ADVERTISEMENT

‘School choice’ isn’t enough for Iowa Republicans

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
We just got done handing billions of state dollars over the next decade to Iowa families who want to send their kids to private school.

It was sold under the benign banner of “school choice.” But behind that simple slogan was an onslaught of fabricated attacks on public schools, hammering on books in their libraries, efforts to support LGBTQ students and how they teach our nation’s history, especially pertaining to racism.

You’d think now that their conservative constituents have a state-funded golden parachute to escape public schools, Republicans might ease up on their attacks. They now own the libs, although the purchase price was exceedingly high.

Advertisement

But you’d be wrong. Apparently “choice” isn’t enough. It never is with this GOP majority and governor.

The latest sword hanging over public schools is House Study Bill 112.

In 2021, the Legislature famously passed a law prohibiting any curriculum or staff training that teaches, advocates or encourages “stereotyping and scapegoating toward others on the basis of demographic group membership or identity.” Allow me to translate. Republicans don’t want to make white kids learn about racism that has shaped our nation and continues to plague our society and institutions. It might make them feel uncomfortable.

HSB 112 weaponizes that 2021 law. The bill would create a process where students and parents can go to the Department of Education website and report teachers and staff they believe are violating the law by teaching divisive concepts. The department would then investigate, and if it finds the report is valid, it would give the local school board 14 days to correct the violation.

If the local board doesn’t act, the district would face a civil penalty of up to $5,000. As the bill is currently written, neither the district nor the accused educator get a chance to mount a defense. All reports would be compiled and reported to the Legislature each July. Surely they’ll be the source of some real rousing speeches on the campaign trail. Context not included.

Teach the Legislature’s preferred brand of history, or else. Hell of a way to celebrate Black History Month.

Opinion Newsletter Signup​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox daily

Backers say the bill is needed because they’ve heard districts are breaking the law. This cannot stand. But, hey, nobody promised being the thought police would be easy.

The Senate is considering a bill that would ban any teaching about gender identity in grades K-8. The House is also considering a bill banning lessons regarding LGBTQ people in grades K-3.

Add those to House File 180, which prohibits districts from offering support to transgender students without parental permission and requires school staff to inform parents if a student has or is transitioning, and you’ve created a chilling effect on educators that makes a polar vortex seem balmy.

Staff must be informants on students. Parents are informants on staff. Maybe that 2022 bill requiring surveillance cameras in classrooms will make a comeback.

So go ahead, teachers, march into this culture war minefield every day. Watch what you say. Watch what you teach. Watch how you decorate your classrooms. The Golden Dome of Wisdom is watching. Truth is no defense. This stuff should do wonders for Iowa’s teacher shortage.

What about the kids being targeted? A few came to bravely testify before Statehouse subcommittees this past week to urge lawmakers to step away from these efforts to deny them support at school and erase their lives from lesson plans. At best, their pleas fell on deaf ears. At worst, they were mocked by bill backers convinced being transgender isn’t a real thing, but is a real threat.

Talk about heartless, and clueless.

With that cruel calculation as a backdrop, backers want state power wielded to further marginalize already marginalized kids, who face higher rates of homelessness and suicide than other kids. They demand that schools out them to their parents, even if the kids fear how their families will react. Lawmakers can’t worry about a few broken lives as they lead us down the path of righteousness.

Reckless indifference is a feature, not a flaw, in this agenda.

Never mind that Iowa law prohibits discrimination based on gender identity. But a bill was introduced this past week to do away with that protection.

Also this past week the governor argued that if a book is banned by one school district, it should be banned in all districts. This is the stuff of an authoritarian regime, not a democratically elected government.

And so much for parental “choice.”

Parents who want their children to learn history without a coat of whitewash and about the lives of LGBTQ people who exist in the real world, in an inclusive environment for all kids, will have very little choice. Public schools will be governed by some Iowans’ rigid version of Christianity and of history that bears little resemblance to reality.

Or you can go to a private, likely religious, school. But probably not if your kid is LGBTQ. Good luck.

Iowa’s once valued public schools are under siege. A barrage of bills is coming so fast it’s hard to keep track. A source of state pride has become the target of dishonest disdain. Call up the litter box legions, the bathroom battalions and the “Don’t Say Gay” dragoons. This is war, on kids who can’t fight back.

Working to create high quality public schools was an Iowa idea. Now we just march in lockstep with a bunch of other red states, checking off boxes on the national GOP playbook.

We can only imagine what these Republicans will think up next. Or maybe we should save time and just ask Ron DeSantis. Because no matter what they approve this year, it won’t be enough. It never is.

Parents have always had "school choice" in Iowa. However,
if they chose a private school, a parochial school, or home
schooling instead of a public school the state of Iowa did not
help pay for it.

Some parents send their children to a Roman Catholic or
Lutheran grade school because of religious education. That
is their choice and they should expect no funding from state
of Iowa.

This is completely disingenuous. The dems have no one to blame but themselves. When the left claims mathmatics is racist, whites are privleged and all blacks are victims.

Just teach the basics and no one would have an issue with the public schools but that is not why the dems want the schools is it?

This is completely disingenuous. The dems have no one to blame but themselves. When the left claims mathmatics is racist, whites are privleged and all blacks are victims.

Just teach the basics and no one would have an issue with the public schools but that is not why the dems want the schools is it?
Link to all this woke curriculum being taught?

help pay for it.

of Iowa.
Why, so the left can maintain their monopoly on using our education system to indoctrinate our youth? I'd rather have my kids learn about morality than CRT or trans issues.

Why, so the left can maintain their monopoly on using our education system to indoctrinate our youth? I'd rather have my kids learn about morality than CRT or trans issues.
Us Libs must be doing a terrible job, Comrade. Iowa is red. The bulk of the MAGA loving legislators went to public schools. Our governor went to public schools.
Getting itchy that you might be mobilized?

It's sad that many people on the right do not understand that Iowa is a lab for all kinds of far right funded educational reforms. Start small in Iowa, perfect the legislation and the messaging, then roll it out nationwide.

The Reason article states several times that the conservative CRT accusations only work if you take the definition of CRT to a "tortured" level.

Last edited:
help pay for it.

of Iowa.
Too late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
Seriously, this is a red state. Either find some democrats that can win, live with it or move. It's really that simple.

Look at 2020. Did anyone actually think that Deidre DeJear would win? Right.......

The Iowa Democratic party is a disaster. They cant win federal office, the governorship nor a majority in the Iowa legislature. They had a mess of a 2020 caucus and now the first in the nation Iowa Democratic Caucus is blown to smithereens. Don't blame Reynolds. She is having her way with the Iowa legislative process not simply because her ideas are better but because of the abject failures of the state's Democrats. You cant blame her. Lets start putting the blame where it belongs libs.

This is like blaming the Hawks for being up 50-3 on the Cyclones and continuing to put their offense on the field. This is how it looks to suck.

(this is not a troll. I mean this as serious analysis)

• Love
Reactions: Hawkman34
Seriously, this is a red state. Either find some democrats that can win, live with it or move. It's really that simple.

Look at 2020. Did anyone actually think that Deidre DeJear would win? Right.......

The Iowa Democratic party is a disaster. They cant win federal office, the governorship nor a majority in the Iowa legislature. They had a mess of a 2020 caucus and now the first in the nation Iowa Democratic Caucus is blown to smithereens. Don't blame Reynolds. She is having her way with the Iowa legislative process not simply because her ideas are better but because of the abject failures of the state's Democrats. You cant blame her. Lets start putting the blame where it belongs libs.

This is like blaming the Hawks for being up 50-3 on the Cyclones and continuing to put their offense on the field. This is how it looks to suck.

So, in your eyes, the only reasonable response to terrible legislation being proposed and passed is to find someone else to elect or move? SMFH

Just like the right wingers to completely ignore the issues and say "if you don't like it, leave". Iowa really is becoming the Mississippi of the Midwest.

So, in your eyes, the only reasonable response to terrible legislation being proposed and passed is to find someone else to elect or move? SMFH

Just like the right wingers to completely ignore the issues and say "if you don't like it, leave". Iowa really is becoming the Mississippi of the Midwest.
No, I also said live with it. Are there other choices I've left out?

Although I intuitively like the 'dont like it leave it' idea, I realize this is dismissive and not conducive to a real conversation. Hence my lengthy follow up discussing and defining the actual issue. Care to comment on that?

Reactions: Hawkman34
No, I also said live with it. Are there other choices I've left out?

Although I intuitively like the 'dont like it leave it' idea, I realize this is dismissive and not conducive to a real conversation. Hence my lengthy follow up discussing and defining the actual issue. Care to comment on that?
Yes, there are other choices. That you don't understand that already is reason enough to dismiss your views. Waste. Of. Time.

Yes, there are other choices. That you don't understand that already is reason enough to dismiss your views. Waste. Of. Time.
Translation: I don't have anything to add to your spot on analysis so I'll bow out like I usually do with my tail between my laugh emojis.

If you don't understand my analysis, just say so.

I have a suggestion...Why don't you add me to your ignore list. It probably would help with your headaches.

Translation: I don't have anything to add to your spot on analysis so I'll bow out like I usually do with my tail between my laugh emojis.

If you don't understand my analysis, just say so.

I have a suggestion...Why don't you add me to your ignore list. It probably would help with your headaches.
Because your nonsense is amusing. Like this post. Clowns are funny.

Link to all this woke curriculum being taught?
Every time someone asks for this there is never a response to the question. But they go on claiming this is something that is happening anyway. Not even Fox News, who I'm guessing where all this crap originates from seems to have examples. Otherwise, you'd think you would at least see those linked as a response.

Kimi turned us into Kansas and decided that wasn't enough. "Let's out-Mississippi Mississippi." Mississippi noticed and said, "Hey wait! Hold our beer..."

I thought Diedre would have made a great governor.

You're kinda full of shit.

Part of the issue is the GOP has been able to redraw districts, as evidenced by the Cindy Axne loss last November. And yet another part was the Rita Hart loss to 3M in 2018, in part thanks to the shenanigans of Paul Pate.

Over 480,000 Iowans did.
Wrong. All we know is that 480k voted and didn't to vote for Reynolds. This doesnt mean they thought she'd be a 'great governor'. They thought she'd be a better governor than Reynolds.

You're kinda full of shit.

Part of the issue is the GOP has been able to redraw districts, as evidenced by the Cindy Axne loss last November. And yet another part was the Rita Hart loss to 3M in 2018, in part thanks to the shenanigans of Paul Pate.
I'd suggest that many of the Iowa Dems on here would reluctantly agree with my analysis.

I’m a teacher. This is fine. But I’m going all in on teaching about how Dixiecrats switched to Republicans immediately after the Civil Rights Act, about what was done to Des Moines’ Center Street Business District, Little Mexico in Cedar Rapids, the red lining in Iowa towns and cities, Iowa’s status as the worst Civil Rights state for Blacks. And I’ll contrast this all with pictures of the people in power in question. No commentary about “if it was bad” though. I’ll let them figure that out for themselves.

Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. The superintendent can’t even answer the teacher affirmatively that you can teach or tell your students that slavery is wrong. All because of this unnecessary law to protect snowflakey white people from feeling any kind of guilt over it. That superintendent should be fired and our legislators should be publicly pilloried for this phucking nonsense.

What does GIAOT think? Is slavery wrong? Is this now a debatable topic in our state/country? WTF?

The educated families will move away or never consider coming in the first place. This has real repercussions.
Around 2045-2050 the joke is going to be on the GOP, that's when several counties in Iowa are projected to turn brown. All of those counties with small, aging populations are not replacing themselves with white people. It's the Latinos of Iowa who are providing the only consistent, measurable population growth. I suspect part of the frenzy around laws like this one are to preserve the sense of whiteness.
None of my kids have expressed any interest in living in Iowa post college. One of them is already gone to Minnesota in pursuit of better opportunities in life.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT