ADVERTISEMENT

WTT Senior Brackets out

At Carver, for crowds of 8000-10000, we get out of the parking lot in a few minutes.

The last night of 2012 OTTs took forever to get out of the Carver parking lot. So much so that I paid to park at one of the nearby restaurants for 2016 as I didn't want to deal with it again. Sample size of one of course, but Carver had its issues too for a team trials...

Most of us had to be thinking about this all weekend. If held at Carver, attendance would have been well over 10,000 each day, and probably closer to 13,000+.

I have no problem with the Trials being moved around, but I do think that host sites should have to prove they can turn out big crowds. All of these guys deserve to compete on their biggest stages in front of a packed house, or close to it.

Imagine if these trials, with all of this great action, had been held in a nearly full Carver. The place would have been absolutely electric. That's great for the sport.

If other venues can produce the same kind of crowd, great. But I hope USA Wrestling takes note of which sites can turn out the fans and caters to them. This kind of tremendous action shouldn't be taking place in front of an Iowa City Duals-sized crowd. It needs a full house!
Why werent fans from central and western iowa flocking in as its not that much further of a drive than to iowa city?

Why werent fans from central and western iowa flocking in as its not that much further of a drive than to iowa city?

I imagine the casual fan has shit to do. My nephew and his boys would have loved to come but they had baseball tourneys. Plus, if you would have believed the wrestling media, we had zero legit contenders.

Glad you came back to our "surreal" and "embarrassing" board, as you posted on BWI. Couldn't keep away, huh?

Pennstate1985

I didn't bother going there but I imagine they couldn't contain their glee over Cael and DT losing it.
They claim to not want to talk about PSU related discussion, yet are overwhelmingly discussing PSU and Cael on a day when Gilman ran the gauntlet. Surreal really and embarrassing.

Reactions: Chuck C
Glad you came back to our "surreal" and "embarrassing" board, as you posted on BWI. Couldn't keep away, huh?

Pennstate1985

I didn't bother going there but I imagine they couldn't contain their glee over Cael and DT losing it.
They claim to not want to talk about PSU related discussion, yet are overwhelmingly discussing PSU and Cael on a day when Gilman ran the gauntlet. Surreal really and embarrassing.

Actually, what I said in full was:

What do you mean, "bring this crap over here." This is my home board. I'm not posting on HR today because it is a cesspool at the moment. That's my opinion. I like HR most of the time and don't get into the banter aspect, but HR was over the top the last 12 hours. If you can't see that, not my problem. Not everyone mind you, but a vocal minority took control overnight.

Some would. I would not join in. I support whomever is on the world team. No school colors even though I wish they were all Nittany Lions. (about Gilman)

My opinion is my opinion. Life is short my friend to worry about it. Az, Turk, and Minne say things on HR that aren't what they would post here. Does that make them bad people? No it doesn't. You'll live. I'm almost sure of it.

Saturday night and yesterday morning was surreal and embarrassing on here whether you agree or not from a vocal minority. This board is better than a few of the people who post here. As I stated, I took the day off to hopefully let the crazies go back into hibernation. I do the same on BWI too. I'm glad Gilman got on the team. He seemed laser focused. To me, that should have been the story Saturday night, not Sandusky and PED use and the antics of DT and Cael, which should not have happened. I am glad some posters here pushed back against the Sandusky and PED narratives. That's low rent stuff.

Anyway, you promised to be at my first post back to call me out, so at least you're a man of your word. :)

Reactions: sstark46

Pennstate1985

PSU85 is a wolf in sheep's clothing or two-faced. Haha...not really but that's what they post about me over there when I had a not too friendly opinion of PSU or it's fans. BTW PS85, I no longer post over on BWI.

Doesn't matter if 85 wants to get in on the Iowa or HR bashing over there every once in awhile...but yea, if Brands threw a shit fit, there would be a thread either making fun of him or calling him classless. For the record, I don't think DT or Cael are classless...thought the whole thing was humorous in light of the holier than thou attitude some PSU fans have about the purity of their guys. I do think DT is a prima donna tho. Yes, I would have said all of this on BWI. As for glee...several of our guys were like "meh" about the whole thing.

What do you mean, "bring this crap over here." This is my home board. I'm not posting on HR today because it is a cesspool at the moment. That's my opinion. I like HR most of the time and don't get into the banter aspect, but HR was over the top the last 12 hours. If you can't see that, not my problem. Not everyone mind you, but a vocal minority took control overnight.

Some would. I would not join in. I support whomever is on the world team. No school colors even though I wish they were all Nittany Lions. (about Gilman)

My opinion is my opinion. Life is short my friend to worry about it. Az, Turk, and Minne say things on HR that aren't what they would post here. Does that make them bad people? No it doesn't. You'll live. I'm almost sure of it.

Saturday night and yesterday morning was surreal and embarrassing on here whether you agree or not from a vocal minority. This board is better than a few of the people who post here. As I stated, I took the day off to hopefully let the crazies go back into hibernation. I do the same on BWI too. I'm glad Gilman got on the team. He seemed laser focused. To me, that should have been the story Saturday night, not Sandusky and PED use and the antics of DT and Cael, which should not have happened. I am glad some posters here pushed back against the Sandusky and PED narratives. That's low rent stuff.

Anyway, you promised to be at my first post back to call me out, so at least you're a man of your word. :)

Tad defensive?

PSU85 is a wolf in sheep's clothing or two-faced. Haha...not really but that's what they post about me over there when I had a not too friendly opinion of PSU or it's fans. BTW PS85, I no longer post over on BWI.
Yeah, I try to keep an even keel but it's hard to be completely middle of the road as you know. Too bad you don't post there any longer. You are a good poster. Our loss. I don't agree with everything you say, but I respect your right to say them. I don't understand the gotcha posts like Gusaford typed. Seems junior high to me. I can dislike a few morons and still like this board 99% of the time. If I wanted to troll, I would have posted my comments here in the first place and created more of a circus over the weekend. Better to vent elsewhere.

Yes, if Brands had done it instead of Cael, it would have been plastered all over BWI. And I would have disagreed with that as well. A lot of emotions go into the finals of the WTT. Sometimes they spill out onto the mat.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAChief32
Tad defensive?
Nope. Just wanted everything I said posted here for reasons of context and accuracy. I'm not hiding from anything, as I don't find it that bad. I stated my opinion on my board about the atmosphere here being created by a few bad apples. Your post was silly and childish, but you have the right to do it, so have at it.

Look, I'm sure you're a decent guy and you appear to be about my age, so I sense an affinity in terms of what little extra wisdom comes from living five decades. Every board has a few posters that push the boundaries of decorum. I can't stand the Ped State nonsense on HR, either. But it gets old being told that the board I enjoy reading and posting on is a cesspool because of a few knuckleheads who post here. BWI has its own knuckleheads, as you well know.

There were three big stories Saturday night: 1) Gilman's run to a spot on the world team; 2) Burroughs-Dake; and 3) Taylor-Cox, and Taylor/Cael's emotional reaction to the third match. Every wrestling fan was discussing all three events. It was not accurate to say that this Board was uninterested in topic 1), and you were practicing acoustic separation in telling the BWI board that the posters on this board were "embarrassing" and then posting over here like everything's fine.

I historically have liked your posts on HR but your post on BWI pissed me off, and I said so.

Happy to declare a truce.

Last edited:
Look, I'm sure you're a decent guy and you appear to be about my age, so I sense an affinity in terms of what little extra wisdom comes from living five decades. Every board has a few posters that push the boundaries of decorum. I can't stand the Ped State nonsense on HR, either. But it gets old being told that the board I enjoy reading and posting on is a cesspool because of a few knuckleheads who post here. BWI has its own knuckleheads, as you well know.

There were three big stories Saturday night: 1) Gilman's run to a spot on the world team; 2) Burroughs-Dake; and 3) Taylor-Cox, and Taylor/Cael's emotional reaction to the third match. Every wrestling fan was discussing all three events. It was not accurate to say that this Board was uninterested in topic 1), and you were practicing acoustic separation in telling the BWI board that the posters on this board were "embarrassing" and then posting over here like everything's fine.

I historically have liked your posts on HR but your post on BWI pissed me off, and I said so.

Happy to declare a truce.
Truce it is, and I appreciate your honesty. I have more people on ignore on BWI than here, so I know what you are saying. The vibe is different between the two boards as well. The difference is between winning and losing. I will say this last thing on the subject. I hope PSU is on top for the next 20 years, because when we fall eventually off the perch, there will be a strong vocal minority who will be out with the long knives in retribution, and I'd prefer not to me there on that day. Talk about embarrassing and cesspool on that day. We have just as many nasties as HR, but winning hides it to some degree.

Truce it is, and I appreciate your honesty. I have more people on ignore on BWI than here, so I know what you are saying. The vibe is different between the two boards as well. The difference is between winning and losing. I will say this last thing on the subject. I hope PSU is on top for the next 20 years, because when we fall eventually off the perch, there will be a strong vocal minority who will be out with the long knives in retribution, and I'd prefer not to me there on that day. Talk about embarrassing and cesspool on that day. We have just as many nasties as HR, but winning hides it to some degree.

Truce. I would have given your post a "like" but I don't want it misconstrued that I also hope PSU is on top for the next 20 years. :)

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Truce. I would have given your post a "like" but I don't want it misconstrued that I also hope PSU is on top for the next 20 years. :)
I can see BWI the week following nationals where we are favored but lose. :eek: It won't be pretty, and likely ten times as bad as anything seen here. There is no greater fall from a pedestal than the one on which you place yourself.

Yeah, I try to keep an even keel but it's hard to be completely middle of the road as you know. Too bad you don't post there any longer. You are a good poster. Our loss. I don't agree with everything you say, but I respect your right to say them. I don't understand the gotcha posts like Gusaford typed. Seems junior high to me. I can dislike a few morons and still like this board 99% of the time. If I wanted to troll, I would have posted my comments here in the first place and created more of a circus over the weekend. Better to vent elsewhere.

Yes, if Brands had done it instead of Cael, it would have been plastered all over BWI. And I would have disagreed with that as well. A lot of emotions go into the finals of the WTT. Sometimes they spill out onto the mat.

Gilman was story #1 here. No doubt. But seeing the high and mighty PSU have far less than their best moment and the hypocrisy surrounding it was great theater. It was also a great "gotcha" moment for message board/internet nerds like us. I generally have a positive opinion of Cael and PSU and that didn't change based on the Taylor match. But just know, the next time someone whines about the Brands' foot stomping, yelling or pointing, this will be brought up and deservedly so.

It is 2 different stories when Brands and Cael throw a fit. With Brands it is "there he goes again. He is a wild man." With Cael it is, "He is a hypocrite and not what he pretends to be." In the end, do any of us really care? We all know how emotional the sport is and how great of a coach both guys are and how much time, sweat, and love they put into the sport and their athletes.

Pointing out the weaknesses of a person in an emotional situation after their heart has ben broken does not make any of us a better person. Putting someone else down does not make us a bigger or taller person. They are both great men and great for the sport and I am damn glad they are both still actively coaching.

Remember who banded together when they were trying to make the duals the National champion? Cael and Brands. Lets remember they are the reason the guys are improving and we get to watch great wrestling like this past weekend. They are trying to beat each other and they keep looking to get better. My hat is off to both of them.

From what I here, what we saw from Cael sat night is not totally out of character. He is not a happy camper when he doesn't get his way. Just ask any of the big time recruits that he has missed on how he acts when they tell him they are going somewhere else, you'll get a kick out of some of these stories.

Reactions: championhawk
From what I here, what we saw from Cael sat night is not totally out of character. He is not a happy camper when he doesn't get his way. Just ask any of the big time recruits that he has missed on how he acts when they tell him they are going somewhere else, you'll get a kick out of some of these stories.
His true colors will eventually bring him down. We saw the real Cael and Taylor last weekend. Most observant people knew Cael was fake as hell. It was no surprise that his number 1 robot is just as fake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT