ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Petersen

Yea he's a DE. If I'm not mistaken, he received the offer in absentia, as he is visiting ISU tonight. He's a clone legacy if he commits there.

Do we need more DE’s?
We only took one in last years class (Eppy and as you now, he didn't RS) and only have one in this class (Waggoner), so yes, we need another one otherwise in 3 or 4 years we could end up like we did at OT this year. Senior OT's get hurt, a little attrition, and there's not many bodies between them and the Freshmen. If they don't get Peterson, then I would say Mosai Newsom is their top target next year (besides Duggan). Ideally they would like to get 1 or 2 a year (depending on attrition) to keep the shelf stocked. They are showing not even having any other DE in the pipeline for this year's class (outside of Peterson's recent offer) and there is only 1 or 2 in the pipeline for 2019, although they're saying that Logan Lee may be thought about there as opposed to TE.

We only took one in last years class (Eppy and as you now, he didn't RS) and only have one in this class (Waggoner), so yes, we need another one otherwise in 3 or 4 years we could end up like we did at OT this year. Senior OT's get hurt, a little attrition, and there's not many bodies between them and the Freshmen. If they don't get Peterson, then I would say Mosai Newsom is their top target next year (besides Duggan). Ideally they would like to get 1 or 2 a year (depending on attrition) to keep the shelf stocked. They are showing not even having any other DE in the pipeline for this year's class (outside of Peterson's recent offer) and there is only 1 or 2 in the pipeline for 2019, although they're saying that Logan Lee may be thought about there as opposed to TE.

Iowa also has Chauncey Gholston, only a reshirt freshman. Some insiders have stated the coaches love his potential. When he packs a little more muscle on look out. Iowa also has a good shot at Jason Bargy besides Newsom for the '19 class. Peterson looks like a good prospect but I think we will be just fine if he doesn't jump on board.

This is very reasonable, but I think some people are looking at the sequence of events with some confusion.

A week ago, Ferentz told Waggoner they weren't going to take a DE, and they also canceled DE Leonard Taylor's visit. Now, they're looking to take two?

As Homer posted somewhere, the latest offers are possibly due to getting some information about which players are not planning to stay with the team. So maybe they now know there's a DE or two leaving. When the public roster gets updated, it will help make sense of their strategy. But currently, we're in the dark, and I can understand why some people are perplexed.

Duggan is far from their top target for next year.

This is very reasonable, but I think some people are looking at the sequence of events with some confusion.

A week ago, Ferentz told Waggoner they weren't going to take a DE, and they also canceled DE Leonard Taylor's visit. Now, they're looking to take two?

As Homer posted somewhere, the latest offers are possibly due to getting some information about which players are not planning to stay with the team. So maybe they now know there's a DE or two leaving. When the public roster gets updated, it will help make sense of their strategy. But currently, we're in the dark, and I can understand why some people are perplexed.
Very good point. I've been wondering that myself and that suspicion played into my post some, as guys like Shulte and McKnight (for example) came in behind (from injuries) and the prospect of them ever 'catching up' and having legitimate chances of seeing meaningful playing time are looking slim. They are both just RSFR so they are still young enough to land somewhere and have some opportunities, so there may be some 'talk' about them (or others) leaving that has played into the change of gears by the coaching staff.

Duggan is far from their top target for next year.
You may be right, but I was just going by what 247 said at this time are our 3 top targets next year . They have Duggan, Tracy (who's already committed), and Newsome. Understand where I was coming from?

One could make a good argument that some WR's or LB's should be our top targets, but I won't proclaim to know which ones.

Iowa also has Chauncey Gholston, only a reshirt freshman. Some insiders have stated the coaches love his potential. When he packs a little more muscle on look out. Iowa also has a good shot at Jason Bargy besides Newsom for the '19 class. Peterson looks like a good prospect but I think we will be just fine if he doesn't jump on board.
I've been talking about Gholston on a continuous basis for the last couple weeks, you must not have seen those posts. I've been saying that they are going to have a hard time keeping him off the field, which is why I've said numerous times that I believe they are going to move Brincks (good size, probably plays with better leverage than anyone on the line outside of Bazata or Hesse) inside to shore up that rotation and get Gholston into the rotation at DE. I really like the prospect of our D-line depth looking like this (sorry, I don't do 'stars' or 40 times, lol).
LDE- A Nelson/Gholston
RDE- Hesse/Epenesa
DT- M. Nelson/Lattimore
DT- Brincks/Rieff/Nixon?

Lots of experience and talent amongst that bunch!

Actually we took three DE's in last years class alone. Beside AJ, Iowa also lists freshman Coy Kirkpatrick 6'5" 265, and Levi Duwa 6'2" 225 at DE. I believe both redshirted this season. I also don't see AJ or anyone else needing to move to tackle,(except in special packages), as we have some young pups who played well this year, and three big boys coming in the next class at DT, in Nixon, Shannon, and Linderbaum.

Don’t remember KF telling anybody they weren’t taking a DE?

^ Kirkpatrick is currently listed at OL on the roster. Otherwise, yep.
Thanks for the update SC. I took the info off of the 2017 recruited class at the top of the page, and not the current roster. Either way we look to be in good shape on the DL for the foreseeable future.

Actually we took three DE's in last years class alone. Beside AJ, Iowa also lists freshman Coy Kirkpatrick 6'5" 265, and Levi Duwa 6'2" 225 at DE. I believe both redshirted this season. I also don't see AJ or anyone else needing to move to tackle,(except in special packages), as we have some young pups who played well this year, and three big boys coming in the next class at DT, in Nixon, Shannon, and Linderbaum.
What the recruiting sites list them as and what they were recruited as aren't always the same thing. Some still list Plumb as a TE for example. Kirkpatrick was never recruited as a DE and some sites listed him as a DE and others as a OL, and it was my understanding that Duwa was recruited as a DT project, but yes, you are correct, some sites had both of them listed as DE's. Neither one will ever play DE and I thought everyone understood that or I would have listed them. So, I stand by my statement that we only took one DE in last years class.

I don't think that we know yet where we're projecting all of the big-bodies guys we've offered and/or taken on. With the sound of Torres swinging to another school - the offer to Petersen could be as political as anything. As others have indicated, our chances of landing Petersen are exceedingly low ... since he grew up an ISU fan and got earlier offers from other P5 schools ... but the fact that we've still offered him is a good olive branch to his high school coaches.

What the recruiting sites list them as and what they were recruited as aren't always the same thing. Some still list Plumb as a TE for example. Kirkpatrick was never recruited as a DE and some sites listed him as a DE and others as a OL, and it was my understanding that Duwa was recruited as a DT project, but yes, you are correct, some sites had both of them listed as DE's. Neither one will ever play DE and I thought everyone understood that or I would have listed them. So, I stand by my statement that we only took one DE in last years class.
Well then I guess this is where I make my apology for misleading the masses. As I stated, I see now that Kirkpatrick has been moved to the OL Now I don't have insider info, as you seem to claim you do, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I have to go off what I read. On both the committment list for 2017 and the current roster, it lists Duwa as a DE. Given that he missed most of his senior year with a leg injury , I believe, and he still weighs like 235 lbs, he's got a lot of work to do to ever play DT at Iowa. But what do I know, heck maybe he ends up being a fullback.
As for the other LB size projects that KF turned into DT's, (King, Kruel, and Klug), that was more out of few other options. We just didn't have many big boys to plug in for the most part. That does not appear to be the case now. Besides some of the young pups who played quality minutes this year, the addition of Nixon, Shannon, and Linderbaum will make for stiff competition.

Yea he's a DE. If I'm not mistaken, he received the offer in absentia, as he is visiting ISU tonight. He's a clone legacy if he commits there.
He didn't go to Iowa St. last night, he's actually leaving tonite after they get back from their wrestling tourny in Dubuque.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Well then I guess this is where I make my apology for misleading the masses. As I stated, I see now that Kirkpatrick has been moved to the OL Now I don't have insider info, as you seem to claim you do, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I have to go off what I read. On both the committment list for 2017 and the current roster, it lists Duwa as a DE. Given that he missed most of his senior year with a leg injury , I believe, and he still weighs like 235 lbs, he's got a lot of work to do to ever play DT at Iowa. But what do I know, heck maybe he ends up being a fullback.
As for the other LB size projects that KF turned into DT's, (King, Kruel, and Klug), that was more out of few other options. We just didn't have many big boys to plug in for the most part. That does not appear to be the case now. Besides some of the young pups who played quality minutes this year, the addition of Nixon, Shannon, and Linderbaum will make for stiff competition.
I don't think you owe anyone an apology. They were listed as DE's so your statement was sound. And I'm not sure who Duwa is working with at this time, there was just a lot of talk right from the get go (even the different message board 'reporters') that he was a DT project which is why I didn't list him. I could be wrong. I am once in a while and have no problem saying so when I am.

Duwa came in at about 265, and was more than holding his own before his injury this year. There is a plan in place for him.

Another intriguing question is this ... when will the coaches propose position moves to some of the guys buried on the depth chart on the DL? What positions will they be proposed to move to? Will that lead to attrition ... or will it bolster depth elsewhere?

Duwa came in at about 265, and was more than holding his own before his injury this year. There is a plan in place for him.
Well I guess I'm misinformed again. How do you guys find out this information, or do you know all these people personally? The updated roster for this season lists him at 235, and you say he CAME IN at 265lbs? In the committment list it has him at 225lbs, so I would have figured he put on 10 lbs to get to the 235. Did he actually put on 40 lbs in the offseason?

Well I guess I'm misinformed again. How do you guys find out this information, or do you know all these people personally? The updated roster for this season lists him at 235, and you say he CAME IN at 265lbs? In the committment list it has him at 225lbs, so I would have figured he put on 10 lbs to get to the 235. Did he actually put on 40 lbs in the offseason?
Pretty sure he hulked up toward the end of his senior year as he recovered from a second foot surgery. He came in last summer closer to 265 and through camp and so forth shed some weight.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Yeah, don’t trust those lists ; ) They use the weights listed from their SR year football measurements. There were a couple weights that were inaccurate : )

He played his SR year at about 235. Had surgery, rehabbed, took care of his diet really well and worked out hard. At the start of track he was in the upper 250’s, and reported to Iowa at 265 (might have been 262 now that I think about it, but 265 seems to stick in my head).

As mentioned, Coy Kirkpatrick is on the O-line and I think Duwa ends up at DT. Go Hawks!

As mentioned, Coy Kirkpatrick is on the O-line and I think Duwa ends up at DT. Go Hawks!
Thanks, but Muskie schooled me on that some time back. Thats what I get for actually looking at the roster and other things available to us long distance Hawks. So sorry........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT