ADVERTISEMENT

Where there’s smoke…..

bored waiting GIF

If Fran was indeed thinking of bolting to another program, don't you think Patrick would have gone with him and not entered the portal?
Does Devries's son have to go to the the portal to follow his father to West Virginia? Just asking. If Fran goes maybe we'll find out on Monday.
Actually, sons/daughters do have to use the transfer portal to follow their parents to their new coaching jobs. As long as their on scholarship and not a walk-on, I'm assuming.

Same thing happened with Deion and his son(s) when he left Jackson St to take the Colorado job. His son(s) used the portal to transfer from JSU to Colorado.

If you're The Family McCaffery, do you wait until the most inopportune time and then announce you're resignation just to stick it to the fans that you feel treated your family so horridly?
Wait until the coaching merry-go-round is done and the dust is settling and then step down for whatever reason (not like he can't live for a year or two without income) and sit back and laugh?

Just spit-balling.

Fran needs to adjust to two things (IMO) to continue as Iowas coach; the portal & a defensive coach who has total control.

I can see Fran doing 2 things. Letting out a big sigh and saying f%#k it I've done it this long and I'm too tired to change anything..
Guess that's more then 2 things.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
If you're The Family McCaffery, do you wait until the most inopportune time and then announce you're resignation just to stick it to the fans that you feel treated your family so horridly?
Wait until the coaching merry-go-round is done and the dust is settling and then step down for whatever reason (not like he can't live for a year or two without income) and sit back and laugh?

Just spit-balling.
If he's looking to coach again after leaving, extreme pettiness is not gonna be a good look to a future employer.

Yeah, Fran could be a lot more things.

Bottom line is, the Hawkeyes need to go in a different leadership direction with the program now. The fan base has hit the malaise point and once that happens, there’s really no coming back without something like a final four run or conference championship. Not happening next year. Let’s hope Fran simply does the right thing and accepts a separation agreement in order to give the program a chance from slipping any further.
The same could be said for Kirk.

Just spit-balling.
My question would be, will there be a lawsuit at some point? If there is, I would guess they would settle out of court. How would that impact his finances going forward?

The same could be said for Kirk.
To a lesser degree I suppose.

Football is still king and outside of the message board fanatics and social media trolls, the common fan is still showing interest and have some faith the program remains competitive ….no terminal malaise yet.

To a lesser degree I suppose.

Football is still king and outside of the message board fanatics and social media trolls, the common fan is still showing interest and have some faith the program remains competitive ….no terminal malaise yet.
I'm no longer in Iowa, so I don't know the overall feeling towards the program outside of what I read on here and a couple of buddies that still live in IC, both of which don't watch Iowa FB any longer because of being fed up with Iowa's anemic offense and coaching decisions.

Huh? Kirk is still selling out Kinnick Stadium and is 9th in the country in wins among power conference schools over the past 5 seasons. Seems kinda crazy to say the two coaches are the same.
Yea. Kirk may have thrown away some chances to do something really special at Iowa with Brian at the helm of the offense. But the football program has been immensivley more successful than anything with men’s basketball.

Back to the OP I wonder if PMac's departure and Jack not playing here is not going to be a relief for Fran. No doubt there is a lot of pressure on a coach's son because that added element is really heavy. I think it worked for Connor because he obviously was a tough-minded kid and not only set an example for everyone else on the team but I am sure was able to take what Fran dished out to him. Fran and Connor both knew it and accepted it and thrived with that. PMac on the other hand, by all accounts, is just a soft and mentally weak kid. You just can't treat mentally weak people the same as tough-minded people, and this had to have forced Fran into balancing between being a father and a coach. It is a terrible place to be for Fran because for this to work his kid had to be a leader in all aspects (especially as a senior) and set the example of hard work and discipline in order to get the rest of the team to buy in, and with PMac that just didn't happen. So PMac just kind of ended up being dead weight on a team that probably saw him not having to be as accountable as Fran expected everyone else. Ever since the last PMac mental breakdown it looks like to me that Fran just kind of laid off of him and let him do his thing, while on the other hand he has pushed with Tony, Josh and Owen. I don't know anything about Jack but I would say after the negative experience with PMac that Fran nor his wife nor Jack wanted to have any part of that.

Now Fran can get back to coaching and not having to worry about it dealing with any of that.

Huh? Kirk is still selling out Kinnick Stadium and is 9th in the country in wins among power conference schools over the past 5 seasons. Seems kinda crazy to say the two coaches are the same.
I can't find where Iowa's wins rank over the last 5 years in BB, but I think you would be surprised where they rank. I did find the 10 year rank and they are in the top 50. I'd also argue, the BB team plays a much harder schedule than the FB team does year to year.

I'm no longer in Iowa, so I don't know the overall feeling towards the program outside of what I read on here and a couple of buddies that still live in IC, both of which don't watch Iowa FB any longer because of being fed up with Iowa's anemic offense and coaching decisions.
Not saying it's all peaches-n-cream with the fball program as far as the fandom is concerned ...it obviously has justified critics right now. The core of the fanbase is still onboard with Kirk however.

Reactions: SI_NYC
A lot of families are one bad break from housing insecurity.
You must not have heard of (OR care about) Jesus' Sermon On The Mount.
Housing insecurity. 😂😂😂

They also must have food insecurity, clothing insecurity and car insecurity.

Give them fish or teach them how to fish?

They all had a chance to learn to bait a hook with their free public education but I guess we should just give them everything, legal or illegal residents of course.

It is hard to find good estmate of current Marquette basketball revenue, but they were spending $10 milllion a year in 2010 and revenue was 13 million for mens basketbal. In 2023, with inflation, revenue might be approaching $18 million or so.

University of Iowa...also hard to find a breakout for just mens basketball. The Athletic department now is flush with cash...Ticket sales at carver are maybe around $4 million/year? Iowa gets a payout from B1G of about $50 million from Big10...how much is mens basketball...maybe 25%? Can't make a good estimate without a good figure for TV money. If $12.5 milion for TV is close, thant $12.5 million for mens B-ball + $4 million for Carver attendance= $16.5 million.. So we very well could be pulling in less money than Marquette for mens basketball. The athletic department as a whole pulled in $151 million in 2022...2023 then probably north of $160 million.

The Big10 has sucked at basketball for long time, so that probably means less revenue for B1G 10 in from the NCAA tourney.

The Iclub seems to be generating close to $17 million in donations per year for the athletic department. Iowa fans need to cut back on Iclub donations and donate more towards NIL if they want better teams. If all it took was $1.2 million to fund ISU's NIL built team, it really isn't a lot of money at $1.2 milloin to fund a good B-ball team....but Iowa lacks leadership...that is one of the faults I find with Fran...guy is not driving NIL donations...need a better marketer at coach/guy with energy/charisma. Also hard for Fran to sell the team when he's got 14 year track record of decent, above average, but meh for March.

It’s not hard to find for Iowa. It’s all in this link. Marquette isn’t listed in the link because they’re a private institution.

Iowa men’s basketball:
Ticket sales: $3.8 million
B1G distribution (basketball/non media): $450,000
Media rights: $5.1 million
NCAA Distribution: $2.1 million
Third Party Benefits: $300,000
Donations: $500,000
In-Kind Contributions: $370,000
Parking/Novetly/concessions: $500,000
Licensing/royalties: $1.6 million
Basketball camps: $200,000
Restricted endowments/investments: $200,000
Other revenue: $200,000

Total Revenue men’s basketball: $15 million which is 11th in the B1G

Total Operating Expenses: $10.7 million which is 10th in the B1G

Profit/loss: $4.3 million which is 10th in the B1G

Men’s basketball revenue/expenses

I'd like to see Bob Huggins as coach. He recruits, plays great defense and is always in games because if his defense.
Yes has some baggage with his DUI's but he's sobered up and wants to coach again for several more years.
Huggins is 70 years old (technically). Add in the drinking and being slightly overweight for many years and his adjusted age is probably closer to 80

Housing insecurity. 😂😂😂

They also must have food insecurity, clothing insecurity and car insecurity.

Give them fish or teach them how to fish?

They all had a chance to learn to bait a hook with their free public education but I guess we should just give them everything, legal or illegal residents of course.
If you think public education is the key to success in our society, you have a tremendously naive worldview.

Kirk has Top 10 finishes, 2 Conference Championships, multiple West Championships and has a respectable Bowl record , Fran has 4 TOTAL NCAA Tourney wins and has NEVER sniffed a Sweet 16, Fran isn't qualified to pick up Kirk's gum wrappers

Kirk has Top 10 finishes, 2 Conference Championships, multiple West Championships and has a respectable Bowl record , Fran has 4 TOTAL NCAA Tourney wins and has NEVER sniffed a Sweet 16, Fran isn't qualified to pick up Kirk's gum wrappers
Yeah let’s hype up those B1G West championships! Let’s not talk about how that division was worse than the Big XII North all those years ago.

NIL hasn't ruined college sports. The lack of rules has. JBo and his colleagues were right: How can everyone earn big bucks except the players? It made no sense, it was unfair, but it came with no regulations. Paying players was inevitable. Doing it without any rules was not. Thank your NCAA for screwing things up again.
They were earning big bucks. They just don’t like that it’s not cash. Most college athletes make more than a teacher with a masters teaching 35+ years. They were making 3x the average US income at 18. Set up for a lifetime of free passes, jobs, and connections.
They were truly oppressed.

What the hell.
Kirk is a hall of famer. His team has a legit chance to make the playoffs next year.
Fran has a legit shot at nothing next year. He lost to 6/10 lower seeds in the first round of the btt the last 10 years.
I was referring to apathy directed towards the FB team from Iowa fans.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

Just spit-balling.
How do you know he’s not sitting back and laughing now?

I was referring to apathy directed towards the FB team from Iowa fans.
You could argue there is a little apathy for Iowa football. Relative to Iowa Men’s basketball, Iowa football excitement is at a fever pitch. It’s not comparable.

Just spit-balling.
If Fran did that he would be completely validating every bit of criticism he’s gotten. I tend to think if he’s leaving this year, he’ll do as some suggested and wait till after the women get knocked out to announce it…though I’m not sure why.

That said, you have to believe that Beth knows if that’s his plan. If she doesn’t have a shortlist now, and perhaps is even making a few phone calls, she’s derelict in her duties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT