ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Dykstra commits to Miami

Some guys like the idea of being able to say they went to play at a glitzy program. It's an ego thing.

That and playing in front of 10,000 fans must be intriguing.

oh well. next. so we have up next for a instate kid or other than Clark from NJ who by 247 is warm to IA, is out there as IA only offered 4 OL to date,

any guesses?

Their 5 national championships trumps Iowas 1.
Well in that case he should have went to Minnesota. They have seven national titles. Their Message Board is even titled "7 National Titles"

656617525.jpg

http://fansided.com/2015/11/21/university-miami-hurricanes-empty-seats-senior-day/

http://fansided.com/2015/11/21/university-miami-hurricanes-empty-seats-senior-day/

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/s...to-miami-hurricanes-games-at-sun-life-6523409

Last edited:
Their 5 national championships trumps Iowas 1.

Minnesota's 7 national championships trumps Miami's 5.

I don't believe that distant past championships play much of a role, if any, in a recruit's present decision-making process.

Besides, Miami is a modern era leader in NCAA violations and major sanctions. If I was a recruit, I would be much more interested in determining where the program stands in that regard than past NCs.

I believe Zach still might end up at Iowa but if he doesn't, best of luck to him. Still a long time to NSD and their will be plenty of changes in verbal commitments between now and then.

I guess we were both thinking the same thing re: the relevance of past NCs. The level of corruption and cheating at the Univ. of Miami in the past 20-25 years has been staggering even though nothing has surfaced recently. NCAA should have a field office on campus.

No idea on his thoughts but could be we have a lot of depth on the OL and he felt a chance to play and contribute a lot earlier at Miami??? Depth is great but it can prevent you from getting kids from time-to-time as well.

Interesting decision. Maybe he wanted to get away from Iowa during college. Miami would be a nice place to spend your college days.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Maybe he has a Cuban background..... or a cute "tour guide".....or liked the money.... or he just wanted to get away from home.....or who knows. 18 year olds don't often make the best decisions.

Good luck to him. If we'd get lucky and land Clark I'd be a happy camper too. I don't think you'll see us reach for a "lesser recruit" in the o-line. We've got a lot of nice talent in the pipeline as we stand at the moment.

From a pure football perspective, Iowa makes more sense. From an educational, cultural, and social experience Miami might be attractive. He spent 18 years living in Spirit Lake. Now he can meet new people from all different geographies and walks of life at a pretty well-regarded private school that is located in a diverse, vibrant city, far from where he grew up. It would be an exciting opportunity.

They party on boats and have an endless supply of hot girls. Different stuff is important to 18 year olds. Playing time might be another draw. He likely wasn't going to see the field at Iowa until at least his third, maybe fourth year in the program.

Good for him if he does go to the U. If I was blessed to have a scholarship offer from several big schools ... and have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to live in Florida ... heck yes I would take it. Good for him. Get out and experience the world while you can/while you are young. And if football affords you the opportunity to do just that then go for it ... Don't let Iowa be the one and only place you have called home ... There is so much more out there to see ... After college I moved to Oregon ... And while I did eventually return to Iowa (Des Moines) I always appreciated that I had the chance to live on the coast. I travel often for work ... and yeah, it's good to be able to open your eyes to what's outside of Iowa. As fans we get caught up in saying a kid should "play at Iowa" simply because he is from Iowa ... I say explore your options ... Good for him ...

Miami in the summer sucks. Too humid and hot. Miami campus is not in the nicest part of town but whatever floats his boat. Maybe he had his feathers ruffled because Wirfs and Kallenberger were offered first.

I see him as a guard more than a tackle. When we lose an o-lineman it doesn't bother me as much as losing a QB, RB, WR or DB. They are harder to recruit to Iowa.

Best of luck to the young man, guess he wasn't as big of a Hawkeye fan growing up as everyone stated.

Miami is one of the worst places I have ever visited in my life, and no, I'm not old. I'm sure there are worse places. I've never been to Mogadishu.

Reactions: Herkystwin2
No idea on his thoughts but could be we have a lot of depth on the OL and he felt a chance to play and contribute a lot earlier at Miami??? Depth is great but it can prevent you from getting kids from time-to-time as well.
That was part of my thinking too. But, there is some allure for certain people that want that local reputation of being the hometown boy that got noticed by a program with a bit of a glitzy reputation.

It's ego. Mostly.

He may come around. Maybe he enjoys the ride until closers to NSD and then becomes a "hero" and stays home.

Maybe not. He may simply be afraid he might have to put in the time in order to get on the field at Iowa

They party on boats and have an endless supply of hot girls. Different stuff is important to 18 year olds. Playing time might be another draw. He likely wasn't going to see the field at Iowa until at least his third, maybe fourth year in the program.

That's important to everyone ;)

its possible IA will lose one starter maybe 2 if RSSR Ward starts at LG
right now the roster shapes up like this
RSSR's Croston, Ward, Ferentz and Keppy
RSJR's Meyer, Boettger, Welsh and LS Kulver
RSSO Legrand, Ferguson, Reynolds, Render and SO Daniels
RSFR Levi and Landon Paulson, Newborg, Waechter and LS Schubert
that's 10 under classmen, that's will make any kid rethink his opportunities. remember he is not some top 25 5* player that is not afraid of competition.

starting for Miami is not exactly a small time school and the new Miami coach can offer playing time right away vs at IA he may have to wait a couple years.

its possible IA will lose one starter maybe 2 if RSSR Ward starts at LG
right now the roster shapes up like this
RSSR's Croston, Ward, Ferentz and Keppy
RSJR's Meyer, Boettger, Welsh and LS Kulver
RSSO Legrand, Ferguson, Reynolds, Render and SO Daniels
RSFR Levi and Landon Paulson, Newborg, Waechter and LS Schubert
that's 10 under classmen, that's will make any kid rethink his opportunities. remember he is not some top 25 5* player that is not afraid of competition.

starting for Miami is not exactly a small time school and the new Miami coach can offer playing time right away vs at IA he may have to wait a couple years.
For what it's worth Boone Meyers is at left guard right now.
The line should like this
Lt croston
Lg Meyers
C Daniels
Rg welsh
Rt boettger
Idk who will be off the bench as the line replacement I assume ward or furgerson.,

In listening to, and watching, Richt I always thought that he and Ferentz were quite similar.

Reactions: The_Gent
From a pure football perspective, Iowa makes more sense. From an educational, cultural, and social experience Miami might be attractive. He spent 18 years living in Spirit Lake. Now he can meet new people from all different geographies and walks of life at a pretty well-regarded private school that is located in a diverse, vibrant city, far from where he grew up. It would be an exciting opportunity.
I live in a "diverse, vibrant city". I'd take Spirit Lake in a heartbeat over any of those "wonderful opportunities".

Miami is warm. There's the intrigue.

Reactions: aintlifeordeath
Miami is not the exotic shangra la some people on here seem to think it is. Whatever floats your boat.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/m...life-in-america-according-to-analysis-6536888

Have you ever been there? If people can't understand why a 18 year old kid would pick Miami over Iowa City then there is no hope for you. Personally I would take IC but imagine 18 years old and going to South Beach instead of Melrose Avenue. I mean it can at least be understood how this could happen.

For what it's worth Boone Meyers is at left guard right now.
The line should like this
Lt croston
Lg Meyers
C Daniels
Rg welsh
Rt boettger
Idk who will be off the bench as the line replacement I assume ward or furgerson.,
I think you may see Welsh and Daniels switch, Ferentz prefers someone with experience at the center position. They make all the calls along the line.

That was part of my thinking too. But, there is some allure for certain people that want that local reputation of being the hometown boy that got noticed by a program with a bit of a glitzy reputation.

It's ego. Mostly.

He may come around. Maybe he enjoys the ride until closers to NSD and then becomes a "hero" and stays home.

Maybe not. He may simply be afraid he might have to put in the time in order to get on the field at Iowa

Good God. This kid is 16/17 years old and you just labeled him as egotistical and afraid of hard work. Take a look in the mirror.

Miami is not the exotic shangra la some people on here seem to think it is. Whatever floats your boat.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/m...life-in-america-according-to-analysis-6536888
I travel to Miami often for work (my manager is located there). Miami is a great city. It's one of my favorite cities to spend time in. Yes, it has its bad areas (as does every big city) ... If you have a degree and if you have a job, Miami would be a great place to call home. Every large metro areas has pros and cons. Every single one of them do. That's what you get in larger cities.

As for being a college athlete on a free ride ... living in Miami ... heck yes!

I think enough about Miami that I almost moved there 2 years ago ... and I may one day still call Miami home ... You take the good with the bad ... as in every town/city across the country.

Better for him to end up somewhere like Miami and have success than end up at another Big Ten school or Lames and be a good OL for them.

Again I can think of a lot more worse places you could spend your 4-5 years of college than Miami.

Some guys like the idea of being able to say they went to play at a glitzy program. It's an ego thing.

That and playing in front of 10,000 fans must be intriguing.

Or maybe he wants amazing weather year round instead of 6 months of crappy weather.

This is a bummer, he seems like a great kid and I really wanted him to come to Iowa. I think he will be very good no matter where he goes. However, with that being said I do have to question any kid that really wants to be the best at his craft choosing a school because of weather. Which is why I would assume he chose Miami for other reason other than just weather. I just wonder what that reason is, for every good piece of history from Miami (don't get me wrong there is plenty of that) there is bad history as well. I mean their was not just one 30 for 30 based on scandals with Miami football, but 2 freaking 30 for 30's about scandals dealing with the football program. There are artcles about "reasons people don't go to Miami football games" "Playing in NFL Stadium makes Miami football look depressing".Heck just google Miami football attendance and boom those are the articles. We complained about being down with 64,000 in the stands, their highest was 51,000 and the rest were in the 40K range...seat same as Kinnick.. I get it, Miami weather is fantastic and what a fun city...but cmon you can own a home in Miami after you sign a NFL contract. I'd get it if it was OSU, Stanford, Bama, heck even MSU or Clemson....but Miami, No just no!

I don't have the data to back that up but I would think Miami has put almost as many OL in the NFL as Iowa has in the past 16 years under KF's watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT