ADVERTISEMENT

You say attrition, I say genius

gryzz14

Rookie
Sep 24, 2004
Why are so many getting upset over transfers of players? Is it because you do not realize the genius of Kirk Ferentz?

1. Jake Ruddock: Yes, he could have been a valuable backup for our current starting QB that was injured a few times last year. However, Ferentz instead chose to send him to Michigan, who plays Minnesota and Northwestern next year. That's one more loss for 2 teams in our division. Plus, we get revenge for last year's blow out by denying Minny the jug.

2. Reggie Spearman: Yeah, he had the upside of a Clayborn if Iowa could get him to switch to DE. But now he is our man on the inside at Illinois St. Guaranteed win when Spearman plays poorly on purpose.

3. John Kenny: Sure, he could have started two years at FB. But rumors have him wanting to go to NDSU. Why? Ferentz's plan for another guaranteed win in a couple of years with our mole.

4. AJ Derby: Ferentz knows some of you traitors want Bielema. AJ was sent to help Bielema turn a first year 3-9 season into a Ferentzian 7-6 season after Bielema "somehow" convinced him to go to TE. The result was a contract extension to 2020, one year after Ferentz's contract runs out. Coincidence? I think not!

5. Derrick Willies: I am not going to assume I can always figure out what Ferentz is trying to do. I can only assume that Ferentz has gauged the future of Iowa football and Missouri football and knows we will play a bowl game against each other in the future, where Willies will "harmon" the Tigers.

Sure, some short-sighted, glass-half-full fans may say Iowa lost a quality backup QB, a 2 year FB, a pass rush DE, an NFL draft TE, and a promising WR because coaches could not convince them to stay and/or change position. But, we gained the elimination of 1/3 of our competition for the West title next year, 2 wins over top 25 FCS teams, the elimination of a distraction to Ferentz's coaching, and a future bowl win. Just like trading future prospects in baseball to win now, Ferentz traded young players with game experience for wins.

In terms of Derby, it took a transfer move for him to realize the Iowa coaches were right. If anything, AJ ending up a TE reinforces Kirk's projection of him. He chose to leave because he thought he was smarter than the coaches. He was wrong. Worked out well for him because (like Iowa predicted) he ended up being a great TE.

• 1. The only transfer that baffles me is Willies. Hurts to lose that type of "potential" talent.
  • Ruduck, he was going to lose one of the QB's....I think most fans are ok with this one.
  • Spearman: he peaked at his position, not willing to switch to DE which the coaches wanted(he reread his HS press clippings one time too many).
  • AJ Derby: obviously, he was not objective about his skill set at Iowa, and didn't want to listen to the coaches.
  • Kenny: guessing he did not want to be a fullback.
  • Goebel, Rucker, Shimonek, were all looking for playing time. Too much talent in front of them. These players, in my opinion, realistically assessed their potential playing time.

Reactions: BEAN DOG
Yeah, ferentz was a dick to derby, playing him at a position of need and all, that he actually played pretty well.

Concerning the site layout: why is there only a like button? Why not a dislike button. That would be fun!

Why are so many getting upset over transfers of players? Is it because you do not realize the genius of Kirk Ferentz?

1. Jake Ruddock: Yes, he could have been a valuable backup for our current starting QB that was injured a few times last year. However, Ferentz instead chose to send him to Michigan, who plays Minnesota and Northwestern next year. That's one more loss for 2 teams in our division. Plus, we get revenge for last year's blow out by denying Minny the jug.

2. Reggie Spearman: Yeah, he had the upside of a Clayborn if Iowa could get him to switch to DE. But now he is our man on the inside at Illinois St. Guaranteed win when Spearman plays poorly on purpose.

3. John Kenny: Sure, he could have started two years at FB. But rumors have him wanting to go to NDSU. Why? Ferentz's plan for another guaranteed win in a couple of years with our mole.

4. AJ Derby: Ferentz knows some of you traitors want Bielema. AJ was sent to help Bielema turn a first year 3-9 season into a Ferentzian 7-6 season after Bielema "somehow" convinced him to go to TE. The result was a contract extension to 2020, one year after Ferentz's contract runs out. Coincidence? I think not!

5. Derrick Willies: I am not going to assume I can always figure out what Ferentz is trying to do. I can only assume that Ferentz has gauged the future of Iowa football and Missouri football and knows we will play a bowl game against each other in the future, where Willies will "harmon" the Tigers.

Sure, some short-sighted, glass-half-full fans may say Iowa lost a quality backup QB, a 2 year FB, a pass rush DE, an NFL draft TE, and a promising WR because coaches could not convince them to stay and/or change position. But, we gained the elimination of 1/3 of our competition for the West title next year, 2 wins over top 25 FCS teams, the elimination of a distraction to Ferentz's coaching, and a future bowl win. Just like trading future prospects in baseball to win now, Ferentz traded young players with game experience for wins.

So, if attrition is genius, who was the GENIUS who recruited them in the first place?! Sorry, but Ferentz has recruited this team into the ground!

This was good, good laugh, well done.

I'm excited about our new HC in 2016!

HA! I think that's spot-on

i think OP's genius was lost on most of the replies here...or you're all just stuck in negativetown.

• 1. The only transfer that baffles me is Willies. Hurts to lose that type of "potential" talent.
  • Ruduck, he was going to lose one of the QB's....I think most fans are ok with this one.
  • Spearman: he peaked at his position, not willing to switch to DE which the coaches wanted(he reread his HS press clippings one time too many).
  • AJ Derby: obviously, he was not objective about his skill set at Iowa, and didn't want to listen to the coaches.
  • Kenny: guessing he did not want to be a fullback.
  • Goebel, Rucker, Shimonek, were all looking for playing time. Too much talent in front of them. These players, in my opinion, realistically assessed their potential playing time.
Link to where Spearman refused to move to DE? Kenney had already moved back to LB.. Shimonek stated the " offensive system" wasn't for him...Goebel barely made it onto the roster before last season. Complete whiff in evaluation there...Looking at the 2 deeps on the O-line, he must have been either completely checked out or is/was horrible..

Link to where Spearman refused to move to DE?

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...ress-conference-roundup-week-6-the-other-side

Q. Spearman appears to be an incredible athlete. How is he taking the weak sided linebacker? Is that his ultimate position? Do you see him essentially in transitioning a year or two outside maybe down line?

COACH PARKER: I think the possibility that it could happen. He does get in the Raider package, and becomes a rusher on the edge. It all depends on how much he grows and how much weight he puts on, and can he do it in a consistent basis to go on and take offensive linemen on. Right now we feel like this is the best position for him. When we need to, we'll put him in rushing situations in our subpackages, but eventually it could. If he keeps on growing and getting to 245, 250 we might put him down. But I'm sure if he hears that, he's going to stay down to where he's at.

That last sentence is interesting: Spearman apparently wants to stay at linebacker, even though he's likely falling behind Jewell at weakside and the Alston/Perry logjam at strongside. He's been a solid run-stopper this year, going so far as to help move the senior Alston into position occasionally when necessary, but Reggie's been exposed by both UNI and Iowa State in the passing game. If he can get to the proper size, he's an intriguing defensive end prospect. But it's better to have him at linebacker and happy than defensive end and playing elsewhere, and Reggie remains a bit of a concern on that front.

you definitely should have gone with only two options in this poll, no and f$ck no.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...ress-conference-roundup-week-6-the-other-side

Q. Spearman appears to be an incredible athlete. How is he taking the weak sided linebacker? Is that his ultimate position? Do you see him essentially in transitioning a year or two outside maybe down line?

COACH PARKER: I think the possibility that it could happen. He does get in the Raider package, and becomes a rusher on the edge. It all depends on how much he grows and how much weight he puts on, and can he do it in a consistent basis to go on and take offensive linemen on. Right now we feel like this is the best position for him. When we need to, we'll put him in rushing situations in our subpackages, but eventually it could. If he keeps on growing and getting to 245, 250 we might put him down. But I'm sure if he hears that, he's going to stay down to where he's at.

That last sentence is interesting: Spearman apparently wants to stay at linebacker, even though he's likely falling behind Jewell at weakside and the Alston/Perry logjam at strongside. He's been a solid run-stopper this year, going so far as to help move the senior Alston into position occasionally when necessary, but Reggie's been exposed by both UNI and Iowa State in the passing game. If he can get to the proper size, he's an intriguing defensive end prospect. But it's better to have him at linebacker and happy than defensive end and playing elsewhere, and Reggie remains a bit of a concern on that front.
Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT