ADVERTISEMENT

You know this team has the pieces to make a run

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
But we’re going to have to settle into that 2-3 zone and rebound the heck out of the ball.

Plenty of scorers. We can attack in and out.

But like all season, we’ll only win games that we defend we’ll enough to win.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
We really don't have the pieces to make a run.

Not yet. We need a couple of speedy guards, who can defend like mad & handle the ball in traffic. But that is a known factor...

Joe T should be a big boost. Very much looking forward to that.

That said, I think we need a couple more Joe T's. Add a few inches to one or both of them.

Regardless, with the added maturity to an already veteran team, we will be good. And if Joe T can be half as good as Joe W in contribution, then look out!

I like Cook's powerful post presence and the way he can spin his way into nice little hook shots/lay-ups but man, the guy flat out sucks at dribbling and shooting the ball. The 1st half 3-pointer he put up as the shot clock was expiring missed rim by about 5 feet. It was a pretty good, open look too...

People can bag on Cook all they want and some of it he deserves. In his defense what is Fran doing to open the floor up so he can operate? Cook and Bohannon get absolutely smothered defensively but this creates 0 open shots for others. I thought Fran ran the motion but it looks like we run maple syrup in January offense with the lack of motion the past month. As talented as Wieskamp is he spends 3/4 game buried on the baseline waiting for a kick out that never comes. Moss' handles are as bad as Cook's so he is totally one dimensional and Connor won't look at the basket. You can't rely so heavily on two guys and not think the D is going to be able to neutralize them. See Jok and Uthoff.

People can bag on Cook all they want and some of it he deserves. In his defense what is Fran doing to open the floor up so he can operate? Cook and Bohannon get absolutely smothered defensively but this creates 0 open shots for others. I thought Fran ran the motion but it looks like we run maple syrup in January offense with the lack of motion the past month. As talented as Wieskamp is he spends 3/4 game buried on the baseline waiting for a kick out that never comes. Moss' handles are as bad as Cook's so he is totally one dimensional and Connor won't look at the basket. You can't rely so heavily on two guys and not think the D is going to be able to neutralize them. See Jok and Uthoff.
It definitely hurts the team, in general, having Connor out there not trying to put the ball through the basket. BUT, Cook still can't shoot worth a s**t. Too many limited players running around out there.

It definitely hurts the team, in general, having Connor out there not trying to put the ball through the basket. BUT, Cook still can't shoot worth a s**t. Too many limited players running around out there.

Agree, but that is on Fran not Cook, Connor or anyone else. Some will point to the record and say look at what a great job Fran has done but I want to see it in March. Win two games in the BTT, win first round in the NCAA and compete in the 2nd round. Anything short of this will be another painful reminder that Fran has peaked and needs to move on.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Agree, but that is on Fran not Cook, Connor or anyone else. Some will point to the record and say look at what a great job Fran has done but I want to see it in March. Win two games in the BTT, win first round in the NCAA and compete in the 2nd round. Anything short of this will be another painful reminder that Fran has peaked and needs to move on.
Cook not being able to shoot is not on Fran my man. Did you see that 3-pointer he took?? Missed by a mile. I mean, it's certainly not a secret that he is a terrible shooter.
And I agree, must win a 1st round game in the tourney. MUST.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Cook not being able to shoot is not on Fran my man. Did you see that 3-pointer he took?? Missed by a mile. I mean, it's certainly not a secret that he is a terrible shooter.

It was a rushed 3 to beat the shot clock. It's not like it was Cook's choice to shoot that in the flow of the offense. Why are people freaking out over Cook air balling a 3 with 1 second on the shot clock? Garza hasn't made a wide open 3 in a month and Kriener is good for an air bank every couple attempts. Maybe we should start a "Bohannon can't dunk" thread. It would make as much as this one.

BigTen play in Feb. is always ugly. Teams scout so well by this time in the year defenses know better what you want to do then you do yourself. Mental and physical exhaustion set in... that's why if you look around the league it's been pretty ugly of late.

We need to just grind thru the last 3 games and the BTT and get to March Madness and be clicking and connected on both offense and defense when going against teams that won't have as detailed of scout, and where freedom of movement might be allowed again? Like to see us play with more focus and intensity as that's what it is going to take to advance in the NCAAs

Reactions: unclesammy
And I agree, must win a 1st round game in the tourney. MUST.
Three pointer? What about the first shot of the game? Dude consistently misses bunnies, he should have had 4-5 more baskets last night.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Iowa can be lethal if they are hot from outside. If not, they do not have enough inside presence to get anybody but the bottom feeders out...and there won't be too many of them in the NCAA Tournament.

Not sure Iowa's issues are "issues" or the bi-product of of B1G teams seeing a lot of Iowa film / making adjustments the 2nd time around. Bohannon wearing a defender the second he crosses half court and getting pin balled all over the floor has to be addressed. Get him off the ball and if that means sitting Moss and playing Dailey who at least is a threat to drive along with Wieskamp then so be it. Start Baer these final 3 games with Cook and bring Garza / Kriener off the bench. Garza needs to hit the reset button before BTT / NCAA tournaments. Moss has been gifted a starting job for far too long and it needs to change.

Iowa is now 3-6
In games where Cook shoots 13 or more field goal attempts. He’s a good second or third option but he’s not a good primary option. This isn’t even taking into account the turnovers.

Posted by JHebz on Feb 26, 2019 | 6:25 PM

I mean, that’s one way to look at it or we could look at the combined numbers of Moss/Joe/Jordan in the 7 losses.

Wisconsin 21 points 7-28
Michigan St 32 points 10-25
Purdue 30 points 10-22
Michigan St 10 points 4-20
Minnesota 28 points 9-19
Maryland 28 points 6-30
Ohio St 28 points 7-18

177 points(25.3 ppg) on 53-162(32.7%) shooting from the field.

Tyler’s numbers in the losses

Wisconsin 8-15 19 points
Michigan St 6-13 15 points
Purdue 9-16 24 points
Michigan St 8-17 17 points
Minnesota 8-14 18 points
Maryland 3-4 6 points
Ohio St 6-12 12 points

111 points (15.9 ppg) 48-91(52.7%)

So, during these losses when our guards can’t hit the broad side of a barn, who should taking the shots? The TC hate on this site is amazing.

Last edited:
The Hawks are shooting about 46% from the field, 37% from 3 and 12 turnovers per game. So, let's use those as the over/under.

If the Hawks shoot better than that, and have fewer TO's than 12, they are a tough team to beat, and can compete with the best of teams. If they don't they become an average team very quickly and can lose to just about anyone. Below average defense and rebounding has been a staple of this team.

Teams have done their scouting on TC,, as soon as he puts it on the deck, attack him and he will lose the dribble.... The word is definitely out on that. Tyler needs to shelve the idea of more then one dribble of the ball for this season ...
Cook has definitely improved on playing within himself, but he needs to continue to work harder on that... More coaching, and more film.

I like Cook's powerful post presence and the way he can spin his way into nice little hook shots/lay-ups but man, the guy flat out sucks at dribbling and shooting the ball. The 1st half 3-pointer he put up as the shot clock was expiring missed rim by about 5 feet. It was a pretty good, open look too...

I mean, that’s one way to look at it or we could look at the combined numbers of Moss/Joe/Jordan in the 7 losses.

Wisconsin 21 points 7-28
Purdue 30 points 10-22
Minnesota 28 points 9-19
Maryland 28 points 6-30
Ohio St 28 points 7-18

Wisconsin 8-15 19 points
Purdue 9-16 24 points
Minnesota 8-14 18 points
Maryland 3-4 6 points
Ohio St 6-12 12 points

So, during these losses when our guards can’t hit the broad side of a barn, who should taking the shots? The TC hate on this site is amazing.

Just to clarify Tyler was 6-14 against OSU. I didn’t bother to check the other stats. Tyler was shooting over 60% in non conference and is just above 50% for a Big Ten play. Big drop against real competition. What happens if he plays against NBA caliber shot blockers. He leads the league in turnovers and his free throw % in recent games has been dismal leading to numerous empty possessions. If you don’t understand how inefficient he has been the last number of games I don’t know what to tell you.

Let’s start here, go back and watch the last game. He shot 6-14. In that game I believe he made his last three shots when the game was all but over. So up until that point he was 3-11 from the field and 4 turnovers. In many of the losses you just pointed out his point total. Go back and look at turnovers, missed free throws and you see a very inefficient player. Inefficient stars lose ball games. Just because you score 15 points doesn’t mean you had a good game when the ball goes to you every possession and you play 33 or 34 minutes per game. Throw in lack luster defense and a guy who’s scared to foul anyone and it’s a recipe for garbage. How does an athlete of his magnitude have 13 or 14 blocks on the season. That’s a guy who refuses to play help defense and would rather watch the guy lay it in for an easy two so he can stay in the game and maybe get a couple extra meaningless buckets at the end of the game when we’re down 20.

Just to clarify Tyler was 6-14 against OSU. I didn’t bother to check the other stats. Tyler was shooting over 60% in non conference and is just above 50% for a Big Ten play. Big drop against real competition. What happens if he plays against NBA caliber shot blockers. He leads the league in turnovers and his free throw % in recent games has been dismal leading to numerous empty possessions. If you don’t understand how inefficient he has been the last number of games I don’t know what to tell you.

Let’s start here, go back and watch the last game. He shot 6-14. In that game I believe he made his last three shots when the game was all but over. So up until that point he was 3-11 from the field and 4 turnovers. In many of the losses you just pointed out his point total. Go back and look at turnovers, missed free throws and you see a very inefficient player. Inefficient stars lose ball games. Just because you score 15 points doesn’t mean you had a good game when the ball goes to you every possession and you play 33 or 34 minutes per game. Throw in lack luster defense and a guy who’s scared to foul anyone and it’s a recipe for garbage. How does an athlete of his magnitude have 13 or 14 blocks on the season. That’s a guy who refuses to play help defense and would rather watch the guy lay it in for an easy two so he can stay in the game and maybe get a couple extra meaningless buckets at the end of the game when we’re down 20.

This is pretty spot on. Don’t know if he refuses to play defense...just does not play good defense. Is definitely a turnover machine, no arguement there.

Reactions: kcgolfer
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a deep run. I would love to see it but unless we run into ice cold shooting teams it isn't going to happen. Even in the 2-3 zone we give up too many open shots AND we don't rebound worth a damn in that zone.

While the D is improved from last, it is no where good enough to make a deep run. We have given up more points than any B1G team and it isn't close.

Wisconsin 21 points 7-28
Purdue 30 points 10-22
Minnesota 28 points 9-19
Maryland 28 points 6-30
Ohio St 28 points 7-18

Wisconsin 8-15 19 points
Purdue 9-16 24 points
Minnesota 8-14 18 points
Maryland 3-4 6 points
Ohio St 6-12 12 points

BEST POST ABOUT COOK!!!

Like other years, I'd say a round of 32 team. That's about it. One upset win over Michigan, but otherwise haven't been able to win against upper division big 10 opponents. So can't really envision us as a Sweet 16 caliber team.

But, most anything can happen in a single elimination tournament.

If Iowa can finish strong, maybe get a 5 seed in the tournament then Sweet 16 or better seems more realistic.

Like other years, I'd say a round of 32 team. That's about it. One upset win over Michigan, but otherwise haven't been able to win against upper division big 10 opponents. So can't really envision us as a Sweet 16 caliber team.

But, most anything can happen in a single elimination tournament.

If Iowa can finish strong, maybe get a 5 seed in the tournament then Sweet 16 or better seems more realistic.
I'm with you until the last line.

I had them on the wrong side of the bubble prior to the start of the season, so the fact that they will make the tourney(nearly a lock at this point) exceeds expectations.

They do not have sufficient defense or athleticism on the perimeter, particularly at the 1, to do more than win a 1st round game. Even if they could get a 5 seed, which seems unlikely.
It would probably take a great shooting night and the opponent to be ice cold to get them into the final 16.

Wisconsin 21 points 7-28
Purdue 30 points 10-22
Minnesota 28 points 9-19
Maryland 28 points 6-30
Ohio St 28 points 7-18

Wisconsin 8-15 19 points
Purdue 9-16 24 points
Minnesota 8-14 18 points
Maryland 3-4 6 points
Ohio St 6-12 12 points

Good point. People are quick to bash Cook for everything but Cook needs guards to make shots or defenses can double / trap him. When the guards either won't or can't shoot what else is Cook supposed to other than force the issue? Cook has holes in his game but if you put some Iowa version of Winston from MSU on this team you add another dynamic. Cook requires a double nobody else even requires help--therein lies the problem.

The national pundits think Iowa can make a run. They say the Big Ten is such a meat grinder and teams scout so well that Iowa is struggling against good competition.

My problem with that is, isn’t every team in the NCAA good?? I’m sorry but guards win ya championships. We just do not have the guards to make a run.

Like most Iowa teams, it is filled with good players, but no great players. And they are all pretty much one-dimensional. Unless they go nuts from 3, they are not that hard to beat.

Reactions: HawkInArk
Iowa flat out sucks at basketball.
When they play well, its the exception, not the norm.
But hey, Lick years, etc, etc.

I don't see it....We are not playing good basketball right now. Our lack of athleticism is showing is being exposed....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT