ADVERTISEMENT

You need three reliable scorers

Same as pretty much every year under Fran, I have no worries about scoring. Their offense may take a step back (in terms of efficiency) from the last couple of years, but it won't be a big step.

Like every other year, their success will be determined on the defensive end. If they can have an average (for a P5) defense, they'll have a really good season. If it's in the 100 range again, it could be a nail biter come Selection Sunday.

Last edited:
Who do you think will be first off the bench, Josh or Riley?
they won't be regularly higher than 9th or 10th off this list. Start the game and Rebraca gets two quick fouls? They slide Kris to the small 5 and bring in Connor at the 4. I would bet, without major improvement, there are 8 guys that pull more average minutes than either of those guys.

they won't be regularly higher than 9th or 10th off this list. Start the game and Rebraca gets two quick fouls? They slide Kris to the small 5 and bring in Connor at the 4. I would bet, without major improvement, there are 8 guys that pull more average minutes than either of those guys.
Or Payton, more likely.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Agreed. I think when Rebraca is out, you will see a smaller more athletic front-line of Kris, PMac, and Sandfort (and CMac occassionally) unless Riley or Josh prove during the non-con they are ready to make that jump. I am sure Riley and Josh will be used in league play against those teams like Purdue and Michigan where they need the bigger body.

Agreed. I think when Rebraca is out, you will see a smaller more athletic front-line of Kris, PMac, and Sandfort (and CMac occassionally) unless Riley or Josh prove during the non-con they are ready to make that jump. I am sure Riley and Josh will be used in league play against those teams like Purdue and Michigan where they need the bigger body.
I was glad to hear Rebraca has been working on his shot away from the basket. Opens up the lane and frankly puts him in a better spot to produce.

Reactions: owenhawk
I was glad to hear Rebraca has been working on his shot away from the basket. Opens up the lane and frankly puts him in a better spot to produce.
Fran has talked a lot lately about the need to be better at rebounding. Will be interesting to see if PMac progresses in that area.

Reactions: owenhawk and BBHawk
My take based on Fran’s brief comment in the recent press conference is that Josh is ahead of Riley at this point.

Limited data point so we’ll see.

I was really hoping that it would be Riley, but if Fran believes that Josh is ahead of Riley, so be it, as long as Josh doesn't make a fool of himself on the court. That's my only worry. Rebraca needs a backup and I really don't want to see Kris playing center.

I posted this on the previous page but based on this Q&A, I am not sure on how high Fran is on either RM or JO and it appears that their playing time will be based on (1) foul trouble of other players; (2) situations/match ups; (3) once the game has been decided in a blow out.

Here was that Q&A:

Q. How important is it to get something from your two post players this year?

FRAN McCAFFERY: Well, it's going to be really important against certain teams. It won't be as important against other teams. But as you know, you look around our league, there's some pretty imposing 5 men. Not only in terms of talent but physical size. You look at Edey and Dickinson in particular, those guys, Cliff. There's just a number of guys that are a handful. I thought Josh last year when we needed him to step up in those situations produced well, whether it was against Kofi, whether it was against Edey, he was good. Riley has got to get there.

We can probably expect Kris to get double teamed so that means the open guy can’t pass up the shot they need to be confident and take the shot.

Fran has talked a lot lately about the need to be better at rebounding. Will be interesting to see if PMac progresses in that area.

I posted this in the media day press conference thread but might as well here, too.

How can Iowa improve defensively, according to Fran:
* Put pressure on the ball
* Get in passing lanes, creating deflections
* THE BIGGEST WAY: Get the defensive rebounds (eliminating 2nd shots), because when you don't, how many times do we see either (1) an easy put back or (2) a kick out, wide open 3 make

Regarding PMac and others when it comes to rebounding, this is what Fran said:

I think you always worry in this league...do you have enough rebounding? Everybody wants to play small these days. It's OK to play small because why, because you're going to shoot a lot of 3s, you're going to drive the ball. But can you rebound effectively night-in and night-out. That's the challenge. Payton Sandfort is a really good rebounder. Tony Perkins is a really good rebounder. Connor McCaffery is a really good rebounder. Filip Rebraca is a really good rebounder, Kris. Patrick was solid; he's got to get a little bit better, and he has been. He's really focused on that. If you're going to play smaller and go with that versatility that you're referring to, we can't just all be dribble drive and kick-and-shoot 3s. Somebody has to rebound the ball, sometimes you have to go back and get it and you've got to limit the other team to one shot if you want to run the fast break. I say this all the time: We can run on makes, but we'd prefer to run on misses.

It’s real easy to throw Kris and Tony and Patrick and Peyton out there as big or steady scorers.

Who is gonna surprise? I’m on the Rebraca wagon, and I think Connor can be more of a threat this year. Would be nice if the 2 young guards could combine for double figure points.

I posted this in the media day press conference thread but might as well here, too.

How can Iowa improve defensively, according to Fran:
* Put pressure on the ball
* Get in passing lanes, creating deflections
* THE BIGGEST WAY: Get the defensive rebounds (eliminating 2nd shots), because when you don't, how many times do we see either (1) an easy put back or (2) a kick out, wide open 3 make

Regarding PMac and others when it comes to rebounding, this is what Fran said:

I think you always worry in this league...do you have enough rebounding? Everybody wants to play small these days. It's OK to play small because why, because you're going to shoot a lot of 3s, you're going to drive the ball. But can you rebound effectively night-in and night-out. That's the challenge. Payton Sandfort is a really good rebounder. Tony Perkins is a really good rebounder. Connor McCaffery is a really good rebounder. Filip Rebraca is a really good rebounder, Kris. Patrick was solid; he's got to get a little bit better, and he has been. He's really focused on that. If you're going to play smaller and go with that versatility that you're referring to, we can't just all be dribble drive and kick-and-shoot 3s. Somebody has to rebound the ball, sometimes you have to go back and get it and you've got to limit the other team to one shot if you want to run the fast break. I say this all the time: We can run on makes, but we'd prefer to run on misses.
That is certainly the team's hope. I believe he is athletic enough, but often rebounding is as much about "want to" than just physicality. Banger hasn't exactly been PMac's MO. One of the things that has kept him on the floor is he has typically avoided much foul trouble. The more physical he tries to get, may mean more fouls. But, that is why they play the games so we see.

Here’s the thing: we all know the blueprint. So does everyone else.

I don’t see a lot of things changing. Ever. And I’m not labeling it all bad.

We will score. Efficiently. We will defend in stretches.

There will be scoring lapses and bonanzas.

In my mind, this team will be fine and I hope we outscore people. That is the objective. I just feel that pushing the offense is Frans objective. He welcomes the challenge and thinks we’re better most of the time. I agree with his strategy. It worked last year, so why not?

Long answer, I think Kris, Tony, Filip, Peyton and Patrick provide plenty of double figure options and others may surprise. Offensively, we’re good. Defensively, I don’t think they care as much. The personnel may provide better self motivated defense, which is great. Just don’t look to remake the blueprint.
Here’s my take away from media day in relation to defense and a slightly different emphasis. Fran specifically said that down the stretch rebounding was improved and that (along with Tony in the lineup) was the difference. He specifically said that second chance points for the opposition, when they get the offensive rebound, results in a high percentage shot….either a wide open kick out 3 or a close to the basket put back. He further singled out Patrick as needing to improve his rebounding.

Fran basically said that better defensive rebounding would result in lower shooting percentages for the opponent……as the example he gave about better defense this year.

Reactions: owenhawk and BBHawk
Of those 4 best scorers, who can break us out of those 3 and 4 minute scoring slumps that Fran’s teams seem to struggle with once a half? Last year when we needed a bucket, Keegan would go get it.
Here's a hint. He looks just like the guy from last season..... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
We can probably expect Kris to get double teamed so that means the open guy can’t pass up the shot they need to be confident and take the shot.
I was a Toussaint fan but man he did that a lot last year. Keegan would get double teamed, two passes later Toussaint caught it for a wide open three...only to hold the ball & allow the defense to recover.

Here’s my take away from media day in relation to defense and a slightly different emphasis. Fran specifically said that down the stretch rebounding was improved and that (along with Tony in the lineup) was the difference. He specifically said that second chance points for the opposition, when they get the offensive rebound, results in a high percentage shot….either a wide open kick out 3 or a close to the basket put back. He further singled out Patrick as needing to improve his rebounding.

Fran basically said that better defensive rebounding would result in lower shooting percentages for the opponent……as the example he gave about better defense this year.
I can get on board with that;)

I think Rebraca seemed more and more comfortable as the year went on. I think jumping to playing high-major, it took him a while to get his confidence and realize that he could consistently play at this high-level.

I feel like we are going to see a really good Senior yr from Rebraca.

I think Rebraca seemed more and more comfortable as the year went on. I think jumping to playing high-major, it took him a while to get his confidence and realize that he could consistently play at this high-level.

I feel like we are going to see a really good Senior yr from Rebraca.
What I said.

If anyone is likely to take a huge step forward, its definitely the 7th year 25 year old!

I hope he does well but if I have to watch the 3rd straight year of a guy taking minutes away from players who are clearly better than him, I may scream. Who am I kidding.. you know its going to happen

The answer would be that you fail to see the many, smart plays CMAC makes that other are seeing.

Defense is still going to be poor. Fran loses a minus defender in JayBo, but loses the FT closer. JoeT is a loss. Kris likely to be a stud, but unlikely to match Keegan. PMac is minus defender. Possibly NCAA tourney team. Possibly they can top out with sweet16. A coach like Fran, can he really go 0 for a career making sweet16s? He's due by random chance that the opponent gets food poisoining and Iowa somehow makes a sweet16. Heck ISU did it.

The answer would be that you fail to see the many, smart plays CMAC makes that other are seeing.

Defense is still going to be poor. Fran loses a minus defender in JayBo, but loses the FT closer. JoeT is a loss. Kris likely to be a stud, but unlikely to match Keegan. PMac is minus defender. Possibly NCAA tourney team. Possibly they can top out with sweet16. A coach like Fran, can he really go 0 for a career making sweet16s? He's due by random chance that the opponent gets food poisoining and Iowa somehow makes a sweet16. Heck ISU did it.

If you buy into defensive metrics, they lost their 2 best (Keegan/Joe T) and their 2nd worst (JBo). Everyone else is back. Hopefully the combo of Bowen and Dix is better than JBo, Kris and AU can step up and replicate Keegan and JT and that Payton (the one guy worse than JBo of the regulars) makes a big improvement.

If you buy into defensive metrics, they lost their 2 best (Keegan/Joe T) and their 2nd worst (JBo). Everyone else is back. Hopefully the combo of Bowen and Dix is better than JBo, Kris and AU can step up and replicate Keegan and JT and that Payton (the one guy worse than JBo of the regulars) makes a big improvement.
It Iowa can play Defense in the ball park close to like they did after Perkins was inserted in the starting line-up, I think they are in for a pretty good year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT