ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA, is it a thing now? Or is it a grab at the CC effect?

BlIIlken2

HR All-American
Nov 23, 2021
Will it sustain? Seems like media folks just going with the hot story.

(I don’t care much for basketball, especially pro basketball so genuinely curious)

I was surprised at how bad the first games was. It looked like a bunch of players trying to get theirs. Like a team of AAU players playing "me ball".

I said before that basically we will know in 2 years.

After 2 years either CC is a fad that will be mostly forgotten about or she's someone who will greatly improve upon the attention paid to the WNBA as a whole.

I’ve already watched more WNBA basketball in one night than I have in my lifetime. I also plan to watch every Fever game possible.

What we can’t forget is there was a reason the Fever had the #1 pick in the draft. They were 13-27. Connecticut was 27-13. I was very disappointed in Aliyah Boston in game 1 as she only contributed 4 points. CC will fix her turnover issues. She will probably still be somewhere around 3-5 per game as she takes a lot of chances.

CC is the only reason I am watching, and it’s still must see TV for our household.

I don’t think it’s going to have staying power. To be completely honest, if Clark had played for UConn or some other teams besides Iowa, I wouldn’t have much interest in her. And I’m not sure how long my interest in the Indiana Fever is going to last.

Reactions: EasyHawk
I can't believe how jealous so many of the players are. They constantly whine about CC whether it's the coverage she gets, shoe deal, endorsements etc...

No one would watch if it weren't for CC and thanks to her revenues and salaries will go up. Girls are so dumb.

What we can’t forget is there was a reason the Fever had the #1 pick in the draft. They were 13-27. Connecticut was 27-13.
Yep. They look like a really bad team right now. But I expect that they will improve as the season goes on.
I was very disappointed in Aliyah Boston in game 1 as she only contributed 4 points. CC will fix her turnover issues. She will probably still be somewhere around 3-5 per game as she takes a lot of chances.
About half of Caitlin’s turnovers were due to throwing passes that she was used to throwing to Kate Martin and Monika Czinano. She spent several years building chemistry with those players and they knew what to expect. It seemed like several of her passes the other night caught her teammates completely off guard. That will improve with time.

I don’t think it’s going to have staying power. To be completely honest, if Clark had played for UConn or some other teams besides Iowa, I wouldn’t have much interest in her. And I’m not sure how long my interest in the Indiana Fever is going to last.

That may be you and honestly I have only caught a couple minutes of 2 games. I've never even sat through an entire game that she was playing in. To be fair that's partially because my interest in the sport of basketball I think just isn't very high right now as I don't really follow the men too closely either. I used to be into it more when I was younger.

That said those experiences are just us. Reality is she got a lot of people who arn't even Iowa fans watching.

When I went to see the eclipse in Indianapolis it was a short 1 day trip and I wore a Hawkeyes shirt in the hotel and I got stopped by like 6 different people who wanted to talk about Caitlyn Clark and the Iowa women's basketball team. These were not Iowa fans.

A couple of times I felt sort of bad because I had to admit that I didn't watch the last game which they were clearly glued to.

I watched a quarter of the opening game. That was enough. The play/style does nothing for me. I'm going to spend most of my time this summer enjoying my deck, yard work and golf.

Reactions: TJ8869 and EasyHawk
There was a basketball page on Facebook that shared a post talking about Clark's 10 turnovers on her first game. This morning on that post there were over 20,000 replies. Scrolling down the page with mostly NBA posts the highest one was about LeBron with 4,500 replies. That tells you all you need to know.

To further the point, if the WNBA style changes to some degree due to Clark (a la the Steph Curry effect), then her impact will sustain and help the WNBA's visibility/viability. This will require her shooting to translate, and less grabbing on defense (quicker whistles by the refs) and more free flowing offense. Hoping it happens.

I’ve already watched more WNBA basketball in one night than I have in my lifetime. I also plan to watch every Fever game possible.

What we can’t forget is there was a reason the Fever had the #1 pick in the draft. They were 13-27. Connecticut was 27-13. I was very disappointed in Aliyah Boston in game 1 as she only contributed 4 points. CC will fix her turnover issues. She will probably still be somewhere around 3-5 per game as she takes a lot of chances.

CC is the only reason I am watching, and it’s still must see TV for our household.
Pretty much my thoughts. I have watched 3 WNBA games in my lifetime: 2 preseason with Clark, and 1 regular season game with Clark. It is appointment television in our house and probably will continue that way for the first season. With that being said, I was very disappointed in overall quality of the team/product on Tuesday, including Boston and the coaching. Caitlin obviously struggled as well. I also predict 3-5 TOs a game. I just hope they greenlight her deep 3s because that is what helps open the floor and spacing for others. If they don't, it will make her kind of ordinary.

I can't believe how jealous so many of the players are. They constantly whine about CC whether it's the coverage she gets, shoe deal, endorsements etc...

No one would watch if it weren't for CC and thanks to her revenues and salaries will go up. Girls are so dumb.
Part of me wants to root for Las Vegas as well because of Megan Gustafson and Kate Martin. Except that Megan doesn’t play much and Kate hasn’t played at all yet. And A’ja Wilson is so unlikeable. Her complaining that the reason so many fans are interested in Clark is because Clark is white is completely off-putting.

Part of me wants to root for Las Vegas as well because of Megan Gustafson and Kate Martin. Except that Megan doesn’t play much and Kate hasn’t played at all yet. And A’ja Wilson is so unlikeable. Her complaining that the reason so many fans are interested in Clark is because Clark is white is completely off-putting.
I share your thoughts. The W has one chance to get this right or the masses will begin to tune out. Hopefully they get it right.

Reactions: Moral and TJ8869
I also had never watched a WNBA game before, and watched most of the Fever's first preseason game and much of the first regular season game. Pretty sure my wife will want to watch tonight, I'm fine not watching much more. Very tough to watch and not a good product. Just a brutal style the Fever plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moral
Yep. They look like a really bad team right now. But I expect that they will improve as the season goes on.

About half of Caitlin’s turnovers were due to throwing passes that she was used to throwing to Kate Martin and Monika Czinano. She spent several years building chemistry with those players and they knew what to expect. It seemed like several of her passes the other night caught her teammates completely off guard. That will improve with time.
That's the thing to remember, Clark had 3-4 years with most of her teammates this season, she has had about 3-4 weeks with her current teammates. They will figure stuff out as the season goes along, but i think that the first 3 weeks are going to be brutal. Their early-season schedule is not friendly to a team trying to build something.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill

200w.gif

Reactions: hawkeye54545
It’s in the summer, many games are on pay streaming services, the product isn’t all that great, and the Fever are no good.

I will watch some when it’s on a channel I already get but I am not going to invest time or money seeking out the product.

Reactions: EasyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT