ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another request to adopt freestyle rules for College Wresting

93hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 19, 2004
Letting guys defend against leg attacks by tying up the attacker's knees and ankles, diving under, rolling around, just wears me out. There needs to be a consequence for back exposure that rewards the agressor.

Reactions: dmlawdad and el dub
100% agree. There are so many ways to introduce funk in folk style that narrows the gap between good and less talented wrestlers.

Also, obviously, a push out is needed. The sports is about domination. If you can push out your opponent, that’s a mean of imposing domination.

The only problem with freestyle is that the meets can be over in a half hour. It’s hard to justify 16,000 people in an arena for a 30 minute matchup. Also difficult to sell it to television networks.

Reactions: ILHawksFan
I think that’s a bad argument.

People want to be entertained. If folk style is less entertaining, and less practical at imposing the foundational goal is the sport, why would it be featured?
The simple answer is to eliminate stalemates. If guys are rolling around and scrambling - that is exciting. If a guy takes a shot and the other guy grabs an ankle and causes a stalemate - that should be a stalling call and restart. How many matches do we see a guy get in on shots and get all tangled up and stalemated out? If that happens 2 times, at least the aggressor would have point on the board and the other guy would be forced to look for attacks.
Also, anytime a guy refused to make contact- it is an automatic point and then a restart. If we get into a 1 or 2 point match with 25 seconds to go and the winner can just run away, that takes away the most exciting part of a match. make it better and more entertaining for the fan. You can have a regular stalling call and the automatic one.
Also, anytime you turn to get to counter a move and it takes you directly out of bounds - call it as stalling. Take it out of the refs hands. If a guy is wrestling and they go out, that is one thing, but if the countering wrestler goes directly out - like a kick out of pulling him out from the top position - call it stalling.
Also, get rid of the stall warning. Guys would be a lot less likely to stall, if the first one cost a point.

100% agree. There are so many ways to introduce funk in folk style that narrows the gap between good and less talented wrestlers.

Also, obviously, a push out is needed. The sports is about domination. If you can push out your opponent, that’s a mean of imposing domination.
I’m all for a push out point simply to stop guys from wrestling the edge of the mat. I really don’t think it is entertaining to just watch guy try to just push another guy out of bounds, this isn’t sumo wrestling. Nobody watches football to just watch the lineman pushing and blocking each other.

Funk or scrambling is part of the sport. Has been for a really long time, it has just become more prevalent as top level wrestlers have gotten to where they use scrambling as an offensive weapon and not just to play defense. Iowa needs to adapt or they will continue to fall further and further behind.

Reactions: vhsalum
The simple fact is, The BEST wrestlers is NOT always winning the matches!!! A lot of times, the best STALLER is rewarded with a win. IF the dumb officials would CALL the rules as written. The problem would be solved, but it aint happening.

To watch KerKin ride parallel with an ankle hooked for days on end is incredible. It is a STALL by rule!

That being said, a PUSH OUT RULE HAS TO BE PUT IN PLACE!!! This is getting to be a bad joke as the wrestler up by 1 backs to the edge of the mat constantly !!!

I like what the poster above said about the "funk" dive/roll/ankle grab crab also!!! If wrestler A shoots, and wrestler B does a dive roll counter and it winds up as a stalemate. Reward the offensive wrestler by hitting the Defensive wrestler with a stall call.

I do NOT like the FS back exposure BS!!! Rolling a guy around several times or having wrestler A take a shot and wrestler B lock around the waist and hip toss, is CRAP!!! Should be some kind of rule where the offensive wrestler takes the other guy to his back with some kind of control.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The simple fact is, The BEST wrestlers is NOT always winning the matches!!! A lot of times, the best STALLER is rewarded with a win. IF the dumb officials would CALL the rules as written. The problem would be solved, but it aint happening.

To watch KerKin ride parallel with an ankle hooked for days on end is incredible. It is a STALL by rule!

That being said, a PUSH OUT RULE HAS TO BE PUT IN PLACE!!! This is getting to be a bad joke as the wrestler up by 1 backs to the edge of the mat constantly !!!

I like what the poster above said about the "funk" dive/roll/ankle grab crab also!!! If wrestler A shoots, and wrestler B does a dive roll counter and it winds up as a stalemate. Reward the offensive wrestler by hitting the Defensive wrestler with a stall call.

I do NOT like the FS back exposure BS!!! Rolling a guy around several times or having wrestler A take a shot and wrestler B lock around the waist and hip toss, is CRAP!!! Should be some kind of rule where the offensive wrestler takes the other guy to his back with some kind of control.
I hope you never change

Reactions: tiltman and el dub

Spoken like someone who has zero understanding of scrambling and how it is applied. You’d fit in perfect on the Iowa staff.

• Haha
Reactions: shobart

Also, anything feet to back is a takedown. Even if the guy scrambles off his back to a no control position. Give the guy a reason to try a throw.
Garvin threw a Amine straight to his back and Amine scrambled quickly and got off his back and rolled around. No points were awarded. Give him 3 points. He earned it!!

Also, anything feet to back is a takedown. Even if the guy scrambles off his back to a no control position. Give the guy a reason to try a throw.
Garvin threw a Amine straight to his back and Amine scrambled quickly and got off his back and rolled around. No points were awarded. Give him 3 points. He earned it!!

No. No he did not. He did nothing.

How do we get the officials to enforce the damn rules? Predictably, as the season wore on they allow stalling on top more and more. And in the NCAAs they have completely reverted. Especially if PSU is in the top position.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
No. No he did not. He did nothing.

How do we get the officials to enforce the damn rules? Predictably, as the season wore on they allow stalling on top more and more. And in the NCAAs they have completely reverted. Especially if PSU is in the top position.
I watched the match and he most certainly did throw Amine to his back.

The plain ass sitting on the ankle needs to get a 5 count unless they are lifting the knee off the mat by lifting the ankle trying to actually turn the guy.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I’m all for a push out point simply to stop guys from wrestling the edge of the mat. I really don’t think it is entertaining to just watch guy try to just push another guy out of bounds, this isn’t sumo wrestling. Nobody watches football to just watch the lineman pushing and blocking each other.

Funk or scrambling is part of the sport. Has been for a really long time, it has just become more prevalent as top level wrestlers have gotten to where they use scrambling as an offensive weapon and not just to play defense. Iowa needs to adapt or they will continue to fall further and further behind.
The push out rule in freestyle hasn’t created sumo, just the opposite. Amazingly, guys know how to circle back in or adjust, instead of backing out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT