ADVERTISEMENT

You’re Beth Goetz. What do you tell Fran in post-season review?

I’d tell him to set the goals that will beat Iowa State, get Iowa to the NCAA tournament next year and to advance beyond the first round. We will then review them in one month.
Not that I want Fran to stay, I don't.

But if I'm him, my response is you better start diverting donations thst were going to the athletic department to the swarm for basketball.

Otherwise shut up.

BG enforced a contract her previous boss set up. If she hadn’t a lot of UI employees who don’t meet expectations and would be let go would head straight to lawyers ( they still can).
Not the hero move it’s been made out to be.
I'll give you an "A" for creativity here, but an "F" for pretty much everything else.

I'd love to have seen a Chemistry professor who didn't receive tenure because of poor performance trying to sue the U of Iowa with the argument that he should get to keep his job because BF did even through the football team didn't score 25 points a game.

Yeah, THAT'S the reason BG made the move in October.

Your takes are bad enough on HROT; keep it there.

I'll give you an "A" for creativity here, but an "F" for pretty much everything else.

I'd love to have seen a Chemistry professor who didn't receive tenure because of poor performance trying to sue the U of Iowa with the argument that he should get to keep his job because BF did even through the football team didn't score 25 points a game.

Yeah, THAT'S the reason BG made the move in October.

Your takes are bad enough on HROT; keep it there.
I was talking more admin positions.

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Love You Comedy GIF by Run The Burbs

Beth: Fran, what can I do as athletic director to support the men’s program and help push it to another level?

Fran: Find a way to get us more NIL funding and help fix the atmosphere in Carver.

Beth: Will do, those are things that a good athletic director should work on so I will get after it!

I’d tell him to set the goals that will beat Iowa State, get Iowa to the NCAA tournament next year and to advance beyond the first round. We will then review them in one month.
I don’t know how good of a team Iowa State will have next season, but I don’t understand why beating Iowa State needs to be a bench mark for determining program success. Iowa State clobbered the #1 ranked team in the country to win the Big 12 tournament a couple weeks ago. So, they’re pretty good right now. Yes, it’s a rivalry game, but I think you also need to put it in perspective. I would add it’s not like Fran hasn’t won against Iowa State. IIRC, Iowa State hasn’t beaten Iowa in Carver since 2014, and Iowa won in Ames a few years back. So, I don’t think that’s a box that really needs checked at this time. Iowa State wins 3 or 4 in a row, then I get it.

Last, it’s about stagnation. There’s no real excitement or enthusiasm right now. Bad or mediocre seasons are going to happen. That’s inevitable. The question is, what are you doing to make the program better and more competitive? Are you adequately addressing glaring deficiencies like rebounding and defense? Sure doesn’t seem like it. Are you getting rid of dead weight on your staff and bringing in assistants who can improve recruiting and make the team better? Nope. Are you adjusting recruiting strategies to address weaknesses, particularly at guard and with overall athleticism? Nope.

In short, this program is going nowhere. So, if your Beth, you lay down the ultimatum: adapt or GTFO.
Not that I want Fran to stay, I don't.

But if I'm him, my response is you better start diverting donations thst were going to the athletic department to the swarm for basketball.

Otherwise shut up.
How exactly does NIL donations work? Do fans who donate get a say in where they want their money to go? So, for instance, someone could say “I will donate $1,000 to Swarm if it goes to football”? How exactly does this work?

Yeah, it’s definitely not fair to criticize Fran if he doesn’t have the NIL money to work with. However, would more NIL donations come in for basketball if fans had more faith in Fran?

I will end by saying, does anyone see a real difference in Fran’s recruiting from before and after NIL? I don’t.

Beth:
We have creatively re-directed I-club donations from the athletic dept to a BB NIL fund.
You have 3 million to work with...now find a way to make the dance next season and please win a couple of tourney games or we will be back here next year to discuss your future at Iowa.
Go get'em.

I don’t know how good of a team Iowa State will have next season, but I don’t understand why beating Iowa State needs to be a bench mark for determining program success. Iowa State clobbered the #1 ranked team in the country to win the Big 12 tournament a couple weeks ago. So, they’re pretty good right now. Yes, it’s a rivalry game, but I think you also need to put it in perspective. I would add it’s not like Fran hasn’t won against Iowa State. IIRC, Iowa State hasn’t beaten Iowa in Carver since 2014, and Iowa won in Ames a few years back. So, I don’t think that’s a box that really needs checked at this time. Iowa State wins 3 or 4 in a row, then I get it.

Last, it’s about stagnation. There’s no real excitement or enthusiasm right now. Bad or mediocre seasons are going to happen. That’s inevitable. The question is, what are you doing to make the program better and more competitive? Are you adequately addressing glaring deficiencies like rebounding and defense? Sure doesn’t seem like it. Are you getting rid of dead weight on your staff and bringing in assistants who can improve recruiting and make the team better? Nope. Are you adjusting recruiting strategies to address weaknesses, particularly at guard and with overall athleticism? Nope.

In short, this program is going nowhere. So, if your Beth, you lay down the ultimatum: adapt or GTFO.

How exactly does NIL donations work? Do fans who donate get a say in where they want their money to go? So, for instance, someone could say “I will donate $1,000 to Swarm if it goes to football”? How exactly does this work?

Yeah, it’s definitely not fair to criticize Fran if he doesn’t have the NIL money to work with. However, would more NIL donations come in for basketball if fans had more faith in Fran?

I will end by saying, does anyone see a real difference in Fran’s recruiting from before and after NIL? I don’t.
The recruiting landscape has changed since NIL became a thing.

The portal is now a significant factor in overall recruiting with immediate eligibility.

Now Iowa is competing vs teams who have been able to pay a Domask(Illini) 400k to come in and become a 1st team all- conference player along with other transfers (Shannon, Aj Storr).

We would be ok with our traditional recruiting of fringe top 150 HS guys like Joe, Luka, Murray's, Freeman Payton, Tony ECT except for the secondary market where we cannot compete.

I like the last 7 HS guys Fran has landed: Dix, Freeman,Harding, Pryce Ladji , Koch and Tadjo.

But good teams are landing significant contributors from the portal like Lance Jones at PU.

Philip Reba was solid and helped us make the tourney both years.
Krikke was decent but not good enough overall to get us back to tourney.

We need to find a way to get that secondary recruiting to kick in.
This is where Fran needs improvement.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I expect she’ll say something like this… Fran here’s the deal you’re a decent coach not a great coach and although you have win quite a few games, the fans are encouraging me to hire the next coach, they’re not gonna like so I apologize. But we’re gonna have to move on. although keep your schedule open when we get rid of the next Coach, we may consider you again ?

Although unlikely 😒
Take out the "not a great coach" and I could agree.
I don't think Beth would say that. Assuming her integrity level.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
The recruiting landscape has changed since NIL became a thing.

The portal is now a significant factor in overall recruiting with immediate eligibility.

Now Iowa is competing vs teams who have been able to pay a Domask(Illini) 400k to come in and become a 1st team all- conference player along with other transfers (Shannon, Aj Storr).

We would be ok with our traditional recruiting of fringe top 150 HS guys like Joe, Luka, Murray's, Freeman Payton, Tony ECT except for the secondary market where we cannot compete.

I like the last 7 HS guys Fran has landed: Dix, Freeman,Harding, Pryce Ladji , Koch and Tadjo.

But good teams are landing significant contributors from the portal like Lance Jones at PU.

Philip Reba was solid and helped us make the tourney both years.
Krikke was decent but not good enough overall to get us back to tourney.

We need to find a way to get that secondary recruiting to kick in.
This is where Fran needs improvement.
So, how exactly does NIL work? I’ve heard obviously that the funding for basketball isn’t there as it needs to be. I’ve also heard Fran is resistant to using the portal a lot because he doesn’t want transfers getting offered more money than anyone on the current roster. So, what’s the truth?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT