley, MN kid.

Thanks, guys. I'm still pretty much a dummy with regards to this.

Since nobody has responded, I'll give it a shot even though I'm sure to cause some blowback with my opinions.

1) Iowa is no longer dominant because of a few factors, but the #1 factor is what you mentioned - Gable. Gable is the greatest wrestling coach of all time and among the greatest coaches (any sport) of all time. No knock on Brands - who is a great coach - but he is not the all-time greatest coach in this sport. So, yes, that is the #1 factor. Some will say more parity, but I don't see that as being as big a factor and if you really look at it, there is not a ton more parity in the sport team wise. Others will mention Iowa HS wrestling, scholarship reductions, the way scholarships are used, etc., but IMO you got the number 1 factor right when you mentioned Gable.

2) No. I'm not of that opinion, but it seems to me that the opinion of this board is that the majority are not completely happy with the staff beyond Terry.

3) Recruiting has been very good, but not great. Although it seems to be on an uptick, but in the opinion of this board much will ride on some of the big guns over the next two years - mostly Hall and Lee. If Iowa doesn't get either Hall or Lee, I'd suspect there are going to be some unhappy campers on this board. But the reality is that neither of these guys are going to make or break any team. As far as Hall - many are calling him a once in a decade recruit, although my opinion is a bit more tempered, as we seem to have one of these kids coming every year and there are now two of these types of kids coming in the very next year (2017), lol. Again, I'll point out that he is making a big splash because of his freestyle results, and by some weird transitive logic that include Valencia and folkstyle AND freestyle results, but I could easily point out that he has also taken some losses in freestyle to kids that aren't being predicted to be 4x National Champs. So to sum up that ramble, he could be great, but will he be a 4x AA or a 4x National Champ, or neither, or something in between. TBD.

So if you weren't trolling and that was what you were looking for, hope it helps.

Last edited:
You have been causing blowback because you are a Penn State fan that has been over here everyday with your nose in every thread. Now you are trying speak for the the Iowa fan base. Is BWI that dead right now?

9.9 scholarships is the #1 reason Iowa doesn't blow everyone away anymore not The fact that Gable is retired.

Since nobody has responded, I'll give it a shot even though I'm sure to cause some blowback with my opinions.

1) Iowa is no longer dominant because of a few factors, but the #1 factor is what you mentioned - Gable. Gable is the greatest wrestling coach of all time and among the greatest coaches (any sport) of all time. No knock on Brands - who is a great coach - but he is not the all-time greatest coach in this sport. So, yes, that is the #1 factor. Some will say more parity, but I don't see that as being as big a factor and if you really look at it, there is not a ton more parity in the sport team wise. Others will mention Iowa HS wrestling, scholarship reductions, the way scholarships are used, etc., but IMO you got the number 1 factor right when you mentioned Gable.

2) No. I'm not of that opinion, but it seems to me that the opinion of this board is that the majority are not completely happy with the staff beyond Terry.

3) Recruiting has been very good, but not great. Although it seems to be on an uptick, but in the opinion of this board much will ride on some of the big guns over the next two years - mostly Hall and Lee. If Iowa doesn't get either Hall or Lee, I'd suspect there are going to be some unhappy campers on this board. But the reality is that neither of these guys are going to make or break any team. As far as Hall - many are calling him a once in a decade recruit, although my opinion is a bit more tempered, as we seem to have one of these kids coming every year and there are now two of these types of kids coming in the very next year (2017), lol. Again, I'll point out that he is making a big splash because of his freestyle results, and by some weird transitive logic that include Valencia and folkstyle AND freestyle results, but I could easily point out that he has also taken some losses in freestyle to kids that aren't being predicted to be 4x National Champs. So to sum up that ramble, he could be great, but will he be a 4x AA or a 4x National Champ, or neither, or something in between. TBD.

So if you weren't trolling and that was what you were looking for, hope it helps.

I've often said that three important things changed at the time Gable retired that affected the future of collegiate wrestling:

1) They changed the scoring system at nationals to increase the value of 3rd through 8th places. Gave a boost to several programs that were very good but didn't have a dominant wrestler. Pretty much made Minnesota's 2001 championship when they had 10 all-americans but no champs. Under the new scoring, they won by 13 points over runner-up Iowa. Under the old scoring, they would have won by one point, but you never know how the closeness of the race would have affected particular matches. In any case, the scoring change had a lasting effect.

2) Many more programs were being led by Gable disciples who were teaching the "Iowa style." J Robinson certainly started that before Gable retired, but it became more and more evident with Barry Davis, Mark Johnson, Keith Mourlam, Tom Ryan, Greg Randall, etc. leading the effort. Just to use 2001 as an example again, the top 10 finishers at the NCAA's:

1. Minnesota - J Robinson
2. Iowa - Jim Zalesky
5. Illinois - Mark Johnson
10t. Wisconsin - Barry Davis
10t. Boise State - Greg Randall

And maybe the change when Gable retired that had the most impact --
3) Gable retired.

You have been causing blowback because you are a Penn State fan that has been over here everyday with your nose in every thread. Now you are trying speak for the the Iowa fan base. Is BWI that dead right now?

9.9 scholarships is the #1 reason Iowa doesn't blow everyone away anymore not The fact that Gable is retired.

Because I'm a PSU fan I can't express an opinion on a question that has sat idle and unanswered for four days. Well, that's your opinion.

So your opinion is that the 9.9 is the #1 reason for the lack of Iowa's continued dominance over "no Gable." Interesting. I believe it has been 9.9 since about 1990 or 1991. Before that it was 11. Not sure how long that was for or if it was relevant because it's not like Iowa won 9 out 10 championships or anything like that after 1991.

I've often said that three important things changed at the time Gable retired that affected the future of collegiate wrestling:

1) They changed the scoring system at nationals to increase the value of 3rd through 8th places. Gave a boost to several programs that were very good but didn't have a dominant wrestler. Pretty much made Minnesota's 2001 championship when they had 10 all-americans but no champs. Under the new scoring, they won by 13 points over runner-up Iowa. Under the old scoring, they would have won by one point, but you never know how the closeness of the race would have affected particular matches. In any case, the scoring change had a lasting effect.

2) Many more programs were being led by Gable disciples who were teaching the "Iowa style." J Robinson certainly started that before Gable retired, but it became more and more evident with Barry Davis, Mark Johnson, Keith Mourlam, Tom Ryan, Greg Randall, etc. leading the effort. Just to use 2001 as an example again, the top 10 finishers at the NCAA's:

1. Minnesota - J Robinson
2. Iowa - Jim Zalesky
5. Illinois - Mark Johnson
10t. Wisconsin - Barry Davis
10t. Boise State - Greg Randall

And maybe the change when Gable retired that had the most impact --
3) Gable retired.

Excellent post and agree whole-heartedly with you on #2 which I did not think of when I posted..

Gables disciples have been and are coaching all over the states. Bringing the Iowa style wrestling/coaching everywhere. The top wrestlers don't just come to IOWA anymore. With Bael coaching in the hotbed of highschool wrestling, Tom Ryan pinning down Ohio, and Zeke now in the warm weather state full of beautiful girls it will be hard to lure the top recruits to Iowa. The Dynasty Iowa has had will likely never be matched again.

Even if Gable was head coach at Iowa today that's not going to to stop the parity that has been in motion for years now.

Gables disciples have been and are coaching all over the states. Bringing the Iowa style wrestling/coaching everywhere. The top wrestlers don't just come to IOWA anymore. With Bael coaching in the hotbed of highschool wrestling, Tom Ryan pinning down Ohio, and Zeke now in the warm weather state full of beautiful girls it will be hard to lure the top recruits to Iowa. The Dynasty Iowa has had will likely never be matched again.

Even if Gable was head coach at Iowa today that's not going to to stop the parity that has been in motion for years now.

I take it you've moved on from the 9.9 argument. I don't see the parity though. The sport is still dominated by a select few - as always. The difference now is there isn't one coach who is two steps ahead of the rest. He was a superior coach AND he could also get the top wrestlers.

Of course Cael could run off 4 more in a row here and change my line of thought on that, lol.

Nope 9.9/Title IX. Parity, Gables apprentices... All contributing factors in the sport. 75% of Penn State wrestling fans didn't exist until 5 years ago. Food for thought

I bet you are so excited to see Cael run off 4 more! Talk about that on your own board! Amalone will embellish your sentiments there I'm sure

I take it you've moved on from the 9.9 argument. I don't see the parity though. The sport is still dominated by a select few - as always. The difference now is there isn't one coach who is two steps ahead of the rest. He was a superior coach AND he could also get the top wrestlers.

Of course Cael could run off 4 more in a row here and change my line of thought on that, lol.
Well if Snyder sits and it looks that way, sadly PSU will be my favorite for next year. Iowa and Oklahoma St will give them a run. Michigan is looking good next year also.

Ps if Grothus can make 141 my mind might change.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT