ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! Making some early noise with recruiting!

herkyvol

HR Heisman
Jan 24, 2009
Why this is great news to this part-time Hawkeye.
1. An early class builds relationships between coaches/players and players/players... Guys who don't fit in the class will be identified earlier... Should lead to less attrition once signed.
2. You effectively grow your recruiting staff by the number of commits you get. These recruits recruit each other.... Turn this recruiting momentum into a real buzz
3. The list is always fluid...but kids will flip, some won't qualify, others will jump on, and the coaches can focus on identifying the best attainable players and improve your list as signing day nears.
4. This is thinking outside the box... Refreshing compared to to the staleness the past 10 months.

Now. Let's see this roster develop...
Graduate your older noncontributors. Redshirt your younger noncontributors. Use gray shirts and blue shirts to even out the numbers.

Go Hawks!

Momentum of any kind can really translate to the field. The new facility, Highest number of recruits in June ever; Lets see what happens in September.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
I agree with OP about getting relationships earlier and becoming a cohesive unit earlier. THAT gets me excited. Lets just hope they have the talent to go with it. No matter what anyone says (the optimists or the pessimists) we wont know until they hit that field on saturdays

Why this is great news to this part-time Hawkeye.

2. You effectively grow your recruiting staff by the number of commits you get. These recruits recruit each other.... Turn this recruiting momentum into a real buzz
3. The list is always fluid...but kids will flip, some won't qualify, others will jump on, and the coaches can focus on identifying the best attainable players and improve your list as signing day nears.

Regarding the two points made above, I would HOPE that some of the other recruits that currently have been leaning other ways might see what's happening and perhaps flip our way now. Of course, that's me with my Hawkeye color glasses on...

Regarding the two points made above, I would HOPE that some of the other recruits that currently have been leaning other ways might see what's happening and perhaps flip our way now. Of course, that's me with my Hawkeye color glasses on...

What exactly has been happening other than a bunch of under targeted recruits committing to an unsexy program? Why would that get highly sought after recruits excited?

Signing kids is good. Signing them because we're the best thing they've got is not.

What exactly has been happening other than a bunch of under targeted recruits committing to an unsexy program? Why would that get highly sought after recruits excited?

Signing kids is good. Signing them because we're the best thing they've got is not.
So Iowa targets early, the kids are "under targeted" If we get kids late it's because no one else wanted them. Got it.

I'm most excited about the recruits on the d-line. I hope they are all still committed to iowa on signing day. With Morgan's coaching, you have to think 1 or 2 will be in the mix for all big ten. I also like the LB prospects. Wade could be another guy who transitions to another position and becomes a star.

So Iowa targets early, the kids are "under targeted" If we get kids late it's because no one else wanted them. Got it.

Either the coaches are in on these kids early or they're not Power 5 talent. A lot of these offers and commitments could have happened after the season and ended up with the same result. We've got a huge recruiting advantage over the Ball States of the world

Let me ask you trippnschmidt, Do you think the Iowa recruiting classes have been stellar lately? Do you feel there's any correlation to Iowa's losing record in the B1G over the past 5 years and the fact they have had low rated classes?

That's fine if you follow the Hawks with rose colored glasses and are very comfortable with the evaluations/recruiting of the Iowa staff as well as the direction of the program.

The reality is Iowa has 3 consecutive 10th or lower ratings in the B1G. When the dust settles next February, there's a strong chance this will be the 4th consecutive year of a low ranking. The only difference on paper between this class, which is now mostly assembled, and the recent classes is that Iowa has many more kids committed at this point than before. The commits rankings so far, and their interest from other schools or lack thereof, is the same identical look as in the past. No difference.

I am not for any bashing of the staff unless it's deserved and there has been more bashing on the staff in some areas than should be. However, when it comes to recruiting, this staff has shown to be very poor. and the evidence is the performance of the teams on the field. There is a correlation. It seems that the "strategy" developed has been to go head-to-head with the MAC level players because our chances of securing them are far better than going head-to-head with other stronger Power 5 conference schools. Then, after getting them on campus, the staff believes they can "coach them up". Hasn't been working. We may be landing more kids early, but there seems to be little evidence these kids are any better than recent years gone by.

Last edited:
Good luck with your early recruiting noise. Maybe this will be the year Kirk is finally made to answer for his teams performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT