ADVERTISEMENT

When Iowa fires Jack Dahm....

Honestly the first call should be to Rick Heller (was at UNI, now at Indiana St. and great success). He was passed over when Dahm was hired, a bad miss at the time. He's from Iowa, is a proven coach, winner, and great recruiter. MVC is a better conference by far then Big 10 in baseball, but with the right offer I think he'd have Iowa (in a weaker conference) at the top every year. Would be interesting to see if he'd entertain an offer.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Originally posted by dachsund:
Honestly the first call should be to Rick Heller (was at UNI, now at Indiana St. and great success). He was passed over when Dahm was hired, a bad miss at the time. He's from Iowa, is a proven coach, winner, and great recruiter. MVC is a better conference by far then Big 10 in baseball, but with the right offer I think he'd have Iowa (in a weaker conference) at the top every year. Would be interesting to see if he'd entertain an offer.
From the little research I just did, it appears Heller is paid $76,000 per season. Currently, Dahm makes $101,000. So, if you offered Heller about what Dahm makes you may certainly have a chance, if that's what he is looking for.

I've thought about Heller too, but why would he leave Indiana State? They went 41-19 last year, while they are 17-13 this year. I think Heller would be a homerun hire. I am just not sure he'd leave Indiana State for Iowa. I think Iowa would have to guarantee a serious commitment to baseball for him to do that. Would Barta do that? I am not convinced Barta cares about winning in any sport.

I think he would...but would take more then Dahm makes and serious commitment. The reason I think he'd entertain it is he could really own the Big 10...much easier conference to win in vs. the MVC and he's done well there. There still is an allure of a Big 10 school, with right backing and commitment I have no doubt he'd turn us into a big time winner. The guy has won at every single level...tireless worker, recruiter and great game coach.

Heller's the guy. Great fund raiser and person. Good eye for talent. Can keep Iowa talent in the state.

i posted this on the OT board.

I know Rick. IMO I don't think he would come back.

$ would be a lure, sure but there are many reasons ISU is a better job

-weather. temps are much nicer there. it is night and day different. plus with an all turf IF, they can practice outside yr round if it isn't cold enough and sometimes they can.

-facilities. no.comparison. plus they have a huge indoor, baseball/softball only facility. it isn't like wichitas but it works

-recruiting wise, this is one of the top reasons. they get 1 or 2 recruits from THEIR county each yr. as they continue ton succeed that will improve. they are in a hotbed of talent for a midwest area.

-fan/community support is pretty good. always has been.

-A.D. this huge. their guy is a baseball guy. great support.

-MVC is better than B10. not to mention the weather is better as I believe all of the MVC schoola are farther south than the southern most B10 school. if I am not mistaken. edit: creighton might be further north.

lots of reasons for rick to not come back. money and his home state are only a few that would be attractive.

OTOH, I can't think of many other better candidates for the job though. he is still grtting iowa kids out there.

remember, Dahm had a lot of success at creighton. I am sure that would be a factor in RHs decision too.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Reactions: funnyfletcher
"...remember, Dahm had a lot of success at creighton..."

Ah, the old Todd Lickliter argument.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
The first call should be to Cal Eldred, gotta see if he is interested at least
Cal has pretty much washed his hands of the Iowa Baseball program due to bitterness over how he feels Scott Broghamer was treated during his time as coach. Dahm has reached out to him numerous times to become a bigger part of the program and Cal has respectfully declined. Definitely some bad blood between Cal and a couple folks in the Athletic Department. It would probably require those individuals to no longer be involved in Iowa Athletics before Cal would consider re-entering the fold.

I can't disagree with your points terrehawk, but I do think if Hawks were serious about going after him, $$ and a commitment to facilities might be attractive. Winning in the B10 and dominating that conference compared to the battle year in and year out of the MVC might be attractive too. I think he'd have a better chance at being #1 each year in the B10. I can't argue with your statements though. Iowa really screwed up when they interviewed him and picked Dahm instead. I know that Heller has a bad taste in his mouth from his first experience with Iowa too....could be a factor as well.

Dahm was somewhat run off by Creighton, I don't remember reasons why. At the time Heller had beaten Dahm quite a few times when he was the head guy at UNI, he got an interview, but never a call back and they hired Dahm. I could never quite figure out that one.

Was it Barta or Bowlsby who was AD when Dahm was hired? I assume Fred Mims had a major say in it as well. Not sure what his role is these days.

Mims handled the whole baseball hiring when Dahm was hired, believe it was Bowlsby who was AD, but Mims ran the whole thing.

Originally posted by 73chief:
Cal has pretty much washed his hands of the Iowa Baseball program due to bitterness over how he feels Scott Broghamer was treated during his time as coach. Dahm has reached out to him numerous times to become a bigger part of the program and Cal has respectfully declined. Definitely some bad blood between Cal and a couple folks in the Athletic Department. It would probably require those individuals to no longer be involved in Iowa Athletics before Cal would consider re-entering the fold.
I am not too familiar with the Broghammer era, but from what I've heard Iowa was about 10x worse under him than they are Dahm.

I believe dahm had some success with CU. I don't recall exactly how much. CU does have pretty high standards and that prob has more to do with his leaving than any failure.

I am pretty sure they were t least decent under dahm

Creighton Baseball Coach Jack Dahm Resigns

Release: 06/27/2003

OMAHA, Neb. - Jack Dahm, Creighton's all-time winningest baseball coach, resigned Friday after 18 years with the program as a player, assistant coach and head coach. Dahm indicated he will begin exploring other opportunities both on and off the field.
The Missouri Valley Conference Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2002, Dahm finishes his career with a 283-276-2 record. Dahm's clubs advanced to the NCAA Regionals in both 1999 and 2000, while he was as an assistant coach on CU's 1991 squad that reached the College World Series.
"I've met with Bruce Rasmussen a couple times in the last few months and I believe this is the best decision for me, my family and the Creighton baseball program," said Dahm. "I appreciate everything Creighton has done for me in the last 18 years and will always be a supporter and fan of Creighton Athletics."
"Jack has been involved with Creighton baseball for the past 18 years, first as a player, then as an assistant coach, and for the past 10 years as the Head Baseball Coach," said Creighton Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen. "He has made many positive contributions to Creighton University and our baseball program during these 18 years. We thank him for his tremendous commitment to Creighton University and we wish him well in all of his future endeavors."
Dahm came to Creighton in 1986 to play under Jim Hendry and spent four years as a student-athlete (1986-89), four as an assistant coach (1990-93) and the last 10 as head coach (1994-2003). He passed Hendry to become the program's all-time winningest coach on May 17 with a 2-0 win over Bradley in the regular-season finale.
In his tenure, Dahm had 17 players drafted in the Major League draft and mentored seven Freshmen All-Americans and two All-Americans. His players also earned 16 first-team all-MVC accolades and 32 MVC Scholar-Athlete honors. He also coached nine Academic All-District picks and three Academic All-Americans as his teams consistently earned GPA's around 3.0.
Dahm also played a large role in the planning, designing and raising money for the $3.5 million, newly renovated CU Sports Complex.
A member of the College World Series Board of Directors, Dahm also served on the American Baseball Coaches Association Change of Season Committee and the NCAA Division I Regional Advisory Committee.
"There are a lot of student-athletes, administrators, coaches and supporters around town I want to thank for all they've done for me and the program," said Dahm. "The program is in very good shape and has some talented players returning. I look forward to the program's future's success."
Rasmussen said that associate head coach Ed Servais would serve as the program's interim head coach.

I thought Dahm had gotten Eldred to foot the entire bill for the lights a few years ago.

How about Marc Rardin? He built arguably the best JUCO program in the nation. He understands what it takes to win at a high level in Iowa.

Originally posted by Row55:
I thought Dahm had gotten Eldred to foot the entire bill for the lights a few years ago.
That donation was made prior to Jack Dahm becoming coach.

Originally posted by 73chief:

I am not too familiar with the Broghammer era, but from what I've heard Iowa was about 10x worse under him than they are Dahm.
Scott was Cal's high school coach, and followed him to Iowa when Scott was offered an assistant coaching spot on Duane Banks' staff. Cal and Scott are very very close and Cal credits Scott with all the success he was able to have in baseball.

You are right, my fault. Rardin has done a great job, 2 titles in 3 years.

Itll be hard jumping from JUCO to D1. totally different rules(i.e. practice time, recruiting)

Great players don't always make great coaches - does Cal have any coaching experience?

We should hire George Gwozdecky and set our sights on B1G hockey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT