ADVERTISEMENT

Zadick, Metcalf, and St John

Think he meant wrestlers.
He was being sarcastic. But yeah...they followed like sheep to yesterday's slaughter.

I think people are underestimating some potential reasons for all the defections in the program.
Dresser seems to be quick in shifting focus away from himself, imo.

Adding Gomez, Coleman, Mackall, and Carr to the lineup next will make them much more competitive. Foca and Shapiro the following year will also help.

Adding Gomez, Coleman, Mackall, and Carr to the lineup next will make them much more competitive. Foca and Shapiro the following year will also help.
Agree ...As bad as KJ was, this group is sad. There is only one way to go, but if they are 3-4 years from being average, I redshirt Carr and hope the fans continue to blame Cael/KJ and give Dresser a pass.

I'm as big of an ISU hater as anyone and I know how much fun it is to "Go MitchL" on ISU but let's face it--we've gone a little overboard. This is less than 1 year into a several year rebuilding program and the defections of KJ guys--though odd during the season--isn't exactly unexpected in cases like this. My sense is that Dresser might be wise to shake up his staff at some point in the coming years but some are jumping to some big conclusions based off the early results of a rebuild job. The list of sports programs that suffered hard in year 1 with many bumps in the road in situations like this are endless.

Reactions: depelland
I'm as big of an ISU hater as anyone and I know how much fun it is to "Go MitchL" on ISU but let's face it--we've gone a little overboard. This is less than 1 year into a several year rebuilding program and the defections of KJ guys--though odd during the season--isn't exactly unexpected in cases like this. My sense is that Dresser might be wise to shake up his staff at some point in the coming years but some are jumping to some big conclusions based off the early results of a rebuild job. The list of sports programs that suffered hard in year 1 with many bumps in the road in situations like this are endless.
I think a fair comparison is Iowa Football in 1999 to ISU wrestling in 17-18. One big difference is the fight, ISU had no fight at all yesterday. I think KD gets a pass and should show some results by 19-20. I just wish he wouldn't come across like a whiny little bitch. BTW, when is the last time ISU was shut out at nationals?

Reactions: wasdt21
Given what we're seeing from VTech this season, it could be argued that Robie was the real leader that was the strength of that program

Perhaps Dresser saw the handwriting on the wall and bolted before he was forced out.
The fact that only one guy followed them to Ames should not be discounted.

The "only one guy" didn't follow Dresser, necessarily. He knew Zadick & St. John before committing to VT & loved how they coached/coach him. I know I said it in another post last week but he loves the coaches & ISU. He's big on St. John coaching him. Believe it or not, there is a family atmosphere there & the coaches do care about those kids. They are young & I feel bad for them. Everyone knew it was going to be a blow out. Degen was beat by the #2 & #8 (UNI) by a total of 5 points, he's only going to get better. He left VT to continue to get better with the coaches he believes that will help him. Now, I can only hope he kicks azz in Big 12's & can make it to NCAA's. And that Iowa can have multiple champs in the Big & NCAA! Go Hawks.

Reactions: HawkeyeEmpire
So if Spencer Lee decides to get into coaching somewhere other then Iowa, he will be a scumbag just like the ISU coaching staff? Disrespecting former Hawkeyes is a pathetic thing to do. Lower then low. Do any of you remember how appreciated all of these men were while they were here? Some folks on this forum need to grow up.

There are a lot of former hawks coaching that don't get any negativity from this board. In this situation Drescher has made his bed more that a few times and deserves what he gets. There has been some ribbing at the others but nothing too bad considering they set up shop at the in state rival, , lets get real, they are on the other team now. Most of what they catch can be attributed to being in with Drescher anyway. Carl was really appreciated at ISU too....., Paulsens were appreciated at ISU, not so much now. They would be catching even more heat if they were not former hawks IMO. If Zaddick was HC and had Metcalf and DSJ on staff I think there is not near the negativity as there is with Drescher running the show.

There are a lot of former hawks coaching that don't get any negativity from this board. In this situation Drescher has made his bed more that a few times and deserves what he gets. There has been some ribbing at the others but nothing too bad considering they set up shop at the in state rival, , lets get real, they are on the other team now. Most of what they catch can be attributed to being in with Drescher anyway. Carl was really appreciated at ISU too....., Paulsens were appreciated at ISU, not so much now. They would be catching even more heat if they were not former hawks IMO. If Zaddick was HC and had Metcalf and DSJ on staff I think there is not near the negativity as there is with Drescher running the show.

Dressler and Tom Ryan - those two get on my nerves like nails on a blackboard.

Reactions: MVPFAN
So if Spencer Lee decides to get into coaching somewhere other then Iowa, he will be a scumbag just like the ISU coaching staff? Disrespecting former Hawkeyes is a pathetic thing to do. Lower then low. Do any of you remember how appreciated all of these men were while they were here? Some folks on this forum need to grow up.

I agree, nothing against St. John, Zadick and Metcalf as they are guilty by association but Dresser is a different story. He takes shots at Iowa any chance he gets and deserves very little respect. He loves throw blame on anyone except the man in the mirror.

Reactions: DonHawkeye
Don't know, but having the entire staff made up of Iowa favorites looking to me like they wanted to get on the team bus heading to Iowa City just made me feel bad, like pizza and milk. The two guys I wanted to see on the team coaching staff were Metcalf and Mark Perry.

Don't know, but having the entire staff made up of Iowa favorites looking to me like they wanted to get on the team bus heading to Iowa City just made me feel bad, like pizza and milk. The two guys I wanted to see on the team coaching staff were Metcalf and Mark Perry.

I am not yet convinced that Metcalf is an effective coach. We will see.

As much as I loved watching Metcalf as a Hawk, I have never been high on him as HC for a variety of reasons. Perry has much high upside in recruiting and I hope he sticks around a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT