ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo, this UCONN game is interesting…

A shocking stat to me was that LSU outrebounded us 54-36. Usually results are not good with such a lopsided stat.
I would expect rebounds to be pretty even in this game.
Makes me feel a little better.

Yes, I followed that during the game, and was pretty shocked by it myself although it was a pregame concern, and I mentioned as much… With that said hell 12 of those rebounds came on probably four or five shots… Lol there were several trips where they had two and three offensive rebounds in the same possession…

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we will out rebound UCONN and maybe sizably.

If any coach can come up with a formula to beat Iowa that is more complex than "Foul the crap out of them and hope the refs don't call most of the fouls" it is Geno. He's got 3 point shooters so Iowa isn't going to be able just sit back in a zone watching the other team launch bricks all night. But Bluder has shown herself to be pretty good with the X's and O's too so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Reactions: cmhawks99
UConn scares me more than S. Carolina…for the reasons you mentioned. 11 titles.
No way. The games not won by what happened 5 years ago. SC is the DOG now, and thats clear. What 78-1 in the last 2 years with the loss to Iowa in last years final 4. Staley has won FOUR of the last five Naismith coach of the year awards. Not Geno, and this is not one of his better teams, (partly because of all the injuries). No discussion to be had here....

Main thing, we gotta be hitting our shots and score. I’d hate to see a repeat of the Duke game where they just could not make a basket. And yet UConn only won by 8 in an ugly finish, something like 53-45….

Nika Muhl is 5'11" and one of the best defensive players in the country. I think the game will come down to her covering CC and limiting her outside shots. Paige is a good defender that can switch off on CC too. They are tall for guards, so may be a little tougher to shoot over. I think they will try to keep her from getting the ball. Try to frustrate her by keeping the ball out of her hands, face guarding and denial defense. Get in her face and force her to drive...that's when she has most of her turnovers. Others will need to be hitting their shots to win this game. U Conn would probably like a game in the high 60's to mid 70's to win.
Agree. Biggest thing if CC gets defended well is how she handles—don’t panic please and start forcing. Use your skills and your teammates…I think we can do this.

Im interested to see who guards CC. Paige might be the first person she's faced all year that can match CC'S size and almost match her quickness. She's got some long arms which could really bother 22.

But that's a lot to ask your best offensive weapon. Do you risk wearing her out?

If the UCONN who beat USC shows up we'll have a very tough game on our hands; if it's the UCONN team that looked very average in the win against Duke on Saturday we'll win going away.

And it's bullshit the title game is at 3:00 esta on Sunday. Late game ends at 11:00-11:30 celebration, press conference, winding down adrenaline...you're not getting to bed until 3:00. Then all obligations Saturday...there's not enough time between games imo. It should be a night game.
Whining finished 🤣

A shocking stat to me was that LSU outrebounded us 54-36. Usually results are not good with such a lopsided stat.
Pretty sure we were out rebounded by big numbers last year in the tournament. Didn’t stop us from making the Final.

Nika Muhl is 5'11" and one of the best defensive players in the country. I think the game will come down to her covering CC and limiting her outside shots. Paige is a good defender that can switch off on CC too. They are tall for guards, so may be a little tougher to shoot over. I think they will try to keep her from getting the ball. Try to frustrate her by keeping the ball out of her hands, face guarding and denial defense. Get in her face and force her to drive...that's when she has most of her turnovers. Others will need to be hitting their shots to win this game. U Conn would probably like a game in the high 60's to mid 70's to win.

Well, I may be smoking crack, but I believe most of her turnovers come from errant passes?

In my humble opinion, if they force her to drive rather than shoot, I think that would be an extremely poor, coaching decision.

They are not very deep and drives lead fouls and free throws…

I personally wish she would drive to the rack more.

And I don’t wanna come off as challenging you. I might just be misremembering things, but I can remember lots and lots of passes that she has thrown that couldn’t be caught.

I even remember a game middle year that we may have ended up losing I don’t remember where she had bare minimum three passes Blocked and knocked down as she threw them… But now that I think of it, we may have come back in that game .

Regardless they did get knocked down. I don’t seriously remember her just losing the ball driving to the rack very often…🤷‍♂️

Someone help me out. An I way off here.

As far as hitting their shots, and again, not being a dick, but UCONN is going to have to be hitting their shots to win as well.

Again, I need to add our defense over the last 10 games, but in particular, the last three has been much much better.

No way. The games not won by what happened 5 years ago. SC is the DOG now, and thats clear. What 78-1 in the last 2 years with the loss to Iowa in last years final 4. Staley has won FOUR of the last five Naismith coach of the year awards. Not Geno, and this is not one of his better teams, (partly because of all the injuries). No discussion to be had here....
Our fans are living in the past. Staley beats Genos ass on a regular basis now.

Beuckers is averaging 28pts and 9 rebs thru 4 tourny games, significantly higher than her season averages. She has played all 40 minutes in her last 3 games, yes, but she’s been on fire and you know she will be motivated.

I hope Bluder has a plan cuz she is capable of carrying UCONN if this turns into a half-court grind.
Gabby will get her full attention I'll bet.

the game will be decided by 2-3 crucial calls by the refs. if the officials are in thrall of the all time winningest coach, we return home. but if the zebras are charged with keeping the caitlyn train on track we keep chugging. i expect the latter…it’s only common sense :)

Reactions: amahawk
They also missed a lot of second chance shots after the rebound and Iowa would come away with the ball.
Mostly due to being gassed from playing Iowa's run game. Too tired to miss shoot even a layup after a rebound.

Well, I may be smoking crack, but I believe most of her turnovers come from errant passes?

In my humble opinion, if they force her to drive rather than shoot, I think that would be an extremely poor, coaching decision.

They are not very deep and drives lead fouls and free throws…

I personally wish she would drive to the rack more.

And I don’t wanna come off as challenging you. I might just be misremembering things, but I can remember lots and lots of passes that she has thrown that couldn’t be caught.

I even remember a game middle year that we may have ended up losing I don’t remember where she had bare minimum three passes Blocked and knocked down as she threw them… But now that I think of it, we may have come back in that game .

Regardless they did get knocked down. I don’t seriously remember her just losing the ball driving to the rack very often…🤷‍♂️

Someone help me out. An I way off here.

As far as hitting their shots, and again, not being a dick, but UCONN is going to have to be hitting their shots to win as well.

Again, I need to add our defense over the last 10 games, but in particular, the last three has been much much better.
You are right...I meant she turns it over passing on her drives.

Our fans are living in the past. Staley beats Genos ass on a regular basis now.

Yeah…I think that’s my problem. I don’t think they deserve the credit I’m giving them, but….

As an aside Illinois beat Villanova by 14 in whatever post season tournament they are in.

I really don’t know what to think. On the one end I think we’re the better team, and I think we’re the better team by a 10 point plus margin.

I also realize we’re dealing with one of the 10 best coaches in the history of all sports in my humble opinion, and I’m not a fan per se. And they have copious amounts of talent.

I also think we’ve been undervalued and underappreciated most of the season.

I noticed ESPN has four of our players in the top 13 of the 25 best still in the final four. Yet they have us as the dog…🤷‍♂️

I really think HS is going to have a monster game and for those of you that don’t know… UCONN has five double digit losses to ranked teams throughout the season.

But they have also been playing very well as of late, although still not as dominant.

The PAC12 did have a hell of a season, but you’ll notice none of them. Made it to the final four. So I’m not really sure that USC win is that impressive?!

I think we are, at least as deep, I think we are actually a lot more experienced. I believe outside of PB I am not sure their next best players are as good, or at least playing as good as Kate Martin and Sydney Affolter.

Yes Edward’s is terrific and the Arnold girl can fly.

But they don’t rebound better, they don’t shoot better, I’m pretty confident they can’t keep up the pace, and I don’t think they’re nearly as physical as 10 other teams. We’ve already played this year, and beaten.

But it is UCONN and they are dangerous.

Most of you know, I’ve been high on this team all year, and I’ve consistently said the best team in the country is South Carolina and then we’re next.

I believe in this whole heartedly, and I still believe it, South Carolina, and then us. But I honestly don’t know what to tell you guys about this game…?

Thoughts….
I guess I’m mainlining the kool aide because with a legit reffing crew on a national stage permitting full freedom of movement, I truly believe Clark will overwhelm UConn. I don’t know if we win by 5 or 20, but we win.

Obviously there's always a chance that Clark's shot is off, but if you've seen her demeanor on the court the last 2 games she's just in a different place (determined). The game in my mind will come down to 3 things:

Caitlin hitting shots at a decent pace
Her teammates hitting open looks
Keeping it around even in the rebounding department.
She does look dialed in.

They perform your list and we'll be there at the end.

I guess I’m mainlining the kool aide because with a legit reffing crew on a national stage permitting full freedom of movement, I truly believe Clark will overwhelm UConn. I don’t know if we win by 5 or 20, but we win.

Keep drinking it brother, keep drinking it!

• Love
Reactions: Tenacious E
Keep drinking it brother, keep drinking it!
Jason Sudeikis Happy Dance GIF by Apple TV

It seems the first 2 games CC didn’t bring the ball up the court very often. The last game she almost did it every time which is when she is most dangerous. If CC gets the outlet pass clean it’ll be game over. Hawks are gonna win this one!!

I still think they are comparable to Indiana or OSU, and those games haven't been easy, but in the games Iowa played well they won decisively. We have an Affolter now, a Martin that was making a lot of plays the other night, and a Caitlin Clark that doesn't flinch at the big stage.

I watched a few UConn games this year, and I know they are playing better, are motivated as you would expect, but....

Iowa is going to run them right off the court.

Some of those were multiple offensive rebounds after missed shots.

Reactions: Ree4 and cmhawks99
Clark is going to have to take a facilitator approach this game, just like Colorado. I think UConn will key on her as if their lives depended on it. If Gabbie, Kate, and Hannah are hot, the game is ours to win.

I listen to a lady, also, on BTN suggest Yukon will go out of their way to limit our long past fast breaks, and that would have to be an obvious goal for any team, but one of you above made a great point. And it may have been @littlez That said to do that they can’t also commit to the offensive glass and that’s a big plus!

This team is fearless, uninhibited, and relentless. They don't watch the scoreboard or abandon their mission. Nothing will change against UConn. There will be points of emphasis and awareness, but no adjustments. They know how to box out, play defense, and run the floor.

Clark will be launching 3s and occasionally turning ball over always pushing the envelope. That's who she is.

If UConn can run the court with us for 40 minutes and outscore us, than they deserve the win. Our job is to make Uconn do just that. If they don't, they're going down.

This Iowa team is one of the best I've ever seen - mens's or women's. While we are nervous watching them, they are having the time of their lifes just playing ball. I wish I could be on the court Friday instead of being a wreck in front of the TV.

I would guess that Marshall gets that assignment. I don’t care if Marshall goes scoreless; if she holds Bueckers to her season average of 22 points I think Iowa will win this game.
If gabby is guarding Buekers then that is a big height difference and gabby will have to do it without letting her get the ball. If Paige goes to the low post they might need to switch.

I think Iowa may start out in a very quick, aggressive matchup type of zone.

If gabby is guarding Buekers then that is a big height difference and gabby will have to do it without letting her get the ball. If Paige goes to the low post they might need to switch.

I think Iowa may start out in a very quick, aggressive matchup type of zone.

Yes…but, if Gabby truly is 5-9 that is a significant difference than 5-7 HVL. She is also quicker and just in general a better defender than HVL.

Also I’m a PB fan, followed her pre college much like CC. She isn’t as quick or explosive as CC.

Granted Gabby isn’t guarding Cc, but I’ll confess. One of the things I hate about these message boards is the negativity begins to weigh on you and you start to think maybe the critics are right…

Case in point, I’ve seen it suggested that Gabby wasn’t “that great” a defender, and it certainly wasn’t enough to offset any other weakness that the board thought she had.

This tournament has shown she is a borderline game changing defender.

Thank goodness Lisa didn’t take the boards advice and bench her. She has been absolutely crucial down the stretch !

Paige will want to get in the lane, she isn’t going to pull up and hit 10 bombs in this game. Likely won’t even shoot 10. She has shot 194 on the season at a 41% clip.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Jfc my brothers. All this thinking and critiquing is making my head hurt. Thank god this game is what, 36-48 hours from now?? Let’s ****ing go and let’s play!!

Great thread btw. You all just stressing me out. I just need Caitlin to go be her and win the whole ****ing thing,

One of the things I hate about these message boards is the negativity begins to weigh on you and you start to think maybe the critics are right…
100%. Two weeks ago I was complaining we didn’t get UConn in our bracket. They were so obviously vulnerable, I also figured CC22 would love the chance to play them. Really was hoping to get them or Stanford over LSU, K-State, Colorado.

Instead we got the murderer’s row bracket. Forgot about UConn over time. A couple of weeks — and a ton of twitter scrolling — later now I’m nervous as hell lmao.

the game will be decided by 2-3 crucial calls by the refs. if the officials are in thrall of the all time winningest coach, we return home. but if the zebras are charged with keeping the caitlyn train on track we keep chugging. i expect the latter…it’s only common sense :)
Geno, is not the all time winningest coach. She already got knocked out of the tourney......

Yes, I followed that during the game, and was pretty shocked by it myself although it was a pregame concern, and I mentioned as much… With that said hell 12 of those rebounds came on probably four or five shots… Lol there were several trips where they had two and three offensive rebounds in the same possession…

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we will out rebound UCONN and maybe sizably.
Big question is how many is Geno going to send to the offensive boards. I am sure he is concerned about our transition game and does not want to give us easy lay ups. Plus, he only uses 7 players and does not want to wear them out trying to catch up in the transition game by sending too many to the offensive boards.

Geno is a very good coach, but does anyone really think that is going to be create some magic defense that Clark, Bluder and Iowa have not seen before? Other than the KSU game, Iowa's losses seem to be when the other team goes crazy on the offensive end.

I have only watched UCONN a couple of times, but what concerns me is their offense. They do a good job of moving the ball around, and Edwards is very polished in her moves/footwork around the basket. They certainly do not have the LSU athleticism and rebounding ability, but I actually think Iowa will have to work harder on the defensive end against UCONN.

Last edited:
OK, here is something I was surprised to find out… Turnovers forced per game.

West Virginia was third, Ohio State was 10th, LSU was 30th do you know where UConn ranks….

104th….
Again, UConn is not a get in your face 94 foot defensive team. They don’t have the speed and the depth to do it. They’ll pick up in half court man to man. We’re good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT