ADVERTISEMENT

Zone Blocking Will Work Against Wisky

Johnsoda123

HR All-American
Nov 15, 2015
El Dorado Hills, CA
Wisconsin's strength is active linebackers. In the zone scheme, one OL releases and targets the linebacker. Wadley knows how to find those creases. I look for a big running day. But I still think we lose a close game.

Don't discount Wisky being without their huge (or, YUGE) NT. I think he goes about 340 and if he's out, look for big boy power football up the gut. I still stay Iowa should run an unbalanced line and run the heck out of the ball yet still take a few shots to Scheel and Jerminic down the field.

Reactions: David1979
Essentially the purpose of zone blocking is that it should work against any defense. If it is slow to react the RB goes play side, if they are quick to react the RB has cutback lane. However, Wisconsin D (historically) is similar to ours in which you rarely find anybody out of their gap....which is the exact formula to stop the zone scheme

My outrageous prediction: Wadley goes all Melvin Gordon on them and runs for over 300.

I think that regardless of blocking scheme its critical that our passing game finds early sucess against the Badger secondary...then we can run on them.

Iowa was able to gash Wisconsin last year with the inside zone; the outside (stretch) zone was largely ineffective. If Iowa can have success running the ball up the middle, I like their chances to win this one. If they can't, I don't see how they score enough points to win.

Iowa was able to gash Wisconsin last year with the inside zone; the outside (stretch) zone was largely ineffective. If Iowa can have success running the ball up the middle, I like their chances to win this one. If they can't, I don't see how they score enough points to win.
That is where they need to attack especially with their NG out.

Exactly, agree aross the board on this. Seize momentum early, get some points and get the crowd into the game. I'd say this will be the loudest crowd of the season if we get some early points, etc.

Can't run against NDSU but we're going to gash the Badgers on the ground. A Badger defense that held both Michigan and OSU in check, for the most part. There is some very positive thinking going on in here.

I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Can't run against NDSU but we're going to gash the Badgers on the ground. A Badger defense that held both Michigan and OSU in check, for the most part. There is some very positive thinking going on in here.

I hope I am wrong.

People forget Daniels and welsh were out that game. Makes a difference especially considering welsh is our best OL.

People forget Daniels and welsh were out that game. Makes a difference especially considering welsh is our best OL.
I must admit to not watching that game but was Iowa not allowed to replace Daniels and Welsh with other players also on Scholarship ? Injuries are part of the game stop looking for excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT