ADVERTISEMENT

With ‘Swine Republic’ book, University of Iowa’s Chris Jones continues to stir the pot

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Several years into an academic career, University of Iowa research engineer Chris Jones realized his research and journal articles weren’t going to lead to improvements in Iowa’s water quality.

He decided to start writing about why many of Iowa’s lakes aren’t safe for swimming and about rivers and streams whisking soil and harmful levels of nutrients downstream.

“For me to rationalize being a public employee, if I couldn’t get them better water quality, I could at least give them the truth about it,” Jones said in an interview with The Gazette. “The environmental problems we have here are not unique to Iowa. What is unique to Iowa, I think, is the death grip the industry and the culture of agriculture has on the discourse about these problems.”

Advertisement

Jones, whose wry, often-provocative essays have appeared on a UI blog since 2015, now has written a book called “Swine Republic: Struggles with the Truth about Agriculture and Water Quality.” The book, which includes 69 essays — including several new to readers — goes on sale May 19 through Ice Cube Press.

Early work for ag sector​

Jones retires from the UI on May 16 after eight years. He was paid $126,631 last fiscal year, state records show.

Before coming to the university, Jones, 62, worked as a laboratory supervisor at Des Moines Water Works from 2003 to 2011 and then as an environmental scientist for the Iowa Soybean Association from 2011 to 2015.

His work at the UI includes studying how nitrate and phosphorus wash from farm fields into waterways. Over the years, he’s overseen water sensors installed on Iowa’s streams and rivers to measure nitrate loads and concentration.

Sensor data feed directly into the Iowa Water Quality Information System, which has an interactive map online.

Nitrates in drinking water have been linked to cancer, rashes, hair loss, birth defects and other health problems, including infant methemoglobinemia, or blue baby syndrome. High levels of nitrate and phosphorus spur growth of toxic algae, which has been an ongoing problem at some Iowa beaches.

“This is a quality-of-life issue for people,” Jones said. “We see people who vacation in Minnesota or Colorado. We could have those types of experiences here in Iowa if we were able to clean up our act.”

Essays tackle public land, farm incentives, manure​

In his essay called “No Country For Old Men,” included in “Swine Republic,” Jones talks about hitting the road in a 35-year-old camper during the COVID-19 pandemic. He compared Iowa’s 3 percent of public land with that of Arkansas.

“Somehow this state (Arkansas), with 30% less GDP, 10% fewer people and 15% less area, is able to afford 10 times more public land than Iowa,” Jones writes.

“ … If you’ve been to an Iowa park any time during the pandemic, you’ve seen the situation here in Iowa is disgraceful. All summer long, campgrounds, boat launches, the picnic areas and trails were busier than ever. Getting a weekend campsite was nearly impossible at times.”

Iowa agricultural groups, including the Farm Bureau, have lobbied for legislation to make it harder for Iowans to donate their land for public use and conservation.

In “They Break It, You Buy It,” Jones explains how taxpayers have paid billions of dollars for incentives to encourage farmers to adopt conservation practices to reduce harmful runoff when a few basic regulations — such as no application of fertilizer in the fall — would do the trick.

Jones and four other scientists published a paper in 2019 that showed farmers in two Western Iowa watersheds applied fertilizer at more than double the recommended rate, causing higher nitrate levels in streams there.

“The calculus on this is very simple: while the farmer absorbs the consequences of too little nitrogen, the public must absorb the consequences of too much, with these latter consequences being degraded water,” Jones writes in the book.

Jones’s most-read essay, “Iowa’s Real Population,” which got more than 7,000 page views after it was first published March 14, 2019, takes the amount of manure from Iowa farm animals and converts it into what would be produced by a human population. A map shows Iowa watersheds with enough manure to match the human populations of New York City, Paris and Los Angeles.

'Caustic or sardonic’​

The essays often use analogies to help non-scientists understand the scale of water quality challenges. Jones often mixes in puns, jokes and cultural references like “Fifty Shades of Brown,” the title of an essay about Iowa’s animal population compared with other states.

“I do try to inject humor into almost all of them,” Jones said. The humor provides a bit of a buffer against opponents, he said. And there are a fair number of opponents — or at least people who disagree with some of his opinions.

In 2021, Iowa Rep. Chad Ingels, R-Randalia, wrote to UI officials, including the then-director of IIHR, to complain about an opinion piece Jones wrote for Civil Eats saying low-income and minority Iowans are disproportionately affected by poor water quality.

Ingels disagreed with the implication that farmers are racist for not doing more to improve water quality, he told The Gazette in 2021.

Even some people who agree with Jones don’t always like his tone. But Jones doesn’t apologize.

“When I hear people say I’m too caustic or sardonic, I always know they haven’t read Aldo …” Jones writes in the introduction to the book. He’s referring to Aldo Leopold, a Burlington native world-renowned for his work as a conservationist, educator and writer. The Leopold Center of Sustainable Agriculture at Iowa State University is named after the man who died 1948.

“At times I am almost ashamed to admit that this book exists largely because so many can’t bring themselves to say that grass is green, and the sky is blue. At least not in public, anyway,” Jones writes.

“Swine Republic” likely won’t be Jones’s last book. He’d like to write about the Driftless area, a topographical region in southwestern Wisconsin, southeastern Minnesota, northeastern Iowa and the extreme northwest corner of Illinois.

‘Swine Republic’ book release May 19​

Ice Cube Press will host a book release event for Chris Jones’s “Swine Republic: Struggles with the Truth about Agriculture and Water Quality” at 7 p.m. May 19 at Prairie Lights in Iowa City.

People who order the book from icecubepress.com now will receive signed copies with their orders. The book also will be available for sale at Prairie Lights, Barnes & Noble, Ice Cube Press website and other sites, including Amazon.

I smile at the charges that Jones is playing the race card over water quality. Poor, rural Iowans suffer the most from a lack of access to clean water. The GQP won’t address this, so they scream RACISIM in order to activate the rubes as a deflection

I don't doubt the water is shit - often literally - but I think he's missing the mark with this comparison to Arkansas:

"“Somehow this state (Arkansas), with 30% less GDP, 10% fewer people and 15% less area, is able to afford 10 times more public land than Iowa,” Jones writes."

I'd guess if Iowa prioritized public land, it would come at an expense of GDP. Maybe not though, maybe more public land and cleaner recreational areas would actually attract people to a state that is for the most part not worth visiting.

Reactions: lucas80
I don't doubt the water is shit - often literally - but I think he's missing the mark with this comparison to Arkansas:

"“Somehow this state (Arkansas), with 30% less GDP, 10% fewer people and 15% less area, is able to afford 10 times more public land than Iowa,” Jones writes."

I'd guess if Iowa prioritized public land, it would come at an expense of GDP. Maybe not though, maybe more public land and cleaner recreational areas would actually attract people to a state that is for the most part not worth visiting.

The problem for Iowa is that in the long run commodity crops are a loser. Ethanol is a dead end technology going nowhere.

The problem for Iowa is that in the long run commodity crops are a loser. Ethanol is a dead end technology going nowhere.

I see, is that reflected in farm land prices or is there any other reason to believe that Iowa agriculture is in trouble beyond you saying so?

Keep in mind, us taxpayers in Iowa asked for 5/8 of each penny of sales tax to go for cleaner water and more open spaces. We are still waiting 8 years later for it to be implemented.
Arkansas has great parks. I'd give my left nut for Iowa to utilize it's spaces like Arkansas does. Tell me an expanded Pikes Peak State Park with better hiking trails, a mountain bike trail, and a lodge overlooking the Mississippi wouldn't be a big draw.

Keep in mind, us taxpayers in Iowa asked for 5/8 of each penny of sales tax to go for cleaner water and more open spaces. We are still waiting 8 years later for it to be implemented.
Arkansas has great parks. I'd give my left nut for Iowa to utilize it's spaces like Arkansas does. Tell me an expanded Pikes Peak State Park with better hiking trails, a mountain bike trail, and a lodge overlooking the Mississippi wouldn't be a big draw.

Yeah, well, if you put money towards clean water, that would be like admitting that there is a problem.... which is not acceptable.

I see, is that reflected in farm land prices or is there any other reason to believe that Iowa agriculture is in trouble beyond you saying so?

I would not say its in trouble...its just that there is no growth to it. it is what it is. Ethanol is going nowhere.

The land prices are not a good guide. Take away those subsides and lets see what they are after 5 years.

How about expanding the Neal Smith thing into a Tallgrass Prairie National Park? Iowa doesn't have one. That would do far more for Iowa's economy than an equal amount of row crops.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
It’s tough to hear University of Iowa research engineer Chris Jones describe how he feels about the abrupt end to his career amid controversy over his must-read blog detailing the state’s failure to clean up our dirty water.

Republican Sens. Dan Zumbach and Tom Shipley made their displeasure known to the UI about providing a university platform for Jones and his hard-edge essays. After all, if the truth gets out, who will believe all the ag industry platitudes about how much it cares about the environment?

Jones agreed to move his blog. But in the end, he chose to retire.

Advertisement

“Well, I’m sad the way things have ended,” Jones said during a Zoom call this past week viewed by nearly 80 people, including members of the Iowa Writers Collaborative, journalists and others who care about the declining state of Iowa’s environment. It’s a testament to the importance of his voice that he could draw a crowd on a Monday at midday.

“I feel like I failed,” Jones said. “I took your money, and the water isn’t better.”

God knows those of us who write about water quality in Iowa understand that feeling. We throw our most powerful prose into the stream of public discourse. But after a splash, the impact fades into the current and nothing changes. Meanwhile, politically powerful groups, politicians and companies pushing for a nitrate-laden status quo just get more powerful.

Of course, Jones did not fail. He spent years crunching data and thoughtfully explaining what it means to the rest of us, with conviction, authority, and humor. It’s our so-called leadership that has failed us, in both parties. We didn’t listen.

Republicans are beholden to a donor base filled with hog barons, agribusinesses and large farm organizations such as the Farm Bureau. On their behalf they’ve resisted taking meaningful steps to improve our water, set any sensible rules or stop farming practices we know are harmful. GOP leaders have handed the state’s environmental regulatory system over to agriculture lock, stock and barrel.

Democrats talk a better game but are too timid to acknowledge the damaging environmental impacts of our addiction to ethanol, nor will they take on an ineffective voluntary system of conservation that has done far too little to reduce nitrates and other pollutants flowing into waterways.

Opinion Newsletter Signup​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox daily

“It's crazy. But yet look at any TV commercial for any Democrat running for national office. What are they doing? They put on their farm garb, right? And they stroll across a farmyard with some millionaire farmer and talk about ethanol. And so to think that Democrats are not culpable in all this is totally wrong,” Jones said.

But it was Republicans in charge of the Legislature who recently voted to defund the system of 66 river and stream water quality sensors that Jones has used to conduct his research. The GOP budget yanks away $500,000 needed to operate the system and eliminated code language directing the Nutrient Research Center at Iowa State University to collaborate with UI to fund the network. Zumbach led the charge.

Jones said the network will likely continue to operate for the next several months. After that, who knows? Either Iowa State will decide to defy the Legislature’s vendetta and fund the network. Or maybe another organization will create a new network. But Jones estimates that would take $4 million for equipment and $400,000 annually to maintain the sensors.

“The information, it's public information. It's available to the public. But future data collection is definitely in peril,” Jones said.

Jones said these actions are all about controlling the message.

For example, Jones points to the Agribusiness Association of Iowa, with a membership that, “consists of over 1,100 business locations across the state that supply feed, seed, crop protection chemicals, grain, fertilizer, equipment and additional products and services that benefit agriculture, as a whole,” according to the group’s website. It has an Enrich Iowa Nutrient Research and Education Council that collects some data and measures progress toward Nutrient Reduction Strategy goals, Jones said.

“I think that's part of what's happening here. They want to get control of the message. And so it's not so much the sensors and it's not so much the blog, it's the fact that all of this over here (at UI) is creating a message about progress toward water quality objectives that conflicts with what the industry wants to communicate to the public,” Jones said.

What’s really going on is many streams and rivers in western and southern Iowa, flowing through deep, eroded trenches and barely able to sustain aquatic life thanks to over-engineering by agriculture, are, Jones contends, too far gone to save.

“Now, in northeast Iowa and east central Iowa, we do have streams that still have some Integrity,” Jones said. “And so think about the Turkey River, for example. The Upper Iowa River, the Maquoketa, the Wapsie and the upper part of the Cedar. I think those watersheds all are salvageable. And so that's where we really need to focus our expenditure of public money, in my estimation.”

But saving what we can is going to take a massive, systemic change.

“So we have this system, the corn-soybean system, our entire landscape has been engineered, right? So we've straightened the streams. We've installed well over 2 million miles of drainage tile to lower the water table. We've removed all the perennial vegetation and we've added these enormous numbers of animals,” said Jones, who once estimated livestock in Iowa produces waste equivalent to 170 million people.

“And so to think we can come in and put diapers or Band-Aids on this and that's automatically going to deliver the water quality we want for the Iowa citizens is a fantasy. It's a fantasy. And people in my circle know that. We know that. And that's not something that any of us is very anxious to talk about. Because then you call to question the entire system,” Jones said.

We should all hope Jones keeps on questioning the system. He has a new book, “The Swine Republic,” and a new online site to find his latest writings.

We deserve the truth about our water. Don’t let interests profiting from fantasies and lies tell you otherwise.

(319) 398-8262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

It’s tough to hear University of Iowa research engineer Chris Jones describe how he feels about the abrupt end to his career amid controversy over his must-read blog detailing the state’s failure to clean up our dirty water.

Republican Sens. Dan Zumbach and Tom Shipley made their displeasure known to the UI about providing a university platform for Jones and his hard-edge essays. After all, if the truth gets out, who will believe all the ag industry platitudes about how much it cares about the environment?

Jones agreed to move his blog. But in the end, he chose to retire.

Advertisement

“Well, I’m sad the way things have ended,” Jones said during a Zoom call this past week viewed by nearly 80 people, including members of the Iowa Writers Collaborative, journalists and others who care about the declining state of Iowa’s environment. It’s a testament to the importance of his voice that he could draw a crowd on a Monday at midday.

“I feel like I failed,” Jones said. “I took your money, and the water isn’t better.”

God knows those of us who write about water quality in Iowa understand that feeling. We throw our most powerful prose into the stream of public discourse. But after a splash, the impact fades into the current and nothing changes. Meanwhile, politically powerful groups, politicians and companies pushing for a nitrate-laden status quo just get more powerful.

Of course, Jones did not fail. He spent years crunching data and thoughtfully explaining what it means to the rest of us, with conviction, authority, and humor. It’s our so-called leadership that has failed us, in both parties. We didn’t listen.

Republicans are beholden to a donor base filled with hog barons, agribusinesses and large farm organizations such as the Farm Bureau. On their behalf they’ve resisted taking meaningful steps to improve our water, set any sensible rules or stop farming practices we know are harmful. GOP leaders have handed the state’s environmental regulatory system over to agriculture lock, stock and barrel.

Democrats talk a better game but are too timid to acknowledge the damaging environmental impacts of our addiction to ethanol, nor will they take on an ineffective voluntary system of conservation that has done far too little to reduce nitrates and other pollutants flowing into waterways.

Opinion Newsletter Signup​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox daily

“It's crazy. But yet look at any TV commercial for any Democrat running for national office. What are they doing? They put on their farm garb, right? And they stroll across a farmyard with some millionaire farmer and talk about ethanol. And so to think that Democrats are not culpable in all this is totally wrong,” Jones said.

But it was Republicans in charge of the Legislature who recently voted to defund the system of 66 river and stream water quality sensors that Jones has used to conduct his research. The GOP budget yanks away $500,000 needed to operate the system and eliminated code language directing the Nutrient Research Center at Iowa State University to collaborate with UI to fund the network. Zumbach led the charge.

Jones said the network will likely continue to operate for the next several months. After that, who knows? Either Iowa State will decide to defy the Legislature’s vendetta and fund the network. Or maybe another organization will create a new network. But Jones estimates that would take $4 million for equipment and $400,000 annually to maintain the sensors.

“The information, it's public information. It's available to the public. But future data collection is definitely in peril,” Jones said.

Jones said these actions are all about controlling the message.

For example, Jones points to the Agribusiness Association of Iowa, with a membership that, “consists of over 1,100 business locations across the state that supply feed, seed, crop protection chemicals, grain, fertilizer, equipment and additional products and services that benefit agriculture, as a whole,” according to the group’s website. It has an Enrich Iowa Nutrient Research and Education Council that collects some data and measures progress toward Nutrient Reduction Strategy goals, Jones said.

“I think that's part of what's happening here. They want to get control of the message. And so it's not so much the sensors and it's not so much the blog, it's the fact that all of this over here (at UI) is creating a message about progress toward water quality objectives that conflicts with what the industry wants to communicate to the public,” Jones said.

What’s really going on is many streams and rivers in western and southern Iowa, flowing through deep, eroded trenches and barely able to sustain aquatic life thanks to over-engineering by agriculture, are, Jones contends, too far gone to save.

“Now, in northeast Iowa and east central Iowa, we do have streams that still have some Integrity,” Jones said. “And so think about the Turkey River, for example. The Upper Iowa River, the Maquoketa, the Wapsie and the upper part of the Cedar. I think those watersheds all are salvageable. And so that's where we really need to focus our expenditure of public money, in my estimation.”

But saving what we can is going to take a massive, systemic change.

“So we have this system, the corn-soybean system, our entire landscape has been engineered, right? So we've straightened the streams. We've installed well over 2 million miles of drainage tile to lower the water table. We've removed all the perennial vegetation and we've added these enormous numbers of animals,” said Jones, who once estimated livestock in Iowa produces waste equivalent to 170 million people.

“And so to think we can come in and put diapers or Band-Aids on this and that's automatically going to deliver the water quality we want for the Iowa citizens is a fantasy. It's a fantasy. And people in my circle know that. We know that. And that's not something that any of us is very anxious to talk about. Because then you call to question the entire system,” Jones said.

We should all hope Jones keeps on questioning the system. He has a new book, “The Swine Republic,” and a new online site to find his latest writings.

We deserve the truth about our water. Don’t let interests profiting from fantasies and lies tell you otherwise.

(319) 398-8262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com
He is so right about streams in the western half of the state. Drainage ditches might even be a charitable descriptor.

Like I said, its going to take deaths by toxic algae to actually get anything done. It will happen, but it will cost more and could have been avoided.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT