ADVERTISEMENT

Zadick

Aug 17, 2007
Now that it has been awhile, can we once and for all get the real truth as to why Mike Zadick was fired as assistant coach at Iowa?

He left for personal reasons. The word around the street at the time was that he took a job in sales, believe it or not, and became quite successful at it. Here is a picture of the product he was promoting at the time.

e9b3af26ea9630a39b50dfed3b264912_zpsfzebjfde.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkaeg80
IIRC...Zadick wasn't fired. He was put into his position after Schawb left and it was on an interim basis. Due it being a state job eventually (after 2 years) they were forced to post the job and intreview applicants.

I got the feeling that others in the Athletic Department didn't want Zadick around and I don't think it was all up to Brands.

Code word "others"

I think him playing Emmer Fudd hunting rascally rabbits and other critters with wrestlers on the team didn't go over to well with the higher ups when they got caught taking the prey illegally.

Reactions: Spens
I think him playing Emmer Fudd hunting rascally rabbits and other critters with wrestlers on the team didn't go over to well with the higher ups when they got caught taking the prey illegally.

Investigated...yes.

Charged...no?

Who was the game warden?

I do remember the wildlife officer being a female. She found blood on tarp when she went to talk to him, then got warrent to search his property and found a bunch of hides in the freezer, beaver and deer and some other stuff. Any way you look at it, it didn't present a good light on the university. After the VA Tech shooting, anything dealing with firearms is a big no, no on any university this day and time.

I do remember the wildlife officer being a female. She found blood on tarp when she went to talk to him, then got warrent to search his property and found a bunch of hides in the freezer, beaver and deer and some other stuff. Any way you look at it, it didn't present a good light on the university. After the VA Tech shooting, anything dealing with firearms is a big no, no on any university this day and time.

Was he charged?

Yes, you are. He's referencing wrestlers getting caught and saying they hunted with / on zadick property. He is not referencing what Mike was investigated for.

That is exactly what I am referring too...so no I am not confused.

Investigated...not charged.

No, he didn't. Personal, I think it was a witch hunt. If they didn't catch you in the act, then it is hard to charge you. But, the point is, it gave ammunition to the higher ups that didn't like him... Just my opinion.

No, he didn't. Personal, I think it was a witch hunt. If they didn't catch you in the act, then it is hard to charge you. But, the point is, it gave ammunition to the higher ups that didn't like him... Just my opinion.
Yes...that's my point...a witch hunt...

But by whom? Who was the game warden?

Yes...that's my point...a witch hunt...

But by whom? Who was the game warden?
It was not a witch hunt. He did a bunch of illegal hunting. He wasn't charged because the DA. Apparently sat on it. The officer was a female and she is a great officer of the law. She has no vendetta against iowa or the wrestling team. To post otherwise is just stupid.

It was not a witch hunt. He did a bunch of illegal hunting. He wasn't charged because the DA. Apparently sat on it. The officer was a female and she is a great officer of the law. She has no vendetta against iowa or the wrestling team. To post otherwise is just stupid.
You may be right, but I doubt it. If the DNR found evidence of any wrong doing they would have charged him with everything plus...

The fact that he was not charged speaks volumes.

You may be right, but I doubt it. If the DNR found evidence of any wrong doing they would have charged him with everything plus...

The fact that he was not charged speaks volumes.

I don't know details of the incident or of any illegal hunting but I have known the officer in question for 25 years. She's a quality individual not the type of person that would have a vendetta against the wrestling program. She would be the type of person that would have a problem with someone breaking the law.

I also don't know if it had anything to do with his departure from Iowa. However, though technical it is true to say he wasn't fired, from a practical standpoint it is fair to say. He held the job. His title was interim because of university hiring practices but for some reason he ultimately didn't get the job. Maybe they just liked Morningstar better. I don't know.

Someone should have shown her the video when Frayer was smoking him and he came back and won...kidding. Illegal is illegal. Wish Mike z the best. Great hawk.

Face the fact's the only one other than Brands that would make that decision was Gable.

Could be right, and it doesn't make sense to keep Zadick, especially after Terry came on board. You do not need three light weight coaches in the room when you are limited by how many coaches you can have by the NCAA.

You need to develop more than the first four weights if you want win an NCAA title.

Could be right, and it doesn't make sense to keep Zadick, especially after Terry came on board. You do not need three light weight coaches in the room when you are limited by how many coaches you can have by the NCAA.

You need to develop more than the first four weights if you want win an NCAA title.

I believe that was the coaching staff the last time we won a title. I'm also not sure it is fair to say those guys would only be able to develop the first 3 weights. Also, there are the S&C and volunteer positions to utilize bigger guys.

Reactions: DirkTang1
She would have been fired if she were a he.
that is complete bull! The truth of the matter is that if Zadick weren't Zadick he wouldn't be hunting in any state ever again. He was caught doing some pretty shady stuff. Why he wasn't brought to justice is a tough point with all the DNR people I know.

that is complete bull! The truth of the matter is that if Zadick weren't Zadick he wouldn't be hunting in any state ever again. He was caught doing some pretty shady stuff. Why he wasn't brought to justice is a tough point with all the DNR people I know.
Well we know there's nothing more righteous than someone with a badge working for the Government.

The EPA and DNR could do us all a favor and go find some real criminals. Just typical low hanging fruit to pad the accounts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT